Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Prima Donna
01 Nov 10 19:24
| Topic/replies: 4,152 | Blogger: Prima Donna's blog
Does he have a real chance of success with his runners next year?A very good 2y'old but being a son of Diesis out of a Niniski mare from a high class but not early family is he likely to figure in next years first season sire table,Sons of Diesis have been pretty disappointing as sires overall.A nice sort but imo has a poor hind leg does he put this on to his stock or are they nice types?Not seen too many of his foals but I have seen a few nice ones,any views.
Pause Switch to Standard View Three Valleys hit or miss?
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire November 1, 2010 8:00 PM GMT
Prima, is it not tough enough to pinhook without trying to second guess the unproven sire market?

Ofcourse that has nothing to do with the fact that I am intending to sell you a  filly foal at Tatts by a proven sprint sire. Laugh

The Three Valleys haven't exactly carried all before them this year have they. I haven't seen any myself. I was really keen on him as a concept but was more disappointed in him infront than behind when I saw him out of training. After all Sharpen Up hocks are part and parcel aren't they!

I am not anti Diesis for the job as I think he has had precious few chances. Daggers Drawn with less pedigree and ability nearly got the job done so just a small improvement on that and you'll have the odd decent runner next year to sell your filly off.

If all his yearlings were stamped - faults and all - then the faults would have kept prices flat but the stamped aspect might get them running well. I remember buying a 2nd crop Mujadil foal on the back of that winding limb that they all had. Mine was correct, the crooked ones then ran and bingo, my best ever pinhook!

And if ever there was a pedigree that should knit with the current glut of Danzig line mares then he has it!

Sorry to be just ranting here - hopefully someone who has actually seen some of them might poke their head up Laugh

P.S. I think he will get 2yo's on what I know.
Report Prima Donna November 1, 2010 9:25 PM GMT
Prima, is it not tough enough to pinhook without trying to second guess the unproven sire market?

Ofcourse that has nothing to do with the fact that I am intending to sell you a  filly foal at Tatts by a proven sprint sire

Yes Pot'M it is tough, but that is half the fun! Where is the skill in going to the sales and buying a very nice, safe and commercial foal for lots of money? Most people could go through the catalogue and pick out the earners, I like trying to make a turn as a bit of fun.

Your filly by a proven sprint sire, I hope she is not by Compton Place as he is not on my list, so you would be trying in vain to sell her to me. What do you hope to get for your filly? Rest assured though that I will be looking at the Champs Elysse's next year so perhaps you will have a nice one of those for me?!

A fair point about the stamp of a sire, faults and all. No-one wants a small or crooked one but if they are all small or crooked that's something I suppose.
Report potentialmillionaire November 1, 2010 10:05 PM GMT
Phew, I'm not Compton Place! I too think he has gone past the point of no return, though I did okay last year with him.

I'm feeling a little brittle at the moment so won't try and value the filly right now - too many setbacks - but hopefully she might restore my mojo!

How right you are, I'm not sure I've ever seen a nice obvious colt not making yearling money when sold as a foal!
Report Prima Donna November 2, 2010 9:58 AM GMT
Pot M are you going to be brave enough to tell me what your filly is by?does she have a sharp page as well?Not trying to flush you out but if she is commercial then I will look at her,if I do then perhaps I may introduce myself!!!GrinThat would be be funny if she ended up here.
Report potentialmillionaire November 2, 2010 11:31 AM GMT
Mid division page. Mid division sire. The filly is a bit backward at the moment, but won't be next year, it's just where she is right now. Everything is stuck on in the right place and she is a potential quality yearling - better than a mere '2yo type' though she will race at 2 for sure.

I think that's your lot!

P.s. delighted for you to get her Laugh and if I work out that that is the case I will definitely introduce myself.

P.P.s. Don't go buying her with Slick's chequebook and then come running to me for a backhander ! Laugh ! Laugh
Report Prima Donna November 2, 2010 12:07 PM GMT
We always expect luck money!And with me its got to forthcoming and generous!!!Laughbut this one's down to me its going to be my little bit of fun.Grinif it ends up mine I would be delighted to buy you a drink or two!
Report Prima Donna November 2, 2010 3:37 PM GMT
Pot M,are your foals on a one way ticket or will you take them back home if they don't get what you value them for?Have the sales been up to now good and has the mare had any runners yet?If so who trains them,that can help as its good to know if her siblings are with decent trainers you feel you may have a chance of improving the foals value if they are with a good handler.Lots of questions I know feel free to answer all or some.Happy
Report potentialmillionaire November 2, 2010 6:24 PM GMT
I try to take them on a one way ticket Prima.
I think it is important that you get a reputation for actually selling foals so people think there is always a chance they can 'steal' them. To be honest it has worked in my favour more often than not.  - Don't ask me to say how often! Interestingly though 2/3rds of my last years foals made a profit for their buyers which I am pleased about, but that rather bucks this years trends generally! The only foal I have taken home in the last 5 years or so was a no bid filly, who didn't fare much better as a yearling, subsequently she has become a pattern winner! I think the last time that happened (another filly) she too became a stakes winner.
The dam of your filly is young, not much time to have gone wrong yet. She does have a 2yo for next year with a top 2yo trainer but to be honest I hope that goes right for the buyer of my filly (heaven forbid it's not actually you). It's not something I will factor in short term really. That sort of potential update doesn't go unnoticed by buyers does it. They pay a premium for it in my opinion - how much I'm not sure.
I do just wonder if the foal market will be so tricky that I struggle with this particular filly. On previous experience I wouldn't expect any problems but you never know and as I've said before I am a bit rattled right now. My other prospect/s are truly scarey but i am resigned to that [:(]
Report Young Broodmare Filly Wanted November 2, 2010 6:42 PM GMT
Anyone any thoughts on foal market?  Im like POTM im doing this as hobby but no fun at moment.  I have the only 2 foals of second season stallion, his yearlings have sold well so far but still think it will be diaster.
Report potentialmillionaire November 2, 2010 6:59 PM GMT
YBFW
Hang on in there, there will be a market but you know how choosy it is. There are plenty of guys who's business model involves pinhooking end of.
They'll be there - tighter budgets fewer numbers maybe - but some folks will make money. It may be you!
Report Young Broodmare Filly Wanted November 2, 2010 7:12 PM GMT
I'm hanging in - My colt should be fine, filly who knows.
Report Prima Donna November 2, 2010 7:24 PM GMT
Young filly,is your filly by the same sire as the colt you had this year? Are you pleased with it if you have looked in on these posts I've said that the best foal I have seen this year is by that stallion,it was here this year but is now back in the UK,someone very well known and highly regarded within the industry picked it out as the best foal he had seen this spring the word 'outstanding' was used,as you say they have sold very well so far so the very best of luck with yours.Happy
Report Young Broodmare Filly Wanted November 2, 2010 11:28 PM GMT
I like the filly but like all the mares foals she is on the small side she will be a 2 year old for sure.  The colts half brother won today for Dandy Nicolls so not all doom and gloom, but feel all this is needed just to get them moved on :(
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com