Forums

World Cup 2014

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Rory B. Bellows
06 Jun 14 20:02
| Topic/replies: 244 | Blogger: Rory B. Bellows's blog
I can't for the life of me think why there are available at 3/10. That's massive IMO. Thinking of hitting it big.

Surely the best priced bet of the tournament?

Any one got an opinion?
Pause Switch to Standard View Australia to finish bottom of group B
Show More
Report morpteh mackem June 6, 2014 8:06 PM BST
agree rory if that's your type of price ,cant see them scoring a goal
Report Rory B. Bellows June 6, 2014 8:11 PM BST
It's not really mate, don't usually touch anything that short, but it just seems  outstanding value and like I said, thinking of going in bigger than I have on anything else in the past
Report morpteh mackem June 6, 2014 9:33 PM BST
gl, although don't think you'll need it.
Report morpteh mackem June 6, 2014 9:33 PM BST
give my regards to krustyGrin
Report Rory B. Bellows June 6, 2014 10:07 PM BST
Excited
Report Platini June 9, 2014 10:55 PM BST
Lumped on the 1/3 a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't believe the price. Thought it looked an easy trade as the price would be smashed but it hasn't shortened too much so far. I can only think Chile are being underrated by the market - expecting them to take a couple of beatings from the big 2, same as the Aussies. But Chile for me, are capable of getting something from either of the big 2. The South American home advantage is very significant, and as MC pointed out in his excellent preview, the Aussies have also got far more travelling to do between matches.  In short, the best 1/3 shot I've seen in a long time.
Report Hank Hill June 9, 2014 11:07 PM BST
Totally agree Platini. This is the best 1.3ish shot on offer at the WC.
Report Rory B. Bellows June 9, 2014 11:18 PM BST
Still not touched this- been having second thoughts.

Just keep thinking back to 2010. What price were New Zealand to finish bottom.

Unless I back the Aussies with a saver on Spain Crazy
Report toffee87 June 10, 2014 9:45 AM BST
I've been thinking about this, and is it not better to just have a single on Chile to beat Australia on Friday @ just about 1/2 ?

Or maybe split stakes on this and them Australia to finish bottom
Report Rory B. Bellows June 11, 2014 12:02 AM BST
toffee

I reckon the difference in price is due to the fact that Chile are seen as a team that are capable of getting something from either Spain or Holland. Australia have no chance in reality. Chile should smash the aussies, but, with it being their opening game of the tournament, Australia could be going all out and might nick a draw. Strangers things have happened.
Report pedromsa June 11, 2014 12:25 AM BST
You have Costa Rica to finish bottom in group D too!!!
Report Asparagus Man June 11, 2014 9:54 AM BST
I'd much rather have Oz 1.3 to finish bottom of their group than Costa Rica at the same price.

Oz have three very strong teams to play against - Costa Rica could get something from any of their games.
Report Platini June 12, 2014 9:41 AM BST
1/3 on Aus to finish bottom is a better bet than 1/2 on Chile to beat Aussies, because if that games drawn, you still have a huge chance of collecting.
Report plastic city June 12, 2014 10:54 AM BST
I'd just be wary of writing off Australia. The locals here dont give much for their chances, and that last match here in Australia was awful, no obvious striker, defence is suspect, Cahill is getting old and slow.

However, ozzie sides in any sport will always give their best, regardless of the opposition - that's the only thing thats stopping me backing the 1/3.
Report therhino June 12, 2014 11:58 AM BST
Proud Aussie signing in. Will lay it out for you. While Aussies (Bernard Tomic aside) do tend to fight till the last breath in a way few others do, we are well and truly out of our depth here. This team has little experience and no cutting edge going forward. It's a bang and crash unit, hit and hope, on the off chance Cahill somehow gets a head on the ball to score. All the golden oldies are gone, the new coach, Ange Postecoglou is a legend in the local league here and he plays only one way - all out attack. But I don't see how we are going to score with the horses he has against sides of this quality. The defence is beyond borderline and lacks speed. Up forward it's Cahill or bust, leaving Kennedy out was an interesting choice, he has always been a super sub and creates match up difficulties and a change of tactics from opponents. This team will be a one trick pony and that trick ain't special. 

The real objective at this World Cup is to blood youth. Forget the rhetoric about going there to shock the world, they have to say that. In 2014 the Asian Cup will be in Australia. That is the goal, not this competition. It was a massive deal to move out of Oceania and into Asia and getting the next generation ready is the mission. Football will never be the no 1 sport in Oz, if I'm wrong on that, I won't be wrong for at least 50 years, and as a nation fans here are used to winners and demand success. 2014 is massive. Expectations here are zero. It is a learning experience and nothing more in reality. The 1.32 for finish bottom, is quite simply, a stonking price. Back with confidence. HTH.
Report therhino June 12, 2014 12:03 PM BST
* 2016 Asian Cup
Report Platini June 13, 2014 11:39 PM BST
Couldn't have got off to better start. Layed off all of my 1/3 wedge at 1/12 Cool
Report Rory B. Bellows June 14, 2014 12:17 AM BST
Ended up leaving it.

Had the same stake on Chile tonight, though have just laid off for half my stake. Bricking it here!
Report 247lol June 14, 2014 2:11 AM BST
When will boomerang throwing be internationally recognised Rhino ?
Report 247lol June 14, 2014 2:15 AM BST
I mean the Aussies have won the odd golf tourney and play that funny old girls game with hockey sticks quidditch ?Wink
Report therhino June 14, 2014 5:04 AM BST
I assume you are English, as most on here who play this game tend to be. Do you dare not mention the cricket?
Report bagelish_ian June 14, 2014 7:17 AM BST
Stand up, If you're 5-nil up, good to see Root came good again, - powder puff, how bout an important innings JOEY boy!
Report bagelish_ian June 14, 2014 7:20 AM BST
I thought Tommy Oar was terrible... he cracked the **** when he realised he wasn't the fastest player on the pitch and we were 2-nil down.
Report 247lol June 14, 2014 4:08 PM BST
Cricket did come to mind but is that a sport or is it just something the Aussies are reasonably good at because they can bash something with a big fat stick ?, to be honest cucumber sandwiches and few pints of fosters in the break sounds more like a day out at the seaside.
I mean I heard all this usual Aussie bravado prior to the Chile match but any country that takes pride in singing about an old hobo (waltzing matilda)on his travels is obviously spending to much time propping up the bar downing the old amber nectar.
Australia can plan out the next 10 generations but they won't come close to winning a football world cup in next 200 years Laugh but it is great you turn up because we all like to see someone getting a good pasting so we can p**s ourselves laughing over a few jars particularly when its the TOUGH Aussies ooooohhhhh Laugh
Nice chatting xxx
Report kincsem June 14, 2014 9:43 PM BST
I have Spain at 51s for bottom in my Rock Bottom multiple.  Australia no mugs.
Report T20man June 15, 2014 11:37 AM BST
Of course Australia was always going to finish last in this group. But why take a lousy 1.30 on that, when I was able to get a juicy 1.85 on us conceeding more than 6 goals in the WC. I'm almost half there already!...Grin.

247lol: Yeah, Australia probably wont win the world cup in a hurry. But neither will England. Pretty sad for a country where soccer is the number 1 sport, dont you think? Here I dont even know too many people who give much of a damn about soccer and the world cup. Small interest at best. So in summary neither England or Australia will be winning the world cup over the next 200 years...but in that time we will no doubt win about 10x the number of Cricket and Rugby League world cups (and p**s ourselves laughing at you in the process). So who will be better off 247lol?...Laugh.

Oh, BTW we do take pride in singing Waltxing Matilda. Surely a better national song than a 4 line "anthem" about god saving some old bag, no?
Report saltmountain June 15, 2014 2:35 PM BST
australia no points was 5/4 with skybet

that was some price
Report Whatoddswouldyoulike June 15, 2014 3:39 PM BST
Australia no points was 6/4 with Ladbrokes. That was a better price.

Also under 1.5 points at 8/13 with Spreadex was one of the better bets of the tournament.

To be fair though they were a little bit unlucky not to get a point against Chile.
Report 247lol June 15, 2014 3:52 PM BST
Laught20 caught a big one Wink
Report saltmountain June 15, 2014 7:45 PM BST
feck that

oddschecker had skybet as the only one offering a price on that
mad price altogether
Report Can't Catch Me June 15, 2014 8:02 PM BST
Australia 0 points was 11/8 with betfred.
Report T20man June 16, 2014 2:13 PM BST
The TAB in Australia had Oz to concede 7 or more goals at a 1.85.
After I smashed that, the price fell to 1.80. So I smashed it some more...Happy.
Report Platini June 16, 2014 4:25 PM BST
1/3 on rock bottom was massive. I made it a 1/10 shot. Spain finishing bottom might as well be 500/1, they will smash the Aussies in the last match.
Report 247lol June 17, 2014 11:03 PM BST
I hear they're putting up a cricket scoreboard for the Holland match to keep score LaughLaugh
Report JC1326 June 18, 2014 2:49 PM BST

Jun 16, 2014 -- 4:25PM, Platini wrote:

1/3 on rock bottom was massive. I made it a 1/10 shot. Spain finishing bottom might as well be 500/1, they will smash the Aussies in the last match.

if Spain had been qualified by that game they would have played the reserves, so maybe it would have been closer. who knows, they go out tonight, they may play the reserves, though that's it's less likely, as they would want to do their best to guarantee a win.

I think it depends on your stake really, how much of your bank you have on. I think I got Oz to finish bottom @ 1.28, a tenth of my max bet, but I wouldn't want any more, World Cups are unpredictable. Look at Costa Rica, how much money will be lost on them finishing bottom.

I think Australia did great the other night too, probably deserved a draw, so they shouldn't be mocked. Uruguay deserve to be, especially with how many people were talking them up.

Report EUGENE KRABS June 18, 2014 9:32 PM BST
in big trouble this now..Spain won't give a flying fcuk in the last game Sad
Report JC1326 June 18, 2014 9:42 PM BST
I don't think that's true. they'll hardly want to go out with no points. surely anyone that backed this will be able to get out? personally don't know if I'd want a demoralised Spain against the Ozzies, who have done well.
Report metaphor June 18, 2014 10:06 PM BST
judging on the performances so far you would have to fancy the aussies

unless del bosque actually uses his brain and drop casillas and costa and the other old men who are past their sell by's
Report 247lol June 18, 2014 10:07 PM BST
Nothing going right for Spain right now and you wouldn't touch them with a bargepole against the Aussies
Report wombleoz June 18, 2014 10:55 PM BST
Spain need to win by 4 for you to collect? Good luck Wink

Go Socceroos - shame we weren't in any other pool
Report wombleoz June 18, 2014 11:00 PM BST
stupid 2am starts, and after watching all of state of origin first - damn work as well Blush

obviously Spain only has to beat us for you to win but that won't happen.  lay off is my tip Cool
Report T20man June 19, 2014 9:29 AM BST
Australia actually very unlucky not to have drawn one of their matches.
They had both Chile and Holland crapping their pants at various stages of their matches.

However the Aussie inexperienced defence was always going to be the problem.
Hopefully even the hopeless Spaniards can get at least 1 goal past us, for me to
collect a sizeable win.
Report stu June 19, 2014 9:39 AM BST
Spain at 1.44 to beat Aussies last game - surely that's worth backing? Know it's a dead rubber, but playing for pride for sure.
Report Platini June 19, 2014 12:53 PM BST
who'd have thought Spain would be the danger to the bet Crazy

well not really a danger, since the bet was greened up after the first match.

But to ensure a chunky profit, I've given up a tiny amount of my green to cover Spain now purely because of their body language last night - those players don't want to be there, and they can't be trusted to beat the Aussies in the last match. The Aussies will be up for it, we know that. But what's in it for Spain?
Report stu June 19, 2014 1:36 PM BST
Purely pride - losing all three matches would be even worse? But take the point about body language and their motivation too, perhaps a no-bet...
Report sofiakenny June 19, 2014 1:39 PM BST
no Cahil for the boomerang boys ..big miss.
Report iprefertolay June 19, 2014 2:59 PM BST
platini,I warned over surprises in the rock bottom markets if you recall.
Report Rory B. Bellows June 19, 2014 3:16 PM BST
Tbh Im glad I ended up leaving this. Probably got quite lucky with the Chile-Australia match aswell.
Report JC1326 June 19, 2014 4:12 PM BST

Jun 19, 2014 -- 12:53PM, Platini wrote:

who'd have thought Spain would be the danger to the bet well not really a danger, since the bet was greened up after the first match.But to ensure a chunky profit, I've given up a tiny amount of my green to cover Spain now purely because of their body language last night - those players don't want to be there, and they can't be trusted to beat the Aussies in the last match. The Aussies will be up for it, we know that. But what's in it for Spain?

you greened up a 1.28 or whatever it was after they lost their first game and were due to face Holland that had just thumped Spain 5-1? yeah, sure you did, mate.

I got them @ 1.31 but I'm getting out. Don't care if Cahill isn't playing, when you take a bet like this it should have been done and dusted long before the last game. Spain are terrible

Report stu June 19, 2014 4:16 PM BST
Getting worried about Spain beating Australia in a WC...football's gone mad! Crazy
Report JC1326 June 19, 2014 4:23 PM BST
well, Australia probably should have been 3-2 up before their keeper made a mistake against Holland, and Holland are playing much better. hope Australia do win, they've been great this WC, and yesterday was one of the best games
Report iprefertolay June 19, 2014 4:25 PM BST
Dont forget platini, aussie v spain is a must win game for spain because of thier inferior goal difference.
Also are spain really bothered now.
i wouldnt want to sweating on a massive odds on shot on this match.
Report 247lol June 19, 2014 5:24 PM BST
No bet match because Spain can't win anything due to some poor managerial decisions and confidence in him must be very low and Aussies although the lowest ranked team here do show great spirit and will not let Spain have an easy time, so with the Aussies biting at their heels every chance they get do you honestly think Spain will want that? I cannot see it and a shock is on the cards here, should be good to watch and I am sure plenty will take find it amusing should Spain fall to the "mighty" Aussies myself included.Laugh
Report iprefertolay June 19, 2014 5:42 PM BST
agee totally 247lol
Report Platini June 20, 2014 8:03 PM BST
JC1326, what are you on about????

Just for you, here's my bets. Try to keep up.

I backed Aus for rock bottom at odds of 1.31 (placed on 22nd May at 9.11 pm)
After they got pumped by Chile, I layed off my stake at 1.08 (placed on 13th June at 11.28pm)

That left me with big green on Aussies.

Then when Spain started to collapse I checked the latest odds on Aussies for rock bottom. It was still very low at 1.17
That meant I could lay some more off to ensure an even green. Only cost me a small fraction of my profit. (bet placed on 18th June at 9.04pm)
Report Barry Conway June 20, 2014 10:01 PM BST
Well done. Arbitraguer dans l'annee.
Report T20man June 24, 2014 6:52 PM BST
Mission accomplished.
I needed Australia to conceed 7 or more goals....they let in 9.
This was my Best Bet of the tournie...and by far my biggest bet.
Time to go collect...Happy.
Report Platini June 25, 2014 1:03 PM BST
It was my biggest bet of the tourney and still one of the best 1/3 shots I've seen. But tbf to the Aussies, they played really well and Cahill's goal will take a lot of beating.
Report Biffo2010 June 25, 2014 4:59 PM BST
Best 1/3 shot u ever saw Laugh Could of gotten near 1/2 goin into last game!!
Report Platini June 25, 2014 7:31 PM BST
Yes mug, and you could have got 1/20 after Chile went 2 up. The bet was home and hosed after 15 mins of the first match. Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com