Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sageform
17 Feb 13 11:46
| Topic/replies: 21,405 | Blogger: sageform's blog
Great to see so many of the great races from past festival on RUK at the moment. great memories of winners and plenty of losers backed. Mysilv getting beat in the World Hurdle the low point but Flimsy Truth one of the best. I not only backed it myself but tipped it to a box holder who told all his guests. Paid £70 on the Tote. It was unbeaten in 3 previous staying chases at Cheltenham. See More Business another great win.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 80
By:
.Fidway.
When: 17 Feb 13 12:01
Klairon Davies the highlight for me from that lot. Loved that horse.
By:
.Fidway.
By:
.Fidway.
By:
Fabulous
When: 17 Feb 13 12:09
Calm down Fidway, we get the message Laugh
By:
joondalup
When: 17 Feb 13 12:20
Rooster Booster lobbing round  and going clear, me with various slips @12s acting like a 5 year old great day
By:
Fabulous
When: 17 Feb 13 12:25
See More Business Love for me.
By:
Mystic Wind
When: 17 Feb 13 15:03
Just come back from having a pint in a pub that had a picture of Viking Flagship on the wall - what a tough nut he was.

Rooster Booster is one of my favourite memories too; although another grey Champion Hurdler - Valiramix - is my my worst memory.
By:
judorick
When: 17 Feb 13 15:13
Valiramix CryCry still have nightmares
By:
The Sawyer
When: 17 Feb 13 15:18
Saxon Farm for me - last winner I had at the Festival
By:
The Sawyer
When: 17 Feb 13 15:21
joondalup - just noticed your name

From Perth or just a traveller?
By:
ZEALOT
When: 17 Feb 13 16:18
BACK IN FRONT " hard on the steel " 2 out - supreme '03

Fantastic Grin
By:
joondalup
When: 17 Feb 13 16:24
hi sawyer just a traveler spent a couple of years in WA second fav place on earth
By:
Orsoncart
When: 17 Feb 13 17:03
Probably Unsinkable Boxer coming down the hill doing handstands (didn't back it though)

The finish between Minnehoma and Bradbury star in the RSA (I think) eveyone going bonkers as they went head to head (I had backed Bradbury Star though Cry)

From a selsish point of view Karshi winning the stayers hurde, still my biggest win to date.
By:
mandor
When: 17 Feb 13 17:15
Northern game winning triumph hurdle back in the eighties.
Hardy Eustace 1st Ch victory.
Sublimity winning is champion hurdle.
By:
ZEALOT
When: 17 Feb 13 17:25
Cheltenham Result
17 Mar 1998
« 5:05 UNICOIN HOMES GOLD CARD HANDICAP HURDLE FINAL (CLASS B)
(Class 2) (5yo+) (3m1f110y) 3m1½f Good 13 hdles
£26,935.00, £8,080.00, £3,890.00, £1,795.00
RESULTRATE RACE
Hide all comments in runningShow all pedigrees
              HORSE/SP    AGE    WGT    TRAINER/JOCKEY    OR    TS    RPR    

«    1          Unsinkable Boxer (IRE) 5/2F    9    10-12     M C Pipe    136    *    *    »
A P McCoy

Held up and behind, steady headway 8th, led on bit approaching 2 out, canter

«    2    4      Tompetoo (IRE) 9/2    7    10-9     Nigel Twiston-Davies    133    *    *    »
Carl Llewellyn

Chased leaders, hit 5th, ridden and every chance 3 out, soon outpaced, stayed on approaching last

«    3    ¾      Spendid (IRE) 12/1    6    10-10     D Nicholson    134    *    *    »
Adrian Maguire

Held up, headway 8th, stayed on under pressure flat

«    4    2      Metastasio 14/1    6    10-10 v1    D G McArdle    134    *    *   
H Rogers

Always tracking leaders, led 3 out, soon headed, stayed on one pace

«    5    6      Ardronan (IRE) 11/1    8    10-2     Jonjo O'Neill    126    *    *    »
By:
tony2914
When: 17 Feb 13 17:34
had lost of memories but the main one was a horse called latalomne in the queen mother in about ten years ago. For two consecutive years it fell at the same fence 2 or 3 from home when goin well both times,and yes i backed it both times my lasting memory is the jockey punching the ground think it was a guy called vinnie slattery. happy days !!!!!!!!
By:
alleged22
When: 17 Feb 13 17:48
dessie winning the gold cup in 89
By:
BigU2fan
When: 17 Feb 13 18:38
Istabraq winning first of 3 Champion Hurdles. Can remember exactly where i was standing and the view i had is still fresh in my mind (like it was yesterday
1992 Triumph Hurdle - didn't fancy anything so gave a mate a fiver to put on Duke of Monmouth(33/1) while i went to the bar. Wasn't even watching the race then after I'd been served turned around and looked up at the TV just in time to see it win. Paid 45/1 on the tote which was a bonus
By:
Clarky9
When: 17 Feb 13 18:53
Mine would be Sir Deschamps winning the Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys Hurdle in 2011. Went to a Cheltenham preview the week before and a mole from the Mullins stable said it was there best chance of the week. Went out the next day and had £900 ew at 10/1. It went off 4/1 fav and never looked like winning until a furlong to go when it took off and got up on line.

Worst memory would be Long Run winning the Gold Cup. Cost me a fortune :(
By:
the Inca
When: 17 Feb 13 19:19
Getting skint on kasbah and Voy Por then going out and finding out car had been clamped and towed away!  Never rains but it pours. LOL
By:
hicksterthetrickster
When: 17 Feb 13 19:19
Here's a strange oe. Istabraq pulling up and the cheer when it went past the crowd
By:
the Inca
When: 17 Feb 13 19:22
Remember that - pure class from the crowd.  My best memory has to be McCoy getting Wichea Lineman up on the tuesday a few years back
By:
the Inca
When: 17 Feb 13 19:22
Remember that - pure class from the crowd.  My best memory has to be McCoy getting Wichea Lineman up on the tuesday a few years back
By:
silvercoat
When: 17 Feb 13 20:04
I was in the temporary stand in the Best Mate enclosure when Istabraq pulled up in front of us.

It was I who started the applause.
By:
.Fidway.
When: 17 Feb 13 20:46
tony,was vinnie keane
By:
Anybody help
When: 17 Feb 13 20:58
I think we all have a favourite race or memory from the Festival, BUT surely its just the entire show that we all cant wait for?? I will be up at 4am 3 weeks on Tuesday to make sure my drive gets me into Cheltenham for breakfast. Walking into the course with several like minded souls, all hoping to walk out a few kid richer, but all sharing the excitement kids have on Christmas Eve. Seeing the course on that Tuesday lunchtime in all its glory whilst every, owner, trainer, jockey and punters dreams are still alive really is HEAVEN!!
By:
the Inca
When: 17 Feb 13 21:58
Hit the nail on the head - its like waiting on santa coming again!  That tuesday buzz is unreal! then the rollercoaster ride starts.
By:
the Inca
When: 17 Feb 13 21:58
Hit the nail on the head - its like waiting on santa coming again!  That tuesday buzz is unreal! then the rollercoaster ride starts.
By:
Navel-Gazer
When: 17 Feb 13 23:46
AH - I'm 47 now and with all the grief that I get from life in general, that 'buzz' seems to be disappearing by the year (it's as if I can't GET IT UP any more) but the memories I've had anticipating the last 30+ Festivals will NEVER leave me, and I used to think I was some kind of pervert with the sheer unadulterated 'horn' I used to get.

Seriously, I would genuinely have foregone licking the gash of a gorgeous bit of skirt because Cheltenham took priority, and when I've been an employee, the FIRST thing on my mind was arranging my holidays around the Festival...and I've seen them all!

It's refreshing to realise I have never been alone Grin
By:
Navel-Gazer
When: 17 Feb 13 23:54
PS - I used to go out goosing the easy single mothers on a Monday night (their giro day in those times) every fcukin' week in Liverpool (Grafton & Saturdays) but Cheltenham was far more important to me Grin

That's how bad a perv I've been! Devil
By:
judorick
When: 17 Feb 13 23:55
GrinGrinCool
By:
Navel-Gazer
When: 18 Feb 13 00:03
JR - you're a decent forumite and I'd like to think you were NEARLY as bad as me Grin
By:
Makybe_Diva
When: 18 Feb 13 14:33
Inglis Drever winning his 3rd World Hurdle Love
By:
Ballydoyle
When: 18 Feb 13 15:11
"And Moscow Flyer isss maaagnificent and is Champion again"

"Denman has pounded Kauto Star"

"And Ruby Walsh takes dead aim on Sanctuaire" (had to include that cos we battered him all rates from 8s)

"Istabraq with his favourite hill to climb"

"Direct Route on the far side...Edredon Blue on the near side...Ederedon Blue fights back" with Holt having a mini heart attack

Magic. I Love Cheltenham me
By:
FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK
When: 18 Feb 13 15:21
Smurfit Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy

Rooster Booster

William Hill National Hunt Handicap Chase

Youlneverwalkalone

my best afternoon at cheltenham 2003

had a good bet on the booster, my mate had him at 40s antepost
youlneverwalkalone i was given a tip 6 weeks before hand
i passed it on to work mates and lived of it for while,
i ended up at cheltenham on the thursday form the winnings great times
By:
hicksterthetrickster
When: 18 Feb 13 15:30
Direct route and edradon blue in queen mother.
Backed direct route and every time I watch the replay I think I have won!
By:
rogerthebutler
When: 18 Feb 13 15:39
''''and Harchibald is laughing at him!'

(Bloody wasn't 10 seconds later!)
By:
TITCH 1
When: 18 Feb 13 17:45
The day after "the winds", was traveling to Cheltenham when heard of it being called off, felt like someone kicked me in the guts !

Had to go on the Thursday for the 10 races i believe, backed 5 winners on the day and had the privilege of Master Minded's first QM and Inglis Drevers third WH .

Inglis was cheered home like the start he was, emotional Blush
By:
Makybe_Diva
When: 18 Feb 13 17:45
Laugh

Brave Inca winning the Champion Hurdle another very happy memory Happy
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies: