Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Posh Paddy
19 Apr 11 20:44
| Topic/replies: 386 | Blogger: Posh Paddy's blog
I know I'm slightly biased here but Woohoo!  2l winner at Bath this evening.
Pause Switch to Standard View Baltic King off the mark
Show More
Report Prima Donna April 19, 2011 9:25 PM BST
Great stuff PP good luck with yours!HappyHas the mare been covered with Dandy yet?
Report Posh Paddy April 19, 2011 10:10 PM BST
Not yet, she was dirty and had to be cleaned up by the Vet. Vet is due to come back and look at her end of the week, all being well she'll be off to Dandy Man early next week.  If all is not well the mare will be going somewhere else.

Heading back to the motherland on Thursday to see the family and so will see my Baltic King then, really looking forward to it as I havn't seen him since October.

How are your Dandy Man foals?
Report Prima Donna April 19, 2011 10:20 PM BST
Doing well PP they are nice sorts,very pleased with them,Dandy Man is a nice sort.Good luck with the mare.
Report potentialmillionaire April 19, 2011 10:54 PM BST
Posh Paddy, My I'm impressed.

Not by the foal but by your ability to put a picture on here!! Quite beyond my capabilities I'm just relieved when the bloody thing cranks into life when I hit the on buttonConfused

I assume the foal/yearling pictured is the Baltic King? Looks encouraging - nice head and a bit of presence. I can and do breed 'em inferior to that fella that's for sure Cry. Well done.
Report Posh Paddy April 20, 2011 8:16 PM BST
Surprised myself, didn't notice the insert photo option before, was reasonably simple in the end.

But yes, this is my Baltic King, picture taken back in October so he was about four and half months old.  I'll try and get a new pic this week and will post it up when I'm back.

Thanks for the kind words too. 

If anyone else has any comments feel free, good, bad or indifferent,as long as they are honest I'd be interested to know.  I'm not exactly an expert on conformation so the more I can learn the better.
Report Posh Paddy May 3, 2011 8:36 PM BST
As promised I've attached a photo of my Baltic King yearling.

Be warned he is looking a bit scraggy as he's still got bits of his winter coat.

Report potentialmillionaire May 3, 2011 8:51 PM BST
Well done PP you've been mastering the technology again. I think that we are a bit further ahead over here in coat terms, but no matter.

Your colt still looks good!
Report Prima Donna May 4, 2011 6:57 PM BST
PP,Looks a good sort,the good thing is he looks just like his sire.A few of ours are also behind in their coats mostly the fillies,this year we have had a few with lice god only knows where those came from.
Report Posh Paddy June 4, 2011 2:24 PM BST
Baltic Kings's half brother by Exceed & Excel - Fulbright - wins the Listed Woodcote stakes at Epsom.  It all helps I suppose.
Report Posh Paddy July 5, 2011 8:17 PM BST
Baltic King finally gets winner number 2 on the board, Xinbama at Ponte today.  It's only been 3 months since the first one.Shocked

Obviously I'be been watching his like a hawk and I reckon there are 4 others of his that are capable of winning, just wish they'd get on with it.

Report Somerset Sam July 6, 2011 7:29 AM BST
PP,

He hasnt half filled out?! What size would he be now, how big was his dam? Is he a bit narrow in front or is the photo misleading?
Report Posh Paddy July 7, 2011 7:20 PM BST
This picture is about a month old so he should have grown more since then and he does have more growing to do as he is a late foal.

Height wise from the top of his ears to the bottom of his feet he would be about 6ft ish.   I’ve no idea what he would be in Hands (sorry Horse connoisseurs.)

You are right he is a bit narrow at the front but he will broaden out, currently his front feet point out a bit (spray toed) so as he broadens these should straighten up too.

I’ve attached a picture of him aged about 4 mths with his Dam so you can get an idea of her size, no idea how big she actually is though.

Am I happy with him at the moment? Yes broadly speaking. How do I feel about him going forward? Cautiously optimistic.

Report Posh Paddy July 14, 2011 6:50 PM BST
Winner No 3 for Baltic King today in the seller at Leicester. Courtland King goes in at 9th time of asking by 3 lengths.
Report Posh Paddy July 24, 2011 5:10 PM BST
Winner No4, Baltic Fizz went in yesterday evening at Lingfield.
Report Posh Paddy August 2, 2011 7:42 PM BST
Winner No 5, Colourful Event at Bath this afternoon.
Report Posh Paddy October 8, 2011 7:01 PM BST
UK winner No 6 -  Galilee Chapel last night a Wolves.  It's only been 2 months since the last one.  Still, 43% winners to runners, albeit not at the highest level is not to be sniffed at.
Report Posh Paddy January 25, 2012 9:03 PM GMT
Liquid Sunshine scores at Kempton today making it 3 new winners in the last 2 weeks, that's 9 winners from 16 runners in the UK and Ireland (56%) Excited.
Report potentialmillionaire January 25, 2012 10:09 PM GMT
Glad to see they are winning P P, and we know they're fertile. . . Whoops
Report Posh Paddy January 30, 2012 1:32 PM GMT
Latest pic of the "stallion".  Work in progress.

Report potentialmillionaire January 30, 2012 2:04 PM GMT
Straw in his tail Posh Paddy, just what sort of show are you running! Laugh

I remember a new -and now very well known manager- choking on his own collar when that happened at the sales once, how we larfed!!

Anyway, all looks fine PP, is he an amenable type in his new career?
Report Posh Paddy January 30, 2012 10:20 PM GMT
He is amenable and taking to it rather well. By all accounts enjoying it too.  The next test will come when we get to the point of someone riding him.  Depending on how that goes, he'll be gelded or not. Then he'll be turned out in the field for a few months.

What's the general consensus on gelding?  I'm told it will make no difference to him but help him keep his mind on the job.  I don't know enough, do I just get it done or resist for longer or is it case of earlier the better?

As for the straw in his tail, only you PM would have highlighted that.  Still I'm grateful that it was only the straw that you passed negative comment upon.
Report potentialmillionaire January 30, 2012 10:31 PM GMT
I wouldn't geld until you have to PP. I think that his behaviour would have to be dire to go down that route and you will know by now if that's the case.

I was involved with the breaking of Ile de Chypre who the old gits on here will remember with the Greville Starkey stun gun case. Anyway he was truely loopy but we got the job done eventually and he won his Gp1.

Protect your future stallion PP! Or, If it ain't broke . . .
Report Prima Donna February 1, 2012 12:39 PM GMT
I remember seeing the quirky Ile de Chypre at Sandown Park when he ran in the Eclipse,from what I can remember he was a great looking colt on that day he did impress me with his looks.What ever happened to him?Oh my god that was 22 years ago........now I feel old!
Report potentialmillionaire February 1, 2012 1:16 PM GMT
Prima, you need to stop remembering dates - for all our sakes! I did not need reminding of that Cry

I remeber him as a foal/yearling light through the neck but a great set of tree trunks on him.

But my god was he difficult!
Report Prima Donna February 1, 2012 7:02 PM GMT
Light through the neck was he,if you are old like me Pot M you may also remember his sire Ile de Bourbon,I can sadly say I remember him winning the King George at Ascot he was not the most robust looking individual at all,but at least he left us Kahyasi who was a great looking little horse that went on to be a very good stallion.In fact he's one of my favourite sires.
Report potentialmillionaire February 1, 2012 7:38 PM GMT
That was his weakness (and his brain ofcourse) Prima, but other than that he was always going to make a smashing type, loads of strength.

Funny how you are a Khahyasi man, I too think he was underrated. However there are many similar types, begetters of late maturing stock I would have thought and I would've thought you'd hate them pretty resoundingly! What tickled your Kahyasi fancy?
Report Prima Donna February 1, 2012 7:48 PM GMT
I don't know really but I remember him winning at Lingfield and after the race had him down to win at Epsom,his smallish neat sort very often win because they handle Epsom so well.All the talk was about Red Glow who I never liked at all Kahyasi reminded me of Blakeney so I backed him I always thought he was going to win.You may remember me telling you about my favourite pet mare,well she was by Kahyasi and like most of his stock was a really good sort.I again like him so much because he goes very well with Danehill,
The Aga's stallions are never really commercial but they do make very broodmare sires imo Kahyasi is one of the best for that job.
Report potentialmillionaire February 1, 2012 7:49 PM GMT
The Helvellyn foal on RP website tonight sure looks like a good start. Great head and strong for a filly I would guess - with  the usual wool pulling provisos ofcourse!
Report potentialmillionaire February 1, 2012 7:53 PM GMT
Was that your last winning bet? Sad!

Red Glow was one of those types that look good on a little girls wall I think.

Your pet mare still going strong? Mine is!
Report Prima Donna February 1, 2012 7:59 PM GMT
Yes she's still going strong but I no longer cover her she's just my little pet who greatly annoys Slick each time she either looks at her or listens to me explaining why I will always have her around.She has only bred winners but didn't get anything remotely stakes class.
And I also did see Helvellyn's foal and yes it looks a good sort.
Report potentialmillionaire February 1, 2012 8:18 PM GMT
And I bet when you tell her how she should have had a ton of stakes winners if things had just gone her way - Well I bet that's when you're really popular over breakfast Laugh
Report Prima Donna February 1, 2012 8:38 PM GMT
The truth is mind I did give her every chance I am as guilty of 'over covering'as everyone else,that point I'm often reminded of.Grin
Report midas7 February 1, 2012 8:56 PM GMT
Hi Pot M and Pd,

Just to put my pennyworth in over Kahyasi,I purchased in October 2011 a 4yo Kahyasi gelding -great French jumping line on the Dam side from a very well known Southern NH Trainer explained to me the owners were only interested in Saturday horses and unfortunately this fellow was'nt going to meet the criteria.Anyway all I can say about this fellow and we are still finding out about him,fabulous looker/tremendous walker /great to handle. Will be absolutely shocked if we cant win races with him up the North with him. Just cannot believe what a cracking looker/great confimation he has,fingers crossed.By the way the trainer I bought him from,absolute gentleman couldnt have been more helpful.
Report midas7 February 1, 2012 9:05 PM GMT
Sorry to have an add on on my previous thread but from having horses to race, its always been an ambition of mine to have one from the Aga Khans. I suppose I'm old fashioned but just love his attitude to the breed .I see he has 6 going through at Goffs shortly but and I appreciate this is a very very general question but would you offer someone like me encouragement to go down this route for a horse maybe 3yo for the flat I appreciate middle distance would be the norm and then through time the NH route with the animal.I appreciate they are not commercial from the breeding sense but my priority is to race!!

Sorry if I'm waffling but as I say its always been a dream of mine!!
Report potentialmillionaire February 1, 2012 9:27 PM GMT
I'm sure that a bit of time will do your gelding good midas7.

Hopefully you can prove previous connections misplaced and turn him into a Saturday horse after all!

I imagine that the Aga Khan's people are quite candid with what they think their culls are most suited for with their next owners? It's obviously a potentially great way for you to aquire a potential dual purpose type. However, I imagine the most obvious prospects get very pricey indeed - have you got deep pockets?!
Report midas7 February 1, 2012 9:40 PM GMT
Hi Pot M,

Unfortunately not deep pockets, but I suppose whatI was trying to say was that with quite a few of the Agas progeny require time and this may not suit everyone but on the other hand in recent times purchases from this source have proved very succesful and as you say will have been priced accordingly.
Report Posh Paddy May 17, 2012 8:32 PM BST
Baltic King has his first 2 yo winner of the year.  Fortinbrass wins at HQ today on his 3rd start.Excited

Report Black Sam Bellamy May 18, 2012 6:36 PM BST
Thurloe Thoroughbreds have a 2YO colt by Baltic King

http://www.thurloethoroughbreds.com/syndicatehorses/index.htm

He is a cracker
Report Posh Paddy May 24, 2012 2:00 PM BST
BSB, now I know what I should be aiming for and what you get for £50K.

As an aside, seeing as this is a forum on a gambling site and I was a little bored at work today, here's a stat for you.

Since 1 Jan 2012 progeny of Baltic King have the following record on the AW in GB.

10,1,6,1,1,6,9,2,1,5,1,3,1,9,6,11,1,12,1.  That's 42% wins to runs.

If you had put £1 on every race you would currently be showing a profit of £50.

Do with this what you will.Wink
Report Posh Paddy May 26, 2012 9:35 PM BST
Time to bore the forumites again.

Pay Freeze wins a nice maiden at York by 5 lengths to make it 2 yo winner no 2.

That's 3 wins from the last 3 runners for Baltic King.Excited
Report Posh Paddy June 23, 2012 4:27 PM BST
Baltic Bomber won yesterday that's 12 winners from 20 runners in the UK.

Please excuse the frayed head collar.Blush
Report potentialmillionaire June 23, 2012 5:11 PM BST
When's he going to stop cantering round the field and start galloping round a racecourse P.P ?
Report Posh Paddy June 23, 2012 9:13 PM BST
Next year - April, May hopefully, remember he was a June foal.

Still a long way to go, he's going up the road mid July for 6 weeks of pre-training.  After that I should have an idea of whether the dream is worth continuing with.Crazy

I took advise from those with more experience than me and they said it would be a waist of money putting him in full training as a 2yo as he'd probably be out late and also be more likely to break down.
Report potentialmillionaire June 23, 2012 11:00 PM BST
Do as much as you can afford with him this year P.P.

Every study made suggests that full, but not over, training them at 2 will have positive benefits for their future career. His knees look okay in the picture. Perhaps in pre training when he's caught a few pigeons, he might make a belated run at the Dewhurst.

Good luck!
Report Posh Paddy August 31, 2012 11:08 PM BST
Baltic Knight wins 2nd time out for Hannon & Hughes at Kempton last night.  Owned by Thurloe Thoroughbreds and highlighted earlier on this thread by Black Sam Bellamy.

Report potentialmillionaire September 1, 2012 1:48 PM BST
Testing
Report potentialmillionaire September 1, 2012 1:50 PM BST
He looks like you've done a bit with him Posh Paddy. Any chance of seeing some action or are you still hoping to do a Makfi with him and leave us guessing until the Rowley Mile in May?
Report Posh Paddy September 1, 2012 5:01 PM BST
Unless he turns into Pegasus he won't be out at 2.

He had only been in pre-training for 3 weeks (started 1 Aug) when these were taken.  The plan is for him to be there until the end of October.  By then we should know what we're dealing with.  All being well back to the field for 2 months then back pre-training for December where hopefully they'll get a couple of fast pieces of work into him then over to the UK for an estimated early April kick-off.Excited
Report potentialmillionaire September 1, 2012 9:03 PM BST
Pegasus it is then, that Gp 3 at Ascot in October will do just fine! Glad all is well.
Report Posh Paddy September 14, 2012 9:13 PM BST
After nearly two complete seasons Baltic King finally gets his first Irish winner, Fromajacktoaking wins at Down Royal.  Better late than never.

Report Posh Paddy November 28, 2012 7:43 PM GMT
Well it's been a while but Bay Laurel wins at Wolverhampton to make it UK winner number 14 from 22 runners (64%).

Little montage for you all..........

http://
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YQguchkLZ8
Report Posh Paddy December 18, 2012 10:18 AM GMT
In light of the forum being so quiet, I thought I'd post the latest pic of my fella taken a week ago, if anyone is interestedConfused

Report Prima Donna December 20, 2012 6:30 AM GMT
Had alook PP,yeah he looks a good sort,lets hope he does it for you and gives you something back after the bad luck you had with his dam.Have you yet replaced her?
Report Posh Paddy December 20, 2012 8:49 PM GMT
Thanks PD, no I have not replaced his dam.  I had a small amount (E10K) to go shopping with this time last year but everything I liked at the sales, everyone else did too or was withdrawn so it never happened.  Then I loaned most of the money to family to get them out of a bit of a bind and I won't be seeing it for a minimum of another 4-5 months, maybe longer.

When it comes back I may have another look but likely not until my venture into ownership is over.  Having one in the paddock and one on the track at the same time would be well beyond my means as I'm pushing the limits just to do the track.

I'll definately have another broodmare just not sure when.Sad
Report Prima Donna December 21, 2012 5:17 AM GMT
It's never easy in this game is it the costs can and do just spiral out of control and fast at times.In a way it's a pity your Baltic King 'gelding' isn't a filly,if that was the case and 'she' won then she perhaps could be a worthy replacement for her ill fated mother.
Still you never know he might become half decent and manage to earn you enough to get yourself a nice commercial replacement and have some fun in the process,the very best of luck with him PP and best wishes for Christmas.PD.
Report Posh Paddy March 21, 2013 8:53 PM GMT
Well it's been a while since there was any activity on this thread, a new winner for Baltic King as Baltic Prince won on Monday.

Report potentialmillionaire March 21, 2013 9:50 PM GMT
Looks like you've strengthened up since December Posh.

Are you getting nearer?!
Report Posh Paddy March 22, 2013 1:41 PM GMT
He's taken a bit longer to settle into his new home than I had hoped and he picked up a cough from the lorry on the way over Cry which was rather frustrating so that held him up for a bit too.

Anyway we are getting nearer, hopefully another few weeks (4-5) and he'll be ready to run (touch wood).Excited
Report potentialmillionaire March 22, 2013 8:17 PM GMT
Get the bugs out of the way now Posh, I always think that as many things you can expose them to before it really matters is good practice. Keep up the fab photography and I trust it will be some racecourse photographer's efforts, of a certain Paddy leading him in instead, before we know it!
Report Posh Paddy March 25, 2013 1:16 PM GMT
Thanks PM, I dream of nothing else. I pray he has enough ability to win a race, any race, I'm not fussy.
Report Posh Paddy April 2, 2013 4:42 PM BST

I know I've already put this photo up but given yesterdays events I thought it was worth putting up again.

It was taken last August and the horse on the far side is none other than yesterday's shock Irish Grand National winner - Liberty Counsel being ridden by her trainer Dot Love.

Grand National 2020 here we comeCrazyLaugh!!!

Just out of interest my fella is by a sprinter out of a mare that won over 6 & 7f, has anyone else on here ended up breeding the opposite of what they were aiming for?
Report kpf April 3, 2013 7:19 AM BST
I understand that Red Rum was bred to be a miler .
Report potentialmillionaire April 13, 2013 9:59 PM BST
Hope all is well Posh Paddy.

I have decided not to worry that your fellow is more Newton Abbot than Newmarket.

I trust that he is looking a little nippier than most 'National' specialists!
Report roadrunner46 April 20, 2013 3:54 PM BST
good winner for Baltic knight yesterday class 2 standard now.
Report Posh Paddy April 20, 2013 10:22 PM BST
Everthing is going fine PM, he has got into the routine now and all being well (touch wood) he should be making his debut in the next 2-3 weeksExcited

RR, I saw Baltic Knight won again and he looks to have a bright future.  I doubt my fella will be anywhere near that level - I can dream though.Crazy

Report potentialmillionaire April 20, 2013 10:58 PM BST
Certainly looking close Posh!

Scarey timesExcited

I've got a few I've bred who would be carrying a fair ammount of pressure attached this time too, so it's about now that I remember why I love the close season so much Cry
Report roadrunner46 April 21, 2013 12:34 AM BST
posh paddy whats the horse called? thanks and goodluck
Report Posh Paddy April 30, 2013 1:39 PM BST
Sorry for the late response RR but I wanted to get my ducks in row before replying.

PM, I don't think "scarey" does it justice.  I swing from absolute dread to sheer excitment, back to terror then to dizzy lightheadedness every time I think about it all, which is about every few minutes and I'm a complete mess at the moment and have been for the last week and a half.Crazy

Anyway the day of reckoning is drawing ever closer - This Saturday, 4 May, 4.40 Goodwood.

I'm trying to make myself feel better by thinking that there can be no nicer place than the Sussex Downs to watch him trail in 30 lengths last. Laugh
Report potentialmillionaire April 30, 2013 2:30 PM BST
AND Posh it's Goodwood, so you can trail in last and still perhaps have a bit of ability!

Hope all is fabulous though!
Report turnip turns April 30, 2013 5:45 PM BST
Just been reading this thread,it's a joy tbh,good luck at Goodwood SaturdayCool
Report Posh Paddy May 4, 2013 10:14 PM BST
4th! Brilliant run, the favourite took too long to be loaded so my fella fell asleep in the stalls and broke last. Then got interferred with and the jockey was lucky to stay on. Plugged on for a valiant 4th. Will learn a lot for the experience. Prize money of £210 earned. Over the Moon!Grin

Report potentialmillionaire May 5, 2013 6:16 PM BST
Great start Posh although a price of 12.1 suggests he was known not to be totally useless!

Hopefully he will go on from there and give you all a lot of fun and reward you sufficiently to re commence your breeding activities Grin
Report Posh Paddy May 19, 2013 9:55 PM BST
A new winner for Baltic King yesterday - Prince of Arabia won first time out at Newbury.

Alan Jarvis: "I think Joseph had only ridden once for me before, but I think a bit of this one. Obviously he's sat on a lot of good horses and I wanted to know what he thought."

The other Baltic King in the same race didn't fair quite so wellSad

Report potentialmillionaire May 20, 2013 9:41 PM BST
Posh, I noted your run. Will you be steering clear of grade 1 tracks whilst you establish your niche?

Presumably a handicap mark will be the way ahead but not all doom and gloom I hope?
Report Posh Paddy May 21, 2013 10:07 AM BST
I always knew the Newbury race would be too hot but there was still the inner dreamer in my head thinking he might have a sniff of a chance. 

It was the only 7f maiden in the South East of England last week or this week so we didn’t really have much of a choice but to run there.

To be fair to the horse he finished about where I and the market thought he would finish so it is not all doom and gloom by any means.

A handicap mark will be the way ahead and we will probably head to Brighton or Lingfield in the next 10 days assuming the horse is ok after his exertions.

Depending on what sort of mark we get an appropriate plan will be made.  At the moment it’s looking about 50-55, hardly superstar status.

In my head this is what I had planned for, just not what I was dreaming of.  Still at least I won’t have the added expense of buying a Top Hat.Laugh
Report Posh Paddy June 15, 2013 8:18 PM BST
First Black Type winner for Baltic King as Baltic Knight wins the Listed “Ian & Kate Hall Macmillan Ganton Stakes” at York this afternoon.

My fella was disappointing last time out but was very lame the next week, so much so that the trainer was worried he’d damaged his pelvis.  The Dam and a half sister did a pelvis so we went for a bone scan.  A few  nerve wracking  days and £650.00 Shocked later and the scan came back clear – Phew!  The conclusion was that he’d just pulled a muscle.

He’s back doing light cantering and will go back into full work next week, all being well we could be back on the track by the start of July or even the end of June.  The handicapper has given him a mark of 65 which on some lines of form looks a little harsh and on others looks not too bad, so I suppose it’s fair enough.

The whole experience of racing my horse is such a rollercoaster, the emotions run to such extremes, however I think I’m enjoying it.Confused
Report roadrunner46 June 15, 2013 9:04 PM BST
did notebook baltic knight on this threadWink, wd thought that horse was going places, usually do once i mention them.Cool
good picture
Report Posh Paddy July 16, 2013 1:25 PM BST
Ticking Katie wins at Ayr to give Baltic King's his first 2yo winner of the year.

My fella hit the comeback trail last week after his setback and the run should have bought him on a good deal. He ended up going off second favorite which was quite bizarre Crazy - not my money. Nice of the handicapper to drop him 2 lb this week thoughHappy.

Hopefully we can find a suitable target over 10f (ish).  The firm going is proving a bit of problem so we will probably end up back on the AW unless we get a spot of rain, which I can't see happening for a while.
Report bananaoasis July 17, 2013 9:26 AM BST
How about trying out the fibresand? He might enjoy it...
Report yer ma July 17, 2013 9:27 PM BST
PP I assume you were told he needed a bone scintigraphy - tbh I've never seen a horse diagnosis benefit significantly from it.  If there's a fracture in that area it'll be scannable in his box by your vet and there will be pinpointable swelling and lameness.  It annoys me greatly vets going down that route as its a costly cop-out.  Anyway hope troubles are behind him (pardon the pun).
Report Posh Paddy July 18, 2013 1:58 PM BST
Bananaoasis - To be honest he can go wherever the trainer can find a suitable opportunity, fibresand, polytrack, tapeta Laugh, I'm not fussy.  Just need to stear clear of firm going, which is a challenge at the moment.

Yer ma - The horse was that lame that the trainer and vet were convinced it was a fractured pelvis, I was happy to go with their recommendation of a scan as they have a great deal more experience than I.  Anyway he is fine at the moment and came out of his last race well.  I'm sure there will be many more twists and turns in the road to come.  I just hope that it is nothing expensive or major too soon otherwise I will run out of moneyScared
Report bananaoasis July 18, 2013 9:18 PM BST
You paying the bills, have a word with the trainer and get him to Southwell, believe the dam won on the surface, and the sire has had winners their, good luck wherever and whatever you do, hope he stays sound aswell.
Report Posh Paddy August 21, 2013 9:50 PM BST
Baltic King had his first winners today over the sticks.

Baltic Blade wins by 11 lengths at Newton Abbot.

The other thing to note about this event is that not only is it his first win over hurdles but he was bred by yours trulyGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

So a horse that was bred not to get an inch above 7f (by a sprinter out of a sprinter)wins over 2m+.  This breeding game will make mugs of us all!

Over the moon.  A little bit emotional at the moment and rather the worse for drink.

A special thank you goes to to a poster who doesn't frequent this forum too much any more - Slicknsmooth who all those years ago recommended Baltic King as a stallion.

A big thank you also to all of you on the B&B forum - PD & PM in particular who's advise, encouragment and words of wisdom have helped me get to this point (one of the most amazing in my life)

This whole thing was conceived nearly 5 years ago when I bought an ageing mare and sent her to a tough unproven stallion (thanks to SNS).  Dreams really do come true.

I love you all PPGrinGrinGrin

Report potentialmillionaire August 21, 2013 10:26 PM BST
PP don't be driving home tonight!

Delighted for you and you are a fabulous advert for the joys of the game.

Now drink plenty of water before bye-byes tonight or you are going to regret it in the morning.

Hopefully The Blade will be feeling a little more chipper than his owner breeder tomorrow!
Report proxygene August 21, 2013 11:03 PM BST
Congrats
Report neill d August 21, 2013 11:29 PM BST
Congrats, I saw the race, he absolutely murdered them, any quotes for the Triumph? Happy
Report Posh Paddy August 25, 2013 10:52 AM BST
Thank you for your kind words.

I'm still on cloud nine despite a fairly punchy hangover the next day.

PM - I don't know if I'd be considered a fabulous advert for the joys of the game.  I just try and surround myself with people who know what they are doing, trust them to do the right thing and take as much advise as I can.

I do tend to get rather excited mind, so much so that when Mrs PP told the trainer after one run, "I think he's a little bit calmer this time as I made him have a couple of pints before the race", the trainer responded, "Really? I thought you'd given him a couple of Red Bull!"

Neill D - No quotes for the Triumph, I know the opposition was nothing to right home about and the favorite pulled very hard and disappointed badly.  Still he couldn't have done it much better and he jumped pretty well (despite pecking the last and nearly giving me a heart attackShocked).

Report kpf August 27, 2013 7:49 AM BST
Pleased for you PP

Website needs updating now
Report Prima Donna August 28, 2013 8:55 PM BST
Many congratulations PPGrin Slick and I are both delighted for you, What a shame you lost the mare and in foal to this year's hot horse too...
Report bananaoasis September 5, 2013 6:05 PM BST
Congratulations with the win. Hope he goes on and gives you more hangovers Wink
Report Posh Paddy September 5, 2013 8:23 PM BST
Thanks Bananaoasis, fingers crossed for another hangover on Sunday.  I still can't quite believe it happened.  It's so hard to get a horse to the track let alone to win.  So many people have played an important part in getting him to this point - forumites, vet, in laws, pre-trainer, trainer, lad, jockey. I'm the least important cog, I just pay the bills.

PD, it was a shame to have lost what would now have been a March born yearling by a super hot sire, although how good his page would look with a hurdling sibling on it I'm not so sureShocked

Still those rewards would be financial and while very nice and needed, they don't come close to the thrill of a winner so please pass on my gratitude to SNS when next your paths crossHappy.

Report kpf March 27, 2014 12:01 PM GMT
Any news PP now the ground is drying out ????
Report Posh Paddy March 27, 2014 2:05 PM GMT
Nice of you to ask kpf, as you mention it there is some news.

After his last run at Fontwell I decided that he could do with a break (he'd raced 5 times in 2 mths) including his win so I sent him back to my in-laws place in Ireland where he was raised for a holiday.  He sat in a field for two and a half months before going into pre-training at the start of December.

He arrived back in the UK at the start of Feb (would have been earlier but for a dirty nose and rather rough Irish Sea that meant horses couldn't get over Cry).

He's been doing well since he's been back and is actually entered this Sunday in a handicap at Ascot at 3.00. 

The opposition look decent but he'll be bottom weight and hopefully he'll have improved in the last 6 mths.  We have to start somewhere and with prize money payable down to 6th and getting £100 for racing on a sunday there are worse places to go.  Plus it's Ascot!ExcitedExcitedExcited

We hav n't been waiting on the ground, it just so happens that he's ready to roll at this time and the ground is coming in his favour. 

Fingers crossed he runs ok and comes back safe and sound.

Report kpf March 28, 2014 1:22 PM GMT
Looks a tuffie PP , Jamie booked a bonus

The yard must be ****-a-hoop after SDG's exploits

Best of luck Sunday

Enjoy
Report Posh Paddy April 1, 2014 2:13 PM BST

What promised to be a great day turned out to be a shocker as he ran very disappointingly despite jumping well in what was a messy race with a loose horse from the start and no pace on.

Unfortunately he was lead back in lame with the jockey dismounted and it looks like the racing dream is over as he has sustained major damage to one of the tendons in his near fore.

Even as someone who doesn’t know much about horses, seeing him being lead round with the back of his short pastern nearly touching the ground every time he stepped on it I knew it was bad. Watching him being loaded into the horse ambulance to be taken down to the stables to be seen by the racecourse vet was absolutely devastating. 

By the time I got down to the stables he had been assessed and the vet told me his tendon was two thirds gone.   He said it was unlikely he would race again but that he was young and should be able to do a job outside of racing.

His leg is currently in a cast and in 10 days or so it will be removed and the leg assessed by the trainers vet.  Assuming that he agrees with the racecourse vets initial assessment I will then get him back to Ireland to my in-laws with a view of trying to get him sound again (8-10 months).  From there hopefully we will be able to find a home for him.   He is a mild mannered and genuine horse but he needs to do something otherwise he’ll get up to no good.   How he’s going to cope with months of box rest I don’t know.

Ever the optimist, I’m viewing this as just another part of his journey through life, he wasn’t going to be a racehorse forever and he was always going to have to find something else to do eventually, it’s just this part has arrived slightly quicker than I was thinking it would.

Keeping fingers firmly crossed for the next few weeks & months.
Report neill d April 1, 2014 2:20 PM BST
Sorry to hear that PP.
Report proxygene April 1, 2014 3:02 PM BST
Sad news, hope he mends quickly
Report Posh Paddy May 20, 2014 2:35 PM BST
Well it's now been nearly two months since that fateful day at Ascot. He returned to Ireland 3 weeks ago where he remains confined to his box except for being allowed out for the odd pick of grass. 

There is no heat in the leg anymore which is great however the swelling is still very bad.Sad 

Anway we continue on.............
Report yer ma May 20, 2014 6:25 PM BST
Hey PP.   Remote assessment by photo isn't advised but if that was a leg we'd had two months ago I'd be disappointed.  If that's swelling and not fluid (ie. 'fill' which would also not be great) it needs a lot of hosing or ice.  The tendon stabilising to less than twice its normal size would be the minimum I'd expect after two months.  When a vet scans they usually judge the increase in tendon (and hole / lesion) circumference in millimetres, that looks like centimetres.  No reason to be alarmed if horse is fairly sound but I'd get it scanned again and ask the vet for an opinion.

Clearly the pic may be worse / misleading and the people on hand are the best to judge.  GL
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com