Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gav11
06 Mar 13 15:24
| Topic/replies: 42 | Blogger: gav11's blog
There is a blast of severe cold weather expected to effect uk and ireland next week beginning on monday. Its expected to come in from eastern europe and is commonly known as the “beast from the east”. Its too far out at this stage to predict anything with 100% accuracy but it is guaranteed to get very cold with the possibility of record breaking low march temps.

Quote from weather expert “the Cheltenham Festival is at 60-70% chance of severe disruption and cancellation due to any combination of frozen ground, low ambient temps, lying snow, public access / safety considerations.”

Sorry for been the bearer of bad news......
Pause Switch to Standard View High possibility of weather...
Show More
Report Ballydoyle March 6, 2013 3:25 PM GMT
FFS man!!!AngryAngryAngryAngry
Report Ballydoyle March 6, 2013 3:26 PM GMT
Booked to go Thu/Fri...hotels sorted, flights sorted...dont want anything fooking it up!
Report Ballydoyle March 6, 2013 3:28 PM GMT
Where you reading this?
Report irish_guy_13 March 6, 2013 3:33 PM GMT
mon nite -1
tue daytime 5 degrees nite -3
wed  daytime 7  nite -4
thurs  daytime 6 night -3
friday daytime 5 degrees

all from weather pro
Report Ballydoyle March 6, 2013 3:35 PM GMT
Beast from the east was in January according to what I have google'd...light rain is all I see in weather severity...not sure about the true facts of this tbh
Report Biscar Two from a mile back March 6, 2013 3:37 PM GMT
Because the weather front comes from the east and beast rhymes with east rags such as the daily mail will dub a said front "the beast from the east".

Next month the same rag will declare a bbq summer hope this helps.
Report Gordon63 March 6, 2013 3:40 PM GMT
all the sites which i've used in past (and have been fairly reliable) have overnight temps below zero but daytimes above 5deg so should be OK, guess they may cover up the landing/take offs though..another sign that the ground will be drying
Report gav11 March 6, 2013 3:41 PM GMT
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=1392;sess=
Report Banned_Banks March 6, 2013 3:42 PM GMT
There is a 60-70% chance that I may wear a slightly thicker coat next week.

That is about as dramatic as things are going to be.
Report CVByrne March 6, 2013 3:46 PM GMT
If this was true Simon Claisse would mention it. He hasn't so it's betfair spam until he does. Happy
Report Graeme83 March 6, 2013 3:49 PM GMT
I got in touch with some people at Nasa weather station. Apparently there's going to be a invasion of tall green creatures, who will land in the middle of the track, then they plan to scan the spectators and look for a basebal hat wearing truck driver to flash at, before flying back to their own planet.
Report gav11 March 6, 2013 4:00 PM GMT
Cheltenham forecast for monday 11/03
Daytime temps not rising above 1c, windchill of -11c, snowshowers in afternoon.....

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=6;ct=6074~Cheltenham;sess=#forecast
Report CVByrne March 6, 2013 4:07 PM GMT
Ah netweather.tv that amazingly well known and reliable source of weather info. Cheers I'll cancel my time off work and my train tickets to Cheltenham.

LaughLaugh

If it was true, you'd think maybe, just maybe it'd make the news on somewhere like hmmmm, the racing post, or sportinglife.

But no, it's confined to the betfair forums. LaughLaugh
Report duncan idaho March 6, 2013 4:10 PM GMT
YES, LOOKS LIKE IT'S OFF
Report harry callaghan March 6, 2013 4:14 PM GMT
Graeme83 06 Mar 13 15:49 Joined: 21 Sep 07 | Topic/replies: 7,857 | Blogger: Graeme83's blog
I got in touch with some people at Nasa weather station. Apparently there's going to be a invasion of tall green creatures, who will land in the middle of the track, then they plan to scan the spectators and look for a basebal hat wearing truck driver to flash at, before flying back to their own planet.

Laughgreen creatures?? I thought it could only be E.T. that could do this?
Report gav11 March 6, 2013 4:23 PM GMT
UK Met Office Outlook for Monday 11 Mar 2013 to Wednesday 20 Mar 2013:

Much colder conditions are expected to develop early next week. Rain, sleet and hill snow in the southeast at first on Monday clearing away with brighter conditions elsewhere spreading south. Snow showers are likely to increasingly affect northern and eastern regions through next week, but all areas are at risk of seeing sleet, hail and snow showers at times. There is a risk of some significant and disruptive amounts of snow in places, but there is currently uncertainty regarding which areas are most at risk. There will however, also be some sunshine, particularly further west. Widespread overnight frosts returning with a risk of icy patches. Signals are that it may gradually become slightly less cold by the following week as bands of rain edge eastwards, perhaps preceded by further snow.
Report CVByrne March 6, 2013 4:29 PM GMT
Sure that's nothing ffs, you suddenly go from -11 in your first forecast to snow in north and east with sunshine in west and south from met office. Laugh

Daytime temps well above freezing so not a worry at all. Nobody give a monkeys about what you want to "predict". The people who matter are the clerk of the course and his forecasts.
Report jimmy777 March 6, 2013 4:33 PM GMT
I'll be **** out a beast from the east in wednesday morning after a day on the guinness and a curry tuesday night
Report rogerthebutler March 6, 2013 4:35 PM GMT
This is the biggest pile of sh1t since the ringmaster spiked Dumbo's nightime drink with a laxitive.
Report Ming_the_Merciless March 6, 2013 4:36 PM GMT
do I get my antepost bet on Pont Alexandre for the Albert Bartlett back?Excited
Report Makybe_Diva March 6, 2013 4:37 PM GMT
My heart sank when I saw this thread.

I'm choosing to ignore it.
Report hicksterthetrickster March 6, 2013 4:56 PM GMT
Yes there is a hurricane coming in on Tuesday.
Around 3.20.
Don't worry though it will be following Zarkander
Report buddeliea March 6, 2013 5:05 PM GMT
All the OP was doing was letting us know a forecast he had seen.
not sure theres any need to be having a go at him like some are,just cos you read something you dont like.
Report duffy March 6, 2013 5:19 PM GMT
I think it was the staggering predictions that people were baulking at, the last time I witnessed predictions like that I was watching "the day after tomorrow!...incidentally, there's no fooking way I'm evacuating to mexico!!!CrySilly
Report Graeme83 March 6, 2013 5:20 PM GMT
"green creatures?? I thought it could only be E.T. that could do this?"

Harry, i think you watched a different version from the rest of us. The majority watched the official family friendly edition.
Report gav11 March 6, 2013 5:32 PM GMT
Thanks buddeliea for the support.....
As you kindly say i am just passing on a medium range forecast that i have seen. I really hope it doesn't cause disruption to the festival as i have been looking forward to this for 12 months. I am just flagging up that the potential exists for disruption.
As of now nothing is set in stone, as accruacy can only be relied upon with a 48 hour window in weather forecasting.
We will have to wait till Sunday to get a reliable forcast for the opening day of the festival but the medium term weather models/charts are showing a deep cold air system pushing into the UK from the east on Sunday/Monday. How cold and how much precipitation it brings cannot be predicted with any accuracy at this stage.
Lets just hope it doesn't get as bad as the models are currently showing, which can very easily happen!
But one thing is certain at this stage is that it will become much colder next week.
Report theunrealbandit March 6, 2013 5:36 PM GMT
Given that forecasts for sub-zero overnight temperatures are being widely predicted for Monday night, what do any of you know about how frost affects the ground. How does gd/sft pre-frost ground ride the next day? Does it make it dead ground? Sods law that we need to start taking this unwelcome variable into consideration! The going was likely going to be perfect for a number of my selections, but now this :(
Report tommycockles March 6, 2013 6:09 PM GMT
CheltenhamRacecourse ‏@CheltenhamRaces

Brilliant card for Tues! A few cold nights coming up, so we're putting frost covers on take offs and landings. No threat to racing.
Report yeast March 6, 2013 6:35 PM GMT
Cheltenham officials are preparing to take precautions against a forecast cold spell ahead of the start of the Festival.

With frost predicted for the first half of next week, the team at Prestbury Park are getting ready to put down frost covers on all vulnerable areas, including the take-offs and landings. And if even colder weather comes into the equation, the entire course will be covered.

However, milder conditions should come in for the last two days of the meeting on Thursday and Friday.

"The forecast hasn't really changed since the beginning of the week, which is rain (on Thursday) then bits and pieces until Monday so we're looking at between 12 and 14 millimetres," said clerk of the course Simon Claisse.

"But it is getting cold at the beginning of next week. We are looking at dawn temperatures on Monday/Tuesday of minus 3C, minus 4C. We had minus 4C yesterday and were schooling horses on the cross-country course by 10am, so it shouldn't be any concern for us. However, just as a precaution we are using frost covers for take-offs and landings on the chase and hurdle courses for Tuesday.

"They will go down on Sunday together with other vulnerable areas and parts of the cross-country course.

"If that weather forecast deteriorates by Friday we may take the decision to do a full course deployment on Sunday. It's a little bit early to make that call.

"We are geared up to do that as it looks to be a prudent measure given that it is going to turn cold again before getting mild again for Thursday and Friday. There is no frost forecast for the end of next week."

The going is described as good to soft, good in places (chase and hurdle courses); good to soft, soft in places (cross country).
Report Makybe_Diva March 6, 2013 6:45 PM GMT
Thanks for that, Yeast.
Report CVByrne March 6, 2013 7:01 PM GMT
We had minus 4C yesterday and were schooling horses on the cross-country course by 10am, so it shouldn't be any concern for us.

HappyCool

No problems what so ever, except I'll need a hat on Tusday
Report supersavo March 6, 2013 7:03 PM GMT
FFS, just had a No1 haircut, will have to buy a silly hat with a feather on course.. do Damart sell maroon thermals togo under the maroon cords ? Cool
Report alleged22 March 6, 2013 7:07 PM GMT
betfair fleece hats this year please, ive got half a dozen scarfs...
Report buddeliea March 6, 2013 7:11 PM GMT
Looks like all precautions are being made,and as long as daytime temperatures are high enough then all should be fine.

Still dont excuse ignorant abuse of someone trying to be of help to us.
Report ReaseHeath March 6, 2013 9:28 PM GMT
We had minus 4C yesterday and were schooling horses on the cross-country course by 10am, so it shouldn't be any concern for us.

More practice for local hero Any Currency.

He'll have been over the fences more often than Spot Thedifference ( Love ) by the time he makes his Cross Country debut.

Remember this when you're about to exclude horses with no banks experience from your calculations.
Report theunrealbandit March 6, 2013 9:44 PM GMT
Hey Rease, that's good to hear because I took 20/1 for Any Currency just after lunch today Excited Would the right honourable gentleman from whereever is local to AC agree with me, that a good run at Catterick, with it's undulations and sharp turns, bodes well for a bid in the cross-country Cool
Report Can't Catch Me March 6, 2013 9:52 PM GMT
This has affected my plans fairly significantly. Two gansey's instead of one IMO.
Report ReaseHeath March 6, 2013 10:06 PM GMT
unreal, I meant local to Cheltenham, mate which is where Keighley trains so it's easier for him to school him there.

My tongue was in my cheek to some extent but his trainer said he would school him over the fences before deciding to run him, he's still in so QED.

I also intend to back him in due course.

Apologies for hijacking the weather thread!
Report nostaw_01 March 6, 2013 11:10 PM GMT
Taken directly from sporting life website:

With overnight ground temperatures expected to fall to as low as -5C next Tuesday, the team at Prestbury Park are getting ready to put down frost covers on all vulnerable areas, including the take-offs and landings.

And if even colder weather comes into the equation, the entire course will be covered.

However, milder conditions should arrive in time for the last two days of the meeting on Thursday and Friday.

"The forecast hasn't really changed since the beginning of the week, which is rain tomorrow then bits and pieces until Monday so we're looking at between 12-14mm," said clerk of the course Simon Claisse.

"But it is getting cold at the beginning of next week. We are looking at dawn temperatures on Monday/Tuesday of -3C, -4C. We had -4C yesterday and were schooling horses on the cross-country course by 10am, so it shouldn't be any concern for us.

"However, just as a precaution we are using frost covers for take-offs and landings on the chase and hurdle courses for Tuesday.

"They will go down on Sunday together with other vulnerable areas and parts of the cross-country course.

"If that weather forecast deteriorates by Friday we may take the decision to do a full course deployment on Sunday. It's a little bit early to make that call.

"We are geared up to do that as it looks to be a prudent measure given that it is going to turn cold again before getting mild again for Thursday and Friday. There is no frost forecast for the end of next week."

The going is described as good to soft, good in places (chase and hurdle courses); good to soft, soft in places (cross country).
Report CVByrne March 6, 2013 11:17 PM GMT
buddeliea 06 Mar 13 19:11 Joined: 19 Mar 04 | Topic/replies: 8,346 | Blogger: buddeliea's blog
Looks like all precautions are being made,and as long as daytime temperatures are high enough then all should be fine.

Still dont excuse ignorant abuse of someone trying to be of help to us.

Sorry bud but the op was totally full of sh1t with his 60-70% chance of disruption or cancellation. He was trying to cause a stir when there was utterly no risk at all to the festival.

Deserves a fair whack of abuse imo.
Report buddeliea March 7, 2013 7:37 AM GMT
Nope,he was just quoting a forceast mate.
Bang out of order imo.
Report buddeliea March 7, 2013 7:55 AM GMT
Anyway,need to concentrate on the horses,no time for arguing about this,and theirs enough weather threads to keep us informed anyway.

Pi$$ing down in the south today.

Now Oscar Whisky is finally ruled out of the CH,i now want decent ground for ROR and Overturn,my biggest winners now on Tuesday.
Looking very much in the balance,as it has for some time.
Just hoping the cold spell hits before too much rain has fallen.
Report roobuck March 7, 2013 8:14 AM GMT
Got a feeling its going to be slow, sticky and possibly very tiring ground on Tuesday
Report Can't Catch Me March 7, 2013 8:16 AM GMT
Dead ground looking nailed on. Zarkandar's nam all over it IMO.
Report el chine March 7, 2013 10:39 AM GMT
have to get a dam site colder than that to make me take a coat!! would only leave it in the queens at 2am ;-)
Report rogerthebutler March 7, 2013 10:52 AM GMT
el chine Joined: 27 Oct 04
Replies: 398 07 Mar 13 10:39   

have to get a dam site colder than that to make me take a coat!! would only leave it in the queens at 2am ;-)

Thinly veiled 'I'm a Geordie and youse are all a bunch of southern, shandy-drinking puffs' posting
Report The Sawyer March 12, 2013 7:56 AM GMT
All that stick poor Gav got.

Snowing here now and fecking dead cold.

Good luck to all of you and if you are going wear an extra layer.
Report Steamship March 12, 2013 7:58 AM GMT
Good call gav
Report unclepuncle March 12, 2013 7:59 AM GMT
OP 1 - naysayers 0 Laugh
Report buddeliea March 12, 2013 8:10 AM GMT
Few people on here should take a look at themselves.

You all look bl00dy stupid this morning.
Report buddeliea March 12, 2013 8:11 AM GMT
Sorry bud but the op was totally full of sh1t with his 60-70% chance of disruption or cancellation. He was trying to cause a stir when there was utterly no risk at all to the festival

Oh dear mate!!!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com