Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
The Bhoys
10 Jan 13 23:11
| Topic/replies: 40,701 | Blogger: The Bhoys's blog
How well is he playing?
Show More
Report CASHINVEST January 10, 2013 11:54 PM GMT
Report powerfan January 11, 2013 8:10 AM GMT
If he beats the Anderson, Tomic will become the first 20-year-old to hoist the trophy since Roger Federer in 2002.

I would say he is playing very well Laugh

I wouldnt get carried away with having a bet on him winning Aust Open - he needs more work in his legs before he can win that/french/us open..............however, ur in the UK, if u can get on one of those silly bets like Tomic can win more slams than Fed before he retires at the silly odds the bet is not as silly as the odds that you will get from the bookies. 

The kid is a f'ken gun and will win multiple slams and I'm not talking 2-3-4 he is winning 10+ how many over 10 depend on what players come through, right ow he is a mile ahead of the rest in his age group and he has the guys just above him (del potro/cilic/raonic) covered for ability.  They are stronger than him now but he has more talent/more shots and you will see when you watch him he is getting stronger each year, moving better each year and his serve has gone up a few notches, a lot of free points for him there. 

The other big improvement in his game is his forehand ends points now. Before he used it more as a surprise weapon because he couldn't stand there trading blows he would get outhit........He ends points with it now like you'd want him to.

He is right on track to being world number 1.  When he is 24 he will be unbeatable.
Report Joel January 11, 2013 9:21 AM GMT
Could possibly win 40+ slams
Report powerfan January 11, 2013 9:36 AM GMT
matches sure no doubt Joel.

Even money to win 12 slams (Health and fitness the only danger)............He is going to own the world of tennis for a good 5-6 yrs (24-30), now what happens regarding injuries who knows.

Right now, there is no new kid on the block that you see will challenge him - he is the new kid on the block....He is the clear heir to the throne when you take out the current top 4.....he's the one that can take over and stay at the top for as long as he stays healthy.

And the reason he will stay at the top for an extended period of time is that he plays shots, he isnt a ball fetcher like chang, courier, hewitt, nadal, djokovic, murray.
Report xcggf January 11, 2013 12:43 PM GMT
there is dimitrov in his age as well... and his backhand and foot work has lot to improve. i can see him in top 10 even close to the big four, but be unbeatable as fed was from 2005-2008 i cannot.

unfortunately  he will meet fed in the 3 round and gonna get another tennis lesson from him. otherwise with a more lucky draw he could go far and make a nice green in outright market.
Report powerfan January 11, 2013 2:15 PM GMT
but be unbeatable as fed was from 2005-2008 i cannot.

You are looking at Tomic today when he is 20 and thinking player today is player in 4 yrs time. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  He will be stronger, Much better serve and bigger forehand, backhand is already world class. 

He is 6'4" his body is still like a boy.........when he is a man he will dominate.

For Tomic it is not just power or chasing the ball like nadal/djokovic/murray......he knows how to play tennis just like Federer. 

there is dimitrov in his age as well

He hasnt really taken the next step against men yet......The most famous thing he has done in Tennis is go out with Serena Williams......Excited u can join the dots on that one yourself.
Report aaronh January 11, 2013 3:41 PM GMT
^^ or possibly the most famous thing he has now done is Maria Sharapova Surprised
Report ;[p January 11, 2013 4:35 PM GMT
i like deluded fans like myself so respect.Excited

maybe boy will win tournament first  andcthen we will start multiple slams coronation.

+ 10 slas already ehhehe nice one Laugh

boy need to work his way up in the ranks first to even have look at semifinals direcrtion

"And the reason he will stay at the top for an extended period of time is that he plays shots, he isnt a ball fetcher like chang, courier, hewitt, nadal, djokovic, murray."

you are wrong here, players who are based on defence are dominating this sport, they are more consistent and offensively are not bad either. federer is dinosaur of twnnis right now,and exen him is/ was more often dominated by defensive minded nadal or even djokovic and recently mugray.
top 5 playersr are 4 excelent defenders plus federer.
without excellent defensive skills Berny may have shot on couple of plates/ cups (if will get to the position we could consider that) but can not constantly dominate .

but saying that if to consider that there is not much of a talent comming through apart of muzza and gluten  tomic may as well hit on the dry times  in ATP  in future and achieve your goal. so goos luck to him and his fans. keep believingExcited
Report AFL January 11, 2013 7:56 PM GMT
A new Federer would dominate today's tennis, or at least be number 1. No doubt about it.

His unmatched attacking skills with suitable defensive skills would over-ride the advantage of defence.

Tomic (allowing for improvement) is the only one in the new crop that comes close to Feds attacking skills and this crop of  defenders will slow down over time. Wink
Report The Bhoys January 11, 2013 8:01 PM GMT
i disagree, djocko and nadal wen fit are as good as fed in his prime if not better and muzza has improved greatly
Report AFL January 11, 2013 8:08 PM GMT
Attack will beat defence.....you can't defend a nuclear attack.....the attacker will just invent new bombs, (shots not played by anyone else)...attack rules.

Tomic will rule. Laugh
Report AFL January 11, 2013 8:09 PM GMT
Feds record is better than all those players.
Report ;[p January 11, 2013 8:25 PM GMT
tonic is not fed GrinDevil

but i believe in him good he has passionate fans maybe he will grow up and change his attitude then who knows... its a bit boring out there right now
Report AFL January 11, 2013 8:35 PM GMT
Yes it is boring out there. That is why it is like a breath of fresh air that he doesn't have the same game as the big defenders.

It stood out at the aus open at 18 yo....when he played cilic or someone, and Tomic took the pace out of the match and lulled his opponent into his game.

They kept dinking it back and forth no pace....point after point...it was obvious from that point that Tomic stood out as someone that did not conform to what was expected.

He is a star in the making. Watch and enjoy.
Report AFL January 11, 2013 8:53 PM GMT
He has openly acknowledged that his mental application let him down last year, and was part of the improvement needed to become a better player. He has shown so far this year that he is a quick learner.
Report nofx January 11, 2013 9:29 PM GMT
The baby Fed that could, who was on the receiving end of four bagels in nine matches prior to his defeat of glutovic in exhibition, is now dead on multiple slam winner and will become unbeatable in no less than three years. i seriously gotta stop missing these atp matches.. Excited but much kudos i really hope you get your I-told-you-so-mugs! thread Excited
Report ;[p January 11, 2013 9:45 PM GMT
Wink this is all happening nofx Grin tbh this bobble bagel has softened me up

AFL

He has openly acknowledged that his mental application let him down last year, and was part of the improvement needed to become a better player. He has shown so far this year that he is a quick learner.

good to hear, pretty similar  to rayan harrison  declaration that from now on he will start to play for his opponents weaknesses Grin

seriously,hes still young too much expectations on him if he can overtake that it will only give him some strengths and make him wiser buts not easy chip on the shoulder for young cocky guy as tonic is, lets hope he is tru sports man and fame wont destruct his progress
Report powerfan January 11, 2013 11:08 PM GMT
@nofx

Ur talkin about a boy unfit to play on the ATP against men.

Last year Florian Mayer Destroyed him 2x....6-4, 6-0 and 6-4, 6-2, 6-3, those scores are a good old fashioned hiding............he beat him the other day. 7-6,6-2.

That's some turnaround on the scoreboard in a short space of time. What do you think that last scoreboard might look like with 4 more years of improvement for Tomic?
Report ;[p January 11, 2013 11:23 PM GMT
an you explain this sentece bit more coz i dont gett it tbh

If he beats the Anderson, Tomic will become the first 20-year-old to hoist the trophy since Roger Federer in 2002.

thanks
Report ;[p January 11, 2013 11:24 PM GMT
can you explain this sentence*   damn keyboaRD
Report AFL January 11, 2013 11:33 PM GMT
It means he will be the best player since FED. Wink
Report lurka January 11, 2013 11:36 PM GMT
always thought Tomic lacked application and attitude. He is not as good as Nadal or Fed were at his age. 10 slams? Please. But if he did go out with serena, he has already shown that he can mix it with a real man Tongue Out
Report nofx January 11, 2013 11:37 PM GMT
powerfan, I was talking about things that happened in the last couple of months. those scores mean nothing tbh they can happen with two players in as much as a week and not really making an argument one way or the other, by this logic he will beat him 6-0 6-0 whenever they play in future. anyway. also in my opinion boys don't grow up in the course of a couple of months except may be when experiencing great tragedy but that's a whole'nother matter anyway my point, if any, was a few consecutive wins and we're back on the baby fed and who is the future goatest of them all discussion. anyway
Happy
Report powerfan January 11, 2013 11:38 PM GMT
Federer won Sydney tournament when he was 20.........Tomic is in final and he is 20
Report ;[p January 11, 2013 11:52 PM GMT
ahh i got it i thought you mean he would be the first 20 yrs old player to win ATP title since federer in 2002 got first one

my response would be rafael nadal won first title at the age 18 in, by the age of 20 he already won 2 grand slam titles and overall 17 titles on all surfaces apart of grass,many of them major masters series titles(so far nadal 11)

djokovic at the age of 20 already won 5 titles including so called 5th slam Miami title

year later he won his first grand slam in australia (so far 5 slams)

murray had 2 titles

and all happened in arguably the greatest era of tennis

good luck for tomic but claiming +10 slams its a bit laugh atm and  if there is market at evens with tomic under 12 slams,man thats a long distance free money shout

tonic have talent no doubt but hes headcase, is he better than berdych, quite similar physicality and shot making abilities ,how many slams berdy won? was in one final
Report powerfan January 12, 2013 12:12 AM GMT
@nofx

he didnt grow up in a cpl months................his tired boys body had time to recover. He got a little fitter,stronger,improved his serve with some more oomph by simply spending time training instead of being on the tour where i dare say it just got all too hard for him, tired, lacking confidence from losing, probably couldnt wait for the year to end to get home and have a break.........a learning curve and interesting to note he already came out this year and said he is playing 3 tournaments in a row max.

The game has changed, today it is more physical and until he is strong enough he will continue to fade away as the year goes on.

Every year he comes to the Australian Open and he has improved from the last time we saw him.  The very first time everyone saw him was, "wow, this kid can play but phuck me he moves like a crab, he is not going to make it unless he can move better than that.....he still needed more work on movement the second yr we saw him.....3rd yr it was, hang on, he isnt moving too bad here, i'm surprised............he keeps getting better.

He is never going to move like a djokovic or nadal.......but he is moving better than a delpotro and cilic who are both around his height.

Common sense, There is no doubt he is in the top 10 sooner or later........the top 4, they arent going to be around forever, you could say, when he is 24 he will be taking over the #1 spot by default if you like...In terms of ability i think he is clearly ahead of the guys 3 yrs older than him and obviously everyone younger than him...Now you sit back and watch how much he improves over the next 4 yrs whether he is going to dominate the game for an extended period of time like Federer did.
Report AFL January 12, 2013 12:22 AM GMT
Headcase.Laugh      ..McEnroe was a headcase.

Tomic brain and match sense biggest asset. Wink
Report ;[p January 12, 2013 12:25 AM GMT
sorry i miscalculated i counted them titles by the age of 19 Blush
correct is

nadal by the end of his 20 th year :

hadal 22 titles   multi masters 3 slams

djokovic had 10 titles, masters and one slam win

murray 5 titles

federer 3 titles

delpotro  7 titles including one slam

cilic 3 titles
Report ;[p January 12, 2013 12:34 AM GMT
tomic brain? hes a nutterExcited dont get me wrong have seen him few times in some strange matches like he was leading and suddenly throwing match away having some kind of brain eclipse

im far from giving some long term judgements on the young guy but to me he seems to me little bit like murray in therms of mentality, long way until he dominate anything

sp far it will be good if he will get somwher near top 30 but long way still till he actually starts winning, without progress in rankings he wont do anything, and hes not on the level of guys 3 yrs older, delpotro....man cilic  or even raonic(same age) are different league
Report nofx January 12, 2013 12:38 AM GMT
i like your optimistic thinking but if he is to take it by default in a year or 4 like you say then that says a lot about the mens game i'm afraid and very little about tonic. if it's all the same to you i'm not going to sit back and put my retirement fund on him just yet. also i would like to advise you to watch Del Juan matching Ferrer and Nadal playing on their favourite surface before making any more comparison to your boy
Report aaronh January 12, 2013 4:06 PM GMT
Report ;[p January 12, 2013 5:59 PM GMT
one done ,11 to goHappy

Report HARRY22 January 12, 2013 6:06 PM GMT
^ the peoples champ
Report ArmchairIdiot January 13, 2013 3:19 AM GMT
Always been a big admirer of this kids talent. So much scope. People were saying on this board last year that he isnt a patch on the likes of Raonic and Dolgo (fcking DOLGOPOLOV!! Laugh) and they'll have better careers. Clueless.
Report ArmchairIdiot January 13, 2013 3:24 AM GMT
He lost it mentally - nothing more - which is common in young prodigious talent, and has had to regroup, but they always come back stronger. It happens all the time in sport.
Report jin_kazz January 13, 2013 6:24 PM GMT
i knew this guy

it's a spoiled brat!
Report AFL January 13, 2013 7:41 PM GMT
He speaks highly of you too.
Report jin_kazz January 13, 2013 8:42 PM GMT
and cheater also
Report AFL January 13, 2013 9:45 PM GMT
LOL.....it's best if you don't hold grudges.....especially if you are a gambler.

Good luck on the punt anyway. Wink
Report jin_kazz January 13, 2013 11:54 PM GMT

Report jin_kazz January 13, 2013 11:56 PM GMT
i hate cheaters and liars

sorry if you like this spoiled brat
Report AFL January 14, 2013 12:16 AM GMT
He is not a spoiled brat......That's a lie.

HE is not a cheat..........That's a lie also.
Report jin_kazz January 14, 2013 2:42 PM GMT
he's a spoiled brat, liar and cheater. and i show you the proof about last 2 titles. you probably don't understand what i show you. you're not a fan of tomic if you didn't watch that match.

even stosur knows that tomic is a spolied brat: http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-sport-blog/stosur-tomic-needs-to-grow-up/20121205-2au32.html

end of the story.

liar. cheater. spoiled brat.
Report Wildone January 14, 2013 3:29 PM GMT
ha ha, I heard there was some comment about making top 10 quickly.

etc...

hopefully he is just ramping Aussie tennis and his own marketing.

if he actually believes what he is saying he could be in for a reality dose in the short termCool
Report jin_kazz January 14, 2013 3:48 PM GMT
ps: but his personal qualities aren't stopping me from backing him tbh. he can be the biggeat bastard on earth but i don't care if this mug brings me money.
Report Wildone January 14, 2013 3:52 PM GMT
yeah I have been laying him and will open up when the value presents.

I was kinda hoping Hewitt could get into his match a bit ore before I could lay him too.

cross fingers juicy odds for a fed match.

Love to see the bookies, they want want you backing Tomic and they won't want you backing Fed eitherLaugh
Report Argonaut January 14, 2013 5:56 PM GMT
He might have plenty of trouble with the German qualifier, Brands before Fed.
Report The Bhoys January 14, 2013 8:16 PM GMT
was mouthing off a bit about fed. wat price would u expect fed if they meet? 1.15?
Report jin_kazz January 14, 2013 8:25 PM GMT

Jan 14, 2013 -- 1:53PM, AFL wrote:

Jin Kaz....That's only Stousur's opinion.. Telling a 20yo to grow up..lol Made some bad decisions , like she never has..lol None the less all good advice. She didn't call him a liar and a cheat or a spoiled brat. ps: but his personal qualities aren't stopping me from backing him tbh.Interesting that you admit you would make money from a cheat though. By backing a known cheat to win. After all you know for a fact that he is a cheat, and he wins by cheating, so that makes you a cheat as well, by trying to profit from a cheat. Unless of course you returned your winnings to Betfair because you felt that you cheated the person that opposed your bet unfairly out of their money by knowingly backing a cheat.  I guess that makes you a cheat as well.

we're all cheats 'coz we wanna earn fast money. but not everyone can cheat life.

he's not cheating in every match. you're making things very common.

he's still young, he have a chance to improve. he can choose right way and forget about his cheating habbits.

but the chance of this is not very big. if he's such a bastard now then he can became even bigger bastard in the future. it's his life. he decides how to live it.

Report AFL January 14, 2013 8:42 PM GMT
I told a lie once.....but i'm a liar, so who would believe me? Wink
Report AFL January 14, 2013 8:48 PM GMT
Media beat-up about a dig at Fed...imo.

He just stated the obvious...that Fed has to get to the third round himself as well, anything can happen..lol.

The same as Fed said about him. The same as Fed says about himself....everytime they ask him to look ahead in the draw. Wink
Report AFL January 14, 2013 9:02 PM GMT
It was interesting to watch his acceptance speech from last week when he won his first title. The first thing he said was that it was an honour to win the title in front of...and on the court named after Mr ROSEWALL.

Mr Rosewall not Ken....hardly the words of a spoilt upstart with no respect that some people try and paint him as. imo.
Report shiraz February 11, 2013 5:44 PM GMT
Update as of 11 Feb 2013. 

19 January Federer knocks him out of AO in straight sets.

then

Booked for speeding AGAIN in some fancy car on the Gold Coast (probably loss of licence).

Next match is 11 February in Rotterdam 500 tournament and he loses in first round to Dimitrov.
Report sosa jr February 12, 2013 11:10 AM GMT
It was interesting to watch his acceptance speech from last week when he won his first title. The first thing he said was that it was an honour to win the title in front of...and on the court named after Mr ROSEWALL.

Mr Rosewall not Ken....hardly the words of a spoilt upstart with no respect that some people try and paint him as. imo

haha more like tomic didnt know Mr Rosewalls first name was Ken. If he'd of said ''muscles'' then id know he had some respect and one the research
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com