Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Big Black Cat
30 Dec 19 19:49
| Topic/replies: 961 | Blogger: Big Black Cat's blog
Hello breeding chums.

What are the major factors that decide whether you sell your bloodstock as foals/yearlings/2yo breezers.

Obviously the earlier you sell the less cost and hence better chance of a profit? Having said that a top end yearling will make much more than a top end foal.

Discuss.
Pause Switch to Standard View Selling your bloodstock
Show More
Report Wilycayote February 29, 2020 6:23 PM GMT
Perhaps we should all ask our questions to Philipa Cooper! the Racing Post seem intent on making her the main spokesperson for the industry even though my cat understands bloodstock economics better then she does.

(sorry about the rant, but I cant believe there is another long winded RP article about her)
Report truehoncho February 29, 2020 7:39 PM GMT
I can't read it because its a pay only article I know what you mean though.
Report Wilycayote March 3, 2020 9:26 AM GMT
you're probably better off not reading the RP bloodstock to be honest.

They interview the likes of SHadwell & Moyglare as if their mating plans are interesting. "its a real head-scratcher whether to send our Gr1 winning mares to Dubawi or Galileo"...yawn.

far more interesting would be to interview commercial breeders who actually have to think about a range of 20 to 30 stallions in the lower price brackets and manage risk & reward.

on that note, is anyone here having a punt on stallion that's about to have runners? I'm sending one to Territories but who knows.
Report potentialmillionaire March 3, 2020 2:17 PM GMT
I too haven't read the article but in the past maddening though it can be, at least Philippa Cooper will speak out and I admire her greatly for that.
Yes the likes of me scrabbling along would love to see more representation of our types. Are we too scaredy to jeopardise our chances by saying something stupid?
Wily, you are in a lot of company with Territories  I think. He is certainly one that people have taken to their notebooks. Time will tell, good luck.
I am as usual behind with nominations but I have actually had my first Colt this week since 2017 so I am feeling a LITTLE more speculative so have today started a list!
Report gunslinger7 March 3, 2020 8:31 PM GMT
BBC, I agree with your statement but again your yearling will always sell more than a foal and you need to be a hell of a foal to make good money nowadays. Foal buyers won’t make a huge outlay unless they think there is potential to make money as a yearling (that’s when you need to hold on) and the guys buying for racing won’t spend as much as they a furthest away from the track. Breezers are relying majorly on a good breeze. A bit flawed in my opinion the breeze time as there is absolutely no guarantee they css ask produce it over a longer distance. The majority of time pedigree goes out the window with breezers whereas you need a strong pedigree to sell the younger stock.

I like you guys would love to hear more about the smaller guys and their motives and ideas
Report workrider March 9, 2020 8:22 PM GMT
A very interesting thread indeed.
Report kincsem March 10, 2020 10:07 AM GMT
My bloodstock will not get in a sale.
I have a foal hopefully coming into the world next month that I hope will be good, but I will have to keep it and have it trained.

I read in the Racing Post that a new stallion has got mares in foal.  Amazing news.  Did you read that?
Report truehoncho March 10, 2020 10:43 AM GMT
I'm not sure I agree with you gunslinger. Unless your yearling is going to be just what the market is looking for you are probably better moving it on as a foal if you can. I have fallen into that trap in the past and if you end up in bk3 or worse any extra you get could well be eaten up in costs.
Report sageform March 13, 2020 1:12 PM GMT
When will there be any opportunity to sell other than privately? Hopefully things will look better by October.
Report Big Black Cat March 13, 2020 7:32 PM GMT
Thanks for your answers everyone. Interesting perspectives.

Was just scanning some upcoming breeze up catalogues. Seems to be lots of pedigrees with lines in that are not instantly recognisable.

But you get to see you potential purchase in action. And if they can run.....
Report Wilycayote May 22, 2020 10:02 AM BST
Amusing to read Racing Post story of Ross Doyle buying Canford Cliffs. Apparently it was the last time he didnt know what price a horse would make in the ring!
Report potentialmillionaire May 22, 2020 2:20 PM BST
Wilycayote, how very naughty you are Wink
Report Big Black Cat May 22, 2020 2:39 PM BST
I'm led to believe that there are some very 'advantageous' deals to be had, or being offered certainly, by Breeze Up vendors.
Report sageform June 24, 2020 8:51 AM BST
Anyone know when the first physical sales ring event will take place? What about any horses in training?
Report truehoncho June 24, 2020 9:42 AM BST
I think tomorrow Sageform, at Tattersalls.
Report sageform June 24, 2020 12:53 PM BST
really? Virtual bidding or will buyers be present?
Report sageform June 24, 2020 12:56 PM BST
Sorry to be so idle. Just looked on the site and it is virtual bids for breeze ups.
Report truehoncho June 24, 2020 6:11 PM BST
Is it only virtual bids? I thought there live as well. Sorry.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com