Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jay..b#
03 Oct 10 12:30
| Topic/replies: 834 | Blogger: jay..b#'s blog
that are 17.0 hands+. Struggling to find one at the moment...
Pause Switch to Standard View anyone know if there are any...
Show More
Report perrydinho October 3, 2010 12:55 PM BST
Dynaformer... if you have a spare $150,000 Grin
Report jay..b# October 3, 2010 1:15 PM BST
shuck, im not that rich! Laugh
Report potentialmillionaire October 3, 2010 3:34 PM BST
It's not necessarily something people shout about - not considered particularly desirable in this game!
My guess is that the Lucarno and Beat All types probably contain some 17 handers who were measured when standing in a dip in the yard [;)]
Report revedesivola October 3, 2010 10:48 PM BST
stowaway isnt that big but had a 18hh progeny called stowaway giant. try 18hh for size
Report Lairy Mary October 3, 2010 11:40 PM BST
Exit to Nowhere is pretty tall.
Report Prima Donna October 5, 2010 6:41 PM BST
Zamindar is about the biggest stallion covering atm officially 16.3hh but I bet he is more like 17hh,the market never wants gigantic horses,as a rule they are hard to keep sound.
Zamindar can get them big saying that mind we have a nice mare by him who is 15.3hh,so I suppose it depends on your mare,why on earth do you want such a tall stallion ?Is your mare a midget.
Report jay..b# October 6, 2010 12:29 PM BST
not looking to breed my horse just yet, she is only 2½ at the moment. She is sired by Reel Buddy and out of an unraced mare called Royal Future (consigned at Bearstone Stud). She will mature to around 16.2hh herself so is quite the opposite to a midget. Looking to breed a giant though one day!
Report Prima Donna October 6, 2010 12:49 PM BST
If you do breed one one day jay..b# and its massive then be fully aware you will be racing it yourself as doubt buyers will take on such a giant in the sale ring,if you do plan to sell then I would suggest you look for a stallion that is fast and strong that will compensate her minus points ie for a start her size,as I said above the markets don't go for that sort,as a rule of thumb far too big =backward with soundness issues later on,personally speaking I'd never use a gigantic stallion on a mare who herself is as you say 16.2hh.Not unless you want to keep it and call it Sefton!Grin
Report potentialmillionaire October 6, 2010 7:03 PM BST
Ditto I'm afraid jay..b#

Your offspring may have serious soundness issues and it certainly won't be of appeal in this game. If you fancy having a huge horse hanging around, go to the breeds where this is more appropriate and have been developed accordingly. The TB is not really suited.
Report RipVanWinkle October 6, 2010 10:11 PM BST
i saw a good few big ones out of teofilo at goffs and tatts
Report Prima Donna October 7, 2010 6:16 AM BST
Well Rip Van that's a good point,I too have seen some of his most tend to big tallish sorts, but when you think about Teofilo think about his size,then ask yourself why he did not go on after 2,the points above should give you the answer,in his case he was precocious but being a tall backward looking sort his precocity came at a very high price to himself.
Report jay..b# October 7, 2010 12:19 PM BST
For anyone who is interested I have found one stallion on the Racing Post Stallion Book which stands at 17.0hh, albeit his fee is a very tiny £500.

His name is Air Quest (sired by Rainbow Quest) and is a full brother to the 1990 Derby winner Quest For Fame. He stands at Swallows Oast Stud along with Boogie Street (always used to follow that horse myself)

http://swallowsoaststud.com/stallions1.html
Report Prima Donna October 7, 2010 12:57 PM BST
LaughLaughLaughNeed I say any-more!!!People who know my views about Rainbow Quest will know what I am laughing about,Unsoundness goes hand in hand with this stallion,using a 17.hh son of his will imo only result in one thing a horrendously gigantic backward boat who will be so unsound it will almost certainly never race,good luck if that's your plan,injury curtailed his career ask your self why?The answer won't be hard to work out jay..b#
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com