Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Prima Donna
21 Jun 10 22:11
| Topic/replies: 4,152 | Blogger: Prima Donna's blog
With the recent successes of Dansili offspring and the promise of more to come as his better bred stock hit the track where is Delegator?

Languishing in a Godolphin stable I suspect, when he should really be in the covering barn.

A decent enough runner and nice looking individual, he also boasts a faster pedigree than the other Dansili sons already at stud. Rail Link is never really going to get likely 2yo types and Strategic Prince, though a decent 2yo himself is from a very stout family. Delegator's dam is a full sister to Tomba and by speed influence Efisio. Surely this would be an ideal cheap new and fashionable horse to have retired to stud last year? Darley have missed a trick (again!) I am sure Coolmore would not still have him in the training ranks. Remember Antonius Pius? Not a Gr 1 winner but a high enough profile (not necessarily  for all the right reasons but that is where marketing comes into it's own) and by Danzig. Covered plenty of mares and made them lots of money I am sure. Who did they retire last year that would have filled the slot Delegator fitted? I fear he is to become yet another promising Godolphin horse to add to the 'missing' list.
Show More
Report neill d June 21, 2010 10:43 PM BST
Don't know what they are doing with him, the softest group races are usually in the early part of the year.
Report A_T June 21, 2010 10:52 PM BST
Probably trying to aim him at next year's Dubai WC the biggest race in the word which noone but the Maktoums are interested in.
Report RipVanWinkle June 21, 2010 10:52 PM BST
He's being kept in training to long. They always do this they are right in a way to give the horse every chance to succeed on the track but by the time it comes to retire him there forgot of. It will happen with Cavlaryman and Desert Party places at stud could easily have been found for either
Report potentialmillionaire June 21, 2010 11:01 PM BST
PD You know as well as I do that Darley and Coolmore will never be singing from quite the same hymn sheet. Darley like their worldwide stable and their international runners. If there is a chance that Delegator can still run with credit for them then they should go for it.
I do agree though that that sort of campaigning does leave them with plenty of horses that could have done a commercial job at stud.
But actually, the more I think about it, all power to Darley. What exactly does 'cheap speed' add to the good of the breed, by and large. A few pockets lined (in Tipperary) and a heap of useless horses to fuel our overproduction! It's not usually the place to go looking for a top class stallion is it. (Do not reply, P & DD please, there are always exceptions!)
Report Slick'N'Smooth June 21, 2010 11:03 PM BST
This topic of conversation seems a little familiar....................! In fact I see that several of my thoughts have been re-hashed on here lately Happy

But maybe some research needed Prima Donna, Grin Delegator entered in the Sussex.
Report potentialmillionaire June 21, 2010 11:07 PM BST
You've got to get him under control Slick, either that or get yourself a good lawyer and patent your ideasLaugh
Report Prima Donna June 21, 2010 11:18 PM BST
If there is a chance that Delegator can still run with credit for them then they should go for it.

Well thats just it with them,they always leave it to late,I doubt he will improve with that lot,I'm sure he would appeal being by Dansili with his pedigree,'cheap speed' always has a market.
Report Prima Donna June 22, 2010 5:34 AM BST
Next year lots of smaller breeders will use stallions like for example Main Aim,who they think will be commercial being by Oasis Dream who is on fire at the moment,Delegator being by Dansili who also at the moment is doing well couple that with his attractive pedigree,and his form I'm sure plenty of smaller breeders would use a horse like him,can't remember which thread it was on the other day but someone was pointing out something I'd said about the way Darley do business,This horse is a prime example of NOT capitalising on the current popularity of Dansili,having this horse in the Darley 'Tardis' won't help his chances later on if and when they do stand him.
Report RipVanWinkle June 22, 2010 2:35 PM BST
People could start using sons of Oasis Dream to much and lose out thats something that needs to be watched. I think you will have to use a good son of Oasis Dream as there'll be a couple average ones.
Report potentialmillionaire June 22, 2010 8:15 PM BST
Without doubt, PD, they should capitalise on a lot of their horses earlier if they want to benefit from their assets at their commercial peak.
But, they don't worry much about that aspect, so let them get on with it I say.
With their funds, they'll always find enough horses to retire each year.
There aren't many places a breeder can go to find real value particularly when trying to breed a racehorse as opposed to purely a sales horse. Darley's satellite based talented potential sire that is tainted by 'circumstance' is going to represent great value compared to his 'max enhanced' trendy cousin whose pedigree and talent are pretty damn similar'
Obviously as discussed previously, commercial considerations are a different kettle of fish all together!
Report Prima Donna June 22, 2010 10:23 PM BST
RipVanWinkle     22 Jun 10 14:35 
People could start using sons of Oasis Dream to much and lose out thats something that needs to be watched.

I think sons of Oasis Dream will be commercial until his first sons have runners,the likes of Aqlaam Captain Gerrard and Main Aim may do for his credentials as a sire of sires the same as early sons of Danehill Dancer,though these horses were not conceived at such low fees as the early Danehill Dancers were.
None of those 3 would really be expected to hit the heights as long term successful stallions.
Report potentialmillionaire June 23, 2010 8:06 PM BST
Mind you PD as we've discussed before, the way they piled into Aqlaam this year, you'd have thought the new Danzig was standing at Shadwell!
But those wise old gits (us) got the last laugh - until that is our next choice deals the same sub standard ammo!
Report Prima Donna June 23, 2010 8:40 PM BST
Pot M.This game as you know is a touch like playing Russian roulette, fortunately we have always managed to pull the trigger with the unloaded barrel,but I know that day can and may come sooner than we think,like most studs we regularly assess are mares which almost all of them have strong pedigrees.
That is except for one thats my own mare who is very much imo the best (Slick hates her)she would call her our sub standard ammo and always is placed first on the list to go,but she also knows she will always live here and can enjoy her time living with Slicks mares,btw to add fuel to the fire she is barren this year LaughSlick loves her even more now!
Report potentialmillionaire June 23, 2010 9:35 PM BST
Interestingly my old favourite mare is barren too this year, and it could be retirement beckoning. It's been a crap stud season all round here, but I often find that the year on the track is a good one following a bad start.
A nice breeders prize and a few winners already but I'm looking for some serious page freshening to compensate!
I'm sure your 'best' mare has a top stakes horse due this year, after all what does Mrs Smooth know about it anyway [;)]
Report Slick'N'Smooth June 23, 2010 10:09 PM BST
Mrs Smooth knows that that mare is wildly un-commercial! But it is his mare, his money and he pays the training fees for her resultant foals so what can I do?! The rose-tinted glasses remain firmly in place.

However, what the Prima Donna doesn't know is that I am thinking of booking her to Firebreak next season. Happy and I shall counter his arguments with handy quotes copy and pasted from his replies on the Firebreak thread................

As for Aqlaam, I am pleased I stuck to my guns regarding stallions with Rainbow Quest. I will admit to having a 'wobble' after hearing how enthusiastic many people were(and people who *count* not just gossips) but I backed my own judgement and I am now breathing a sigh of relief! I have sent a mare to Captain Gerrard though, I thought this horse was a likely type to get 2yo's which Aqlaam isn't. We shall see.

I am not so certain that Delegator would be a rip-roaring success. He does have Dansili going for him and there is speed in the dams side. However, I think a cloud has been cast over his racing career and he may just always be viewed as a 'maybe' horse. Could be dangerous come sales ring time.
Report Prima Donna June 24, 2010 8:14 PM BST
potentialmillionaire     23 Jun 10 21:35 
Interestingly my old favourite mare is barren too this year, and it could be retirement beckoning. It's been a crap stud season all round here

Pot M ,what's been the problem?Have your mares not cycled as they should? some of ours took ages this year to come into heat,and then take ages to go off,my own mare (the one above)was covered on 3 heats got in-foal each time only to loose the foal at 28 days,it was a horrible late spring the grass is growing now but it did take a long time.
but with the runners they are doing okay so that's something.
Will you replace some mares this year?
Report potentialmillionaire June 24, 2010 10:21 PM BST
P D
I only keep a few mares so it does feel worse when any of them misbehave, and I think it was a testing year for many wasn't it. A 5yo Maiden foaling in January and deciding not to play ball until May did not amuse, and an old girl no more difficult than usual but 3 jumps later no dice.
A young and dead easy mare just declined to get in foal!
You know how it goes!!
Mind you, I think yours takes the biscuit - 3 pregnancies in one stud season, jeez that is a bummer.
I really could do with a new mare, but having no sure things floating around to sell. . .  well things are tricky for a lot more folks than just me aren't they!

Mrs S, yes I'm with you on Delegator, he'd need a higher profile for me I think.                                You've got me thinking though and I'm working overtime on a stallion for the wondermare. Looking for something inbred to Singspiel with a German slant perhaps, I'm all for creating a bit of frission over the breakfast tableLaugh
Report RipVanWinkle June 24, 2010 11:49 PM BST
PD theres mares all over losing foals thank god it has happened to us this year but we've had a couple that wont come into season and we've tried everything with them. I think the best thing is Regumate and just tease then with our own horse.

What stallion did she keep slipping to? Might not be the mares fault, are you sure she was infoal
Report Prima Donna June 25, 2010 1:06 PM BST
Rip Van,The mare went to one of the cheaper Coolmore sires,I think it is just one of those things she has had a few on the bounce,so has given herself a year off,yes she was definitely in-foal as I saw the scan result,like Pot Ms mare this one foaled back in Jan but I have a very nice foal at foot,so he may later on go to Richard Hannon or Tracey Collins,I had the mare with another well known trainer here in Ireland a good 2'y old trainer his apprentice rode her and gave her the hiding off her life,that ride p issed me right off,that mare was neighing in the enclosure after the race,needless to say he NEVER rode for me again Plain,that's why she is permanently going to stay here,winning races is great but not at that cost to her I never forgot it,that's why she is my pet I feel I owe her  a nice life. Happy
Report neill d June 25, 2010 3:58 PM BST
Imagine how differently w'ed all think adout a horse like Delegator were it not for STS, he'd have a high enough profile, he'd be a guineas winner with future gr1 winners Rip, Mastercraftsman and Lord Shanakill in behind
Report potentialmillionaire June 25, 2010 8:31 PM BST
Crazy isn't it Neil d, a miss is as good as a mile. Pretty similar at the sales when a 'nice' prospect just isn't good enough.
Report Gimcrack August 16, 2010 9:03 PM BST
Mid-July and still no sign of Delegator? Anyone heard any news on this boy. He's one I would be really interested using at stud if he came in at the right price.
Report Black Sam Bellamy August 16, 2010 10:36 PM BST
Gimcrack - go on Godolphin.com and email them. I have done this in the past and you will get a prompt reply.

"This horse is a prime example of NOT capitalising on the current popularity of Dansili,having this horse in the Darley 'Tardis' won't help his chances later on if and when they do stand him".

Prima Donna - Sorry can't agree with this. Dansili isn't going anywhere and Delegator is a 4YO, who in six months time could have won the QE2 (entered) and the Breeders Cup Mile. Why retire him now when he could achieve plenty more as a 4YO ?
Report Prima Donna August 22, 2010 8:55 PM BST
Well Black Sam,they have done his commercialness no good in never running him who are we talking about.........Grin..........I forgot him along with about 90% of breeders,its all very well having classy entries but you need to back that up at some time with a run,but I agree to a point but the way its going he might make a nice 5 y'old or even a new one at the Darley rehoming stable never to be seen again,I wont hold my breath just yet.
But if they have any nouse they will get him out soon and if he wins a good race off to stud ready for next year being by Dansili from a fast family he should appeal but they are the sort who will go on next year wrecking any hope of ever being commercial,if you take both Dubawi and Shamardal they had enough sense to retire at 3 after good wins when their success was still fresh in the minds of breeders not some long lost memory.
Report neill d August 23, 2010 3:31 PM BST
If he's not in the Celebration mile he should be.
Report Prima Donna September 15, 2010 12:30 PM BST
Oh my god he has returned from the Goldolphin tardis!!!Runs on Friday listed Dubai Duty Free Cup,a long way from this imo

Black Sam Bellamy     16 Aug 10 22:36 

Prima Donna - Sorry can't agree with this. Dansili isn't going anywhere and Delegator is a 4YO, who in six months time could have won the QE2 (entered)
Report Shark12 September 16, 2010 11:57 PM BST
According to Simon Crisford has been held up by warts on his rear end which has hindered their efforts to train him so far this year....and is likely to come on for the run. Make of that what you will.
Report sageform September 17, 2010 10:54 AM BST
Should run well with the stable in form but I fancy Awzaan to beat him today with a good recent run behind him.
Report Prima Donna September 17, 2010 12:17 PM BST
Looks a pretty good race in a way,Awzaan has had a run but I'm not so sure it was a good run last time not so sure he has trained on myself.
Report sageform September 17, 2010 1:22 PM BST
A lot of better judges than me thought that Awzaan would improve a lot for the last run.
Report Shark12 September 17, 2010 2:21 PM BST
Still fancy either Ashram or Huntdown of the Godolphin horses.
Report Prima Donna September 17, 2010 2:27 PM BST
Lets hope you along with the better judges are rightHappyI will be the first to say I got it wrong if he skates up!Still hold my view about Awzaan though.
Report Prima Donna September 17, 2010 2:38 PM BST
There you are sageform he did run very well along with Delegator...........I'll take it back!Cool
Report Shark12 September 17, 2010 2:39 PM BST
Well done guys.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com