Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
truehoncho
02 Mar 21 13:21
| Topic/replies: 4,042 | Blogger: truehoncho's blog
An interesting enough article on her mating plans in the RP today. She is struggling with TT (Stamina) stallions and thinks there are not enough around. She highlights a few she may be interested in but claims they are borderline NH.  Isn't that the point with any middle distance stallion, unless they are top class they are dual purpose types? She points out she needs to get some money at the sales for her stock (don't we all) but I don't think there is a happy medium for her to aim for. Unless you go top class middle distance (i.e Galileo, STS) you need to go 100% commercial or keep them to race.
Pause Switch to Standard View Philippa Cooper
Show More
Report Formtwist March 2, 2021 2:25 PM GMT
I admire her aims counter to the modern trend, but doubt Newsells Park will be delighted to hear that the sire of Enable is borderline NH. Personally I think she might be better using a young really well bred NH sire like Dartmouth, not that I know if he is TT or CT, though his racing performance suggests strong stamina. With an outlay vastly smaller than Galileo or Sea the Stars and with her mares she could make good money at a NH sale to cover if needed and enjoy racing the progeny if she wanted to.
Report sageform March 2, 2021 7:37 PM GMT
It seems crazy that Nathaniel who is by the same sire as Frankel and only about 2 lengths inferior on the racecourse should not be considered as a potential sire of classic winners. If Coolmore had bred him and raced him he would be. Australia stands at E25,000. He is doing quite well now and brings in both Galileo and Cape Cross. Ms Cooper is certainly one of the stars of the horse breeding world and clearly spends a lot of time researching the stallions on offer. I always look closely at any horses running in her colours.
Report truehoncho March 3, 2021 9:00 AM GMT
I think she is struggling to decide whether she want's to be an owner breeder or a commercial breeder. If you breed middle distance horses to race and don't use the likes of G or STS then it is likely that you will be racing against better horses most of the time.
Report sageform March 3, 2021 7:35 PM GMT
Surely both. She only races the fillies doesn't she? 15% win ratio in the last 5 years is pretty good when they tend to chase black type once they have won a maiden.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com