Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lingbleed
11 Apr 16 17:28
| Topic/replies: 839 | Blogger: lingbleed's blog
true bay i heard on RUK and that meant he always gets bay coloured foals , yet Bhutan who won the maiden at leopardstown yesterday was grey . any of the bloodstock forum lead participators like to weight in with some of there knowledge on said situation , it would be greatly appreciated ,thanks
Show More
Report Formtwist April 11, 2016 7:34 PM BST
Lingbleed, a true-breeding bay really means he can't get chestnuts. Grey is a sort of fading of pigmentation and is inherited by direct transfer from a grey parent. As it happens Galileo gets plenty of chestnuts, Australia being a recent example, and is not a true breeding bay.
Report lingbleed April 12, 2016 12:46 AM BST
Thanks formtwist
Report Eont April 12, 2016 11:38 AM BST
I think all Galileo's Epsom Derby winners have been chestnut.
Is there a link between the colour gene and others that make a horse by him excel?
Report kincsem April 12, 2016 10:02 PM BST
A grey horse will have on or more grey parents.
Bhutan's dam Ecology is grey.

Look at Bhutan's pedigree here
http://www.pedigreequery.com/bhutan6

You can trace the grey colour from offspring to parent
Bhutan (grey), sire Unbridled's Song (grey), Trolley Song (grey), Caro (grey), Fortino (grey), Grey Sovereign (grey), Kong (grey), Baytown (grey), Princess Herodias (grey), Queen Herodias (grey), The Tetrarch (1911 (grey).

I think all grey colour horses trace to the Irish horse The Tetrarch.  I may be wrong.
Report Velasquez July 20, 2016 11:26 PM BST
Nijinsky got a few Derby winning chestnuts too - Shahrastani, Lammtarra, Ferdinand...and the very flashy chestnut Generous was a grandson.
Report cacique July 21, 2016 6:26 PM BST
Galileo's mother was chestnut, 3 of his brother/sisters were chestnut. As mentioned above about his Epsom derby winners, he also got these chestnuts

Alice Springs, Cape Blanco, Allegretto, The United States
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com