Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Colonel Sanders
16 Sep 10 23:29
| Topic/replies: 251 | Blogger: Colonel Sanders's blog
Not a breeding expert but found this interesting:

From the racingpost:

Lot 1183 - A rarity indeed. Demi O'Byrne  pays $435,000 for a son of Darley US sire Street Cry.
Pause Switch to Standard View Demi O'Byrne signs for son of Street Cry
Show More
Report Shark12 September 16, 2010 11:54 PM BST
Very interesting, perhaps Coolmore are worried about a Darley resurgence?
Report mr_sykes September 17, 2010 2:44 AM BST
loose change to the boys from Tipp,prob having a bitta fun on the back of the hurlers winning the All Ireland.....
Report jmc27 September 17, 2010 5:10 PM BST
It was a son of Street Sense, I think the highest one of his offspring has reached at the sales.
Both Scat Daddy and Circular Quay who raced in Tabors colours were destroyed by Street Sense so maybe this purchase reminded them of the sire.
Report The Gotchee September 17, 2010 10:25 PM BST
He buys a lot of duds. He is very over rated.
Report Prima Donna September 17, 2010 10:39 PM BST
Same goes for the great John Ferguson now he is VERY overrated!
Report bucko68 September 17, 2010 11:26 PM BST
Mr Sykes, Magnier is a North Cork man,as was Dr Vincent before him and O Brien a Wexford man,so Tip winning the Hurling wouldnt go to their heads,now Sundays All Ireland thats a different story,Up the Langers.
Report jmc27 September 17, 2010 11:43 PM BST
The Gotchee Joined: 19 Aug 06
Replies: 449 17 Sep 10 22:25 
He buys a lot of duds. He is very over rated.

LOL wtf!! and you are?
Report ardentlovers September 18, 2010 11:09 AM BST
So Gotchee, please enlighten us to what you have purchased.................
Report Prima Donna September 18, 2010 6:29 PM BST
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on any public chat forum this one being no exception,the Gotchee holds that view so we accept his opinion,none of us mind our duty bound to agree with anything posted on here.
Report ardentlovers September 18, 2010 7:31 PM BST
That is correct Prima Donna.  Please Gotchee, i am waiting, what have you purchased that is worthy of? Then we can pass our opinion on YOU! Or perhaps Demi O,Byrne would like to............... now that would be an opinion worth listening to.
Report potentialmillionaire September 18, 2010 8:18 PM BST
Demi and Johnnie both purchase a lot of horses and therefore will both purchase a lot of duds.
Add into the mix their support of their own stallions and the politics that that involves, then I haven't got a clue how you start to evaluate their worth.

And my, hasn't that worked on behalf of ALL agents over the years!
Report imagele September 18, 2010 10:07 PM BST
Interesting - who do you think has the best eye for a horse?  Julie Wood seems to be buying well but not sure how many she buys that don't make it to the course?  Some trainers seem to have the same amount to spend but just don't seem to be as successful in picking out a good one.  Are there agents or trainers that just seem better than others at dong this?
Report The Gotchee September 18, 2010 10:28 PM BST
ardentlovers, I was just making an observation. Why does my comment upset you so much? If you care to do some research you will find I am correct. I can produce the facts for you. Cool
Report RipVanWinkle September 19, 2010 2:00 AM BST
I think Demi and John O'byrne are the two best buyers around. I dont think that the Doyles are as good as people make out (even if they've purchased from us Laugh) John Ferguson is not for me and John Warren is a clown
Report mr_sykes September 19, 2010 7:38 AM BST
it was merely tongue in cheek Bucko but yeah good luck to the Rebels today,they have been knocking on the door the last few years,today is as good a chance as any....
Report potentialmillionaire September 19, 2010 7:18 PM BST
Hannon has the final say over what goes into his yard from the sales and whilst he might acknowledge the traipsing round done by others I think he really knows what suits his set up and that makes him a terrific judge in my eyes.
J.W. Where to begin. Casting all matters of personal taste aside, given he is a small numbers buyer, do we not have to acknowledge he gets more than his share of good horses to purchases?
Ferguson's purchases for Mollers racing were sensational. The numbers game doesn't come as easy to him (or others perhaps) though.
Report GANT007 September 19, 2010 11:15 PM BST
What about Frank Barrys record buying for K Prendergast.......
Report Prima Donna September 20, 2010 6:54 AM BST
You could say reading this thread that one thing stands out a mile..............Its very hard to consistently go to the yearling sales and find and buy top class horses,all of the major ingredients can go into the pot time and time again nothing comes of it because 90% of all horses are nothing more than just average at best,hence why so many expensive yearlings fail to live up to expectations,the list is endless from both main camps along with all the others.
Report Black Sam Bellamy September 20, 2010 12:46 PM BST
I think the original essense of the thread has been lost somewhat - I think there's certainly some significance to Demi Byrne spending £440k for a Street Cry, but then he did spend £3million buying a son of Elusive Quality, Dunkirk a few years back.

As for John Ferguson, I'm amazed he's still given the authority to spend big when you look at some of his highest profile flops;

Meydan City - $11.7m
Jalil - $9.7
Plavius - $9.2m

Are these horses being bought for the column inches or to win Group races ?
Report neill d September 20, 2010 1:32 PM BST
The Green Monkey, discuss
Report The Gotchee September 20, 2010 3:03 PM BST
The Green Monkey  was one of the reasons for my original post. The purchase of The Green Monkey (16 million US Dollars) is widely regarded as the most expensive flop ever. To make matters even more embarassing this horse was bought whilst in training. Cry I am sure ardentlovers and jmc27 will be able to explain the reason for this catastrophic faux pas?Grin
Report DMCK September 20, 2010 8:01 PM BST
no doubt GM a serious flop but it was the height of the bloodstock boom, and it was Coolmore v Dubai, which kind of explains why it went so high, it really turned into a who had the bigger pecker. From memory GM had training setbacks and just wasnt very game to race. the reason he set such a price was to to his breezing time which was phenominal!
Read something about where GM is now a good while ago, he is at a small stud but coolmore retain an interest, is said to have nice foals and had a few black types in his book.
Report jmc27 September 20, 2010 9:15 PM BST
The Gotchee     Joined: 19 Aug 06
Replies: 454 20 Sep 10 15:03 
The Green Monkey  was one of the reasons for my original post. The purchase of The Green Monkey (16 million US Dollars) is widely regarded as the most expensive flop ever. To make matters even more embarassing this horse was bought whilst in training.  I am sure ardentlovers and jmc27 will be able to explain the reason for this catastrophic faux pas?

Eh easy it breezed a furlong in 9.8 anyway your argument is based on one horse a horse that fooled a lot that day. Even if its based on hundreds of horses 30000 live foals are born in the USA only one wins the Kentucky Derby which btw one of OByrne's purchases Thunder Gulch did, if a horse breezes like that plenty are going to throw their hat into the ring.
The ridiculous price well you dont have to be Einstein to figure out how that came about especially at the height of the "feud"!   

Its funny that someone would try knock a person that has purchased countless Classic and Group 1 winners and is a key cog in one of the worlds biggest and most successful breeding/racing operations, I just cant get my head around that way of thinking I suppose its the bloodstock forums version of slating McCoy or Moore.
Reading some of your comments on Coolmore on this forum it definitely points to some grudge you have.

Anyway if it was easy as ever horse you bought went on to win a race nevermind classics well I dont think either of us Gotchee would be sitting here typing this.

On another note BSB Street Sense is the sire and Dunkirk was by Elusive Quality he is by Unbridled Song hence his delicateness.

One last point Ferguson has bought some good horses imo but have they been trained well [;)]
Report jmc27 September 20, 2010 9:17 PM BST
#Sorry that should have read he wasnt by Elusive Quality.
Report jonnyrotten September 20, 2010 9:32 PM BST
if i know the irish mafia as well as i think they will have bought at least half gm prior to sale Laugh
Report The Gotchee September 21, 2010 12:03 AM BST
Thanks for the reply jmc27.  I see you are firmly in the Coolmore camp. My argument is not based on one horse, it is based on several. I did not get on here to knock anyone, I just made an observation which is  based totally on facts. There is no disputing the success the Coolmore operation has achieved over the past number of years but it is the route taken and the techniques employed in getting their success that  doesn't sit too well with a lot of people in the bloodstock industry. There is no great skill in buying graded performers when you have an open cheque book. Happy
Report yer ma September 21, 2010 1:15 PM BST
This thread seems more Green eyed than green monkey to me.  I've little love for grumpy demi and the lads but they've a plan and they stick to it.  He knows a good horse and he rejects plenty for flaws many wouldnt see.  These guys play in a different league to virtually everyone else - I wouldnt know all the rules so cant see how I can form a strong view.
Report JSB September 21, 2010 3:09 PM BST
From what I see the whole game is nearly over now anyway.Stallion fees will come down again for next season which means cheaper foals,cheaper yearlings and stallions will not be as valuable.This is what the arabs set out to do in their war with Coolmore.Trainers will now have to follow aswell and do the same.
Report jmc27 October 6, 2010 5:15 PM BST
Underbidder to Shadwell for the Nayef half-brother to Fantasia
Report The Gotchee October 6, 2010 10:35 PM BST
Groundbreaking news. I havn't been so shocked since I read that People spend about two weeks of their lives at traffic lights!
Report heynoodles October 6, 2010 11:22 PM BST
Thought Ferguson was usually acting under orders, imo. And as for the Green Monkey were there no underbidders?[;)]
Report jmc27 October 6, 2010 11:22 PM BST
The Gotchee Joined: 19 Aug 06
Replies: 493 06 Oct 10 22:35 
Groundbreaking news. I havn't been so shocked since I read that People spend about two weeks of their lives at traffic lights!

:Tumbleweed:
Report Meghaduta October 7, 2010 8:09 AM BST
There is a video on youtube of this horse breezing. He did the furlong in 9.4, but thats was not what impressed. He is just fantastically balanced! If someone saw only the top half they would think he's not moving.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com