Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Prima Donna
26 Oct 10 19:42
| Topic/replies: 4,152 | Blogger: Prima Donna's blog
Anyone used him?Beat a good field in the July Cup similar profile to the other Whitsbury July Cup winner Compton Place,can they do it again with SS.
Never used him not paid to much attention to him tbh,but he looks a good sort in his 'photo,I am looking to buy a filly at Tatt's foal sale is he worth a go or not?I know only one breeder who has used him he tells me the foal does not look like a 2y'old type any views?
Pause Switch to Standard View Sakhee's Secret
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire October 26, 2010 8:30 PM BST
Well you've probably guessed Prima, I've had a go!

He is a good type. Strong biggish very likeable in my opinion. I saw quite a few at Whitsbury this season and they were very 'stamped' and I thought the omens were quite good. Have you seen there are quite a few pictures of real baby foals on the website?

I could see that with a big scopey mare you wouldn't necessarily get a 2yo type but I would imagine with the horses strength, there will be a good few around that will do the 2yo look for sales purposes. It's a fast family, which seems to completely ignore the predelictions of the sires that have been put on it over the years so I suspect buyers won't be too scared of the Sakhee thing rearing it's **** head.

If he doesn't do Brockelsby, well I think he'll do speed, so that should be enough to sell the 1st crop at least.
Report Prima Donna October 26, 2010 9:08 PM BST
Thanks Pot M,its good to know he stamps them,yes I have seen the website,did you use him this year?5.5k asking but feel sure he could be got for less, did you get a deal?is SS a good walker,as I said above I'm looking for a cheap filly that can go to DBS next year,is he the sort you would use again?The reason I ask if I send a couple to Showcasing I might have one for him as well.......3rd season must be cheap.
Report imagele October 26, 2010 9:41 PM BST
PM - what is the Sakhee thing - is this a specific issue?

Have seen a few foals from SS and they were lovely - slight concern that he has quite an exaggerated movement behind.  A friend of mine has a beautiful filly by him - he has high hopes for her.

But didn't SS have soundness issues? These may have been because he is quite heavy topped - he was so exciting originally but didn't really live up to the potential.  But the quality of his foals is good and he seems to put his stamp them across a variety of different mares.
Report potentialmillionaire October 26, 2010 9:57 PM BST
It's a bit complicated Prima! However I think there would definitely be deals available.

It might pay to book before the foal sales though if the foals were as nice as they looked in the spring, for the best possible deal. I think though that by hook or by crook I would want to be fully familiar with these 1st crop foals before recommending him 3rd season. not beyond the realms though.

Any news on Showcasing terms yet? Indeed is any b****er going to release any stud fees for 2011?
Report Prima Donna October 26, 2010 10:26 PM BST
Showcasing 5k Pot'M. Though there was a deal avaliable [;)] Do you like him? Is he on your list?

Indeed is any b****er going to release any stud fees for 2011?
Perhaps they are still hiding out in the nuclear bunker as word is out that a madman is going to nuke the stallion masters who set their fees too high!
They all seem to be sitting on the fence and tiptoeing around not daring to show their hand first with the new sires. How low do they pitch, don't want to be seen to be going in to low if everyone else is still burying their heads but don't want to look too stupidly high if others are more realistic.
Showcasing will be commercial, as for Zebedee they need to get real at 6k.
Report potentialmillionaire October 27, 2010 7:16 PM BST
Imagele. I know of no specific Sakhee issues, other than a low profile, non 2yo, career that leaves him a no go commercially.

Prima I am deeply upset [;)] I've a simple little red button at my disposal and you are inferring I'm a madman? I'm the sane one it's the mad feckers in charge of the stallions that are gonna get it Laugh

As elsewhere, Approve is another to cloud to the issue as I would like these 2yo only new sires to be a little more distinguishable than they are going to be in 2 years time.

I am still keen on Showcasing though as I think he has the pedigree and I suspect the looks over the other 3 (I forgot Arcano in my other post). Sadly it looks like I will be playing almost exclusively at that level so I've got to convince myself. . .
Report neill d October 27, 2010 8:24 PM BST
Has Approve gone to stud as well?
Report neill d October 27, 2010 8:27 PM BST
Sorry, just saw on other thread he has
Report Prima Donna October 27, 2010 8:32 PM BST
"Sadly it looks like I will be playing almost exclusively at that level so I've got to convince myself. . ."

Ah but Pot'M, if you are canny then that level can be the most rewarding. Financial outlay is much less but with a nice individual (and a colt) then the returns can still be good. % wise the returns can be much greater. I think that people with mares that are maybe L winners or have bred L winners can all too often make the mistake of upping the coverings too dramatically. Remember it is always better to be 'the best mare in a lesser book than a lesser mare in a better book'. Once you get into 20k+ nominations you are playing with the big boys and sometimes can suffer as a result. The returns are not necessarily proportionate to the outlay/risk.

As for the 3 that you refer to I will admit that they are similar types. But for me Showcasing stands out as the best prospect, not on racecourse performance perhaps, though he did win his Gimcrack in record time and his form was amongst the best of his crop, but he has the one thing that really make a difference for a stallion and that is FAMILY. Showcasing has by far and away the best family of the 3 new OD sons and looks likely to have support from his breeders too which could prove very useful.
Another plus point for family connections is that they can keep the sires name up in lights with their own racecourse achievements. Remember a cheap horse I told you about named Multiplex?? His three parts brother is helping his profile and could help him even more next year. Picture Editor ring any bells?!

Don't try and talk yourself round to using cheaper sires, have the courage of your own convictions and be bold. Slick loves using cheap sires and one of her 'cheapies' won more than 1 GR 1.
Report potentialmillionaire October 27, 2010 10:19 PM BST
Prima,  I am beginning to have my suspicions that my identity is well known to you!

(Not really Laugh )

You have summed up where I have been, what I have tried and probably where I should be!
It's funny really because I have 6 times had the highest priced foal/yearling by a particular stallion - believe me a fact that's keeping me going right now! - and it is immensly satisfying, particularly having only 4 mares or so. Unless you are unfortunate enough to find yourself playing with an Emperor Jones/Unblest scenario you will always make money at the top of even quite a modest book.

I shall stay positive and enjoy the challenge. Thanks for that Cool
Report Prima Donna October 28, 2010 6:42 PM BST
Pot M,Sorry if I asked you this before but have you got a foal or an in-foal mare to SS?Do you know what he was trading at both last year and this year?I would be grateful for any help.Happy
Report potentialmillionaire October 28, 2010 8:01 PM BST
I cannot be too specific here Prima as a cursory glance at Return of Mares would unmask me!!

He moved very slightly in fee in year 1 but not to every one.

They dropped him for this year as you know, but he ended up ok for numbers.

My hunch is that there will be movement on the published fee for 2011 but the foal sales will determine that obviously.

Sorry to not be more help. I could throw another spanner in the works and say that I have a nom for 2011 available, you'd have to figure out a way for me to contact you though!
Report Prima Donna October 28, 2010 8:40 PM BST
Well thanks for that Pot M,I'm not trying to flush you out,but If we go and look at Showcasing we will see what deals for SS,just wanted some background insight into SS as I said above I've not taken to much notice of him before.BTW are you a shareholder or how else have you a 2011 nomination?
Report potentialmillionaire October 28, 2010 9:13 PM BST
It's complicated! But see how you get on if you go and see Showcasing. I will go and see him at some point too. His galloping shot is appealing, I've quite decided how I want him to look!
Report Prima Donna October 28, 2010 9:23 PM BST
When you see Showcasing, let me know what you think.I think he will be available for viewing at Whitsbury from Nov 1st
Report potentialmillionaire October 29, 2010 8:17 PM BST
I'm not likely to see the horse before the December sales, but will report in when done. Hopefully we will get some results of viewings of all the new horses by the posters on here.
That would be most interesting.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com