Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rue-the- day
26 Sep 16 00:58
| Topic/replies: 548 | Blogger: rue-the- day's blog
Hi, same old question probably asked before, any professional tennis traders or semi professional who make money from the game. Are there good strategies not wishing you to give away your secrets though understandably, any good tennis trading books you could recommend seen a few on amazon. I am just willing to learn have about 100k at my disposal to use, even willing to pay a few grand for some expert tuition. Also is it best using ann app like bet angel again not something used before. Thanks in advance all.
Pause Switch to Standard View Tennis trading
Show More
Report Mike-lfc September 26, 2016 10:23 AM BST
i would also like to learn. But if i had 100k in burn my advice is don't bet at all.
Report bunneh September 26, 2016 3:58 PM BST
http://babypuntz-students.blogspot.nl/
Report bobweenit September 26, 2016 4:16 PM BST
10 k in my bank and we will have that into half a mill by the end of October!
Report bobweenit September 26, 2016 4:17 PM BST
I heard the Grant c king trading system was profitableMischief
Report bobweenit September 26, 2016 4:19 PM BST
He not on here regularly anymore as he and his lover r having a little breakWink they normally show up on giro daysWink
Report rue-the- day September 26, 2016 10:50 PM BST
Cheers for the replys will look at that website, mastering tennis trading by Daniel Weston just bought will have a wee read of that, know there are many strategies backing the server etc, made my mistakes gambling more than trading and ending up all red, we learn from our mistakes, so just need to learn
Report DStyle September 27, 2016 9:42 AM BST
all right.

here's some advice.

Like trading in anything, you have understand the markets.

You need to be able to predict prices based on any score for stable, unremarkable, markets from the start price alone.

Then you need to understand the effect of "dominance" in the match on the price.

You also need to understand when markets might not behave properly. Injury, injury concerns, wrong starting price, "funny business", poor prematch liquidity (weak sp), etc.

Then you need to understand the players, their styles, the match ups, their temperament and you also need a simple understanding of motivational concerns.

Then you need to be able to identify and construct "virtual bets" of your own choosing in the match odds market. You need to stake them properly so you protect your bank, in particular, the amount lost at the point of stop loss. You need to enforce your stop losses. You only make bets with a positive EV.

I've said it before: you need to know what you're betting on, at what price and for how much. If you read back the bet on your betslip, you've not understood (because then you're just betting, not trading)

Strategies can be simplified and you may find that much simpler ideas/ heuristics work, but I can guarantee you, that their success can be explained in terms of the points above.
Report rue-the- day September 27, 2016 8:33 PM BST
Thanks dstyle, thanks for all your information, I also need to learn bet angel so like you day have a stop loss set, maybe go on the bet angel course. Every one starts somewhere. Thanks again!!!
Report lauradoom September 28, 2016 5:33 PM BST
Never bet on games that are not been streamed!

Never bet on Fognini or imo 95% of WTA matches as on there day almost anyone in the top 20-30 can beat anyone else (they are all mugs).

Most importantly watch as much tennis as you can before betting.
Report mesmerised September 28, 2016 6:23 PM BST
I think what people on this thread are trying to say is, back high and lay lowGrin

motivation is a big thing you can't underestimate, there are way too many matches where players lose when they shouldn't for a variety of reasons, the likes of Goffin and Seppi seem to beat players when they should and lose to players when they should, they are consistent, the likes of Verdasco and Fognini are the opposite.
Report McChicken_Sandwich October 9, 2016 12:25 AM BST
"DStyle 27 Sep 16 09:42 Joined: 20 Jan 05 | Topic/replies: 24,956 | Blogger: DStyle's blog
Then you need to be able to identify and construct "virtual bets" of your own choosing in the match odds market. You need to stake them properly so you protect your bank, in particular, the amount lost at the point of stop loss. You need to enforce your stop losses. You only make bets with a positive EV."

How can you have automated stop-loss in inefficient markets? Take a big position when you view market as way off, market doesn't adjust, your player loses a few games in a row and your stop-loss kicks in, you've all red even though you might still view the price as completely wrong?
Report winningthought October 9, 2016 10:21 AM BST
As DStyle states, you need to be able to judge liquidity. It is more of an issue in more obscure markets these days, but you still have to be aware of it. Long gone are the days where I'd like the be holding the largest position in a market - I'm getting too old for that sh^t Happy
Report McChicken_Sandwich October 9, 2016 11:13 AM BST
Sometimes a highly liquid market can still hold a very wrong price, feck redding at awful value.
Report winningthought October 9, 2016 11:38 AM BST
But at least you will be able to get out - many times I've had to carry a bag of sh!t Happy It works both ways obviously, but this leads to the obvious issue of staking.

If you overstake, you are forced to cut your losses or lose an unacceptable percentage of your bank. If you have staked properly, or even understaked (!), you can cut your losses because its the right and natural thing to do. If your hand is forced to cut losses, you have over staked. Redding at poor value won't happen if you have staked properly - you can let it run, smug in the knowledge you will be ahead in the long run Happy
Report DStyle October 9, 2016 6:26 PM BST
As wt says, it is your stake size, more than anything else, that governs when you implement your stop loss.

you can stake so you can't afford to lose more than 1 point, or such that you can run it to the end of the match, or even afford to average down.

the other thing i'd say is that if you're facing a situation where redding out is at poor value (and had you not already got an open position you'd be the counterparty to your redding out bet), you got on too early before the market could go full-retard.

of course, the notion that my monkey-reptile brain doesn't make the mistakes I'm advising against is risible. I ballsed up the Schmiedlova match last night, by doing exactly what i'm advising against above. I just don't do it that often and whilst the loss was too big, it wasn't catastrophic.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com