Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Cash Is King
14 Feb 18 11:20
| Topic/replies: 1,339 | Blogger: Cash Is King's blog
In no particular order, good for:

1. Getting into the Festival mood
2. Supporting good causes
3. Listening to racing insiders list first or second favourites as their fancies for each championship race

Not good for:

1. Any fresh insights
2. Solving the riddle of Festival handicaps
Pause Switch to Standard View Cheltenham Festival Preview Nights
Show More
Report Cash Is King February 14, 2018 11:21 AM GMT
Preview Night season will soon be upon us. A number of them are listed on these sites:

http://www.jumpsracing.co.uk/preview-nights.php

http://www.fatjockey.com/forum/showthread.php?8816-Cheltenham-Preview-Nights-2018
Report jokersjow February 14, 2018 6:03 PM GMT
You'll hate them then Cash is K? They talk about Handicap plot horses!!!!!!!!
Report duffy February 14, 2018 6:06 PM GMT
Especially Mcmanus ones.!!!
Report jokersjow February 14, 2018 6:09 PM GMT

Feb 14, 2018 -- 12:06PM, duffy wrote:

Especially Mcmanus ones.!!!

GrinGrin the bell!

Report irishone February 14, 2018 9:54 PM GMT
Been to plenty
Realised after a few
Ted w , barney , denis oregan
It was more about charity fund raising
Than it was insight.
Report ashleigh February 16, 2018 11:34 AM GMT
regular preview night at beverley racecourse march 7th 7-30 pm.
panel to be confirmed.
Report Long Shadow February 23, 2018 9:05 PM GMT
Cheltenham Preview Night at Westmanstown Sports & Conference Centre on 7th March 2018 @ 8pm
Panel: DENIS KIRWAN MC, RUBY WALSH, WARREN GREATREX, JACK KENNEDY, SEÁN FLANAGAN, RACHAEL BLACKMORE, DAVE JENNINGS (Racing Post), ANDY GIBSON (Professional Punter, Racing Analyst & TV Pundit), PADDY POWER (Bookmaker), Conference Call with Willie Mullins, Tickets €20 including €10 matched bet, a copy Racing Post Cheltenham Preview Book plus Free Finger Food.
A Raffle will be held on the night with a host of fantastic prizes, including a trip for two (2) to the ‘Cheltenham Gold Cup 2018. Tickets available at (01) 8207888 (Mon to Fri, 9am to 5pm) All proceeds in aid of ‘Barretstown’
Report Cash Is King March 5, 2018 11:19 AM GMT
Any interesting/useful nuggets gleaned from the Festival Preview circuit?

(I won't hold my breath!)
Report equine flew March 5, 2018 3:10 PM GMT
Here you go CIK

http://www.fatjockey.com/forum/showthread.php?8816-Cheltenham-Preview-Nights-2018
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 5, 2018 4:22 PM GMT
RUK tonight at 1730
Report Graeme83 March 5, 2018 5:59 PM GMT
They seem crap now the bookies have everyone in their pocket. Best one i've saw recently was Star Sports funnily enough, on youtube. Very good set-up, with no crowds.
Report Graeme83 March 5, 2018 6:01 PM GMT
Ibrahima who are you sweet on this year. Any ew djakadams or top notch's up your sleeve. I'm keen on Dounikos myself.
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 5, 2018 7:44 PM GMT
I like Bacardys in the stayers if he runs in that.
Movewiththetimes has been plotted for the 0-145 handicap imo.
Hopefully Red River can win for Kim Bailey in the AB on Friday, Killultagh Vic would be my choice in the GC.

Good luck.
Report Graeme83 March 5, 2018 11:05 PM GMT
GL Ibra. Jeez oh that Unibet preview was a snore fest. Sympathies to all who watched or turned up. Bookies have ruined them , and have bought trainers all season.
Report ReaseHeath March 5, 2018 11:37 PM GMT
Thought I was onto something when I read on fatjockeyclub that one of the pundits at Haydock said Might Bite would n't know where the gate was 'cos the New Course is 50 yards further in. Checked the form book and realized that Might Bite figured out where the gate was in a hurdles race on the New Course three years ago.

I think Might Bite should be on a couple of the preview panels personally...
Report equine flew March 6, 2018 11:46 AM GMT
Got an incredible line-up for the Cheltenham Festival @WillHillRacing Radio preview night. Tomorrow at 6pm. @holding_andy, @STurnerTipster, Andrew Thornton, Sir Anthony McCoy, @KOM_GGRacing and many more. Make sure you tune in.

That tweet is from yesterday, so the previous is this evening from 6.00pm on Willhill radio
Report Cash Is King March 6, 2018 1:35 PM GMT
So many racing insiders participating in this circus - owners, trainers, jockeys, pundits etc - but so little said that's of any real interest or value to anyone who's already reasonably clued up on jumps racing.

As I said when I started this thread, perhaps one shouldn't expect any fresh insights but just use these occasions as "Festival foreplay".
Report 1st time poster March 6, 2018 2:58 PM GMT
one of the best was the leeds one when ferdy murphy always turned up,always but some of his up at big prices that hit the frame
Report duffy March 6, 2018 4:04 PM GMT
CIK,

I think you're right, it's just something to whet the appetite and to build the excitement and to that end they serve a purpose.

Having said that you do get the odd little nugget, always worth listening to Russell. I backed Windsor Park purely from hearing his response to Ted Walsh after he pulled his leg about missing the break in one prep, you could tell that Russell was really expecting a big run from his body language as he spoke about the horse.

That's not meant as an aftertime by the way.Grin
Report Cash Is King March 6, 2018 4:29 PM GMT
Duffy - You're right. The occasional nugget does come to light but you have to sift through a lot of twaddle and statements of the bleedin' obvious first.

A few years ago Nicholls was struggling to contain himself when discussing the chances of one of his County hurdle entries - might've been Lac Fontana or possibly (even further back) Sporazene.  Trainers are much more circumspect nowadays.
Report duffy March 6, 2018 4:44 PM GMT
Perhaps we should take as a tip all the horses that get no mention..and back themGrin
Report Fistfulofdollars March 6, 2018 4:57 PM GMT
I agree with your assessment CashIsKing, but I do find it very frustrating the trend regarding information and declarations in the ante post market. as an example the 25 of the first 40 in the weights for the Martin Pipe hdle belong to the three main trainers (Elliott, Mullins and Henderson). It's a similar trend for the County hurdle and not massively different for the Coral Cup. Of which of course many are duplicate entries. Of course owners and trainers have a right to do so and to delay decisions on target to the point where they are clear on ground conditions etc. But, what this means is that the punters role in the ante post markets is severely handicapped by knowing the likely cutoff points, weight rises and the target of each horse on the day. Communication from the top yards in particular is therefore paramount if there is to be any faith for punters to engage in bets before the day. I am fast becoming of the view that I will not do so for future festivals given the poor communication in certain instances which has contributed to disruptive markets. In this regard I find Henderson the most straightforward and Elliott and Mullins for me are far less clear. Elliott in particular is causing chaos with the RSA and NH Chase markets and who knows if there will now be a u-turn on Samcro.
I can handle communication which is clear on the conditions with which a horse might be re-routed from its stated target, but not being put away with conflicting statements. There should in my view be a greater level of responsibility to punters who (in this country) contribute significantly to the finance for the running of racing. Cheltenham ante post markets could be (and used to be) a great way for punters to get much more engaged and speculate on multiples and ante post long prices, knowing the horses racing are likely to be on the top of their form and the result to be a achieved from a true test. OK rant over!!
Report equine flew March 6, 2018 5:13 PM GMT
Got me thinking Fistfulofdallars, if the BHA introduced a new rule in racing that only one horse from any stable was allowed to run in a race, how would that affect racing and would it be for the better?

Hyperthrtical and will not happy but a top owner may think about distributing his horses across the training ranks which can only be good for parity.
Report Fistfulofdollars March 6, 2018 5:26 PM GMT
Equine Flew - Yes it's an idea that I think could be adopted. Also slightly messier is a code that the target race (ie 'first preference') is adopted to make a clear signal. while this would not be binding it would make more transparent those that flip flop more frequently. I think your first suggestion though needs to be extended to owners. If you look at the grand national field currently two owners (JP and Gigginstown) own 12 of the field of 40. As a compromise I think they ought to be restricted to 3 entries per owner (for example). I would also have a code on communication to the public to ensure trainers and owners respect the financial implications of their announcements as in the wider financial markets. While I am not naive enough to know this will eradicate the worst offenders there should be some acknowledgement to the stake punters play. For now it's a sit and pray job that the canadians and yankees at least run in the right race on the right day having faithfully tracked the stable announcements to date!
Report Cash Is King March 7, 2018 11:33 AM GMT
The one whisper that I have picked up on is Nube Negra in the Fred Winter. The Skelton yard seem convinced he's "well in" off a mark of 135 and Oliver Greenall at the Chester Festival Preview last night quoted Skelton's assistant (Tom Messenger) as saying that the team are convinced he'll win.
Report ashleigh March 8, 2018 11:56 AM GMT
beverley cheltenham preview 7th march
panel
darren owen nap santini   albert bartlett
chris dixon nap sam spinner   stayers hurdle
micky hammond nap sire du berlais   martin pipe hcp
malcom tomlinson nap  chef des obeaux   albert bartlett

panel for saint calvados,samcro,monalee,sam spinner,redicean.

panel against getabird,faugheen,supasundae,might bite.
Report Cash Is King March 8, 2018 12:50 PM GMT
At yesterday's Cartmel Preview Night they handed out sheets with the seven "red hot" favourites (Getabird, Footpad, B D’Air, Apple’s Jade, Samcro and Laurina) and asked the audience to write down if they will win or not. The results - strongest to weakest favourite - were as follows:

Buveur D’Air
Apple’s Jade
Altior
Samcro
Laurina
Footpad
Getabird
Report Cash Is King March 8, 2018 12:51 PM GMT
Looks like plenty will be looking to take on Getabird (currently a 6/4 shot) in the Supreme and then Footpad (11/8) in the Arkle.
Report asparagus March 8, 2018 2:28 PM GMT
getabird is 3.1 on here. Clearly will be the biggest price of the 7. Shouldn't really be included. Footpad less likely to drift as no depth to race.
Report charwell. March 8, 2018 5:55 PM GMT
The ATR one was a bit painful to watch as the host was very loud and very unfunny.
Report Ramruma March 10, 2018 7:20 AM GMT
@Cash Is King -- the Cartmel audience has just sorted the "good things" into the same order as their current odds, which I supposed is some sort of confirmation the odds are right.

Buveur d'Air is 8/15 and Apple's Jade is 8/13. The next three in the list are tied at 8/11; and the biggest prices, and the weakest according to the Cartmel jury, are Footpad 11/8 and Getabird at 7/4.
Report Ramruma March 11, 2018 12:54 AM GMT
Saturday's Racing Post Sandown preview video has been blocked on Youtube: This video contains content from [Merlin] Warp Records, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.
Report Ramruma March 11, 2018 1:21 AM GMT
Am I mixing them up? Sandown is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCWX0i2LG8o

The blocked one I think is the RP/Betfair one. Presumably they'll get it unblocked in the morning.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com