Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Cooee
06 Jul 12 19:14
| Topic/replies: 3,395 | Blogger: Cooee's blog
Murray will like the match-up with Federer. He's got a strong record against him. Djokovic is a much harder opponent for Murray to play.

Erm... What????   Murray has been schooled by Federer every time they've met in a Slam. He had early success against Fed in the smaller tournaments, when Fed couldn't give one and a half hoots.  But in a slam???

And it's quite possible to argue that Murray's game is actually quite well suited to taking on Djoko - even though his slam record against him is also, obviously, fairly poor.

Is this supposed to be incisive analysis from Henman?????
Show More
Report tenniso July 6, 2012 7:25 PM BST
Henman just getting caught up in the moment but he can't win on this being British and not getting that far himself.  He cannot really say Fed is a much tougher opponent than Djoko given their record in slams.  They should ask Boris, at least he can get away with giving an answer that is not at all PC.
Report Platini July 6, 2012 7:30 PM BST
before the tournament started, it would have been a fair and accurate statement.
Report Mourinho_of_gambling July 6, 2012 7:32 PM BST
Yeah but Federer is older now, the 2 players aren't exactly the same plus Federer is also under pressure if he doesn't win this he'll probably never win another.
Report Cooee July 6, 2012 7:37 PM BST
Murray, obviously, will feel under no pressure at all.....
Report erse2 July 6, 2012 7:37 PM BST
federer is the next stephen hendry... federer still has pressure to have a record-breaking 7th title.
Report berto77 July 6, 2012 7:38 PM BST
I agree with Henman.  Think he's got a bigger mental block with Djoko.  Fed was superb in quarters and today but hardly invincible v Benneteau and Malisse.
Report Cooee July 6, 2012 7:39 PM BST
Of course Federer will have some pressure on him. But he'll also be pretty happy he's playing Murray, a player he'll feel he has in his pocket when it comes to slams.
Report Zach_Johnson July 6, 2012 7:39 PM BST
If Federer is the next Stephen Hendry, let's just hope Murray isn't the next Jimmy White with a whole host of disappointing final appearances Laugh
Report Cooee July 6, 2012 7:40 PM BST
True Berto, but Fed tends to get stronger as the tournament goes on. He's very unlikely to produce a Malissesque performance against Murray.
Report berto77 July 6, 2012 7:43 PM BST
Agree and he had his back problem of course.  Just think Murray will prefer Fed to Djoko.
Report maggot July 6, 2012 7:47 PM BST
I think that Tim made a fair point.

Murray would much rather play Fed than Djok. Fact.
Report Platini July 6, 2012 7:49 PM BST
Would be epic to see how Fed tried to disguise his disgust if he somehow lost to Murray here. He absolutely loathes Murray.

Shame it's not gonna happen.
Report Mourinho_of_gambling July 6, 2012 7:52 PM BST
If Feds back problems come back and aid a Murray win, it would truly be the most amazing turn of events almost freakish what has happened to help Murray this tournament.
Report Cooee July 6, 2012 7:57 PM BST
Well perhaps he would prefer Federer, but I don't think Murray's 'good record' against Fed should really be a major factor. The record in non-slam tournaments is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to Murray playing one of the top three. Murray generally loses the big matches to Fed though, so the H2H in non-slams becomes almost irrelevant.

Incidentally, Murray and Djokovic are tied 2-2 over the last four matches they've played against each other. Does that mean they ought to be evens if they played each other?

If I was Murray, I would actually have preferred to play Djoko. I'm not sure Novak's got the Djokobot lever within easy reach at the moment, and Murray's game does match up pretty well to his. If Murray was confident and tough, he'd have a decent chance against a rather inconsistent Djoko.
Report telepathic July 6, 2012 7:57 PM BST
Yes hes beaten only six good opponents, how lucky can you get -the S hIte talked on this forum!!!!
Report berto77 July 6, 2012 8:01 PM BST
Fair point about the H2H records Cooee.  As you say, his record versus both in slams is poor.
Report Cooee July 6, 2012 8:03 PM BST
Murray deserves to be in the final. He's the only SF who's beaten two top-20 players - indeed, the only one to have beaten two top-6 players!   Fed and Djoko got to their SF without having to take on a single player inside the Top 20!    So Murray wasn't as lucky as all that.         Fed, though, will be a step too far for him.
Report A_T July 6, 2012 8:21 PM BST
Tough job ahead for Murray. Don't forget he's performed badly in all his slam finals so far - why should this change on Sunday? Pressure will be immense.

Federer must be ecstatic at the moment - he's reached another slam final and it's not Rafael Nadal between him and the title.
Report ClayDavis July 6, 2012 8:33 PM BST
Berdy, Tsonga, Del Po - why oh why do people think Federer is a cert. You guys know nothing about tennis if you think Murray can't beat Fed
Report PriceLies July 6, 2012 8:36 PM BST
You guys still believe Fed has a back problem??LaughLaugh
He'll probably take a leaf out of Murray's book in the final though and fein injury.
Report mafeking July 6, 2012 8:46 PM BST
of course he'd prefer fed all day long. he's nearly 31, obviously still very good but way past his 2005/2006 peak.

how likely is it that he will get a chance to win a slam in the next couple of years without having to beat either nadal or djoko ?
Report Roger De Bris July 6, 2012 8:54 PM BST
Federer looked like King Kong today.
Report dreamboy July 6, 2012 8:57 PM BST
murray hardly has an awful slam record against djoko, ok he got caned in the oz final last year when djok was playing unbelievably, but he came within a whisker of beating him at the oz this year, more than he's ever done against fed in a slam.

I always feel that playing nadal or djokovic in a big match is more likely to bring out the best in murray coz he's more inclined to play much more aggressively against those 2 whereas against fed he's more likely to go back into his defensive shell. He'd also get far more looks at djokovic's serve and have the entire crowd on his side, which won't be the case against fed.

Having said that i still think he's got a chance, pressure definitely got to fed in his last wimby final against roddick and if he reproduces that form i fully expect murray to take advantage.
Report ;[p July 6, 2012 9:18 PM BST
timbo is a mug analyst he said in the sun today that murray is fav  against federer

Crazy
Report CherylCole July 6, 2012 11:03 PM BST
Henman made some interesting comments to the Guardian prior to the Tsonga match

'I will go and see him beforehand and wish him good luck," Henman said, looking down on the green lawns from the roof of the BBC compound, which is his workplace for a fortnight every summer. "I have chatted to him a bit. But he has his team around him and I speak to him as a friend, not someone wanting to give input. I know what it is like on the other side of the fence. There are so many opinions coming in, and the last thing you want is another one."

He will not weigh him down with talk of winning the title. "The only thing he is focusing on is the way that he wants to play Tsonga. The gameplan for him is much more straightforward. The gameplan for Ferrer [whom he beat in four sets in the quarters] was hard: how do you break him down? He is so good. And Andy did such a good job of that. Against Tsonga it is a bit more clearcut: just keep doing what you are doing. His attitude has been great, he served very well at the right times [against Ferrer] and his percentages were going up towards the end of the match, which is pretty rare. Keep being aggressive with the two-handed backhand; it is one of the best in the game. Against [Marin] Cilic, when it looked like it was going to rain, he was like, 'I better hurry up here', and he just started hitting winners. I know if I had a backhand like that I would try and hit winners every time."

You could sense the frustration in Henman's voice. "We do go back quite a long way. I have really enjoyed watching these scenarios unfold, having been through this process myself. I do think he is better equipped to go further, because he is a better player than I ever was. Those atmospheres and the matches on Centre Court … the roof adds a different element to it. It is great to see him playing so well at the right time because there was obviously a lot of chat beforehand about his back and his loss of form, losing in the first round at Queen's. He has done such a good job of maintaining his focus and composure away from his matches. I can remember times when there is so much speculation but he has put himself in a good position there."

Like many former players in commentary boxes, Henman was hard on Murray over the "drama queen" interlude. He has come to recognise he is more the King of Drama – and he thinks Lendl has been crucial in that process.

"I can imagine it is not that easy to shout and scream at someone like Ivan. I don't think he would hang around long. But I also think that Andy has matured. This isn't new to him, he has played a lot of tennis now, he is 25. It is one of those areas where he understands that it just doesn't do him any favours. When you are playing matches, with the demands both mentally and physically, you can't waste it. He has three unbelievable examples of players in front of him in Djokovic, Nadal and Federer who don't do it, and he has probably learned from them as well.

"When you have someone in your corner who has been to 20 grand slam finals and who lost his first four, just that voice of wisdom and reassurance for Andy will be great to have. I really hope he can take advantage of that. It will be great to throw something different into the equation. He has got a new coach in his corner and if he were to get to the final then I think that would be a big advantage for him."

"I think he's been a bit unfortunate with the way things panned out in the early days with the England/Scotland thing. But he's a phenomenal player and a really, really good person. I hope that people can, if there is a question mark in their mind, really get behind him. This is an unbelievable opportunity for him."

"I've heard Fred Perry and Bunny Austin talked about for long enough," he said, "and I'd be pretty happy for that conversation to end."
Report chelters16 July 6, 2012 11:33 PM BST
I like Tim a fine player and a gentleman, a man born out of his time ah empire indeed eh !
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com