Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sageform
17 Feb 13 11:46
| Topic/replies: 21,405 | Blogger: sageform's blog
Great to see so many of the great races from past festival on RUK at the moment. great memories of winners and plenty of losers backed. Mysilv getting beat in the World Hurdle the low point but Flimsy Truth one of the best. I not only backed it myself but tipped it to a box holder who told all his guests. Paid £70 on the Tote. It was unbeaten in 3 previous staying chases at Cheltenham. See More Business another great win.
Pause Switch to Standard View Cheltenham memories
Show More
Report .Fidway. February 17, 2013 1:01 PM GMT
Klairon Davies the highlight for me from that lot. Loved that horse.
Report Fabulous February 17, 2013 1:09 PM GMT
Calm down Fidway, we get the message Laugh
Report joondalup February 17, 2013 1:20 PM GMT
Rooster Booster lobbing round  and going clear, me with various slips @12s acting like a 5 year old great day
Report Fabulous February 17, 2013 1:25 PM GMT
See More Business Love for me.
Report Mystic Wind February 17, 2013 4:03 PM GMT
Just come back from having a pint in a pub that had a picture of Viking Flagship on the wall - what a tough nut he was.

Rooster Booster is one of my favourite memories too; although another grey Champion Hurdler - Valiramix - is my my worst memory.
Report judorick February 17, 2013 4:13 PM GMT
Valiramix CryCry still have nightmares
Report The Sawyer February 17, 2013 4:18 PM GMT
Saxon Farm for me - last winner I had at the Festival
Report The Sawyer February 17, 2013 4:21 PM GMT
joondalup - just noticed your name

From Perth or just a traveller?
Report ZEALOT February 17, 2013 5:18 PM GMT
BACK IN FRONT " hard on the steel " 2 out - supreme '03

Fantastic Grin
Report joondalup February 17, 2013 5:24 PM GMT
hi sawyer just a traveler spent a couple of years in WA second fav place on earth
Report Orsoncart February 17, 2013 6:03 PM GMT
Probably Unsinkable Boxer coming down the hill doing handstands (didn't back it though)

The finish between Minnehoma and Bradbury star in the RSA (I think) eveyone going bonkers as they went head to head (I had backed Bradbury Star though Cry)

From a selsish point of view Karshi winning the stayers hurde, still my biggest win to date.
Report mandor February 17, 2013 6:15 PM GMT
Northern game winning triumph hurdle back in the eighties.
Hardy Eustace 1st Ch victory.
Sublimity winning is champion hurdle.
Report ZEALOT February 17, 2013 6:25 PM GMT
Cheltenham Result
17 Mar 1998
« 5:05 UNICOIN HOMES GOLD CARD HANDICAP HURDLE FINAL (CLASS B)
(Class 2) (5yo+) (3m1f110y) 3m1½f Good 13 hdles
£26,935.00, £8,080.00, £3,890.00, £1,795.00
RESULTRATE RACE
Hide all comments in runningShow all pedigrees
              HORSE/SP    AGE    WGT    TRAINER/JOCKEY    OR    TS    RPR    

«    1          Unsinkable Boxer (IRE) 5/2F    9    10-12     M C Pipe    136    *    *    »
A P McCoy

Held up and behind, steady headway 8th, led on bit approaching 2 out, canter

«    2    4      Tompetoo (IRE) 9/2    7    10-9     Nigel Twiston-Davies    133    *    *    »
Carl Llewellyn

Chased leaders, hit 5th, ridden and every chance 3 out, soon outpaced, stayed on approaching last

«    3    ¾      Spendid (IRE) 12/1    6    10-10     D Nicholson    134    *    *    »
Adrian Maguire

Held up, headway 8th, stayed on under pressure flat

«    4    2      Metastasio 14/1    6    10-10 v1    D G McArdle    134    *    *   
H Rogers

Always tracking leaders, led 3 out, soon headed, stayed on one pace

«    5    6      Ardronan (IRE) 11/1    8    10-2     Jonjo O'Neill    126    *    *    »
Report tony2914 February 17, 2013 6:34 PM GMT
had lost of memories but the main one was a horse called latalomne in the queen mother in about ten years ago. For two consecutive years it fell at the same fence 2 or 3 from home when goin well both times,and yes i backed it both times my lasting memory is the jockey punching the ground think it was a guy called vinnie slattery. happy days !!!!!!!!
Report alleged22 February 17, 2013 6:48 PM GMT
dessie winning the gold cup in 89
Report BigU2fan February 17, 2013 7:38 PM GMT
Istabraq winning first of 3 Champion Hurdles. Can remember exactly where i was standing and the view i had is still fresh in my mind (like it was yesterday
1992 Triumph Hurdle - didn't fancy anything so gave a mate a fiver to put on Duke of Monmouth(33/1) while i went to the bar. Wasn't even watching the race then after I'd been served turned around and looked up at the TV just in time to see it win. Paid 45/1 on the tote which was a bonus
Report Clarky9 February 17, 2013 7:53 PM GMT
Mine would be Sir Deschamps winning the Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys Hurdle in 2011. Went to a Cheltenham preview the week before and a mole from the Mullins stable said it was there best chance of the week. Went out the next day and had £900 ew at 10/1. It went off 4/1 fav and never looked like winning until a furlong to go when it took off and got up on line.

Worst memory would be Long Run winning the Gold Cup. Cost me a fortune :(
Report the Inca February 17, 2013 8:19 PM GMT
Getting skint on kasbah and Voy Por then going out and finding out car had been clamped and towed away!  Never rains but it pours. LOL
Report hicksterthetrickster February 17, 2013 8:19 PM GMT
Here's a strange oe. Istabraq pulling up and the cheer when it went past the crowd
Report the Inca February 17, 2013 8:22 PM GMT
Remember that - pure class from the crowd.  My best memory has to be McCoy getting Wichea Lineman up on the tuesday a few years back
Report the Inca February 17, 2013 8:22 PM GMT
Remember that - pure class from the crowd.  My best memory has to be McCoy getting Wichea Lineman up on the tuesday a few years back
Report silvercoat February 17, 2013 9:04 PM GMT
I was in the temporary stand in the Best Mate enclosure when Istabraq pulled up in front of us.

It was I who started the applause.
Report .Fidway. February 17, 2013 9:46 PM GMT
tony,was vinnie keane
Report Anybody help February 17, 2013 9:58 PM GMT
I think we all have a favourite race or memory from the Festival, BUT surely its just the entire show that we all cant wait for?? I will be up at 4am 3 weeks on Tuesday to make sure my drive gets me into Cheltenham for breakfast. Walking into the course with several like minded souls, all hoping to walk out a few kid richer, but all sharing the excitement kids have on Christmas Eve. Seeing the course on that Tuesday lunchtime in all its glory whilst every, owner, trainer, jockey and punters dreams are still alive really is HEAVEN!!
Report the Inca February 17, 2013 10:58 PM GMT
Hit the nail on the head - its like waiting on santa coming again!  That tuesday buzz is unreal! then the rollercoaster ride starts.
Report the Inca February 17, 2013 10:58 PM GMT
Hit the nail on the head - its like waiting on santa coming again!  That tuesday buzz is unreal! then the rollercoaster ride starts.
Report Navel-Gazer February 18, 2013 12:46 AM GMT
AH - I'm 47 now and with all the grief that I get from life in general, that 'buzz' seems to be disappearing by the year (it's as if I can't GET IT UP any more) but the memories I've had anticipating the last 30+ Festivals will NEVER leave me, and I used to think I was some kind of pervert with the sheer unadulterated 'horn' I used to get.

Seriously, I would genuinely have foregone licking the gash of a gorgeous bit of skirt because Cheltenham took priority, and when I've been an employee, the FIRST thing on my mind was arranging my holidays around the Festival...and I've seen them all!

It's refreshing to realise I have never been alone Grin
Report Navel-Gazer February 18, 2013 12:54 AM GMT
PS - I used to go out goosing the easy single mothers on a Monday night (their giro day in those times) every fcukin' week in Liverpool (Grafton & Saturdays) but Cheltenham was far more important to me Grin

That's how bad a perv I've been! Devil
Report judorick February 18, 2013 12:55 AM GMT
GrinGrinCool
Report Navel-Gazer February 18, 2013 1:03 AM GMT
JR - you're a decent forumite and I'd like to think you were NEARLY as bad as me Grin
Report Makybe_Diva February 18, 2013 3:33 PM GMT
Inglis Drever winning his 3rd World Hurdle Love
Report Ballydoyle February 18, 2013 4:11 PM GMT
"And Moscow Flyer isss maaagnificent and is Champion again"

"Denman has pounded Kauto Star"

"And Ruby Walsh takes dead aim on Sanctuaire" (had to include that cos we battered him all rates from 8s)

"Istabraq with his favourite hill to climb"

"Direct Route on the far side...Edredon Blue on the near side...Ederedon Blue fights back" with Holt having a mini heart attack

Magic. I Love Cheltenham me
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK February 18, 2013 4:21 PM GMT
Smurfit Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy

Rooster Booster

William Hill National Hunt Handicap Chase

Youlneverwalkalone

my best afternoon at cheltenham 2003

had a good bet on the booster, my mate had him at 40s antepost
youlneverwalkalone i was given a tip 6 weeks before hand
i passed it on to work mates and lived of it for while,
i ended up at cheltenham on the thursday form the winnings great times
Report hicksterthetrickster February 18, 2013 4:30 PM GMT
Direct route and edradon blue in queen mother.
Backed direct route and every time I watch the replay I think I have won!
Report rogerthebutler February 18, 2013 4:39 PM GMT
''''and Harchibald is laughing at him!'

(Bloody wasn't 10 seconds later!)
Report TITCH 1 February 18, 2013 6:45 PM GMT
The day after "the winds", was traveling to Cheltenham when heard of it being called off, felt like someone kicked me in the guts !

Had to go on the Thursday for the 10 races i believe, backed 5 winners on the day and had the privilege of Master Minded's first QM and Inglis Drevers third WH .

Inglis was cheered home like the start he was, emotional Blush
Report Makybe_Diva February 18, 2013 6:45 PM GMT
Laugh

Brave Inca winning the Champion Hurdle another very happy memory Happy
Report TITCH 1 February 18, 2013 6:46 PM GMT
*star
Report Makybe_Diva February 18, 2013 6:47 PM GMT
Oops...was laughing at Roger's comment.

Yes...remember the feeling well when the Wednesday was called off Sad
Report yeast February 18, 2013 7:09 PM GMT
2 standout:

Danoli and Dorans Pride together coming around the home turn in the Sun Alliance - The atmosphere was absolutely electric. Never felt it before or since. Didn't have a penny on either but it didn't matter a jot.

Master Minded hacking up in his 1st QM. I recall the crowd going quiet all all thinking simultaneously "Christ what have we just seen here".

Roll on 3 weeks.
Report Joist February 18, 2013 7:13 PM GMT
One for me is at my first Festival, I'd backed Amaretto Rose at 11s for the Supreme and so when she came there absolutely cruising 2 out and the commentator mentioned as such and the cavernous roar that accompanied the comment, it mattered not one jot that she didn't win- it was a magical, unforgettable moment.

Since, my favourite moments I think have Inglis Drever's groundhog day rallying down the hill after getting outpaced and then once back in touch he'd never be beaten.
Report workrider February 18, 2013 7:16 PM GMT
same here hickster....Cry
Report Steamship February 18, 2013 7:31 PM GMT
The best meeting in the world. So many heroes and so many tragedies I have been spellbound by Cheltenham since I was 10.
Report sageform February 18, 2013 7:35 PM GMT
More good and bad ones that I backed ante post.
Voy Por Ustedes. Arkle at 70. Nice one. Never in any danger.
Karanja at 70. Unseated before the start when favourite!
Report FOYLESWAR February 18, 2013 9:32 PM GMT
2 magical mcoy rides one good for me one bad ......... backed hill society arkle ,was absolutly sure it had got up champleve done him !.............. backed synchonised  last years gold cup  what a ride .
Report Moose February 18, 2013 10:25 PM GMT
Would love to see a video of when Kings Curate won the stayers hurdle. From memory, he seemed well beaten 3 out and collared Run For Free(?) on the line.
Report OI OI DIXIE February 18, 2013 10:49 PM GMT
Pigeon island -2 years ago.. Grand annual. Scooted up the hill - on at 10s
Report Hanbury February 19, 2013 2:38 AM GMT
Hey OI OI, I managed to get 20/1 on Pidgeon Island!! Had £100 on him too!!
Report Ballydoyle February 19, 2013 10:42 AM GMT
50s in morning the Pigeon
Report TheAnorak February 19, 2013 11:22 AM GMT
Moose,

Here you go :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hObu5dvK7N0
Report THE LEGEND February 19, 2013 11:27 AM GMT
20min Stewards enq .., on the Bumper Rhinestone Cowboy and Pizarro still gutted had 800quid on Cowboy
Report Moose February 19, 2013 11:50 PM GMT
Brilliant stuff TheAnorak, your you tube search skills obviously surpass mineLaugh

Still doesn't look the winner 3 out does he?
Report TheAnorak February 20, 2013 8:13 AM GMT
Moose,

I had an interest in a horse with Mellor at that time, so had followed Kings Curate all season - I've watched that video a good few times and knew it was on there somewhere. Of course he wouldn't be able to win the race today, as soon after that it was switched to the New Course and as a result, the trip is about 3 furlongs shorter than it was then.

My personal Festival favourite race is the 1984 Arkle, which produced a duel between Noddys Ryde and Bobsline from three out. I was watching from the old members roof stand (now demolished) and got so carried away I was shouting 'come on England' as they ran to the last fence - and I wasn't the only one either!

You can see that race here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LB5eBQMJ60

The Arkle starts at 5m 48s in, and the key part from about 8m in on that film.
Report bluebirdfan February 20, 2013 2:48 PM GMT
The roar when Hoiles announced that Kauto, Denman and Long Run were together coming down the hill
Report Makybe_Diva February 20, 2013 6:14 PM GMT
Buena Vista winning his second Pertemps Final is a very happy Cheltenham memory.
Report atho February 20, 2013 7:20 PM GMT
best memories the battles between night nurse and monksfield classics
Report nalky February 20, 2013 9:50 PM GMT
my worst memory was 1990 the year before i started going to the festival,i done 3 each way doubles and a each way treble,1st horse henry mann won at 20/1 next topsham bay won at 40/1 i took 33/1 last one i changed my mind from new halen to king of the lot,king of the lot was 3rd at 7/1 i think, new halen won at 66/1.  oh dear !!! never change your mind .
Report SirFresh February 20, 2013 11:31 PM GMT
Supreme Novices in 2002.

First race in 2 years at Cheltenham and the first time I had an interest in racing other than the National.

Was a glorious sunny day and me and a couple of mates bunked off 6th form to watch it in the bookies.
Report SirFresh February 20, 2013 11:31 PM GMT
*Cheltenham festival
Report casual February 22, 2013 11:25 PM GMT
always One Man winning Champion Chase best memory- didn't back him but didn't care.
Report alleged22 February 22, 2013 11:41 PM GMT
^^^^^^^^^^^^ great answer
Report cussafuar February 23, 2013 12:06 AM GMT
back in front and norman williamson in the supreme swinging off them coming round the home turn...class!!!   likewise rooster booster and dickie pulling double..nothing beats seeing a horse at cheltenham absolutely swinging off them coming round the home turn...xenophon and mick fitz was good too!!...there is no track like the festival track!!!
Report what do i do now? February 26, 2013 11:01 AM GMT
I'm a Festival novice compared to the vast majority of youse: one day in 2010, two days in 2011 and one day last year.

In fact, I'd only been to about four race meetings before the Thursday in 2010 and I'd never backed a winner. I don't know much about racing, but to have around 20 losing bets out of 20 is some effort.

Anyway, my first day at Cheltenham continued my run of staggering ineptitude, then it was the Ryanair. Roaring home Albertas Run was a moment I'll never forget.

I found out half an hour ago that my mate's come up trumps with a couple of comps for the Tuesday of this year's Festival. Thirteen days and counting. Cannot wait.
Report THE LEGEND February 26, 2013 10:51 PM GMT
Standing in Best Mate beer tent when You'll Never Walk Alone....although i ainy no scouser would even go as far as i hate them....did make me
Report THE LEGEND February 26, 2013 10:53 PM GMT
laugh .....some sight 1000 people singing he song glasses raised
Report Mystic Wind February 27, 2013 8:38 AM GMT
Probably already mentioned, but Edredon Bleu vs Direct Route in the 2000 QMCC is as good a race as you'll ever see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-fGO_MlYc0
Report IanD83 February 27, 2013 1:21 PM GMT
Only went to the festival for the first time last year (for the last two days) despite watching for several, so don't really have that much to compare with. Out of those two days though, personal highlight was Salut Flo winning the Byrne Plate. Don't normally go for short priced favs in handicaps but Salut Flo's a somewhat inexplicable favourite of me and a my friends. Had a sentimental charge and was rewarded for mug punting of the highest order.

Of races where I wasn't actually there, Long Runs gold cup. The old legends Denman (the horse that got me hooked on NH racing) and Kauto Star battling away and getting done by the young pretender Long Run.
Report the yomper February 27, 2013 2:47 PM GMT
Dizzy- many moons ago-Happy Days
Report el chine February 27, 2013 2:52 PM GMT
dessie winning in 89 , i was in the what is now the best mate enc, sleet,rain,an freezing cold but what a sporting moment.
Report el chine February 27, 2013 2:54 PM GMT
an one for my pocket, last yrs x country ! an one for my liver Queens hotel !
Report rubhahunish February 27, 2013 3:37 PM GMT
Have to agree with Rooster Booster's champion hurdle, especially as my mate had been particularly rude about "that jumped-up handicapper" throughout the season.  To see him make his move at the top of the hill and put the race to bed so easily is definitely my highlight of highlights.
Report duffy February 27, 2013 3:38 PM GMT
^
me tooHappy
Report Navel-Gazer February 27, 2013 3:53 PM GMT
Always had a soft spot for Rooster Booster as I'd had an awful Cheltenham the year he won the County Hurdle, and I decided to do a hefty E/W bet (for me) to recoup around £500 losses over the week in the getting out stakes, thinking he was a place bet to nothing.

I really didn't expect him to win (in those days he always found something to beat him) and I couldn't believe that he got me straight (and a little bit of profit) after picking utter shíte over the previous few days Confused

After the finale, an appalling Festival was turned around and it was a case of onwards & upwards for next year - surely I'm not alone with an experience like that.
Report Navel-Gazer February 27, 2013 3:55 PM GMT
I don't know why the confused emoticon appeared though it's there for a reason now Confused
Report rubhahunish February 27, 2013 4:27 PM GMT
Rooster was the first in my Lucky 15 that year which included Moscow, Azertyuiop and...effing Valley Henry, yes it should have been Best Mate but Henrietta Knight gives me the pip, and didn't like the owner either - reminded me of "I am considerably richer than yow"
Report paulo47 February 27, 2013 6:41 PM GMT
Muscles on muscles ....Istabraaq , the unbelievable Night Nurse on that ground , the selflessness of Micky Fitz making sure Adrian M hadnt swallowed his tongue when they both came down (was by fence ) and being the only spectator at the start of Call Equiname's CC as I wanted to see if Or Royal jumped off (It was allowed then , and he did ...they had the long tom ! )
Report bigblockhead February 28, 2013 12:33 AM GMT
Alexander Banquet beating Joe Mac in the bumper, 50,000 shouting for Joe , Me shouting Ruby home on his first festival winner - Then Silence!
banquet had only gone and beat the irish hotpot - oooops...!
Another Rum - NH Chase 2005, after a few pints adopted the scientific method of picking winners in huge fields ermmm! "i want that one!" a la little britain! to see it storming up the hill like a 5f sprinter and then waiting to see what the tote was going to pay on a 40/1 sp winner (paid 64.00) good times.
one of the best hours i had at the festival was backing celestial halo in the 2008 triumph than playing up the winnings on Denman in the gold cup an hour or so later , the sheer site of denman the pretender serving it up to the champ kauto was an awesome spectacle.........
heres to many more great memories from the 2013 festival........
Report runuptherail February 28, 2013 12:54 PM GMT
Dunguib! Never before or since have I lost my voice. I had backed him twice ante post and other than Mikheal D'hagenet had a stinking day! The last 70 i had in my pocket (bearing In mind doing all 4 days) went on when opened at 7s! I could have been told I had got the plague as they turned the final bend, it wouldnt mattered I was that happy!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com