Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
laynplay
04 Jun 11 16:43
| Topic/replies: 1,402 | Blogger: laynplay's blog
mythical question.
  sires average winning distance 7.8f.....dam sire 11f.....best guess, what trip in your opinion would be ideal for the progeny ?...and is there a rule of thumb method for assessing....thanks.
Pause Switch to Standard View sire or damsire ?
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire June 4, 2011 5:17 PM BST
No rules of thumb in this game laynplay - it's a bl@@dy mystery to us all!

Some stallions, Montjeu & Dalakhani at one end, Exceed and Excel and Royal Applause at the other are about as strong an influence for stamina or speed as is possible. If they get involved with mares from the opposite end of the spectrum then the result will often be a dilution of talent rather than a great cross.

If you mate them to a mare that would represent a closeish stamina match via broodmare sire or otherwise then I would expect the above and their equivalents to stamp their stamina aptitude.

A broodmare sire is only one of four grandparents so personally I wouldn't begin to look for a definitive answer on a likeley trait to expect without examining the pedigree a bit more deeply.

Your hypothesis is sort of a reverse Frankel. And the cud is still being chewed on that one even though we have solid evidence on the track by now!
Report Equimine.co.uk June 5, 2011 7:13 AM BST
If those numbers are from the RP they are misleading.
Their Dam Sire numbers are actually sires ratings just quoted as dam sire, not dam sire data.
Report kincsem June 5, 2011 8:29 AM BST
Try and find the "most common winning distance" of a sire's progeny if you can.  It is more informative than the average.  It is also useful if you can find out the number of winners at each distance.  The average could be based on very small numbers.
Report Equimine.co.uk June 6, 2011 10:21 AM BST
I think the phrase from the film Forrest Gump is spot on "average is as average does".

Has anybody heard a breeder, trainer or racehorse owner say "I do hope he proves to be average"?

Also, the quoted average can be very misleading, as referred to by kincsem. The average of the following winning distances 5,5,5,6,6,10 is 6.17. Do you think that is an accurate reflection?
Report Somerset Sam June 6, 2011 12:03 PM BST
Lick your finger hold it above your head and guess. I suppose you would have to factor in any preference the sire and dam had for the likes of ground conditions, tracks and who the grand sire and dam were and precocity shown by the parents.

But to answer your question I'd have said about a mile to a mile and a quarter eventually, but each animal produced between the two will have their own ideal trip. It could just as easily end up running in a 3m 3f selling hurdle at Sedgefield...

It's highly unusual for full brothers and sisters to have exactly the same preferences on the track. The more hands on guys in these forums will have their own opinions and progeny to compare.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com