Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sageform
31 Dec 13 18:08
| Topic/replies: 22,031 | Blogger: sageform's blog
Another year finished so here are the top sires based on GB (not Ireland) wins during the calendar year.

Oasis Dream    130
Cape Cross      119
Invincible Spirit 116
Acclamation     115
Exceed and Excel 110
Shamardal        98
Dansili     96
Kyllachy   94
Pivotal     92
Dutch Art  88
Royal Applause  87
Byron    77
Dark Angel  75
Pause Switch to Standard View Sires in form 2014
Show More
Report Wilycayote December 31, 2013 7:46 PM GMT
Sons of Green Desert 1st, 2nd, 3rd.... Which of their sons will follow the trend?

Oasis Dream: Arcano, Approve, Frozen Power, Showcasing

Invincible Spirit: Lawman (doing well already), Born to Sea, Mayson, Swiss Spirit, Vale of York, Zebedee

Cape Cross: Sea The Stars (decent start)

A powerful bunch!
Report The Gotchee December 31, 2013 11:19 PM GMT
And not a Coolmore stallion in sight.
Report sageform January 1, 2014 7:32 AM GMT
Galileo would have been the next on the list with 73, but he gets more wins in Ireland. The top sires on my list have a lot of AW winners as well as turf. The likes of Galileo and Dubawi get quality horses but very few wins from November to March.
Byron was the real surprise package. He actually led the table for a few months but inevitably fell away in mid summer.
Report sageform January 1, 2014 7:07 PM GMT
Some younger sires making progress. List has 2012 and 2013 GB wins.

Authorised  42  54
Dark Angel  62  75
Duke Of Marmalade  1  43
Dutch Art  61  88
Excellent Art  39  60
Footstepsinthesand  31  57
Kheleyf  66  77
Kodiak  32  58
Oratorio  53  68
Pastoral Pursuits  46  66
Sleeping Indian  37  53
Street Cry  36  63
Report sageform January 1, 2014 7:09 PM GMT
Just noticed that Kheleyf should have made the first list-sorry.
Report roadrunner46 January 4, 2014 11:15 PM GMT
thanks for the threads on sires sageform, learnt so much this year about pedigrees, just getting to know all the names was helpful
and very insightful, regarding seasonal patterns ect, especially as started with no knowledge and now have found most enjoyable and profitable, understanding pedigrees slightly better. dark angle/ dutch art/ sleeping indian/ pastoral pursuits, those few had some prolific progeny. improving young sires where my favs, hopefully win more on the more established stallions when the season starts
again. should find few good horses to follow for next summer and put few on the threads on here, goodluck all
Report sageform January 29, 2014 8:09 PM GMT
Alumina became the 10th January winner for Invincible Spirit who is setting the pace for 2014 so far.
Report roadrunner46 January 29, 2014 10:52 PM GMT
what about SLEEPING INDIAN got another massive price winner the other day HOT RIGHT NOW 70/1 plus on betfair, by grand lodge on the damside, looks well bred and enjoys racing around southwell. gone into the notebook.
Report sageform January 31, 2014 8:55 AM GMT
Sleeping Indian just 2 so far in 2014 but his 53 last year was respectable. The sire that I am watching more and more is Street Cry. He was bred in Ireland by Machiavellian out of Helen Street but now stands in America. Zenyatta is his highest profile offspring but he had 63 wins in GB last year and is off to a flyer with 6 in January. Many of them are at Southwell so keep an eye on that link.
Report cryoftruth February 1, 2014 3:01 PM GMT
Ia am quite surprised that Galileo was not higher given the number of his offspring and the price of a visit to him. I suppose he must be worth the zillions he commands or he would not be used. However "you are only as good as your last performance" is an old cliche and maybe they will have to drop the price if Sea The Stars and Frankel do turn out to be as good as they might.
Report neill d February 1, 2014 4:50 PM GMT
Sea the Stars seems to have been a bit of a disaster so far... Would be interested to get the view of the lads here who would know a lot more.

How is he perceived?
Report potentialmillionaire February 1, 2014 8:58 PM GMT
Cryoftruth, Galileo is a bit of an anomaly in as much as a large percentage of his foals never make it further than Tipperary.
Sageform's list concerns number of winners in the UK hence Galileo being relatively low.

Neil d, STS sold very well again this year so it seems there were plenty out there expecting a quite modest start from a big slightly backward type.
I for one will be not remotely surprised to see him go on to be a significant sire given so many promising types around.
However I shall only be slightly less surprised if he hurtles towards a slightly Slip Anchor berth and loses support accordingly.
Too close to call for me!
Report neill d February 1, 2014 9:40 PM GMT
Thanks very much PM, he hasn't really grabbed me with what I have seen of his on the racecourse given the support he will have gotten. Stunning looking horse though and there is still time as you say.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com