Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Prima Donna
01 Oct 10 10:21
| Topic/replies: 4,152 | Blogger: Prima Donna's blog
We have a few surprise barren mares this time,all scanned in foal at stud none have come back into heat but still no pregnancy,this spring was about the coldest wettest ever the mares seemingly did not cycle for ages is this a factor or just 'one of those things'how have you all got on with PD'ing?The plus side is we won't be spending so much this month!
Pause Switch to Standard View October 1st'any shocks or are they...
Show More
Report bucko68 October 1, 2010 12:36 PM BST
Excuse my ignorance Prima, PD'ing, what is that short for ?
Report Prima Donna October 1, 2010 12:56 PM BST
Its a term used by your vet for 'pregnancy diagnosis' when he or she tests to see if your mare is in foal or not if not she is then referred to as a 'barren'mare.
Report potentialmillionaire October 1, 2010 1:55 PM BST
Bad luck Prima. I suppose you have plenty of mares so it's a bit easier to be philosophical. But it is undoubtedly the most bitter of surprises in this game so full of them.

I haven't checked my maiden mare as she is quite light framed and looks good and proper so on consultation with the vet we decided to save a few quid. Hope I'm right!

The others were as expected. So I've got a juggle with exchange rates to look forward to.
Report Prima Donna October 1, 2010 3:01 PM BST
You have to be philosophical with horses now and again,just when you think you are there they pull the rug right out from under you don't they.
Its not the fate of the nation having a few barren's at the moment saying that mind that was not the plan,the most expensive thing on any stud is barren mares,we have enough to absorb the loss of a few foals.
That gave Slick the perfect excuse to buy another filly the other day.(to race)
Your maiden Pot M is she on live foal or Jan 1st?
Report potentialmillionaire October 1, 2010 3:14 PM BST
Plain old 1st Oct terms with a little known concern in Tipperary [;)]

So if it all goes T+ts up I don't actually know how helpful they are, but a young mare, I'm reasonably relaxed.

Congratulations on Slick spending some more of your hard earneds! Obviously discretion is all, but was it something that just caught your eye or is it a page you've particularly fancied?
Report Prima Donna October 1, 2010 3:19 PM BST
The filly Slick got has a full black type page and is by a first yearling sire that have sold very well as foals and yearlings,but she is NOT by Dubawi,she has a nice page so will (if all goes well)come back here later on to add to the list which seems to always get longer GrinOMG!
Report potentialmillionaire October 1, 2010 3:36 PM BST
But all power to Slick, she had the balls to chase Fergie all the way for Pat O's Dubawi filly.

I am sure her actual prize, the Windsor Knot filly, was much nicer anyway [;)]
Report Prima Donna October 1, 2010 4:37 PM BST
LaughYeah sure we got her...........I don't think so,the filly we got was on day 1 by a very good 2'old,imo it was plenty enough for her,but I am informed she will be a nice addition for later on....we shall see.As for Pat's filly if Slick had told me she had got her for that price my grey hair would of turned pure whiteGrin
Report bucko68 October 1, 2010 6:06 PM BST
Prima, after all the advice i gave you how could you go to a first season sire?[:o]
Report Prima Donna October 1, 2010 6:29 PM BST
Well bucko68,That's women for you,mind you she has been bought for later on to return to the stud,she has a nice page and being by a top flight 2'y old she has appeal even if her sire fails.
Report yer ma October 1, 2010 7:34 PM BST
Mine that had to be PD'd were fine.  I know % wise the rate of conceptions was considerably down in some big newmarket studs this year, cant come up with a theory though.  Brutal winter, volcanic ash, who knows.  I jest but commiserations PD I'd be gutted - not least given the performance of Acclamation at goffs.  Av must be +50k
Report potentialmillionaire October 1, 2010 8:07 PM BST
Ah ha. Yer ma and Prima Donna, you appear to have a life (link) outside this forum. . .

If I am right then your filly did look a little pricey Prima, but better to pay a premium on top of the pedigree for a good individual I think every time.

I wonder if I am, but you knew I'd have a look didn't you! Don't worry though, I'm not nerdy enough to follow it into training. Grin
Report Prima Donna October 1, 2010 8:15 PM BST
Pot M,please explain Confused
Report yer ma October 1, 2010 9:20 PM BST
I've no idea who anyone is and if I'm honest I'm not too interested in finding out, I leave the relationship building to my prettier half. I was just alluding to having (touch wood) some nice Acclamations to sell in the future and sympathy for having barren mares / lost foals.
Report Prima Donna October 1, 2010 9:45 PM BST
Well thanks yer ma,the barren mares well that's just one of those things we shall be back next year,it happens as you know,good luck with your Acclamations there sure did sell well this week,talking of volcanic ash I was flying back from the US earlier this year it was touch and go as to if I could get back ash everywhere but we did make it,woulden't it of been tragic for this forum if the plane had gone down with me on board!Grin
Report potentialmillionaire October 1, 2010 10:01 PM BST
Apologies for jumping to conclusions gentlemen. It just seems, particularly now knowing you have absolutely no Knowledge of each other whatsoever atall, that the Acclamation comment suggested otherwise.

May I reserve judgement on the potential plane disaster Prima? Untill I've studied the passenger list thoroughly and found out whether there were any noted bloodstock agents on board. . . Grin
Report Prima Donna October 1, 2010 10:09 PM BST
Well Pot M no I have no idea who yer ma is or you for that matter,and what do you mean study the passenger list to see if any noted bloodstock agents were on board! Are you saying it would be fine for the plane to go down with me (don't answer that)Laugh
Report pimm October 2, 2010 12:05 PM BST
my medicean mare is in foal its her first!and my first in the breeding game, so excited.!
Report potentialmillionaire October 2, 2010 2:21 PM BST
No, I had no reason to want you to plummet to earth Prima, but I did have a wonder if you could be sacrificed if there was a chance of wiping out a great tranche of agents at once. . .Laugh

Well done Pimm. We do this game for the dreaming and I'm glad to see you've bought into that!
Report Prima Donna October 2, 2010 6:00 PM BST
Well in future Pot M I will steer well clear of getting on the same airplane as John Warren and your old chum Peter Doyle,love them as I know you do![;)]
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com