Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
chopper9
15 Jan 16 13:01
| Topic/replies: 135 | Blogger: chopper9's blog
I am starting a small flat breeding operation and would appreciate the wisdom of the forum on the plusses and minuses of going early and getting a January foal. Thanks in advance...
Pause Switch to Standard View Breeding timings.
Show More
Report proxygene January 15, 2016 1:36 PM GMT
Key first question is breeding to own and race or to sell?

January foals run no better than February or March ones as 2 years old, poorer weather and grazing allows the younger ones to catch up. At the sales however early foals might find more favour. Add to that that the mare may drift later in following seasons means aiming for early is better, one of mine has gone well over a year pregnant before. That also depends on you having a mare that wants to co-operate in that game (ie cycling etc). Although they are said to not often foal prematurely a Dec31 birth is to be avoided so knowing the mares individual gestation 'quirks' should help.
Report Posh Paddy January 15, 2016 1:49 PM GMT
As PG says lots of positives, very few negatives, go early.
Report chopper9 January 15, 2016 5:54 PM GMT
PG and PP, thanks a lot for your feedback. Both are just turned 5 year olds who have recently finished their racing careers. I intend to race the first foals, potentially race or sell subsequent ones. I've been told I'm mad, but am finding it all very exciting! Best Regards C9
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com