Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
top3 makin ahern and de souza
16 Apr 10 11:10
| Topic/replies: 2,566 | Blogger: top3 makin ahern and de souza's blog
he seems to spend big bucks at the sales with little or no success on the track [in this country at least] surely it cannot continue
Pause Switch to Standard View the millions spent by paul cole on...
Show More
Report Popeye April 16, 2010 1:03 PM BST
How has Tom Tate done with his expensive purchases for them?
Report Lairy Mary April 16, 2010 2:34 PM BST
No real difference in what Graham Wylie shells out each year - he spent a small fortune on flat horses to be trained by Howard Johnson yet I can hardly name one. True he has had sucess NH with the likes of Inglis Drever but not what he should have, IMO.
Report ben10 April 16, 2010 6:19 PM BST
Both of those named have bought poorly at times imo, they also race them above their actual level (I assume this is on their insistance) which exagerates the poor performances. Anyway nice winner today for the Hays with Pink Symphony, she could have won a maiden easily last season but was taken to the bigger much more competitive tracks.
Report potentialmillionaire April 17, 2010 2:30 PM BST
I am sure we are all aware of the Jess Jackson v Emmanuel de Seroux action involving de Seroux acting on behalf of seller and buyer in a number of expensive transactions - whilst neglecting to mention this to Jess Jackson!
Settled out of court and subsequently responsible for new duel agency laws in Kentucky. I'm afraid the thrill of the 'deal' motivates plenty of trainers/agents far more than the quest for a good horse.
You might say that this could have happened to Graham Wylie, the Hays et al. I couldn't possibly comment. . .
Report GANT007 April 17, 2010 4:04 PM BST
Paul Cole was acting as agent.........these might not even run in the uk like a few of the one's he has purchased already.............it's not all about the uk .
Report TiptheOdds April 25, 2010 7:27 PM BST
Tom Tate too. Has a few very modest youngsters that cost well over $100,000.
Report Eont April 26, 2010 12:44 PM BST
When was the last time Paul Cole trained a top class horse?

There was that horse who died and was placed in the French 2,000 but that is a very poor return.

The money he spends each year he has to be one of the worst trainers for results versus invesemtent in the whole of England.
Report ben10 April 26, 2010 1:02 PM BST
River Proud, he was class.
Report on the steel April 27, 2010 12:00 AM BST
To the best of my knowledge the hays trainers in recent years have been

K Mcauliffe

J S moore

Jane c hyam

Cole/Tate

Never been a fan of Tate but,

I think the trainers are improving and at least will have horses with diff trainers unlike Whilie.

Pink Symphony & No Hubris(returning from injury) have been 2 good fto winners for Cole.
Report Philbet. April 28, 2010 3:28 PM BST
The sad fact is that UK racing an owner only gets 20% return on investments,that means for every £100,000 horse puchased its resale value will drop to £20,000.Not withstanding along the way it will have won a bit of prizemoey to offset the training expences.
In Uk horseracing its the owner who pays, the Bookies ,racecourses,trainers and jockeys make money the punter loses and the owner pays.
Report potentialmillionaire April 28, 2010 8:18 PM BST
Philbet, you missed the vets - they clean up too!
Report A_T April 28, 2010 10:32 PM BST
anyone who has enough money to have horses in training can afford to lose it
Report potentialmillionaire April 29, 2010 12:18 PM BST
A T How short sighted can you get. Ofcourse if we are truly 'sensible' we don't bet more than we can afford either in the bookies or at the end of the month on the training fees, however it's often pretty close to the edge on both scores. With a horse in training there are a million and one things to go wrong and the tab for them still has to be picked up even when they are unexpected and innopportune.
If the ratio of cost to reward was lower then a few more people could hope to get involved and the industry we love could drag itself onto a slightly sounder footing.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com