Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Black Sam Bellamy
16 May 11 22:30
| Topic/replies: 311 | Blogger: Black Sam Bellamy's blog
I'm not for one minute suggesting he's been a success at stud, despite Sunday's Gr1...but I often wonder how good Sakhee could have been as a stallion had he not been managed by Shadwell in the way that he has. Small books and non-exposure to the cream of Maktoum's mares have definately limited his potential. The Bahri factor has also done him no favours. Saying that, if he'd have stood at Darley for example, do you think he'd have possibly have made a greater impact ?
Show More
Report Wilycayote May 17, 2011 8:15 AM BST
I agree Black Sam,
Compared to a lot of Irish or Darley stallions he has covered relatively few mares and yet has managed to get Group 1 winners over 6,8,&10 furlongs. He might not be the best sire in the world but the median rating of his offspring compares very well and I'm surprised more owner breeders dont make use of him.
Report salmon spray May 17, 2011 12:53 PM BST
I suspect the problem is partly that you don`t know what you are going to get. I know he has got the stayers you would have expected. Sakkee`s Secret is his highest-rated horse and he has one or two other good sprinters as well. The other obvious problem is that his male line isn`t Northern Dancer or Mr Prospector.
Report Prima Donna May 17, 2011 5:11 PM BST
I doubt he would be any more successful if he had stood with Darley,as until very recently they pretty much trashed everything they had.The broodmare band tented to be stoutly bred animals even their more precocious sorts were in turn were covered with middle distance late maturing stallions sires such as the mighty Singspiel, Lomitas,and the unforgettable Shareef Dancer.
If he was ever going to stand a chance of getting the right mares at any other stud then imo Coolmore would offer his best chance as they have such great broodmares,mares that can really help a sire achieve success from his first runners at the desired 2 y'olds.salmon spray's point about not being of the ND or Mr.P line is valid and much as we all talk about 'outcross' stallions none of us really use then when it comes down to it with the exception of Dalakhani for example who offers a lot as a BM sire.
Report potentialmillionaire May 17, 2011 6:16 PM BST
As ever BSB the criteria by which we measure stud success of a sire remains cloudy!
Those sort of in your face sires that are extensively marketed and catch the eye of agents, trainers and the fashion police frequently don't measure up to the Sakhee's of this world by some measures.
I can think of a great many popular 'successful' sires who will go a whole career without producing a Sakhee's Secret, Presvis or maybe now Tin Horse.
I think Sakhee would have needed a hell of a hand to make it commercially though and I'm not sure that the movers and shapers in that world would ever have even tried.
Perhaps Sakhee was in the right place anyway as he has compiled a respectable record, but I suppose given his ability to get a good fast horse it would have been lovely to have seen him covering the Coolmore type of mare.
Given his pedigree packed full of great broodmare influences and his ability to not get in the way of speed influences, I'd certainly give him a go as a broodmare sire.
Report jmc27 May 17, 2011 9:14 PM BST
Interesting thread!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com