Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tzack
02 Jul 14 21:16
| Topic/replies: 121 | Blogger: tzack's blog
I am thinking to pick Bouchard at odd 4.4 to win the grand slam. I think she can pass Halep and in the final she will defo win against Kvitova.What do you think?
thanks
Pause Switch to Standard View Eugenie Bouchard
Show More
Report HonkyJoe July 2, 2014 10:47 PM BST
Seems a stupidly long price to me. She's surely got a great chance. I don't understand all the affection for Kvitova. I know she's won already, but that won't necessarily count for as much as people think it will...
Report pedrobob July 2, 2014 11:13 PM BST
Kvitova like Serena Williams - as slow as a boat.

Players like Bouchard and Halep proving much smarter than the previous generation and know they just have to move them around the court to nullify their power.

Agree that Bouchard can beat Kvitova. Halep another story though, think will be very close
Report bb66 July 2, 2014 11:22 PM BST
Halep or Bouchard might get overwhelmed by the occasion and beaten by the more expierenced player. Much will be decided by the day's form, so I have Kvitova still a slight fav
Report n88uk July 2, 2014 11:24 PM BST
The above post doesn't make any sense when Bouchard and Halep don't have a big win between them.

The main reason Kvitova is favourite is on history. On paper she's the best grass court player left. It's hard to disagree tbh, she plays well, she will win, neither Bouchard or Halep have the firepower to live with an on Kvitova.

It's Kvitova so this isn't guaranteed to happen of course, but the price takes that well into account, given she's a bigger favourite than her price if you can guarantee she won't go walkabouts. But of course you can't. In general though Kvitova has been pretty consistent over the years at Wimbledon. The only bad loss is to Flipkens last year, in which she was supposedly under the weather.
Report n88uk July 2, 2014 11:25 PM BST
Sorry that's not at you bb66. It was meant to be at pedrobob.
Report HonkyJoe July 2, 2014 11:41 PM BST
Halep already has experience of a GS Final, though, and put in a very decent performance against Sharapova.  Genie, obviously, doesn't have Finals experience, although she has generally risen to the challenges well, and is clearly rising in confidence and getting closer each time.

And a lack of Finals experience certainly isn't a bar to victory. Plenty have won GS Finals on their first attempt, including (obviously) Kvitova herself.

Neither can we take it for granted that Kvitova won't suffer from Final nerves. She hasn't had much success in Slams recently, and the occasion might mean more to her now. When she's off her game, she's easily beatable by any of the SFs - even Safarova!!
Report pedrobob July 2, 2014 11:42 PM BST
n88, agree that Kvitova has more power. But she needs her opponent to keep smacking the ball back to her in the middle of the court.

Both Halep and Bouchard very fast around the court and far too smart to keep knocking the ball back to a statue
Report n88uk July 3, 2014 12:11 AM BST
Kvitova doesn't mind being on the run providing she can get her strikes on it. If you give her an angle, you are creating a big risk that she blasts a winner straight past you.

The problem I see is both will do too much defending vs Kvitova, and grass isn't a surface that tends to reward defending. If that's what happens, you rely on Kvitova being sub-par.

Bouchard won't compromise her court position which will result in her getting forced into lots of errors by Kvitova's power and weight of ball.

Halep will get forced further and further back behind the baseline, where it's hard to be effective on grass.
Report differentdrum July 3, 2014 10:41 AM BST
Struggling to see why Halep is such a strong favourite, or even favourite at all.

Halep has now been chipping away at a relatively advanced level for nearly two years now, Bouchard only one. As of now there probably isn't much between them and it wouldn't be difficult to argue that Bouchard has the more progressive profile of the two. I think she is already the better grass court player. Bouchard's wins against Kerber and Cornet stack up a good deal better than anything that Halep has achieved in their runs to this stage. I am pretty sure nobody is going to take the Lisicki score at face value.

Kvitova can blast anyone off the court but as a backer she is never someone you can rely on with any degree of certainty. If she makes the final I think the likelihood of her sustaining her top level for two sets is pretty small. Chances are whoever her opponent is will get chances at some stage. I think a player like Bouchard might just be gritty enough to take advantage of any lapses.
Report SabineIsGOAT July 3, 2014 11:01 AM BST
Halep's rise only started in May last year
Report differentdrum July 3, 2014 11:07 AM BST
Yes, two seasons would have been more accurate but hopefully most people knew what I was trying to say.
Report RothmanMike July 3, 2014 11:08 AM BST
Though only 2-1 last time they met, I thought Simona beat Bouchard comfortably.
Went on her familiar walk-about in the 2nd set, but at the business end Simona has more power and more speed around the court.
Prediction: 2-1 to Simona again.
Report the silverback July 3, 2014 12:28 PM BST
Does anyone else find Bouchard developing into a somewhat cold character on court? A bit like Sharapova.

I think it's purely a conscious effort to maintain intense focus, but I don't find her particularly likeable these days. But I'm sure she won't be bothered by that.
Report differentdrum July 3, 2014 12:30 PM BST
Halep being backed for this and the outright. Wondering if there is some sort of injury concern for Bouchard?
Report HonkyJoe July 3, 2014 12:35 PM BST
Bouchard is extremely focused.  Cold, quite possibly, and the Sharapova comparison is a good one, since many of Genie's recent quotes are virtually indistinguishable from things Sharapova has said in the past.

Does that make her less likeable?  Quite possibly, but as you say, she won't care too much about that. She 'gets it'. She knows she's there not to have fun, but to train as hard as possible, and she exhibits a steely determination to forge herself into the strongest player out there.

There'll be plenty of opportunity for her to soften and become more 'likeable' as she gets older. But first she wants to wring out every last drop of potential.  Good for her, I say.  And it's not like any of us will be dating her or anything, is it!
Report pedrobob July 3, 2014 12:45 PM BST
She knows she's there not to have fun,

agree with most you say, Joe, though that's a little bit strong. Get the impression she certainly enjoys her tennis..... and winning.
Report Platini July 3, 2014 12:45 PM BST
i find her completely unattractive. she has that bland blonde north american look. many will disagree, but for me, she has zero sex appeal.
Report HonkyJoe July 3, 2014 12:58 PM BST
Not sure I agree with you there Pedro. I'm not saying she doesn't enjoy what she's doing. But some athletes (usually the more successful ones) treat their sports careers more like a business. When they're training, they're there primarily to train.

Most athletes, though, like to find a halfway point between 'work' and 'pleasure'. They'll hit some hard balls, but they also like to keep it light and relaxed, and have a bit of a lark while they're doing it.   

Rather like human beings in general really. Most employed people like to think that they do 'well' at their jobs - if you ask people in a workplace, nearly all of them will rate themselves as above average in terms of their contribution, even though, by definition, a good number of us must be average or below compared to our colleagues.     However, most people aren't prepared to push themselves that yard further in an attempt to sprint ahead of the competition. 

From what Bouchard says, and given the speed with which she's advanced, I suspect she's exactly the type who constantly pushes herself. She might lighten up a bit when she's off-duty, but training for her will essentially be about pushing herself to excel. She may well derive a certain enjoyment (and almost certainly satisfaction) from that. But that enjoyment will be incidental rather than her primary focus.
Report judorick July 3, 2014 12:58 PM BST
she has that demeanour of 'the best looking girl at the disco and knows it'
Report differentdrum July 3, 2014 8:15 PM BST
7-6 6-2 score looks good on paper but I don't think the match came close to living up to expectations. Without doubt Bouchard played much better tennis in her previous matches. She was more nervous than I expected, didn't move that well and her forehand was too often mistimed and lacked any real penetration. Even the backhand was no better than solid. That won't be good enough in the final so although I hadn't expected to have now backed Kvitova to take a smaller profit whatever happens in the final.
Report PugMunter1 July 3, 2014 9:47 PM BST
she is so hot

and i hope she wins on sat

Love
Report Platini July 3, 2014 11:28 PM BST
the likes of Bouchard and Sharapova leave me limp Scared

Sabine and Anna on the other hand LoveLove
Report CASHINVEST July 3, 2014 11:47 PM BST
I WOULD
Report HonkyJoe July 4, 2014 10:48 AM BST
Completely agree with you Drum. That was not a champion's performance out there. Her opponent was basically gone for much of the second set, and she still did her best to melt down. Had Halep woken up towards the end, who knows what would have happened.

In fairness to Bouchard, this is probably the first time she's been in a Slam SF that she felt she had a great chance of winning. Hopefully, for her sake, she won't be so nervous next time she's in a similar situation. And if she can somehow come out of the final as the winner, then you'd think she would cope with the pressure better in the future.

I was surprised, though, at how brittle she was. If she's similarly nervous tomorrow, and Kvitova brings anything close to a decent game, it should be fairly one sided.
Report PugMunter1 July 4, 2014 12:20 PM BST
Report PugMunter1 July 4, 2014 12:20 PM BST
Report johnnythebull July 4, 2014 12:31 PM BST
thing is with these young thaaangs nowadays they are so precocious not just physically but the fact they are earning so much money at such a tender age defo gives them an air of assuredness/arrogance(& why wouldn't it?)that doesn't sit well with everyone
but they are pretty much w/o exception brittle under pressure & can't hold serve 2 save their lives which makes 4 intriguing match ups
didn't like the way eugenie took so long 2 put away a clearly beaten opponent
gonna have 2 step it up a gear between the ears
not massively into WTA but should be a good final
defo will be some swings of fortune
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com