Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Joist
07 Jan 15 20:08
| Topic/replies: 1,462 | Blogger: Joist's blog
I was saddened to read that ONeills is closing and reopening as something else. Monday night with music in there is absolute staple and great fun, I hope the new venue maintains Festival week atmosphere.

Where are people's favourite drinking holes for Festival week? Our normal trajectory is Oneills to the Queens Hotel. Would be interested in expanding that this year to more places with live music, racing people, and good craic.
Pause Switch to Standard View Festival Week Nightlife
Show More
Report layingisthewayforward January 7, 2015 9:38 PM GMT
O'Neills is owned by the same company but has been rebranded.. Much more of a food pub ( with higher prices )

I'm staying in Bishops Cleeve this year for the 1st time..Are there any establishments worth visiting their ?  Ta
Report Glossy January 7, 2015 9:44 PM GMT
O'Neills is now 'All Bar One' and very much a poncey, wine-bar type place.

laying, a few decent pubs in Bishops Cleeve area, the best of which is probably The Apple Tree in nearby Woodmancote. You may already know The Royal Oak in Prestbury - not far away at all. Decent pub.
Report layingisthewayforward January 7, 2015 10:18 PM GMT
Ta Glossy

All Bar One is a couple of units down from what used to be O'Neills.  O'Neills is now Harry Cook Freehouse.  Looks a bit poncy also!
Report lucky22 January 7, 2015 10:21 PM GMT
chaps any recommendations for bars/pubs in cheltenham itself?
Report The RealDeal January 7, 2015 10:27 PM GMT
The Royal Oak is a top boozer (and it's in Cheltenham itself).
Report Glossy January 7, 2015 11:22 PM GMT
Laying, yes sorry you're right - got the 2 mixed up. As you say, they're much of a muchness.

TRD, the royal oak is in prestbury - its actually very close to the back of the course.
Report Glossy January 7, 2015 11:23 PM GMT
Depends what you're looking for lucky; what sort of bar/pub are you after?
Report JOCI Club January 7, 2015 11:42 PM GMT
We'll be in Bishops Cleeve (as ever) and frequenting (mainly) The Royal Oak and also the King's Head. One evening spent in the curry house before hitting the boozers.
Report The RealDeal January 8, 2015 5:46 AM GMT
It certainly is Glossy, and after a couple of early liveners in The Royal Oak i recommend the walk across the fields to the course, it gets the juices flowing as you approach the course directly opposite the main stand (slight digression fron nightlife there though!)
Report onehundredandeighty January 8, 2015 7:07 AM GMT
Lucky,you want to be heading to Taylors as its a good pub full of racing folk and is central so you can choose which way to move on.After racing i tend to go in the old restoration and work down through town Cool
Report cufcno1 January 8, 2015 8:50 AM GMT
There's a marquee in someone's back garden behind the car park,you come out the back garden and the grandstand is in front of you,it's free to get in !
Report Rathgorman82 January 8, 2015 9:11 AM GMT
No surprise to see O'Neills go as most of the O'Neills chain went donkeys ago along with the rest of the 'Irish Bar' fad (Scruffy Murphys anyone?) that sprung up in the mid-late 90s.
A great. Steady pub in the Town Centre is the Bayshill which is behind the central bus station. Always busy, great atmosphere, lunchtime and evening, has music on throughout the week and serves good nosh for breakfast/lunch. Wadsworth pub with good range of beers. The usual run of Cotswold and Prince of Wales when hopping off the race buses is always good hectic fun immediately post the races for an hour or two but then they tend to quieten down later into the night these days. The Prince used to be brilliant craic before the old owner got rid two or three years back.
Report Rathgorman82 January 8, 2015 9:15 AM GMT
180 - great shout about Tailors, cant believe i'd forgotten it - we go every year!
There's great equality behind the bar - a token male barman alongside about 10 gorgeous young fillies guaranteed !
Report bluebirdfan January 8, 2015 11:55 AM GMT
Tbh most pubs you go in Festival week are grand, full of race goers having the craic
Report Mr Eboue January 8, 2015 11:59 AM GMT
I've had a couple of great meals at the Tivoli recently. Outstanding food. Drinks aren't cheap but it's a great place to relax after you've done your bollux at the race course.
Report brandyontherocks January 8, 2015 1:43 PM GMT
The Tivoli was our watering hole when we used to go to Cheltenham. Lovely boozer.
Report Can't Catch Me January 8, 2015 2:07 PM GMT
Mr E... have you eaten in The Purslane?

We tend to go the same places every year and was going to give that a bash this year.
Report Can't Catch Me January 8, 2015 2:09 PM GMT
Also Mr E, forgot to ask... have any decent Chinese restaurants opened yet? Its about bleedin' time!
Report Mr Eboue January 8, 2015 2:21 PM GMT
I havn't myself mate but my sister had her Christmas party there and said it was top notch. I've only heard very good things about the place.

The only Chinese I go to is Bar & wok on the lower high st. It's always very busy but the food is consistently good. There's a choice of about a dozen mains instead of the usual 100 or so but they always get the food spot on.
Report Can't Catch Me January 8, 2015 4:47 PM GMT
Brill, thanks mate
Report lucky22 January 8, 2015 9:30 PM GMT
cheers for the tips lads....will have to be a crawl through cheltenham trying them all!!
Report Joist January 8, 2015 9:39 PM GMT
Tailors is sounding good. Can I ask for recommendations for live music pubs/bars? If it makes any difference, particularly the Monday night.
Report cufcno1 January 8, 2015 9:59 PM GMT
Get tickets for the preview evening at the royal oak,davy Russell was hilarious last year,also richard Johnson,lovely bloke who put us all on fingal bay
Report Can't Catch Me January 8, 2015 10:00 PM GMT
Is that on the Monday night?
Report Rathgorman82 January 8, 2015 10:01 PM GMT
Tailors is great for live music.
Report cufcno1 January 8, 2015 10:10 PM GMT
Yes ccm,i woke up half cut and hadn't even seen a horse,someone advertised it on here last year
Report wellchief January 8, 2015 10:31 PM GMT
I think staying in Cheltenham is a bit of a rip off to be honest, especially when you have to book about a year in advance to get anywhere.

Then again, we're always in a big group (late 20's to early 30's) so we find it harder than most to find somewhere.
Report Joist January 9, 2015 7:14 PM GMT
Thanks, Rathgorman - Tailors it is!
Report wellchief January 9, 2015 7:31 PM GMT
Then again, we're always in a big group (late 20's to early 30's) so we find it harder than most to find somewhere.

That's the age range by the way, not the size of the group - not that popular LaughLaugh

There's normally between about 8 and 10 of us, so we're happy with somewhere like Worcester or Bristol at the moment, but I reckon when we get older the group will get smaller and we'll look for somewhere near HQ.
Report wellchief January 9, 2015 7:36 PM GMT
Also, this year for the first time, I'll be heading over to Punchestown Festival.

Always do Cheltenham and Aintree, but this year I'll be doing a 2013 Sprinter Sacre and doing all three Grin

I'll report back with in depth comparison (if I can remember after the ale Laugh)
Report peatysandy January 10, 2015 7:32 AM GMT
venue changing this year cufcno1 , i sent you a message with further details.
Report onehundredandeighty January 10, 2015 9:49 AM GMT
Shocked
Report el chine January 12, 2015 7:15 PM GMT
All roads after racing lead to the Queens :) always a few funny sights and stories late on that go down in the festival memory bank.
First stop after racing is the United services club , on right just as you've come down the hill, beer still at a decent price and a plate of scram .

57 sleeps
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! January 12, 2015 7:28 PM GMT
Hope you got a large wallet for the Queens
Was in their Saturday and a large red wine was
£8

Wink
Report rogerthebutler January 12, 2015 7:42 PM GMT
A large red wine!!!!????

How much for a fkn Babycham then??Grin
Report owen94 January 12, 2015 8:15 PM GMT
You can get a bet on the nite racing in the marquee if your an Arab and know some one from the rock
Report Makybe_Diva February 21, 2017 8:31 PM GMT
ttt for Joist.
Report Joist February 21, 2017 8:33 PM GMT
Thanks, Makybe Diva! I'm sure there's another thread too, pre-dating this one. Would be good to see that one as well and rifle through for any gems that I might have missed at the time!
Report Makybe_Diva February 21, 2017 8:35 PM GMT
Found this thread from the horse racing forum...
http://community.betfair.com/horse_racing/go/thread/view/94102/30423395/cheltenham-night-out?post_id=543218151#543218151
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 February 21, 2017 8:44 PM GMT
Just one question, I'm all for slightly higher prices for accommodation etc during summer holidays festivals and the likes but from someone who frequents hotels for work as I travel all around the country, how can u justify paying £2-400 a night during festival week for a effing travelodge express or equivalent  that I frequent generally for £30-50?

Crazy!!

Hotel Birmingham train £24 return job done!
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 February 21, 2017 8:45 PM GMT
And for the lads working in Cheltenham that week they have to travel cos even the local villages are piss taking too
Report Joist February 21, 2017 8:48 PM GMT
I suppose you justify it as paying for the convenience of being in Cheltenham town centre during the Festival, rather than justifying the price with the quality of the accommodation!

You're right though, it is a joke. I've tried Gloucester (never again) and Tewkesbury (not too bad), but hard to beat the convenience of the town centre. Saying that, I'm only actually staying the Monday night this year and that's a bit more reasonably priced.
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 February 21, 2017 8:52 PM GMT
My mate has scored for betfair enclosure Tixall again for gold cup day and to take advantage of the free bar etc we've decided this time to travel Thurs night stay in brum and get train. Though he's there the weds as well with sporting life lol
Last time was 4 years ago and I drove from newcastle upon Tyne via Blackpool and back again that same day. Was a great day but couldn't do that again!
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 February 21, 2017 9:06 PM GMT
Brum hotel, up 7am, visit bookies by new Street station for the offers and pw, 920 train into chelt for 1020 to baldys for last ten mins of his pushes, breakfast walk to course first pint by noon! Happy days!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com