Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
bucko68
18 Aug 15 00:35
| Topic/replies: 81 | Blogger: bucko68's blog
Any views on the above
Pause Switch to Standard View Tattersalls September Yearling Sales...
Show More
Report bucko68 August 24, 2015 11:28 PM BST
Come on lads and lassies, guide me in the direction of a future star Cooland save me having to go through the Catalogue,
Report workrider September 2, 2015 11:49 AM BST
Worst lot of horses in a long time , btw sorry , never saw this thread before starting my own one
Report yer ma September 2, 2015 10:05 PM BST
Not sure how you can say either way if its a poor sale or not without looking.  Never is full of fancy sires and if they are in her they're likely to be poorer examples.  Colts by under-rated or newer sires like Arcano, Dandy Man, Choisir, Intikhab.  You'll even get Mastercraftsman, Acclamation, HenrytheNav selling here for well less than the covers (and they wont all be poor).   Its here or Book 3 / December to find plenty good yearlings available for 10-20k.  Each to their own though.
Report workrider September 5, 2015 7:38 AM BST
No problem with the sires Yer , its the DAMS , very little substance on show .
Report bucko68 September 5, 2015 11:15 AM BST
No problem Work Rider, the more threads the better, looking to purchase a yearling might even chance a Filly, testing the waters, have been looking through the catalogue, over the last few weeks, plenty to look at when the day(s) arrive !
Report potentialmillionaire September 7, 2015 10:51 AM BST
Bucko68. Where to begin!!

Firstly, I would keep your list as big as possible. Workrider is correct in as much as these lesser sales don't often read well on paper but as we all know it's not a piece of paper that you load in the stalls and there will be plenty of winners coming out of this sale. The more you can see the better your chances because the obvious on paper at these lesser sales will by and large be rejects from the better sales on looks.

The good select sales work to a certain extent on quotas they wish to achieve and on high fashion they understandably wish to present. Doncaster Premier for example is very hot on their percentage of fillies (low) and their percentage of first season sires (high). Therefore that is probably 60% of fillies presented to them and 40% of proven sires forwarded that they are looking to weed out from the get go. Some of those will be pretty nice for sure and would certainly be worthy of chasing at Fairyhouse.

Yer Ma is on the ball in suggesting you major on unfashionable stallions and I would take it one step further by concentrating on those that are pretty cold, which usually means the youngsters that have been dropped like a stone. The Intikhabs of this world will be pretty chilly, but the good examples of them will be found out by the good people who actively seek a nice horse because good people, who are of course swayed by fashion to an extent, won't be swayed off a genuinely nice horse by a perfectly good sire.

Horses that are getting the job done - for instance just how bad is Bushranger? - but have disappointed people's in some cases ridiculously high expectations are available cheaply. My opinion is that when you are looking at their statistics I would be put off by the ones that get a ton of truly bad horses. The ones that get a ton of ordinary horses but that still know how to win may not be too bad at all.

Fillies? Yes yes yes. And with them you get choices too, even on a budget!
Report bucko68 September 20, 2015 1:46 AM BST
Thanks for your reply PM, always look forward to your in depth and constructive views, I'm a little taken by Casamento, his foals did well last year at the sales, seems good value for breeders at present imo ? If I'm right one foal made over €200k, and as Yer Ma says each to their own, we have had some success by purchasing at the Sept sale and made a nice profit in the process. anyhow thanks for your post, and sorry for delay in replying as I was in Italy for a holiday, did light a few candles in those lovely Cathedrals
Report potentialmillionaire September 20, 2015 1:33 PM BST
Oh dear Bucko, it looks like yer ma and I should have saved out typing fingers for something else.

You have fallen for one of the hottest sires on the planet, who stands to be as useless as so many others but will be commanding prices as if he were the second coming.

Welcome to the seducing world of fickle fashion!
Report Koo.... September 22, 2015 2:30 PM BST
Ive bought lot 3, will go to Brian Ellisons and if we can find an owner someone else might enjoy him race, if no one bites Ill keep him myself
Report Koo.... September 23, 2015 7:57 PM BST
Also bought 153.  Work was going ok this month sadly, ill try and find interested parties at brians to take on the lions share on each yearling, but im happy they looked the part,
Report bucko68 September 25, 2015 6:58 AM BST
Best of luck with them Koo, purchased a filly by Sir Prancelot, fingers crossed,this time next year I might be calling myself Potential Billionaire, if PM doesn't mind
Report potentialmillionaire September 27, 2015 12:00 PM BST
Well done the pair of you. I am sure there will be plenty of great value winners coming from that sale.

Bucko68, I am not sure quite how many millions to make a billion but 5million is probably a realistic ceiling for your Guineas winning Sir Prancelot filly out of training.

I think ProbM fits you a treat!
Report bucko68 September 21, 2016 11:16 PM BST
That Sir Prancelot filly won for us, and we have since moved her on, so turned out to be an ok investment, back to the sales again, enjoy the buzz especially if you can take profit, won't be changing my name to Potential B for a while yet, but will keep trying.
Report potentialmillionaire September 22, 2016 9:56 AM BST
Well done to you Bucko. Having fun and getting a bit of money back is a win win.

Don't come back without a Group Horse this week mind, I am looking to send a begging letter to someone soon.
Report workrider September 25, 2016 12:48 PM BST
Potential, make sure you remove my name before forwarding it on to Bucko ....Laugh
Report potentialmillionaire September 26, 2016 11:35 AM BST
Workrider I am wiping the slate clean vis a vis begging letters as your version to me saying 'give us sum money you inbred heap of sh1te' just lacked a little subtlety I thought.
Bucko needs a little more finessing I think. . .
Report workrider September 29, 2016 6:17 PM BST
Laugh
Report kincsem October 1, 2016 1:54 PM BST
Is there anywhere you can get a list (full) of graduates of a sale, their names when named, and their careers?
Report proxygene October 1, 2016 6:02 PM BST
Bloodhorse.com seem to get the names fairly promptly not necc the racing records tagged on.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com