Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Wilycayote
21 Oct 16 11:52
| Topic/replies: 470 | Blogger: Wilycayote's blog
John Ferguson has really lost the plot now. He's completely forgotten the purpose of Darley and is sinking to the same level as those who are tying simply to make a buck.

oh dear. Shameful.
Pause Switch to Standard View Last Lion retired by Darley!
Show More
Report truehoncho October 21, 2016 10:08 PM BST
Kildangan is getting full. Nice tough colt. Hope he does well.
Report yer ma October 22, 2016 12:01 PM BST
On my list of possibles. Don't see the issue other than I'm concerned how much any darley sires outwith 50k+ ones will be supported at sales.  Choisir underrated and only other significant (fertile) son is in France. Good looking and ok family. At 5-7k there'll be plenty takers.
Report cacique October 22, 2016 12:55 PM BST
Be interesting to see the mission statement of Darley.

Cant be to buy £82k yearlings, retire them early and stand for £5k.

Maybe if they stood the horse under someone elses name and then if it became any good bring him to Darley.
Report yer ma October 22, 2016 2:24 PM BST
Not sure what people are on about here - they've always bought horses at all prices and at all stages of their careers.  Shamardal £50k yearling, Night of Thunder £32k yearling..   Middle Park winners tend to become stallions - several have made good stallions notably including one that retired at 2yo after a similar campaign.   Godolphin do a lot of things wrong but I don't see the issue here.
Report cacique October 22, 2016 2:53 PM BST
big difference between Morristownlatin and darley.

Yeomanstown guys are out to make money, surely Darley don't need to make money!!
Report A_T October 22, 2016 3:16 PM BST
the Maktoums have thrown so much money at racing at some point they must at least try to get some of it back
Report truehoncho October 22, 2016 5:30 PM BST
Physically he looked like he would train on ok, but MJ is tough on them and maybe they didn't want to take the chance of a G1 winner struggling to win a race at 3.
Report Formtwist October 22, 2016 8:21 PM BST
Here's another slant on this. This horse has sire appeal,by Coolmore sire, so stand in Ireland to put it to them. He would for sure have trained on, but he was already getting in the way of Blue Point by Darley's Shamardal and maybe others they would rather win the pattern races..?
Report A_T October 22, 2016 9:54 PM BST
too good to race at 3? that's a new one.
Report neill d October 23, 2016 12:06 AM BST
He's trained by someone whereby one can say with 90% certainty it won't train on satisfactorily. Trainer will ruin the horses rep next year and that offer won't be there.
Report neill d October 23, 2016 12:07 AM BST
Johnston made an interesting comment about the horse never going 2 consecutive days without being ridden, an insight into his value system. His last Middle Park winner awzaan looked vey promising, Lumiere, there's a history of this.
Report truehoncho October 23, 2016 9:55 AM BST
Absolutely Neil,he may just be having a bit of bad luck but a lot of MJ's horses have not gone on even to see out their 2yo season.
Report Eont October 24, 2016 9:25 AM BST
Is this not the case of his last run looked to good to be true.
If so whoever trained him will struggle get out at the top of the cycle.
The issue here is the BHA and Irish equivalent doing enough to promote horse racing not 2yo racing.
How about banning 2yo sales races making them only viable for 3yo's over a variety of distances with a finals day at Newmarket at sales time or Doncaster Curragh depending on sales venue and of various quality maybe listed handicaps with qualifying races.
This factor alone will encourage diversity and if trainers think increase the length of time horses are in training.
Report cacique October 24, 2016 8:17 PM BST
That's a good point about his last run being too good to be true.

Also an excellent point about the sales races, make it a series, win and your in, for an unbelievable prize over a mile and a half on champions day.

There should also be more races restricted races for sires & mares that won over mile half +
Report potentialmillionaire October 24, 2016 9:16 PM BST
I'm not sure restricted races are the way ahead, there are a number of initiatives on the ground that are being tried but are looking a bit slow to get started. I quite like the idea of your series though cacique.
As the Dubawi Galileo market doesn't need too much help to find favour I think that it would need to be sales price restricted. So leave it open to horses  that  sell for less than 100k as yearlings and it will atttract cheaply bought horses that have come good off non mega covers.
I would also like to see owners who shop for multiple yearlings to be reminded that one late maturer purchased for every two scrubby sprinters would spread their interest and their resale market without leaving them short of an early interest. I mean if you are having more than one horse in training then spreading their careers surely makes no difference.
Report cacique October 24, 2016 9:59 PM BST
Or maybe the covering books need to be restricted,

what chance has anyone got when dark angel churns out 100+ foals every year the vast majority of which are rubbish. ....

Take coolmore and how much saddlers well line dross are they allowed to produce every year.

The last lion ,  even if he a success, will have produced close on 400 horses when his two year old hit the track
Report truehoncho October 25, 2016 6:58 PM BST
You know what PotM, it's the one thing I don't get is this all encompassing demand for precociousness. It just isn't that economically worth it. If you can get a gelding that runs until he is 5 or 6 at a decent grade then surely for the vast majority of owners that makes a little more sense financially and a great deal more satisfaction personally. Yet that ideology is almost mocked in today's breeding climate. For my penny's worth I agree that prize money on grades 4,5,and 6 should be increased for horses 3 years and above. This gives owners something to look froward to and the fact is the vast majority of owners own horses in those grades. I was recently at a ROA shindig and to a man every owner was agreed agreed on that.
Report Formtwist October 25, 2016 7:11 PM BST
Oh dear Truehoncho, most of me agrees so much and I indulgently breed occasionally one of the slow maturing stamina brigade myself , knowing I'll have to race them myself. Worse in this benighted country everyone thinks sprinters equal precocity, which more enlightened countries understand need time to mature. However, I don't want these owners hanging on to their horses too long as they won't be back buying my foals and yearlings!
Report truehoncho October 25, 2016 8:33 PM BST
FT your point is noted and I have considered it (even if it was a little tongue in cheek). How many new owners leave the game after spending £50k (or a part thereof)ending up with a horse that wins a 0-65 nursery (if they are lucky) and sells for £5-10k at the HIT sale. I know more than a few. It's better we bring people into the sport and give them a little run for their money I feel. And the sprinter thing, I couldn't agree more.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com