Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
victors
21 May 11 22:05
| Topic/replies: 63 | Blogger: victors's blog
It's been reported a number of times that Carlton House was part of a package of 6 horses (3 from Sheikh Mo and 3 from the Aga Khan) that the Queen acquired. Can anyone shed light on this 'acquisition'? Did any cash change hands(I doubt it)- did the Queens advisors pick out the horses she wanted and say we'd like those ones or how did it work?
Pause Switch to Standard View was carlton house a gift or a purchase
Show More
Report jmc27 May 21, 2011 11:35 PM BST
In the autumn of 2009, Sheikh Mohammed, through his agents, made an attractive offer for the Queen’s talented but headstrong middle-distance horse Highland Glen, who had shown a reluctance to enter the stalls.
Sheikh Mohammed was buying the horse for his son Sheikh Mansoor to race in Dubai.
Warren explained that Highland Glen had caused the Queen some embarrassment when he refused to enter the starting gate in front of a massive crowd at Goodwood that year and she was apprehensive about the sale.

“Sheikh Mohammed had made a nice offer but because Highland Glen was quirky, the Queen didn’t want to accept the money. Instead, she gave the horse to Sheikh Mohammed,” Warren explained.
Then, after Highland Glen had won at Meydan soon after purchase, Sheikh Mohammed contacted Warren to offer a selection of four yearlings as his reciprocal gift to the Queen.
“He was saying thank-you, and it was a typically generous gesture on his behalf.
"He hand-picked them himself, and Carlton House was one of them. The man knows his horses,” Warren said.
Report sageform May 22, 2011 11:20 AM BST
Great story and explains why at first glance, I didn't see it as the sort of pedigree that the Queen would have selected. When you look deeper though, the presence of Bustino, Troy and Mill Reef in the pedigree makes him an entirely logical Derby horse.
Report jonnyrotten May 22, 2011 7:51 PM BST
this is a great story and in esscence what horseracing is all about, i hope it wins
Report Johnny_Mustang May 23, 2011 5:39 PM BST
"He hand-picked them himself, and Carlton House was one of them. The man knows his horses,” Warren said.

Clearly, that's why he gave away the Derby favourite.
Report Red Raider May 25, 2011 8:57 AM BST
In the end we take nothing with us - what better than to have given a gift like this; it is a prize both have pursued. I'm sure Sheikh Mohammed will gain as much satisfaction from having his gift run in the Queen's colours as it would if it were in his own.
Report Black Sam Bellamy May 25, 2011 9:13 PM BST
At least we know now where he'll be standing when he retires.
Report STELLAR MANIPULATOR May 26, 2011 10:57 PM BST
Heard Sheikh Mo is genuinely tickled pink at the prospect of Carlton House winning the Derby
Report sageform May 27, 2011 1:57 PM BST
He generally seems just as pleased if one of his brothers' horses win as his own so I am sure that is true.
Report Paddy Hair May 28, 2011 11:50 PM BST
To be fair to Sheik Mo he always seems gracious in defeat and one of the first to congratulate the winning connections. I think he genuinely loves the sport.
Report Jocked off May 30, 2011 1:35 PM BST
I think he genuinely loves the sport.

I think he does too. The biggest understatement EVER, Paddy Hair.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com