Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Somerset Sam
06 Jul 21 08:40
| Topic/replies: 1,244 | Blogger: Somerset Sam's blog
I've noticed looking through some catalogue pages nares who have been covered by stallion A and then a short time later covered by another stallion.

Can those on here shed light as to the possible reasons for this happening? Cheers.
Pause Switch to Standard View Covering Query
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire July 6, 2021 12:08 PM BST
It’s largely about Stallion availability S.S.

Although we always hear about veterinary science advances making these big books of mares possible, it is also about stallion owners greed that keeps them slightly bigger than that.

Your chosen  stallion might be off games through injury when your mare is due for a second cover or if the liaison hasn’t proved fruitful after 3 jumps then you might simply go elsewhere.
The hardened stud masters might politely suggest you go elsewhere if the stallion is too busy to fit you in also.

So a cover by more than one stallion is not uncommon.

One of my choices was off games for a few days this season so I had to re route. It was the first cover though in this case.
Report kincsem July 7, 2021 10:32 AM BST
With one of my two mares she was in France for months, covered a few times by the chosen stallion.  No pregnancy.
Back in Ireland the vet treated her with a product to clear her tubes.  The mare got pregnant to a cover by a stallion in Kildare.
Report potentialmillionaire July 7, 2021 10:45 AM BST
That’s good news Kincsem.
So often I’d it starts going wrong in a stud season that’s it.

It is good that with different veterinary advice you solved the problem, I hope your second choice wasn’t too obviously second best!
Report potentialmillionaire July 7, 2021 10:46 AM BST
My commiserations on the size of the bill though!
Report kincsem July 8, 2021 2:46 PM BST
Just the price of a bottle of drain cleaner. Laugh
The stud owner told me the vet was over the moon as it was the last try after two breeding seasons of failure.
Report potentialmillionaire July 8, 2021 3:48 PM BST
Beggar the vet, it’s you that must be over the moon!
Report truehoncho July 8, 2021 7:10 PM BST
Well done Kincsem. I had a mare fail 3 times to Monsieur Bond the year before the old stalwart past on. I didn't think it was my mare but didn't have the confidence to go elsewhere!!
Report Formtwist July 9, 2021 7:48 AM BST
The presumption of course is that a mare in foal in the circumstances you observed, Somerset Sam, is sired by the second stallion. Very rarely DNA testing of the foal after birth shows it to be sired by the first stallion. If memory serves Sprinter Sacre was such an instance.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com