Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Jwr1979
24 Sep 10 20:07
| Topic/replies: 19 | Blogger: Jwr1979's blog
Given the tension between both camps and the drive of both parties to purchase the top yearlings year on year, why if you had a decent broodmare would you not be dealing with a stallion from a.n. other breeding operation? Is there not a market for well breed top end yearlings which could aim to pitch the two major bodies against each other?. I appreciate this is a very small niche but given the figures that these guys can & will spend is it not worth considering?
Pause Switch to Standard View Coolmore v Darley
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire September 24, 2010 9:45 PM BST
If you want to tap the Darley versus Coolmore seam you've got to have a pretty impeccable package. They rarely go head to head these days.

If you have a suitably credentialled mare most breeders will try to do the right thing by the mare and when you actually come down to a suitable mating the selection actually ends up quite limited.

If your shortlist contains 3 stallions, one D., one C. and one independent then perhaps you would choose the independent.

In reality there are so many ifs, buts and whatevers that while we've all given much thought to your hypothesis over the years, it's rarely that straightforward. Happy
Report Prima Donna September 26, 2010 9:43 AM BST
Is there not a market for well breed top end yearlings which could aim to pitch the two major bodies against each other?.

That's a good question, Possibley,If your talking about the European market then perhaps Oasis Dream who as you I'm sure know is red hot and then Sea the Stars being such a outstanding runner coupled with the fact he has a great pedigree his stock are sure to be in demand from both camps along with all the top buyers.
Coolmore have in a way put themselves into a corner to a degree relying so much on Danehill and Sadlers Wells,Darley up till now have never hit the heights with standing a great sire but it does take time and atm they look like they have pulled it off with certainly Dubawi and poss' Shamardal,Lot's of breeders have used Pivotal thinking that he is going to appeal to both camps imo I doubt this will work as though people think Pivotal is a great sire imo he is good but not as good as lots seem to think he gets very few good 2'y olds but we shall see.
I think one big difference between them is Darley tend to look at it from a racing perspective standing stallions that perhaps are not such good individuals conformationally Ravens Pass as an example but all the time being great runners,Coolmore tend to look for sires that are the sort that should get 2,old's giving breeders nice looking well bred stock that hopefully sell well,they are much more commercially minded.
I don't know but this year I reckon stallions who will be hot on top buyers lists will be Galileo,Oasis Dream,Dubawi,Dansili then Danehill Dancer,Shamardal,Pivotal followed by Montjeu,both camps will undoubtedly support their own sires but maybe the tide is turning we keep hearing we need other bloodlines now we might have real commercial choices it does make a change,we have used a few Darley stallion but the way its going we might use a few more,Dubawi will be on the list next year,we all have to look forward in this game know one can afford to stand still the markets never will that's for sure.
Report potentialmillionaire September 26, 2010 3:24 PM BST
It will be interesting to see how involved Coolmore get with Dubawi. They have never actually boycotted Maktoum sired progeny, but having not seen too many sires that fit their brief and relationships having been a little strained it's been pretty easy for them to steer clear nearly all the time.

As Prima Donna says though, they are in now in a corner. If they had lifted their heads out of the sand a little earlier then perhaps they wouldn't now find themselves shelling out millions for a son of Tagula, because let's be honest which one of us really feels that's the way to go long term?

Dubawi seems to be a hell of a likely 'avenue' right now as his success with Danzig line mares is pretty peachy. Is it one road they'll need to turn down?
Report GANT007 September 26, 2010 5:18 PM BST
Sea the stars stock will bring the 2 head to head..........
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com