Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Commander In Chief
10 May 12 15:46
| Topic/replies: 11 | Blogger: Commander In Chief's blog
On a previous thread I see that Bloodstock agents don't have a good name around these parts.  Is there any UK/Ireland agent that you regulars would recommend and is seen as more straightforward than their counterparts?
Pause Switch to Standard View Bloodstock Agents
Show More
Report yer ma May 10, 2012 4:13 PM BST
Canofworms.com  Shocked

I've no doubt you will get a few responses saying he or her but frankly unless you establish a relationship with one then you are unlikely to get 100% of the picture, its the nature of the beast.  Not very helpful I know.
Report potentialmillionaire May 10, 2012 9:14 PM BST
When you've finished at canofworms.com you might like to try denofthieves.co.uk. Cry

yer ma is quite right in saying that a relationship is key. Apart from anything else he or she might be straight as a die but until they really understand their clients pecadillos there can always be an element of incompatibility.

I don't use an agent although if I really couldn't make a sale I know one or two I would trust to look at a horse for me. I don't give a budget and I would always be at the end of the phone but I would be confident of their ability NOT to buy the horse for me if appropriate.

Over the years various agents have bought off me and not come looking for a backhander so they are out there! But as I've said before, there are a few who wouldn't look at my horses because I don't play those games and I have to accept that. I always enjoy the overtures of a new dodgy buyer who doesn't know how I operate though. I like to see how they want to operate -  before politely declining!
Report truehoncho May 10, 2012 9:32 PM BST
is it common practice to give the agent 'a drink' if they buy off you?
Report jonnyrotten May 11, 2012 12:50 PM BST
come on guys we all here the stories and sometimes the the outcomes of court casesWhoops but there must be some good agents/stories to be told
Report sonicanthem May 14, 2012 8:56 AM BST
I have very good relationships with several bloodstock agents and believe I know which are the ones to deal with and avoid. Let me know if you want any comission free help with any purchases.
Report sageform May 14, 2012 10:31 AM BST
I find it hard as an outsider (I don't have any mares and the only agent I know well enough to chat to is David Redvers) to distinguish between those who seem to succeed because the right owners give them the money to buy the best horses and those who really do have a special skill at picking good horses regardless of price. Which trainers rely on their own judgement, which rely on agents, which just take what owners send them? Enless imponderables.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com