Forums

World Cup 2014

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
benbfc
20 May 14 22:19
| Topic/replies: 105 | Blogger: benbfc's blog
Normally in the week or so prior? See they have published a book too...
Pause Switch to Standard View When is the RP Preview Edition?
Show More
Report Roger De Bris May 21, 2014 5:21 PM BST
I see World Soccer's mag was out 9th May? Anyone get it?
Would it not have players in that didnt go, seeing as the squads werent declared till 13th? Ashley Cole & Carrick?
Report Roger De Bris May 23, 2014 7:39 PM BST
I bought it today. Carrick & Cole in it. Strange decision to sell on 9th May, 4 days before squads announced.
Report kincsem May 23, 2014 7:57 PM BST
I flicked through the book in my local bookshop, but it didn't pick Ghana as the winner, so I doubt the research. Plain
Report toffee87 May 24, 2014 8:53 AM BST
RP pullout is out 5th June
Report tobermory May 26, 2014 1:55 AM BST
can we all predict what the main tipsters will put up ?

Mark Langdon: Brazil
Cascarino: Germany
Pullein : Wink
Report marychain1 May 27, 2014 1:59 PM BST
Pullein - over 7.5 sendings off in the tournament at 8/11 (Bet £3.65) to be immediately brought in by same company to 8/15 and max stake £3.65.
Report johnnyrant May 27, 2014 2:45 PM BST
RP seem to have mostly abysmal football tipsters. The only one I enjoy reading is Didi Hamann because he is more capable of thinking outside the box. I look forward to the RP WC guide but 4 years ago I recall a very long-winded article by (Pullein?) in which he made the case as to why Mexico would beat Uruguay in their group game, & this was pretty much his only recommendation at the entire tourno & the odds were quite prohibitive. Result: Mexico 0 Uruguay 1.
Report toffee87 May 27, 2014 9:34 PM BST
Pullein - over 7.5 sendings off in the tournament at 8/11 (Bet £3.65) to be immediately brought in by same company to 8/15 and max stake £3.65.

I think Pullein did a piece on sending offs in todays paper - he was saying that PP had pitched the under/over line too low because UEFA had ordered the refs to issue a red card for any foul play or dangerous tackle
Report Baz May 27, 2014 10:06 PM BST
Steve Davies wrote the article about the reds, not KP. He seemed to suggest little more than the refs would be following the rules.
Report daveygfc June 3, 2014 1:26 PM BST
96 page pullout in Thursday's RP.
Report wallis June 4, 2014 9:39 AM BST
The tipping in the RP is shocking. I had the last 2 world cups and 2 euros RP pullouts and their selections are dreadful. You have over 100 bets most of the time and you will be lucky if they pull 5 winners.
Report kenilworth June 4, 2014 10:50 AM BST
Big profits on the English leagues
guesses 2013/14 by the Racing Post.
Report wallis June 4, 2014 11:53 AM BST
No idea how their league performances are - I just know that their big tournament stuff is diabolical Happy

I will have to have a search through the house and see if I can find their old previews - some of it was truly laughable even before the event let alone after.
Report wallis June 4, 2014 11:58 AM BST
toffee - when you say that UEFA wanted red cards for dangerous/foul play , is that for this world cup ? How can UEFA ask for it if its a FIfa run comp ?
Report wallis June 4, 2014 12:15 PM BST
found it.
Report Steamship June 5, 2014 12:12 AM BST
I have already seen Pullein's article on the greatest tournament on the planet 3 pages of info. His recommendation No Bet
Report dukeofpuke June 5, 2014 12:37 AM BST
i will be acquiring mine from some bookies tmoz.

it will be on sale for £9.99 later for all those that miss it
Report Panther65 June 5, 2014 6:41 AM BST
ive got mine this morning...Happy

now lets have a good old study Laugh
Report morpteh mackem June 5, 2014 7:33 AM BST
got mine, kevin pullein- no bet
Report CLYDEBANK29 June 5, 2014 9:08 AM BST
They have to do it with 2 hands tied behind their backs.  They can't choose when to publish their tips and probably have to provide loads of tips that they don't like because they have to do so.  They are feeding on scraps because all the best value I'd found has long gone
Report Ozymandius June 5, 2014 9:16 AM BST
I don't suppose this is available on the online edition?
Report Panther65 June 5, 2014 9:40 AM BST
i think its a good read as it goes...

im not particularly interested in what they tip, as everybodies opinion varies...
Report Over2.5 June 5, 2014 12:28 PM BST
much is this ??
Report Super Hans June 5, 2014 1:54 PM BST
£2.10
Report Over2.5 June 5, 2014 2:39 PM BST
got it just about to sit down with a cuppa tea and do some reading GrinGrinGrinGrin
Report Rider June 5, 2014 3:41 PM BST
its good value, tons of info and will keep it handy for the next month
Report johnnyrant June 5, 2014 3:54 PM BST
My opinions differ largely from their main so-called experts, so I'm treating this as a positive Laugh
Report padlock June 5, 2014 4:11 PM BST
not bad info imo $2.80
Report marychain1 June 5, 2014 10:48 PM BST
Forgot to buy this today, can anyone give a precis of the tips, picks and ideas?
Report Mikael D'Haguenet June 6, 2014 12:38 AM BST
Langdon went 4pts Argentina, 1pt e/w France and Italy. Steve Davies also went Argentina. Childs and Wilkerson went for Spain, Pullein for Brazil.

Chhilds did top scorer: 2pts e/w Ronaldo, 1pt e/w Neymar and Benzema, 0.5pt e/w Bacca, Yaya

The 'World Cup Jury' saw Niall Quinn going for your pick David Luiz for 'star of the tournament' but Craig Brown gave the nod to Steven Gerrard and top scorer to Sturridge. Must have been on the Buckfast! They all (John Barnes, Motson and Peter Shilton were the others) predictably see England making it out of the group.

Among Didi Hamann's picks are the Argies to win and he also goes for Benzema top scorer. (Seriously, if Benzema is top scorer, I quit gambling!)

Somebody called Michael Cox, who writes a decent piece, goes for Spain. Vidal for top scorer, Croatia and Japan to qualify.

South African expert Tim Vickery goes for a Brazil-Argentina final, Ecuador to qualify.

Childs does England Specials: 3pts o3.5 Goals (4/6), 1pt Sturridge top England scorer.

Group betting...

A) 1pt Brazil to get nine points (11/10)
B) 3pts Chile to qualify (10/11), 2pts Australia to get zero points (6/4)
C) 3pts Cote D'Ivoire to qualify (11/10), 2pts Greece to finish bottom (13/8)
D) 2pts Italy (13/8), 2pts Italy-England dual f/c (11/5)
E) 1pt France-Switzerland sf/c (5/2)
F) 2pts Argentina-Bosnia sf/c (6/4), Iran u1.5 points (4/5)
G) 2pts USA u2.5 points (21/20)
H) 1pt Russia not to qualify (9/5), 1pt Russia to finish bottom (9/1)

Among Langdon's tournament specials are tips on Cameroon (1pt, 18/1) and Chile (0.5pt, 33/1) to concede most goals. He goes 0.5pts each on Hulk, Thiago Silva and Marco Reus for Golden Ball. He also suggests a lay of Belgium-Russia sf/c, and a back on an Argentina-France final.

Pullein's two-page column is full of insight. 'A European country could lift the trophy... but it is less likely than it would have been if the tournament was in Europe.' Whodathunkit? A quarter of his piece is wasted telling us how the FIFA rankings are useful, but not really, and friendlies with Indonesia are a bad idea. Big players struggle more in the heat than small players and 'penalty shootouts are not the lottery that some believe.' No bets recommended, obviously.
Report Mikael D'Haguenet June 6, 2014 12:42 AM BST
I'm not sure how much their South African expert actually knows about Ecuador. Their South American expert does fancy them though!
Report brngtwt June 6, 2014 1:53 AM BST
The 96 pages ,minus 50 pages of adverts,reveal little more than
BACK BRAZIL or one of the other front three in the betting.
At least Pullien highlighted the futility of playing friendlies regards FIFA rankings.
Something the FA will realise in five years time.
Report Paddy Hair June 6, 2014 2:47 AM BST
Mikael
Tim Vickery is a South American based journalist often used by Talksport, not South African.
Report johnnyrant June 6, 2014 9:11 AM BST
Seems to be something of a group think in the R.Post guide given the way they are all dismissing the chances of Germany and The Netherlands, and keen on France.
Report bardo June 6, 2014 10:15 AM BST
Tim Vickery knows his stuff,regularly listen to him on the radio..he knows south american football inside out and talks a lot of sense.

A brazil / agrgentina final is a smart bet and would be a great match too
Report marychain1 June 6, 2014 12:19 PM BST
Brazil/Argentina is the most likely final, and if everything goes to form it could easily be the final. I suspect that Argentina will get found out by one of the smarter teams in the latter rounds, although I'm struggling to work out who. I've covered Brazil/Belgium and Brazil/Uruguay finals.
Report Mikael D'Haguenet June 6, 2014 1:17 PM BST
Paddy
I did note my Vickery error in my follow-up post. It was late!

MC1
Don't mention it.
Report marychain1 June 6, 2014 1:32 PM BST
Sorry MK, how rude of me. Blush Thanks for posting that summary up, very good of you.
Report johnnyrant June 6, 2014 1:37 PM BST
Vickery lives out there & has had the Beeb gig as S.American football expert for a good while. I can easily envisage an Argentina Brazil final but if Suarez can get fit in time Uruguay are dangerous to discount. They are an experienced tournament team & I don't buy this notion their squad is over the hill. That was all the pundits kept saying relentlessly about France in 2006 & they were very wide of the mark.
Report Mikael D'Haguenet June 6, 2014 1:42 PM BST
No worries. I was typing it out on the missus' laptop (I hate laptops!) while in bed. I'm useless at c+p'ing on those things so my biggest concern was that somebody would post before me.

I must sit down and really look at the schedule. There are a few teams I'm prepared to rule out purely on the basis of playing multiple games in the north at lunchtime. I reckon this could be a year where a complete no-hoper makes the semis.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com