Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
truehoncho
15 May 16 16:49
| Topic/replies: 3,875 | Blogger: truehoncho's blog
What a stallion, 4 classics 2 winners and the damsire of the other 2. I know he gets the best mares band everybody knows how good he is but you can't help being very impressed He looks like making it as a sire of sires as well. If he can be inbred/line bred with in the same way as Northern Dancer in 50 years everything will be descended from him.
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire May 15, 2016 5:00 PM BST
I bet Coolmore are a bit hacked off.

For those people that managed to get an unfettered 'pay your money, take your foal' sort of nomination this year (and that's probably relatively few) well I bet they are wishing they had charged them a bit more!

All these achievements are far in advance of what Dubawi could achieve, top sire that he undoubtedly is.

These are Guineas horses too, not the stamina laden late maturers that Galileos should be!
Report truehoncho May 15, 2016 5:41 PM BST
On a breeding note. What does everybody think about future line breeding with Sea The Stars and Galileo as STS is a useful stallion himself. I know line breeding isn't as fashionable as it once was but historically inbreeding to 1/2 brothers was a favourite strategy of breeders.There are some absolutely beautifully bred fillies around by these 2 stallions and it would be very interesting to see some of these line bred
Report brain dead jockeys May 15, 2016 7:06 PM BST
galileo is incredible........o'brien has 50 two year olds by galileo this year
Report truehoncho May 15, 2016 7:17 PM BST
Dubawi is a terrific stallion and his stock are generally very genuine and willing. I saw a lovely colt last week at Newmarket (Firnas) that won really well and with a little more time would have been a Derby horse (he may still be). That unfortunately, is Dubawi's problem. He lacks precocity and his lack of 2yo's will always be a problem for him. I'm sure Coolmore's speedy broodmare band helps Galileo but you can take nothing away from him he is s proper phenomenon.
Report brain dead jockeys June 4, 2016 1:53 AM BST
another classic for Galileo
Report Colonel Sanders June 4, 2016 6:42 PM BST
and a 2nd & 3rd in the Derby....

His half brother supplying the winner
Report truehoncho June 4, 2016 7:26 PM BST
I thought it was a great Derby. 3 really well bred horses in front and over 3 seconds faster than Postponed. I think STS will be getting plenty of Derby and Leger winners in the future with Galileo getting his share as well. It will be tough for Darley to crack that nut in the near future.
I wish Coolmore would stand some cheaper stallions over here. I don't see it hurting their operation in Ireland, there can't be many people sending mares to Ireland for £5-7k stallions. With Darley flooding Ireland with cheap/club stallions why doesn't Coolmore reciprocate? They would be mobbed for some of those cheaper Galileo's as Roderic O'Conner has demonstrated.
Report brain dead jockeys June 4, 2016 8:38 PM BST
the owner of sea the stars must be pinching himself........i know they are wealthy anyway but how many horses did they ever have running in europe?...........not too many and now they have a printing machine........one would think they would send Mr oxx 20 sea the stars yearlings every year.
Report Colonel Sanders July 10, 2016 9:59 PM BST
Deauville G1 winner number 58 AFAIK, can he get to 100 before hes done?

As an aside, which stallion has sired the highest number of G1 winners ever?
Report Colonel Sanders July 10, 2016 10:05 PM BST
Danehill has 89, Sadler's Well 80 after a quick google
Report brain dead jockeys July 11, 2016 9:35 PM BST
3 goldmines for coolmore for past 30 years..............s wells, danehill & galileo............who will be number 4?
Report brain dead jockeys July 17, 2016 1:14 AM BST
another group 1 winner...........seventh heaven comes from far back to win 2016 irish oaks..........what a stallion
Report truehoncho July 30, 2016 8:09 PM BST
Well 6 group/grade 1s in a month. When Coolmore eventually find a replacement for this fella they are going to have some splendid mares by him to keep their empire on top.
Report Big Black Cat August 7, 2016 2:09 PM BST
There's an excellent article on the RP Bloodstock site regarding Galileo and his influence on APOB's career.

The numbers are staggering-he may be expensive and very difficult to get into but boy what an influence he's been at stud. 

Definitely worth a read.

Many moons ago SOVIET SONG was covered by GALILEO and very sadly for Elite, she didn't get in foal...... :-(  May have been another G1 winner for him as well!
Report The Gotchee August 7, 2016 8:27 PM BST
Come on, let's be realistic.
He gets all the good mares.
How many group winners has he produced out of ordinary mares?

Replies on the back of a postage stamp, please.
Report Big Black Cat August 8, 2016 2:27 PM BST
Indeed he does The Gotchee.

As did Sadler's Wells and Danehill I would think?  And Frankel's first book was pretty tasty too.  The old adage of breeding the best with the best?

If you were in charge at Coolmore wouldn't you send him your best mares too?
Report lingbleed August 13, 2016 1:01 PM BST
didn't get the best mares at the start Gotchee , but i think we all know Mr Gotchee is slightly bias , was that your book about coolmore than got pulled Gotchee
Report Big Black Cat September 6, 2016 10:30 PM BST
Excellent article in the RP Bloodstock section regarding his 2016 book.

No wonder he does so well.
Report Johnny_Mustang September 7, 2016 8:20 AM BST
Change the bleeding record Gotchee you one-dimensional dullard.

Idiot.
Report The Gotchee September 7, 2016 8:49 PM BST
He gets the best mares Mr. Mustang, an irrefutable fact.
You have a very limited understanding of bloodstock breeding and in particular mating.

With a comment like that Mr Mustang, as far as mating is concerned, I suspect that the best part of you was left on your auld lads Y-fronts.
Report potentialmillionaire September 7, 2016 9:15 PM BST
Johnny M why oh why did you prod The Gotchee?

No right minded person wishes him to read his crude vitriol, let him be in his den of in iniquity.

Life's too short. . .
Report Big Black Cat October 2, 2016 3:39 PM BST
1-2-3 for Galileo in the Arc.....who's this Frankel anyway....
Report lingbleed October 2, 2016 4:07 PM BST
answered back after Dubawi got his first 2 yr group 1 winner,
Report Johnny_Mustang October 6, 2016 5:02 PM BST
The Gotchee now on suicide watch. Poor bloke's probably pacing around his bedsit, rabid at the mouth and rocking back and forth only stopping to ram a few pins into his homemade Galileo voodoo doll.
Report The Gotchee October 6, 2016 9:02 PM BST
Your mentor has already told you not to be prodding me. So listen to a voice of reason.
Report brain dead jockeys October 11, 2016 5:45 PM BST
since his frist crop runners in 2005, the great galileo has sired the winners of 15% of the g1 races in ireland and britain.........that includes all sprint races as well........so for races of a 7f and beyond its probably
25%..........mind boggling
Report A_T October 11, 2016 7:59 PM BST
Are there any G1 races in UK, Ireland and France of which he hasn't sired a winner? Maybe only a few 5-8f races I guess.
Report The Headmaster October 11, 2016 9:53 PM BST
Excellent pub question, AT (let's say 8f+ to give the old boy a chance).  There can't be many, but I got one - and most oddly it's over 10f and sponsored by Coolmore.....
Report jockeyhunter October 11, 2016 10:19 PM BST
royal ascots most prestigious 10f race?
Report brain dead jockeys October 11, 2016 10:24 PM BST
went to stud in 2002............2017,18,19,20,21...............5 more years and thats 20..........they must be getting worried cause guys lets be honest.............the success and wealth of coolmore stud is based on 3 horses

1. s wells
2. danehill
3. galileo

they made fortunes from those 3............take them away & they would just be another successful stud, not the mighty coolmore
Report brain dead jockeys October 11, 2016 10:25 PM BST
that poxy 10f g1 3yo fillies race in france
Report brain dead jockeys October 11, 2016 10:26 PM BST
prix saint alary
Report jockeyhunter October 11, 2016 10:29 PM BST
never one the prince of wales unless i am mistaken
Report jockeyhunter October 11, 2016 10:29 PM BST
won
Report The Headmaster October 12, 2016 9:20 PM BST
No, you're not. 

Prince Of Wales's Stakes
Prix Saint Alary

Any more?  We've done quite well getting two, in my humble...
Report jockeyhunter October 12, 2016 10:15 PM BST
Critérium de Saint-Cloud?
Report The Gotchee October 12, 2016 11:09 PM BST
Why are the Galileo's trained outside of Ballydoyle so inferior?
Report Big Black Cat October 12, 2016 11:17 PM BST
Errr.... Frankel.....Intello??

Frankel was decent?  Intello not bad either?
Report Jezebel October 14, 2016 12:07 PM BST
Nathaniel, Golden Lilac, Noble Mission...
Report The Headmaster October 14, 2016 12:21 PM BST
This could be a longish list...

New Approach
Red Rocks
Telescope
Teofilo
Sixties Icon etc etc
Report Big Black Cat October 14, 2016 1:35 PM BST
Are you suggesting anything underhand by the team at Ballydoyle The Gotchee?

Or is APOB merely a total class act and him and his team exceptional at training and maximising the talent of some exceptionally well bred animals?
Report The Gotchee October 15, 2016 11:29 AM BST
BBC, I would never suggest that team Ballydoyle is doing anything underhanded. However, there is a guy who wrote a book outlining his experiences while working there over a 10 year period.
Furthermore, Nearly all of Galileo's Group 1 winners this season were trained in Ballydoyle. Mondaliste is the only other one that I can think of that was trained outside that establishment.
So, what's the answer?
Great trainer?
Great Sire?
Great training centre?
So you are wasting your time buying a Galileo unless you can get it trained in Ballydoyle.
Report A_T October 15, 2016 11:42 AM BST
Nothing sinister here IMO. Coolmore control the nominations and John Magnier digs deep into his pocket to buy the best prospects at the sales without opposition from Dubai money.

Surely at least 2/3 of the Galileos to see a racecourse are trained at Ballydoyle.
Report jockeyhunter October 15, 2016 1:24 PM BST
photo call in the US group 1 galileo winner this year not coolmore owned
Report Big Black Cat October 15, 2016 1:57 PM BST
I think all of the above The Gotchee?

Can't think Mr Magnier would be massively keen to have a bundle of other Galileo's trained at Ballydoyle that aren't his to be honest.  But why would he?  I mean they might be better than one of his!
Report The Gotchee October 15, 2016 8:48 PM BST
So how does this work?
Aidan alledegely gets 65 Galileo yearlings every year, roughly 33% of his yearling progeny.Domestically,
this year, he trains 100% of his Group 1 winners.
How does he do it?
Report Big Black Cat October 15, 2016 9:25 PM BST
I would say he's an outstanding trainer who works with an outstanding team?

Its all very well having the raw materials (in terms of exceptional pedigrees) but you've got to let them develop and flourish.  I guess the art of training is knowing instinctively when to push the buttons and push on, or take it steady and be patient.

He's extremely lucky that these animals keep on progressing with age....I mean Minding-I can't believe she still has the gas to win an all aged all sex G1 over a mile after winning G1's over 8-10F too-that is some training performance.....he is a mastercraftsman.....GrinGrin
Report A_T October 15, 2016 10:00 PM BST
63 yearling entries for Galileos in the 2017 Derby - 45 of them trained by Aidan O'Brien. Tells it's own story. AOB only had 51 entries in total.

It's all about Galileo - and Mr Magnier makes sure they have most of the good ones.
Report Big Black Cat October 15, 2016 10:14 PM BST
That should be 10-12 F for Minding of course....
Report brain dead jockeys October 17, 2016 7:34 PM BST
coolmore do send some horses to gosden, stoute and also to trainers in america but none of them seem to make to g1 level.
Report Wilycayote October 18, 2016 3:56 PM BST
I see Mecca's Angel has been sold to visit Galileo

Tom Goff "Ive been following this filly for a couple of years"

....we all have mate. #*******agents!
Report potentialmillionaire October 18, 2016 7:40 PM BST
Wily we truly are one!

I imagine that Coolmore wanted the mare and Tom Goff was brought in to negotiate for the owners who might have felt they needed some help. Let's not get started on who made what from whom.

I was pleased to read the article though as I'd never heard of the filly. . . .
Report Eont October 19, 2016 1:40 PM BST
I always thought the ones sent to other trainer's were the AOB rejects.

They are useful to have at other trainer's as you know what the opposition has people talk.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com