Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
truehoncho
02 Feb 16 09:42
| Topic/replies: 4,350 | Blogger: truehoncho's blog
at the same prices and no issues around pedigree/compatibility with the mare, which foal/yearling will attract more interest at the sales?
Pause Switch to Standard View Fast Company or Fountain of Youth
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire February 2, 2016 10:41 AM GMT
Well that's an interesting one. I don't dislike F of Y but his negatives are venue and the fact that he was offered to everyone before that venue got him. Those are back feet on which he has to start but as we all know, if he stamps them and they are consistently nice at the sales then those prejudices can and do get forgotten.

Fast Company has the advantage that he does stamp hem consistently and you are quite likely to get a nice horse for your troubles which is then quite likely to win you a race or two. His venue can't really do much for him, he has to stand on his own record which is currently respectable. Obviously for you to get proper dough he needs to crank it up a gear with some higher profile horses but given he gets an 80+ rated runner pretty regularly that is a distinct possibility.

Ask yourself what you want. If you would like a sale and a runner then I think Fast Company. If you would like to latch on to a popular first seasoner then he's not for you. Is Fountain of Youth that horse?
Get the crystal ball out. . . .
Report truehoncho February 2, 2016 10:43 AM GMT
Thanks PotM,

that was useful and helped me.
Report Wilycayote February 2, 2016 10:03 PM GMT
very simple.....neither.
Report Formtwist February 2, 2016 10:18 PM GMT
An odd pair of alternatives! For me, whatever his record as a sire he fails my test as a horse unraced beyond juvenile and then too few starts for soundness and durability. Both sires won Group 3 races. Fountain of Youth looks more quality and was more durable.
Report truehoncho February 3, 2016 7:35 AM GMT
Thanks for the comments. At the price there needs to be an alternative and I don't see one. I want to sell the foal and hence the question. I am going to use FC.
Report potentialmillionaire February 3, 2016 3:02 PM GMT
I am certainly with you there Formtwist, I couldn't have had Fast Company at any price when he retired to stud for the reasons you mention.

Once they start getting a good amount of runners though we get to judge them on their records as sires which is oh so much more reliable than our guess at their aptitude at the outset.

Wrong again, Me. He too, so much more reliable as a sire than he was as a racehorse. That is now why I eat my hat and my humble pie and try to reassess him correctly this time!
Report proxygene February 3, 2016 3:07 PM GMT
Wouldn't want to alarm you too musch truehoncho, but that's the direction I'm 99% likely to be going...
Report truehoncho February 3, 2016 4:45 PM GMT
Don't worry Proxgene, I am permanently alarmed. The look on my face constantly resembles that Scream painting.

I often scare myself in the mirror!!
Report ovalu February 3, 2016 9:40 PM GMT
I still like Fast Company, he gets very athletic stock, and has a high winner percentage, and lots of 2 year old winners. He's still short a superstar but with good numbers to run theres a chance of that yet. This has been achieved from moderate mares, mostly covered at about 3k euro.
His standout performers Devonshire, Baitha Alga, Mutakarez are all from very modest families
Report Formtwist February 5, 2016 11:49 AM GMT
PotM, I fully understand why you re-assess FC as you do and agree he is a perfectly sensible commercial choice - a task at which I acknowledge you are consistently accurate in selecting. If I had the time I would do for sire like him a full analysis of the foals he had that didn't run or ran with fragility to convince myself of his worth. However, I can usually use a sire that has proven both talent and durability on the track and his worth at stud to use instead. Purely as an example, if Truehoncho had posed as an alternative Firebreak rather than first season FOY at the same stud who would be the same fee too I would have said his record on track was unarguably better and the as a sire of a Group 1 winner in his first crop, and a regular supply of top performers from limited chances he would be preferable for me to FC. Truehoncho, I have the most bizarre image of you now after your personal pen-portrait!
Report truehoncho February 5, 2016 1:22 PM GMT
I did consider firebreak and probably agree with you Formtwist. I don't really want to keep the resultant foal as I have another  one I am breeding to keep so I was looking for the best choice for the sales. As you say PotM is pretty good at that so that's where I have ended up.

As far as your image of me it's probably better than the real life version. I expect many of the contributors on here are not what we expect. I am sure there is quite a range of humanity posting regularly on the site including someone with his trousers around his ankles who thought the breeding forum meant something completely different!!
Report potentialmillionaire February 5, 2016 2:14 PM GMT
FT and truehonch I thought this was a forum for discussion not one where anyone takes any actual notice!

I would advise extreme caution in following too closely what I have to say as I am currently - or was - enjoying a run of good luck and not the results of any great talent. Where I have been fortunate is that my mares have recently produced some nice colts and I really do give them the credit.
Last year I didn't have the 'right' sires atall but I was lucky enough to take to market a fabulous colt who was able to outsell his sire no thanks to me. ( although I'll take some credit as it is me that wanders round with the buckets)

If FT you feel you have a handle on me then I find myself slightly discombobulated as I don't like to spout on on here without having a reciprocal knowledge. What say you?
Report Formtwist February 5, 2016 2:22 PM GMT
PotM, your posts over the years that indicate the sires you have decided to use, are in due course mostly found to be spot on the same ones that fetch the money at the sales so far as I can tell. I do love the word discombobulated, shall have to look that up in the dictionary, but your anonymity remains intact......and I do value all your input whoever you are, so don't stop "spouting".
Report potentialmillionaire February 5, 2016 3:37 PM GMT
As long as we're even stevens then, that's fine! I've got a few hairy selections to foal this time around mind !!
Report potentialmillionaire November 1, 2016 11:09 AM GMT
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com