Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
15 Mar 21 17:19
| Topic/replies: 31,876 | Blogger: workrider's blog
I hope everyone is having plenty of colts...
Pause Switch to Standard View Anyone got any foals on the ground...
Show More
Report roadrunner46 March 16, 2021 8:31 PM GMT
i want a filly , im hoping for
Report potentialmillionaire March 17, 2021 10:52 AM GMT
I have a colt and a filly Workrider and I guess they are the way around that I would have chosen should one have to have the fairer sex.
I have a mare that I would like a filly from - providing it is nice enough to keep - so am expecting a colt there and I guess one more filly from the remaining mare is on the cards too. All healthy to date though so can’t complain ( but will do, obvs)!
Report workrider March 22, 2021 4:26 PM GMT
Delighted for you Potentialmillionaire , hopefully no late nights either ,well done may I ask who they are by...
Report potentialmillionaire March 23, 2021 10:14 AM GMT
The colt is by Havana Gold Workrider, the filly has ticked ‘no publicity’!
Report workrider March 23, 2021 3:02 PM GMT
Laughthe filly has ticked ‘no publicity’! Love it...
Rate
Report Big Black Cat March 23, 2021 3:27 PM GMT
Good to hear the safe patter of hooves for all so far. Wishing you all lots of success with them all.
Report sageform March 26, 2021 9:28 AM GMT
The lkatest discussion about mares in jump racing does make the old preference for a colt more questionable. Obviously a colt that could get to Group class is worth big money but otherwise fillies and mares are getting more an more races confined to them and the standard of many mares only Listed races is desperately low. Apart from a few classics, almost all races are open to fillies and mares but colts and geldings are barred from more than 10% of races. Two more at Musselburgh today.
Report proxygene May 28, 2022 12:58 PM BST
How has anyone gone this year? One colt one filly for me, one mare in foal, scan on Monday for the other.
Report potentialmillionaire May 28, 2022 7:37 PM BST
Not much activity on here at the moment proxy but perhaps we’ll rev it up with a bit of scintillating banter!
Report potentialmillionaire May 28, 2022 7:39 PM BST
I have had 3 fillies and 5 back in foal with the former unable to pay for the latter.

With so much uncertainty around at least the doomongers and naysayers will be able to point to my demise and say I told you so.
Report kincsem May 29, 2022 11:43 AM BST
February colt by Recoletos
April filly by Camacho
The first mare is in foal to Doha Dream
The second mare was covered by Cotai Glory
Report truehoncho May 29, 2022 2:15 PM BST
1 colt foal and one mare dead and one mare not yet (and looking unlikely) in foal. Roll on 2023.
Report proxygene May 30, 2022 9:35 AM BST
glad I asked Sad
Report proxygene May 30, 2022 5:30 PM BST
Second mare empty so do I go for a June cover or will I also now get the "doomongers and naysayers being able to point to my demise and saying I told you so" ?

After all Motivators dont have to be early anyway?
Report potentialmillionaire May 30, 2022 6:03 PM BST
If I promise not to ‘told you so’  shall you reciprocate?!

A late foal commercially will not put people off, but everything else will need to be perfect and that’s not easy.

But you know the score
Report Formtwist May 30, 2022 6:15 PM BST
Commiserations to you all, though it is some small comfort to me that others have had a sticky year. Final count one colt and one filly alive, one of each dead and after a lot of time and diesel the mares are finally all in foal. Like you PotM the foals won't cover costs but being optimistic the yearlings are quality and fashionable so they might possibly keep the wolf from the door. How has France worked out for you, Proxy?
Report proxygene May 31, 2022 4:46 PM BST
France is working out ok I think,
not only am I depleting my pension at a slightly slower rate,
I have managed to move my stock on,
yet still might access breeders prizes if I jump through enough hoops of red tape,
Have not (knowingly) been laughed out of any of my stallion choices by the standers of such stallions,
and have actively retained a potential mare successor into training.
None of this yet consititutes turning a corner but the seeds have been planted......maybe.

Wouldn't have the temerity to be a told you so-er. At least your collection of fillies probably look nice PM.

Report potentialmillionaire May 31, 2022 9:57 PM BST
In the absence of wishing to be outdone on the disaster front I forgot to mention that my three live foals were all I could muster from 5 pregnancies.
If there is anyone out there not too familiar with the game, perhaps when you are next reading about a 2 million quid sales topper from the Lloyd Webbers (who don’t exactly need the cash anyway) you’ll remember some of the realities above!
Report truehoncho June 1, 2022 5:17 PM BST
I think the last 2 years has been a challenge for small breeders. In 2019 I thought I was on the up, that was particularly over optimistic. At least the sales seem to be holding up if you have the right foal/yearling. I also think that the UK suddenly has its bigger than usual quota of good value commercial stallions. Now whether or not we can afford the diesel to get our mares to them is a different think of course. Can anyone lend me an electric horsebox?
Report workrider June 19, 2022 10:06 PM BST
Truehoncho... I have to admit you were right when you posted that sales and prices would remain high were I was of the opposite view , so well done and I hope you have huge success in the future...
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com