Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
.Fidway.
02 Feb 16 16:19
| Topic/replies: 12,005 | Blogger: .Fidway.'s blog
If Bryan Cooper chooses Don Cossack could Ruby disregard the 2 Ricci horses and ride Don Poli. Would he have the choice ?
Pause Switch to Standard View Ruby Walsh to ride Don Poli inGold Cup .
Show More
Report blackballed1 February 2, 2016 4:47 PM GMT
Kinda pointless really as it's never going to happen! As long as Walsh ain't injured he would pick vautour over anything in any race if you listen him!
Report Can't Catch Me February 2, 2016 5:08 PM GMT
Absolutely no chance surely! If RR has a runner, Ruby will be on it. And it's pretty hard to see neither Vautour, nor Djakadam lining up.
Report buddeliea February 2, 2016 5:19 PM GMT
Well Djakadam must be a doubt, and Vautour might not run if they think he cant stay.

Don't think its that bad a call given possible scenarios.
Report DECALEC February 2, 2016 5:21 PM GMT
cooper will probably be told what to ride he mighten have a choice
Report Can't Catch Me February 2, 2016 5:25 PM GMT
Well of course it's possible bud. Anything is possible. But I don't see any reason Djakadam won't make it myself. And if he doesn't, it's even more likely they will go for gold with Vautour.
Report mincer11 February 2, 2016 5:29 PM GMT
These threads are always great for identifying  people.
Report giggsy3444 February 2, 2016 5:34 PM GMT
Pointless thread! Next topic please!
Report buddeliea February 2, 2016 5:35 PM GMT
Djakadam has had a setback in his prep, they cannot get another run into him. Its perfectly feasible to me they may not risk him with any doubts they may have, he is still a young horse.

I know they are desperate to win the race, but if they think Vautour wont stay he wont run, especially when another Grade 1 is there for them. If they are still unsure(as they probably are right now)on decision day they have a tough call to make.

Cooper rides Don Cossack,and all of a sudden Walsh and Don Poli becomes very likely.
Report Tory February 2, 2016 5:40 PM GMT
As if he would get off possibly the best horse in training in Vautour, and jump on board a horse who has benefited from some phenomenal placing in his career! Don Poli is good but that's about it.
Report denman85 February 2, 2016 5:42 PM GMT
Is vatour going to line up in the gold cup, hard to see it staying gold cup trip around chelt, struggled for stamina in King George so in a fast run gold cup think he gets beat a fence
Report Tory February 2, 2016 5:45 PM GMT
His class may see him through - I have absolutely no doubt that he's the best horse in the race and is also a lot better in the spring than he is in the winter. For me it's a match between him and Don Cossack.
Report timtin February 2, 2016 5:46 PM GMT
best horse in training.. how many times do I have to read this absurdity? He's not even the best staying chaser, he doesn't have any form over 2 miles fences and over hurdles he beat Joses Hill and Vaniteux by 6 lengths. His best form is 2nd in the KG, he didn't win that by lengths, he lost, he's not the best of anything as of yet.
Report buddeliea February 2, 2016 5:46 PM GMT
But is he the best horse in training at 3m and 2f?
That's a major question for the jockey.
DPoli,whatever you say about him he definitely will get home well,we cannot say with confidence that Vautour will.
Report buddeliea February 2, 2016 5:48 PM GMT
I think hes the best at around 2 and a half - 3m.
But yes you are correct,he has not proven to be the best horse in training.
Report timtin February 2, 2016 5:55 PM GMT
Yes he's best around 2 and half but his performance in the KG is better than what he did in the JLT against novices.
Report buddeliea February 2, 2016 5:59 PM GMT
Yeh, he was tanking all over the KG field 2 out.
Report wellchief February 2, 2016 6:00 PM GMT
Vautour and Faugheen appear to have the best overall ability of all horses in training; I think it would be difficult to come up with an argument against that.

Whether he stays or not, blah blah (bored sick of reading about it) but raw ability wise, him and Faugheen are on another level.
Report wellchief February 2, 2016 6:01 PM GMT
PS: in response to the original question in the thread = pointless thread.
Report mrglovesthosetins February 2, 2016 6:01 PM GMT
Im all over Don Poli for the Gold Cup and dont understand why he isnt the favourite. Hes been taking the piss out of his rivals at Aintree and in the Lexus, theres more under that bonnet dont you worry about that and if the ground is softer than good the bigger the chance this boy has. Questions have to be answered about his 3 main rivals, will Vautour stay up the hill even on good or firmer ground, can Don Cossack up his game from his last run and will Djakadam remember and come back from a bad fall at the track ?
Report slowerthanjohn February 2, 2016 6:03 PM GMT
WC you'd surely have to add Douvan to that list?
Report wellchief February 2, 2016 6:05 PM GMT
Potenitally yes.  If he does what we all think he can do in the Arkle, then no doubt he would be up there too, but at the moment, Vautour and Faugheen set the benchmark imo; all just opinion though, because they'll never run against each other so all subjective.
Report wellchief February 2, 2016 6:06 PM GMT
*Potentially.
Report Arklearkle February 2, 2016 6:07 PM GMT
I agree with Well. Some people have too much time on their hands and that obviously includes myself to even reply. Just six weeks now but poor Vautour almost be ridden to death on here - its just as well he cant read although I believe Faugheen can manage some smaller words at this stage.
Report Makybe_Diva February 2, 2016 6:10 PM GMT
If Vautaur runs in the GC I can't imagine Ruby wanting to be on anything else.
Report Makybe_Diva February 2, 2016 6:11 PM GMT
*Vautour
Report cacique February 2, 2016 6:15 PM GMT
Walsh rides the best of the willie mulling horses regardless of who owns them.
Between them they will try and carve out as many winners as they can.
Report blackballed1 February 2, 2016 6:25 PM GMT
I don't get why so many people keep saying vautour won't stay! I'm on Don poli myself but I don't see that he didn't stay! Cue card has proven himself too be the best 3m chaser around this season and he just gets up to beat him a hair on a right handed track when he goes better left handed! Remember how bad imperial commander used to run at kempton then ran great at Cheltenham especially the year he beat 2 of the best stayers around so considering he has had 1 go at it I think it's much to hasty to say now he won't stay.
Report impossible123 February 2, 2016 6:31 PM GMT
Betting on Bryan Cooper & Ruby Walsh in the Gold Cup
BC DP=8/15, DC=11/8
RW V=2/7, D=5/2
Report slowerthanjohn February 2, 2016 6:31 PM GMT
cacique that's nonsense he doesn't have first choice over Gigginstown and JP McManus horses.
Report duffy February 2, 2016 7:06 PM GMT
1.If Djak runs and they think Vautour stays, he runs too with Walsh riding.

2. If Djak runs and they think Vautour may not stay, Vautour won't run and Walsh will ride Djak.

3. If Djak doesn't run and they think Vautour may not stay, they'll chance it and run him anyway with Walsh riding.

IMO
Report Arklearkle February 2, 2016 7:13 PM GMT
Duffy agree with 1 and 2 but not necessarily with 3. WM doesnt care which of his owner's horses wins the GC and to be honest Ruby doesnt care either so long as he rides. If say BC picked DC and neither Djak or Vaut were running everyone including MOL would be delighted to have Ruby on DP.
Report cacique February 2, 2016 8:35 PM GMT
Slow than John?

What gold cup horses does mcmanus have? And then what gold cup horses does he have with mullins?

If Walsh thought he'd win a gold cup on Don poli he'd move heaven and earth to ride him.
Report slowerthanjohn February 2, 2016 8:46 PM GMT
You said he rides the best of Mullins horses regardless who owns them? That isn't true, Cooper has first choice of the Gigginstown and Geragthy the first choice of McManus, regardless of Gold Cup or any other race.
Report cacique February 2, 2016 9:01 PM GMT
Fair enough, in that context u r right.
But for the gold cup Walsh only has a few attempts left, he's hardly going to ride vatour as a possible non stayer in the GC, when he can ride him in the Ryanair and win, and then ride Don poli in the gold cup and win.
Report mincer11 February 2, 2016 9:25 PM GMT
Get into bed cacique, youve a better chance of riding Don Poli than Ruby has.
Report cacique February 2, 2016 9:27 PM GMT
We'll see.
Report cyclops February 2, 2016 11:04 PM GMT
To return to the topic, dreamland for Don Cossack fans would be if neither Djakadam nor Vautour turn up, Cooper chooses Don Poli, as PP are odds-on that he will, and Ruby rides Don Cossack. More likely than the supposition at the top of the thread.

But those sort of dreams seldom come true.
Report jasey February 3, 2016 12:46 AM GMT
No Cyclops we want them in the race,a small field is beneficial to King Don.Djak  DP DC CC Vautour should keep away the dead beat horses that are trying to sneak some place money.
Report cyclops February 3, 2016 10:07 AM GMT
Never got that one about Don Cossack wanting a small field; Segal on the podcast was saying how he gets claustrophobic!
For me, tucked away in a largeish field with a strong pace on good ground would be his ideal. Last time, he looked ill at ease with four runners and too much to look around at, similarly at times at Down Royal.
The Punchestown Gold Cup, with a larger field and the other conditions as above saw him at his best.
Report firstimevisor February 3, 2016 2:30 PM GMT
I find it amazing that some people would say Ruby wouldn't possibly ride Don Poli.... please offer some logic for this.
If Cooper opts for cossack then a Willie Mullins stable jockey rides poli. Despite what some believe, Ruby is NOT retained by Ricci but is retained by WPM and is therefore free to ride any of Willie's.
There's not much between Djkadam, Vautour and Don Poli in the betting at this stage. Personally I give Vautour no chance of getting the trip and I suspect that Ruby (and/or WPM) will think so too and cannot see Ruby riding him in a GC.
Report jasey February 3, 2016 4:02 PM GMT
Ha that's funny claustrophobic
I was thinking just the general argy-bargy of the two big field festival races DC has ran in.
Report timtin February 3, 2016 4:44 PM GMT
I listened to the podcast yestrday but I'm pretty sure he said Smad Place is the claustrophobic type...
Report impossible123 February 3, 2016 5:20 PM GMT
Ruby Walsh (RW) would be foolish to desert Vautour and/or Djakadam to partner Don Poli; RW with his status as number pilot for WPM, and with RR, the trainer's main patron, I'd be very shocked if there is no verbal contract or agreement between RW and RR to ride RR's horses. I think the only scenario for RW riding the other Gigginstown runner in the CGC is if WPM has no runner in the race or with no chance of winning. But with at least a runner of the calibre of Vautour or Djakadam the chance is very remote I'd think.
Report The Headmaster February 3, 2016 5:44 PM GMT
Is Don Poli alright?  How good does Mullins think this horse is?

I'm not confident I could answer either question in a positive manner.
Report blackballed1 February 3, 2016 7:31 PM GMT
Said it umpteen times now! Whatever race vautour lines up in ruby ain't getting off him and ruby himself said after the king George he think he stays and 10yards after the line they where back in front of cue card again! So Walsh doesn't need anymore convincing about him being a gold cup horse and mullins has said pretty much the same.
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 February 3, 2016 8:17 PM GMT
I've read this a couple of times now, after the line, it's not during the race is it tho. 10 yards after the line he was in front again,  what when the heat was off and they were being pulled up to a stop.

Ffs, it's just ridiculous!Laugh
Report cacique February 3, 2016 8:20 PM GMT
Djackadam won't run in Cheltenham, Vatour goes for ryanair.

It comes down to what cooper rides for MOL. He's been told to ride DC!!

Willie Mullins will try keep everyone sweet, but the only person wm worries about at Cheltenham is wm.
Report blackballed1 February 3, 2016 8:31 PM GMT
Sts this is not me remember this is Walsh and mullins thoughts on it! Hence why I have thought all along he goes gold cup and backed him just to run in it never mind win!weather he does is another thing! I'm with Don poli myself for it.
Report Ekbalco February 3, 2016 9:19 PM GMT
Cooper will ride what the O'Leary's tell him to ride and the O'Leary's will tell him to ride DP.
Report cyclops February 3, 2016 11:31 PM GMT
Think you're right Ekbalco. But when rides Don Cossack?
Report cyclops February 3, 2016 11:31 PM GMT
Sorry, who?
Report ACStafford February 3, 2016 11:33 PM GMT
Even if Djakadam doesn't make Cheltenham (which he probably will), you would need Vautour to run in a trial and flop for him not to run in the Gold Cup. Ruby loves Vautour and wouldn't consider Don Poli in the same league as him, even over 3m2f at Cheltenham.
Report buddeliea February 4, 2016 6:55 AM GMT
I would not be sp sure about that.
Report trigger3 February 4, 2016 7:16 AM GMT
There is very little chance of Ruby riding Don Poli. It would take 2 unlikely events for it to happen. Neither Vautour nor Djakadam lining up in the gold cup. I'd consider that double to be about a 20/1 chance which is about the same chance as him getting up on Don Poli.
Report Can't Catch Me February 4, 2016 10:41 AM GMT
Doesn't sound like there are any issues with Djakadam.

Walsh may also have a decision to make when it comes to choosing his Timico Cheltenham Gold Cup ride as he could partner either last year's runner-up Djakadam, or narrow King George second Vautour.

Djakadam fell in Saturday's Betbright Trial Chase, but Walsh reports the horse to be on target for the festival.

He said: "I wouldn't put anyone off backing him for the Gold Cup. I was at Willie's yesterday and his vet was very happy with him and he's 100 per cent now."
Report miltons sophie February 4, 2016 12:53 PM GMT
in his body maybe - that looked a heavy fall to me and remains to be seen if it left a mental scar (even if only short term) - maybe ruby is a horse psychologist Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com