Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
geoff m
18 Feb 18 15:30
| Topic/replies: 17,748 | Blogger: geoff m's blog
Usually have it up by now but canna seem to find it anywhere.
Pause Switch to Standard View Cheltenham Going market
Show More
Report unclepuncle February 18, 2018 6:20 PM GMT
Nobody seems to be pricing it up this year.
Report Cash Is King February 18, 2018 7:16 PM GMT
Simon Claisse will describe the official going as Good to Soft (possibly good or soft in places) irrespective of what it actually is. I've lost count of the number of times the official going description prior to the start of the first race is inaccurate and requires subsequent amendment.
Report unclepuncle February 20, 2018 10:24 AM GMT
Going currently soft but the forecast is now almost totally dry but getting very cold for the next 2 weeks so won't dry out to quickly.
Claisse says he'd like some warm sunshine to help with grass growth.
Report sofiakenny February 20, 2018 1:31 PM GMT
good/good to soft in places.....NAP.
Report duffy February 21, 2018 5:11 PM GMT
Claisse says he'd like some warm sunshine to help with grass growth

Little chance of that for the forseeable, we've got the "beast from the east" to contend with next week...apparentlyScaredGrin
Report geoff m February 28, 2018 10:00 AM GMT
market now on exchange:
That's right, it's up under specials. "Cheltenham Official Going".

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/horse-racing/market/1.140724874
Report jokersjow February 28, 2018 5:16 PM GMT
http://www.turftrax.co.uk/going_maps.html    Lots of good-to-soft and good on the far side
Report RozelKid February 28, 2018 7:03 PM GMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=139&v=HsVF4OETbVE
Report RozelKid February 28, 2018 7:07 PM GMT
The problem is that its going to be pissing down on the 10th,11th,12th - track wont have any time to dry out from the snow to the days of rain - I predict slow tacky ground on teh first day.

Soft , Good to Soft in Places is my prediction.
Report Can't Catch Me February 28, 2018 9:50 PM GMT
You think they can be exact about rainfall in 12 days time?!
Report RozelKid March 1, 2018 12:17 AM GMT

Feb 28, 2018 -- 3:50PM, Can't Catch Me wrote:

You think they can be exact about rainfall in 12 days time?!

It can never be exact in narrow regional areas but you will be surprised how far new technology can now balance out probabilities with weather forecasting- but with regards to the cheltenham going i dont think we need to be exact because of the heavy snow and sleet we know Chelt is most likely to get over the next 48/72hrs.

Even if it just rains for 5 out of the next 10 days then its SOFT ground imo - the prediction is that it will be rain on 10 days.

The Med/long range forecasts are not worth anything with regards to temperature or Wind forecasting - but the predictive data models on the chances of rain are more accurate than people would imagine especially when looking at a general outlook on low pressures across the whole of the UK.

I've checked 4 different forecasts models and between them they predicts between 4-5 days of dry weather across between 1st March - 14th March - some models  are actually predicting that there will still be snow showers between the 9th-11th across cheltenham and the others like the UK Metoffice predict rain - this makes me think that they are agreed on one thing ...the low pressures.

The BBC ditched the MET Office in mid 2017 and now use MeteoGroup for good reason - They are the world's biggest forecasting company and use computer dataset predictions across 50 individual algorithmic models with regards to pressures.

How cool is this btw - http://www.meteoearth.com/#/,-99.65,42.75,2.50,4,1,1,0,0,0,time=1519863438

Report Can't Catch Me March 1, 2018 8:05 AM GMT
Fair play Rk. Best get backing the 5/1 on soft with Lads then Grin
Report unclepuncle March 1, 2018 8:35 AM GMT
I never saw any 5/1 with Laddies - 9/2 was the price. It's now 13/8.
Report RozelKid March 1, 2018 9:07 AM GMT
Catch Me , It is 13/8 not 5/1
Report Can't Catch Me March 1, 2018 10:18 AM GMT
Ah right, apologies.
Report RozelKid March 3, 2018 8:37 PM GMT
The going description for the Cheltenham Festival, set to get under way in ten days’ time, could feature the word ‘heavy’ in the run-up to the meeting.

That was the message yesterday from clerk of the course Simon Claisse, who also estimated there may be more than 200 tons of snow to remove manually from the course.

Speaking just before 1pm, Claisse provided an update on the ground, which had been left covered by snow after the storms that have battered Britain in recent days. He said: “The sun tried to poke through this morning, but it’s become very grey and murky now. The thaw is just beginning to start and the temperatures are just a couple of degrees above freezing.

“It could possibly get a bit milder this weekend and then into next week. I think the ground will be soft when the snow melts, but it’s hard to tell at the moment while it’s still thawing. We think the snow will have amounted to about 12mm and the forecast is showing it could be 15mm of rain by next Sunday.”

Asked if that meant ‘heavy’ would enter the official going description before the meeting, Claisse – whose groundstaff will be swelled by around 40 to 50 extra workers to help move the snow next to the fences and hurdles – replied: “It’s possible, yes.”

Even with that strength in numbers the shovel-wielders may have their work cut out, with Claisse saying: “We think there could be 200-plus tons plus of snow to shift manually, where it has drifted up against the fences.”

Where those fences are on the cross-country course those drifts are between four and six feet deep in places, with Claisse observing: “Not only is that slower to thaw, but you’re depositing a lot of the precipitation in one place.”
Report Cash Is King March 5, 2018 7:36 AM GMT
From Kim Bailey's blog this morning:

Snow gone off the roads and the colour green was back in the description of my surroundings.. Relief.
Relief too for Simon Claisse (Clerk of the course at Cheltenham) who was over for supper last night.
Simon and his team had just dug the last fence clear of snow. Every fence on the course, including the cross country fences, had their snow covering removed by shovel and barrow. That stops false ground around the fences from melting snow, and you might well ask why no tractor help.. tractor tyre marks on the grass.
Simon was happy that the course had taken the weather well and was even amazed to see some grass growth.. The ground is currently described as soft and good to soft in places and with not a huge amount of rain forecasted the likely hood is that the ground on the first day will be good to soft and after 4 days, good… So be warned don’t go mad backing heavy ground horses.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com