Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jonnyrotten
26 Jan 11 21:02
| Topic/replies: 541 | Blogger: jonnyrotten's blog
has anybody got a veiw on him for this year?
Show More
Report yer ma January 26, 2011 9:54 PM GMT
Nice pedigree but not a looker. Three seasons in Ireland max and then back to France or Germany a la Whipper.  Likely to sell as badly over here as Whipper too but I could be wrong.
Report potentialmillionaire January 26, 2011 9:55 PM GMT
Has anyone seen him? Is he as ugly as that galloping shot shows him to be? He looks a bit like a gypsy horse in that picture! I think it is probably unfairly unflattering - but if so, why?

He is also not over blessed on the pedigree front either so with the Frenchness of the horse added in, I think he needs a lot of thought.
Report Gimcrack January 27, 2011 12:38 PM GMT
He's not really my cup of tea. He has a bit of a rounded head and I'm pretty sure he wasn't the most genuine. I think there might be a little bit too much going on between those eyes of his. I would certainly not rule him out though. His sire get's plenty of stock like that and he seems to be doing okay?

Does anyone have any views on PACO BOY? There's a mare we are thinking of selling in December and are considering whether he would be a good cover for this purpose? Will he give the page a good look? Other options would be SHOWCASING (if he's not full) or maybe something proven, like EXCEED AND EXCEL. But preference would be for a first season sire.

Any views would be great.
Report Race1 January 27, 2011 1:16 PM GMT
Exceed and Excel is full.
Report Gimcrack January 27, 2011 1:28 PM GMT
Ah, Thanks for that. Yes, I had a feeling he might be. Do you have any good advice on anything that isn't yet full? I'm guessing the majority of the Darley sires will be full now. I suppose they have to cover their 50,000 mares, or whatever ridiculous figure it is, with something? You can't knock them too much though, they do breed at least one group winner a year.
Report sammy_fool January 27, 2011 2:42 PM GMT
theres the stallion parade at newmarket sales next week so u can look at quite a few stallions there and i think theres at least 5 ist season sires there including showcasing.also u have all the other studs near by so u can see alot of stallions in one day.
Report Gimcrack January 27, 2011 4:41 PM GMT
Thanks Sammy. Yeah, I was hoping to have a look at some of them there. Though, I guess what I'm really asking is; What stallion mating will give the mare the best possible chance in December? I understand this is all relative to the quality of the mare etc. but any opinions would definitely be appreciated. Who knows, it might be some you folk that I'm selling to!
Report potentialmillionaire January 27, 2011 10:05 PM GMT
Gimcrack, what about 'gambling' on a horse with 1st season yearlings this year. You could make a judgement on how his yearlings should sell from last years foals and then you could be on a hot young sire who hasn't got much to go wrong between your cover and your sale.

I think Showcasing will not be too much help as a covering sire as in my opinion he is not really of a high enough profile for the job. I am using him because I think he has potential to get great looking foals which will then raise his profile, but that's too late for you.

Paco and Equiano might do, and I would trust Equiano slightly more, but I don't think they are nailed on to actually improve your mares prospects.
Report Wilycayote January 28, 2011 9:02 AM GMT
Having seen Paco and Equino a couple of times, the thing that would worry me is that neither of them are the best walkers.

Pot M's theory to have a go with a stallion with yearlings this year is an interesting one as little risk of devaluing the nomination but you could find you get into the hot yearling sale sire which would really help sell the mare. TAMAYUZ would fall into this bracket best for me, and I think the SAKHEE'S SECRET yearlings will also sell well having seen the foals.
Report Gimcrack January 28, 2011 12:10 PM GMT
PotM, that's an interesting idea. Though, I'm not really convinced about the sires with first crop yearlings this year. I've generally found the TAMAYUZ foals to be a bit light of bone and, although I do like him, I'm not sure that SAKHEE'S SECRET is right for this mare.

Do you think the same would work for a stallion with his first crop 2yr old's this year. I know it's more of a risk If things don't go to plan, but it could potentially work best of all. Something like, TEOFILO or LAWMAN perhaps? Both sold very well and they would be my picks for this year, especially as long term stallion prospects.
Report potentialmillionaire January 28, 2011 8:07 PM GMT
Gimcrack, are you sure you've got your hard head on here? !

I hope I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs by reminding you that the 'suitability' of the mating should be very much 2nd consideration if you are committed to selling the mare. Grin

Given the Tamayuz reception in Dec. it seems a fair bet that with a limited book, the market won't be flooded with l.o.b. types and a fair smattering of corkers could negate those that there are.
Sakhee's Secret, who I have used, was not on a lot of peoples radar so that makes his 1st season foal results that bit more laudible perhaps.

As for your thoughts on a 4th seasoner, well that's where the money could be ofcourse. However if you are clever enough to get that right - and that makes you mighty clever in my eyes - good on you as getting it wrong is surely the most likely result for us mere mortals!
Ofcourse then you add perception into the mix, and just how good does Teofilo have to be before he is considered successful? Holy Roman Emperor is one of the most successful 1st season sires ever, but right now that's not considered good enough.

You'd need to be much braver than me!

(Teofilo is well full for those not versed)
Report jonnyrotten January 28, 2011 10:06 PM GMT
I have a mare by a top stallion from a decent family, she was a non winner but has had two good looking foals both fillys(by cheep and cheerfull stallions) 1st made 10xnom as 2yo  sold and has won a maiden from only 3 starts, 2nd made 4x nom as foal  sold, then made 10xnom as yearling, she is due now to another c&c and i would like to upgrade her but i cannot bring myself to make a choice(not something i suffer from often as im always rightLaugh) breeding to sell i think im stuck in the difficult middle range you lot have been talking about, any thoughts would be welcome
Report potentialmillionaire January 28, 2011 10:33 PM GMT
jonny r

And have you not noticed how cr@p we are at having many solutions!

May I ask at what level your cheap and cheerfuls were pitched?
If your foals were making a decent profitable ammount (after all production costs) , some would say it ain't broke.
I would say that if they weren't getting into a genuinely profitable bracket (say for instance foal 2 was a £1500 cover and made £6000 as a foal) then you still need to be wary of doing anything too extravagent. But ofcourse colts in both instances could have fared very much better too.

My matings are still not fixed, but I am not panicking yet as the final choices are difficult and I am not kicking myself because I havn't wanted to use some of the already full. (Beware of this though all fellow ditherers)

Top stallion and decent family plus good looking foals would seem to give you scope to upgrade, but it's quite difficult to really know without more information. Quite understand if that's how you like it to remain, so that being the case, remember too about what may be too extreme cuts by our dear Government bringing the whole UK plc to a shuddering halt.

And on those tidings of joy. . .
Report jonnyrotten January 28, 2011 11:26 PM GMT
Thanks Potm any input is helpful sire is not galileo but has been in the top 5 for a while, the sires so far 3k 1stfirst foal 4k 2nd 4k inside, not that im considerd an optimist but i was thinking along the lines of alot fewer foals and the economy on the up along with the finances of racing, maby wishful thinking but its the  dream that keeps us going.
Report jonnyrotten January 28, 2011 11:34 PM GMT
Did any of the Irish boys go to see lope de vega at the open day? your thoughts would be welcome
Report potentialmillionaire January 29, 2011 5:43 PM GMT
I'll echo that, come on, someone must have seen the Ballylinch horse.

jonny r your results for a filly are by no means unrespectable. Indeed most of us would be happy with them, but I suppose it is a little fanciful to suggest the addition of two danglies would have made you rich as nothing is quite that black and white in this game. It sure might have helped though!

I am not the most qualified for sure but for what it's worth I would say I would possibly move up to the 7 or 8k level, but I would wait for a big track update to go beyond that.
Report roadrunner46 April 3, 2019 11:31 AM BST
just the 5 individual winners so far this year from lope de vega, with the increased stallion fees from
2015 onwards 40k to 80k, should be interesting times in the next few months for the progeny hopefully
Report sageform May 18, 2019 2:34 PM BST
Now on 22 GB wins this flat year and Raise You looked impressive at Newmarket-may go to the Prix du Jockey Club.
Report roadrunner46 May 18, 2019 11:34 PM BST
only race i had a bet on today, backed al hilalee in that race, just my luck, only £ 1 pound note so not complaing
Report roadrunner46 August 10, 2020 8:38 AM BST
good to see lope de vega doing well with a recent group 1 in the 6f keenland phoenix stakes with lucky vega
Report roadrunner46 August 10, 2020 8:54 AM BST
very interesting betting market in that phoenix stakes, the horse that beat lucky vega LTO at the curragh in a group 2 race, was an 8/1 chance , compared to
the winner at 4/1, plus the aiden o'brien favourite at 7/2 didnt have a scrap of form in the book
Report Big Black Cat August 10, 2020 12:26 PM BST
Not to mention Ventura Tormenta drifting like a barge in a storm in the Irish Sea all day...He was well fancied by the stable, and even the public pronouncements were fairly effusive.
Report roadrunner46 August 10, 2020 1:30 PM BST
golden rule never listen to what a trainer has to say, that trainers horses never seem to follow up a good result, must be the way he trains them, the most interesting aspect was the fake gamble on the aiden o'brien horse. it was so obvious that lucky vega would avenge his defeat LTO, judging by the betting
Report sageform October 24, 2020 10:17 AM BST
El Drama was another expensive Lope de Vega who impressed on debut yesterday. Anyone know why Ballylinch are running a lot in their own colours this year? Were they led out unsold or is it a change of policy? Their website and Twitter page give little info on who is behind such a big operation. The roster is looking very good with New Bay and Make Believe doing well.
Report monarch November 4, 2020 8:43 PM GMT
Ballylinch was bought in recent years by an American billionaire called John Malone. Fortunes have been spent on the place since, and they have snapped up some pricey fillies/broodmares from France (although i think some of those might be a joint venture with the China Horse Club). Here is a link to an IT article on Malone :

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/john-malone-the-us-billionaire-buying-up-ireland-1.2109800
Report truehoncho November 7, 2020 5:07 PM GMT
Well Monarch I think they have a great stallion in Lope De Vega to stand there. Thanks for the link.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com