Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
bucko68
04 Sep 10 14:24
| Topic/replies: 81 | Blogger: bucko68's blog
Hi Guys any advice on the above,will go in to training for a syndicate,Filly adviseable ? Have a trainer, so he will have a big say,First time buyin a flat horse, all NH before this,told never better value out there, what are views on Tatts yearling sale,PotM, Ripvan, lairy mary, looking forward to yer views,i know i hav left a few  active forum members out, havent time to name ye all, so please feel free to reply,Thanks
Pause Switch to Standard View Looking At Buying A Yearling 25K To...
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire September 4, 2010 3:24 PM BST
If you steer clear of high fashion bucko, you will be able to buy a rather nice filly on your budget. Also plenty of servicable colts will be floating about at that level.
If you can think of a way of keeping my identity secret on here I would be very happy to steer you to one of my yearlings who is ofcourse quite the nicest you will find Grin

The advice on another post to go proven sire/proven mare is great advice, although I don't think you need to go for some of the type of stallions who were mentioned there as they were a bit grim. You can concentrate on stallions that do the job regularly.

If you have a look at the lists of monthly winners on here then you will see a good place to start as the likes of Kyllachy have a ton of affordable yearlings go through every year and a ton of winners to match.

Another thing I would look at is when you've decided whether you need quick results or a certain type of distance horse for instance, pick your stallions accordingly and try to pick a dam with matching aptitude. If they are compatible then that's always more harmonious isn't it!
Report bucko68 September 4, 2010 3:42 PM BST
Thanks PM,would like to chat to you some time, I mentioned a fill
y, but it will probably be a colt,and as Miss Keeler said to Mr Profumo,yor identity will not be disclosed.
Report potentialmillionaire September 4, 2010 3:58 PM BST
Listen, I'm not taking my clothes off and sitting on that chair for anyone Laugh
Report RipVanWinkle September 4, 2010 6:16 PM BST
Always look for a nice dam line it is what usually prevails. Are you looking for a yearling that will be good at 2 or 3 ? You should try and stay clear of young sires if you can cause there usually very hard to buy and are usually rubbish. You should also look at the broodmare sire to as this can help find a good hardy horse. Have you been talking to any agents?
Report bucko68 September 4, 2010 6:56 PM BST
Not talking to any agents yet, early stages, but could purchase this month,not really given any thought to the "GOOD AT 2 0R 3" factor.Any other sales apart from Tatts,that you would recommend for yearlings,
Thanks guys,
Report RipVanWinkle September 4, 2010 7:51 PM BST
I think that there is more value at Goffs thats my personal opinion. Tatts can be very high class and with you budget you will find it very hard to get anything at book 1.
Report Commander In Chief September 9, 2010 3:03 PM BST
Bucko68, Great to hear that you are venturing into the Flat Market, we need as many new owners as possible to keep the great game alive.  I believe that there will be plenty of value to be found this year and with a budget of £25k you will be able to pick up a very nice yearling IF you do all your homework. 

Firstly, you must decide exactly what type of yearling you are after, a precocious two year old or a scopey three year old with potential to sell on to a second market. 

At the £20-40k market I believe that your best bet is to plump for a colt.  However, saying that the buying market for yearling fillies will be patchy and you might have a better chance of picking up a bargain.  It is down to personal preference.

I agree with Potentialmillionaire that you should go down the proven sire route with your first purchase.  However, I don't personally feel that a proven mare is essential, as long as she comes from a successful family and the individual is correct & athletic. 

I personally would be more forgiving on conformation as long as the individual is well balanced and athletic.  Your trainer will undoubtedly advise against any conformational faults he is not willing to accept.

With regard to suitable sales, RipVanWinkle might well be right to suggest that there will be more value at Goffs this year.  However there are 1719 yearlings entered in Tatts 1 and 2, so I am sure there will be bargains to be found at both venues.   I would side with Tattersalls for a few reasons, notably transport (I am assuming you will have your yearling trained in England) and secondly, the canniness of Vendors.  Goffs was a poor sale for vendors last year and it has a feel of a sinking ship, many Irish Vendors I know will be sending ALL of their better horses to Tattersalls leaving the mediocre for Goffs. 

Although not a regular poster on this forum I would be happy to sit down with you at some point to help guide you in the right direction.  The very best of luck with your new venture.
Report sageform September 9, 2010 4:54 PM BST
Captain Rio and Monsieur Bond are sons of Pivotal and Danehill Dancer who are steadily improving their number of winners. If I was in your position I would look for a nice sort from a decent female line by one of those.
Report bucko68 September 9, 2010 10:10 PM BST
Thanks guys,we are based in Eire and horse will be trained here,The yearling we hope will be ready to run as a 2 year old, (we hope) as we are a syndicate,and time can be an issue when there is a few guys involved,Commander my email is buck2601@gmail.com,if you want to discuss this further,
Thanks again.
Report bucko68 September 20, 2010 1:50 PM BST
Well guys 24 hours to go and we are heading to Tatts to buy a yearling, a future Group 1 winner hopefullyBlush[:blush,gone blind looking at the catalogue,but fingers crossed and a bit of luck you never know,Thanks for yer posts on this subject.
Report potentialmillionaire September 20, 2010 6:58 PM BST
Have a great time Bucko, keep your wits about you and enjoy it, the procurement is half the fun.
Hold your nerve though as there are PLENTY of fish in the sea and it's a long sales season, no need to get anything done too quickly.
Report Lairy Mary September 21, 2010 12:49 PM BST
Ditto what PM says - I have emailed you - hope you get it! Sorry not around recently and missed this!
Report yer ma September 21, 2010 8:07 PM BST
You should be a Tatts Ireland, buy 5 and have your own personal breeze up to decide which one to race.  Wheres notenough to tell me the middle market is being held up by the RP scheme. Should be a £10k bonus for vendors who sell all their stock at over the cover fees :)
Report sageform September 22, 2010 10:20 AM BST
Did anyone have a look at lots 141 and 255? Both not sold. 141 by Capt Rio out of a Danehill Dancer mare. £8k looks cheap on paper.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com