Forums

Basketball

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
dingles
05 Nov 14 08:16
| Topic/replies: 82 | Blogger: dingles's blog
Hey what do you guys think of James Harden's chances of winning MVP this year?

Currently putting up 27.2ppg, 6.8rpg, 7.4apg, 1.4stl, 1.0blk and he's attacking this year, getting 12.8 ft attempts per game and making 95.3% of those (61/64). Rockets are 5-0 which also helps.

If the Rockets can finish top 3 in the West and he has a big season, how do you rate him?

Lebron has come out a little tentative and the Cavs may struggle in the early going, similar to how the Miami big 3 did when they first got together. Durant is injured and may miss a month or two which has to hurt his chances somewhat. Anthony Davis putting up big individual stats but that doesn't always land an MVP award if the Hornets are middle of the pack in the Wins column.

Currently Harden is @10.0 odds at BF which I'm keeping an eye on to see if it improves, and is 27.0 on Sportsbet and 36.0 on Unibet which seems a lot higher than I'd expect given his strong start. I chucked $100 on him @36.0 but interested to hear how you all expect the MVP to go this year.
Pause Switch to Standard View NBA MVP Betting
Show More
Report numer0ne November 6, 2014 12:07 AM GMT
In my experience it's a waste of money (which could mean i'm just no good at it..). It's normally a select few that stand a chance, all at horrible odds, and then there's about 50 other players that could jump out of nowhere to win it given the right circumstances.
Report numer0ne November 6, 2014 12:13 AM GMT
As for Harden, Hakeem Olajuwon doesn't think he's the mvp of his own team -he sees Howard winning it. He's more valuable than Howard imo, but just illustrates his chances. 10/1 pfft
Report dingles November 6, 2014 12:44 AM GMT
yeah I'd read that about Howard getting praise from Olajuwon too. I know what you mean about there usually being a couple clear favorites.

Coming into the season those 2 favs were Durant and Lebron. After Durant's injury he dropped back quite a bit in the odds, and Lebron who is now at roughly 2.0 odds is too short imo.

I see him having a small step back statistically this year and the wins may or may not start to roll in as the season progresses, but if either the wins or the individual stats aren't quite there he wont get it, which opens things up for guys like Griffin and Harden who will put up big numbers and their teams should win somewhere around 50 to 60 games.
Report Mooono November 8, 2014 4:11 PM GMT
I like to try and find a nice dark horse in these kind of markets, but usually it is one of top two in the market it goes to..The bets i like are best regular season record Houston Rockets 25/1 & Memphis Grizzlies 22/1, i cant have the spurs or cavs both at around 5/2, can see the spurs resting alot of the oaps, and the cavs still need time to let teamwork make the dreamwork. The grizz and rockets really are clicking this year, and the slimmed down marc gasol is looking better than ever. it will be a great nba season, and even betfair has got live streams this year! must of outbid 365, cause their site is awful for the basketball streams this year
Report wisewords November 9, 2014 4:31 AM GMT
Steph Curry
Report Mooono November 9, 2014 4:28 PM GMT
The unibrow will surely win it within the next few years
Report dingles November 11, 2014 12:44 AM GMT
If the Pelicans are one of the top teams by then and he keeps dominating like this he will definitely be in the running.

Re: Steph Curry - yes he's another one I was looking at too. Might chuck a small bet on him as well.
Report dingles November 12, 2014 7:01 AM GMT
Just an update, the highest MVP odds I can find for Harden anywhere now is 17.0 at Ladbrokes. It's come down a long way in the last week, Unibet has him at just 10.0 now
Report dingles November 25, 2014 9:53 PM GMT
36-6-6-3-1 with 7 threes for Harden yesterday in a win without D12.
Rockets are 11-3 now hopefully his odds continue dropping throughout the season :)
Report wisewords November 26, 2014 1:49 AM GMT
Brow, Harden, Steph, Dirk
Report dingles November 27, 2014 5:32 AM GMT
I don't have Dirk up there. Mavs playing great team ball but I don't think he's doing enough individually to get MVP.
19.0pts, 5.5 rebs, 2.1ast it's not MVP calibre even though the Mavs are doing well this year.

Durant could be back within the next week which may complicate things. I've seen his odds at 15.0 on some sites and could be worth a look as one to back now and then lay deeper into the season if he gets down to 3.0 - 4.0 odds?
Report numer0ne November 28, 2014 3:50 AM GMT
Marc Gasol is my pick to win it. Got on at 100-1 last week. Cool
Report numer0ne November 28, 2014 3:52 AM GMT
People thought he had no shot at DPOY last season and he proved them wrong. He will prove them wrong again. Cool
Report numer0ne November 28, 2014 3:57 AM GMT
Both award voted for by the media btw, so the same sports writers who gave him DPOY last season decide whether he gets MVP this season.
Report lurka November 29, 2014 1:30 AM GMT
golden state at their highest now
Report TimeForm22 November 30, 2014 8:59 PM GMT
numer0one, where is Marc Gasol on NBA MVP market? can't find him....
Report numer0ne December 2, 2014 4:36 AM GMT
Naturally Betfair have B.Lopez on the list but not Gasol.
Report numer0ne December 2, 2014 4:38 AM GMT
off topic, nice cover by utah there: putback dunk at the buzzer. Sweet as a nut.
Report dingles December 10, 2014 1:15 AM GMT
100 odds for Gasol looks good. It must have dropped cos the lowest I can find now is ~30
There were some reports last week he had a bone bruise in his knee or something which is a bit worrisome but he came put up a big line after that report came out so maybe he can play through it.
Harden still going strong. tied for 1st in scoring with 25.2 ppg and Rockets tied for 2nd best record in the league at 16-4.
Report numer0ne December 10, 2014 1:55 PM GMT
A bone bruise is not a long term concern, though injuries are a concern to all in the race. Harden's nicked up apparently. Back spasms -that can be a reoccurring injury. Looks like the West players Gasol/ Harden/ Curry are the frontrunners one fifth of the way through the season.
Report numer0ne December 10, 2014 2:31 PM GMT
and James actually, since he's pulling a pile of rubble.
Report dingles December 11, 2014 2:45 AM GMT
yeah Gasol has played amazing with it so hopefully it's not that big a deal in his case. Whenever I hear bone bruise I immediately think back to Andrew Bynum and how he sat out with the 76ers though.

Harden yeah the back spasms are a bit annoying, if the Rockets lose games when he sits it'll probably hurt his chances too since it'll likely go to the leader on one of the top teams.

Lebron has picked up the scoring recently. Still not playing as good as previous seasons yet but it seems like he's heating up.
Report dingles December 19, 2014 6:34 AM GMT
I think Curry's moved ahead of Harden if he wasn't already.

22-3 record for the Warriors and he's playing amazing.

Harden still up there though. Leading the league in scoring and the Rockets have a great record too.
Report numer0ne December 19, 2014 3:52 PM GMT
I just look at the W/L column because that's all that seperates the big 3 right now. If Durant hadn't turned his ankle the Grizzlies would have the league best record right now Wink

But back to my point who would deny either with their team atop the league standings? We know Americans are obsessed with winning.
Report numer0ne December 30, 2014 6:10 PM GMT
I think we can rule out Durant & James at this point. Durant has missed so much time he doesn't deserve it. James' Cavs aren't going to win enough games for it.
Report grey shark January 18, 2015 5:09 PM GMT
Report GREEDISGOOD January 18, 2015 5:49 PM GMT
curry has it in the bag
Report nugget January 22, 2015 4:51 AM GMT
1. curry
2. harden
Report nugget January 22, 2015 5:09 AM GMT
can curry win mvp and warriors also win the comp?
Report nugget January 22, 2015 5:10 AM GMT
long season for curry and thompson with off-season national duties..
Report nugget January 22, 2015 5:13 AM GMT
looking forward to western conference finals between spurs and warriors
Report dingles January 27, 2015 12:04 AM GMT
Curry is the favourite now at 1.80-2.00 at most sites
Harden and Lebron both around 3.50-4.50 odds
Glad I got in on Harden when he was at 36.0 but the Warriors record could put Curry over the line if they keep winning.
I think Harden still has a real shot at it though. $3,600 will be a nice win if he can get it.
Report Mike-lfc January 29, 2015 10:28 AM GMT

Dec 30, 2014 -- 12:10PM, numer0ne wrote:

I think we can rule out Durant & James at this point. Durant has missed so much time he doesn't deserve it. James' Cavs aren't going to win enough games for it.

Cavs on fire since you said this.

Report Mike-lfc January 29, 2015 10:28 AM GMT
not since but last couple of weeks
Report numer0ne January 29, 2015 2:55 PM GMT
But they've lost 20 games. You can't undo that. Plus he's adopted Wade's bad habit of taking days/ weeks off. JVG was saying during the Bulls game last week that if any other player did what he was doing they'd be frontrunners for MVP -that's BS, you can't be MVP on a team with a 57% record. Several others are far more deserving.
Report nugget February 5, 2015 6:04 AM GMT
curry should be 1.05 soon
Report nugget February 10, 2015 1:07 AM GMT
cant seem to get a read on the pelicans
checked there recent form the other day and they were 10-5 in their last 15, with 4 of those losses against bos, phi, ny and den.
they seem to play to the level of their opposition but this year could they make a push for the postseason??

that would make 4 mvp candidates
Report dingles April 7, 2015 5:06 AM BST
Harden's odds keep dropping, I'd say it's nearly 50-50 between Harden and Curry now.
If he can carry the Rockets to 2nd in the West with the great individual numbers he's putting up it might be enough to get him over the line.
He's been #1 on the NBA.com MVP power rankings for the last few weeks now... fingers crossed!
Report RLACML April 8, 2015 12:45 AM BST
If it's not Curry, there's something wrong.
Report numer0ne April 10, 2015 11:43 AM BST
Agreed. Too many wins & highlight reels for Curry not to win it.
Report dingles May 22, 2015 2:48 AM BST
I managed to hedge some money on Curry when the odds were still around 1.50 which was cool. Would have loved to see Harden get it but it was just Curry (and the Warriors) year
Report nugget June 17, 2015 4:48 AM BST

Jan 21, 2015 -- 11:09PM, nugget wrote:

can curry win mvp and warriors also win the comp?

Turns out, Yes!

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com