Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
crepello
18 Apr 17 05:55
| Topic/replies: 1,727 | Blogger: crepello's blog
His performance in the Lu/Brecel match last night was excruciatingly bad - he was struggling to find anything to say ...........
Pause Switch to Standard View Steve Davis - Commentator
Show More
Report ccd April 18, 2017 1:42 PM BST
He is back in the studio today - thank goodness. I was spending more time trying to work out what he was struggling to express about each shot than actually watching the action.
Report gobelins April 18, 2017 7:08 PM BST
He comes from the D.Taylor school of commentary. Talks, talks and talks but doesn't actually say anything. The most annoying thing is that he tries to make the audience laugh - and if the commentators would have done that when he was the governor he'd have gone beserk.
Report the stunning April 18, 2017 8:25 PM BST
Spot on Gobelins.Both just love the sound of their own voices,absolutely destroy a game for me.I ended up watching the game on B365 last night with no commentary....bliss.Have no problem with the rest of the guys but Davis and Tayor are the worst duo of any commentry of ANY sport on the box,no contest.How refreshing it was to hear Hendrys thoughts on could he see Wenbo win the worlds- No,simple as.
Report mitch leary April 18, 2017 8:34 PM BST
I hate hendry but he's a very good commentator. Virgos good but the rest are pure muck. Doherty never shuts up. Thorne always has a bet on his mind. It's already been said about Taylor and Davis. Parrot is a proper clown.
Report BornToWin April 18, 2017 10:15 PM BST
The nugget is woeful, get his spitting image puppet in would be sure to do a better job.

And teamed up with the buffoon Dennis this is utter hell.

Locking them in the box and releasing 5000 miffed wasps would be too good for them.
Report ccd April 23, 2017 3:56 PM BST
Perhaps a little better from Davis this afternoon - economy is the key. He was talking about the pockets playing easier as the slate-drop is chamfered  rather than cut at 90%, a view Parroted by Parrot.
Report ccd April 23, 2017 4:01 PM BST
Although I think the 'miffed wasps' should still be sent for...
Report gentlemanjohn April 23, 2017 4:12 PM BST
Did he actually use the word chamfered...i had to look that up. The other day he was talking about it being "bevilled". Why cant he just say "cut" like any normal human being?
Report gobelins April 23, 2017 4:42 PM BST
The BBC are educating the masses gj, through S.Davis's musings as their charter says they should!
Report gentlemanjohn April 23, 2017 4:55 PM BST
Nobody pays any heed to the bbc gobe, otherwise there wouldn't be any Brexit.

I just want the man to speak in plain language, not as if he's attending a table fitters conference. Not much to ask, is it?
Report ccd April 23, 2017 5:33 PM BST
I was never any good at CDT at school. The idea is the slate slopes down which changes the way the ball reacts to the cloth as it approaches the drop making it more likely to drop in. I wonder if the sponsors are behind this bizarre alteration to conditions - money talks.
Report ccd April 23, 2017 5:34 PM BST
Some of these reds are more prone to dropping than Sunderland...
Report gobelins April 23, 2017 6:35 PM BST
I still respect the BBC gj, no choice with them still having The UK, The Masters and The World. If they ever lose the snooker then I'll put the boot in with the best of them.

ccd - this is strictly a no football forum. Please respect this sir.
Report crepello April 23, 2017 6:45 PM BST
gentlemanjohn    23 Apr 17 16:12 
Did he actually use the word chamfered...i had to look that up. The other day he was talking about it being "bevilled". Why cant he just say "cut" like any normal human being?

Sad reflection on education in the uk - the words used by Davis were correct ......
Report gentlemanjohn April 23, 2017 7:04 PM BST
Nobody said they were incorrect, sad reflection of your reading comprehension

gobe, i'm as much a traditionalist as the next man, snooker on the beeb is as important to me as breathing air. Hate their cliquey commentary set up, but fact is tournaments have a certain status and atmosphere on the bbc that they would not have on a rival channel. Terrible inconvenience not having the red button!
Report gobelins April 23, 2017 7:19 PM BST
crepello - words like chamfered and bevilled are the sort of words that 'call my bluff' enthusiasts may fawn over, but the general public have no idea what they mean. Perhaps you went to Eton, or some similar superior educational establishment, if these are words you are familiar with or you use in your general vocabulary?
Report crepello April 23, 2017 8:53 PM BST
gobelins

Well, that surprises me - no, I did not go to Eton - I am a miner's son from the North East .......

I would have thought the average Joe would understand those words but it looks like I am mistaken and I do apologise ....
Report ccd April 24, 2017 10:39 AM BST
Jo Johnson gives his view on the pockets at 1.13 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsCKl8_lViY
Report peckerdunne April 24, 2017 1:59 PM BST
My dad use to say

Son, your best friend is your pocket, and how right he was............Grin
Report ccd April 24, 2017 2:12 PM BST
My Dad used to say

Son, keep your hand on yer ha'penny.
Report peckerdunne April 24, 2017 2:13 PM BST
Grin Must be Yorkie territory..........
Report ccd April 24, 2017 2:14 PM BST
No, West London.
Report gentlemanjohn April 24, 2017 3:17 PM BST
In fairness to Joe Johnson sounds like he's half chamfered himself most of the time, like he's had a few bevils before coming on air. Just stating the obvious after years ignoring it.
Report macrocky April 24, 2017 4:16 PM BST
Has anyone anything good to say. Glass half empty rather than half full seems to be
Report dlarssonf April 24, 2017 4:31 PM BST
The glass is lovely
Report asparagus April 25, 2017 2:35 PM BST
Taylor is excellent imo. In general the BBC commentators are different class. Eurosport very poor by comparison.
Report crepello April 25, 2017 3:30 PM BST
How tastes differ - I have never forgiven Davis for missing that black in 1985 - if he had potted it we would have heard no more from this awful commentator .......
Report BornToWin April 25, 2017 4:45 PM BST
Couldn't agree more crep, I never miss an opportunity to say it on here.

As if his little stories of his own experiences of the players (me, me, me) were not enough, his $hite comedy (look at meeee) disrupting the crowds is unforgivable.
Report Baulkline April 25, 2017 10:08 PM BST
My opinion, for what it's worth is the rubber on the pockets has been chamfered to an acute angle, thus making it easier for the ball to drop in.
Shots along the cushion should never go in if the ball hits the cushion before the it reaches the pocket.
Report Baulkline April 25, 2017 10:17 PM BST
Perhaps the BBC could ask a Table Fitter to demonstrate how the cushion rubbers are cut. I won't hold my breath though.
Report peckerdunne April 25, 2017 10:26 PM BST
they are cut away...........
Report BornToWin April 25, 2017 10:30 PM BST
Unlike in my club, the rubbers are all brand new and on extra fine cloths. The extra fine cloth promotes forward motion to continue whilst bouncing on the new rubbers. Whereas on shyte club tables the rubber is dead/the cloth months or years old and they get rejected, on these tables they find a way in.
Report ccd April 26, 2017 6:01 AM BST
I played on a table in Sofia,m Bulgaria with a very old cloth that was so thin it was almost no nap - I was 100% more accurate on that table. Then they changed the cloth and it felt like banging ping pong balls along a shag pile carpet.
Report ccd April 26, 2017 6:03 AM BST
I think there is a lot of value in snooker clubs putting fine cloths on as players enjoy playing well and want to come back again - I used to play every day on that table in Bulgaria - I loved it!
Report johnnythebull April 26, 2017 8:40 AM BST
banging ping pong balls along a shag pile carpet
descriptive analogyGrin
Report ccd April 26, 2017 9:32 AM BST
That's actually how I put it to the staff there as I recall. Blank looks.
Report FatherMaguire April 26, 2017 6:37 PM BST
Agree with Crepello - after 30 yrs of watching snooker on the Beeb, I now exclusively watch it on ITV4 and Eurosport to avoid Taylor - he's appalling
Report harry callaghan April 26, 2017 7:46 PM BST
davis was the pundit last night with nothing but boring things to say, tonight we have the same boredom with ebdon and davis commentating to bore us even more with willie betting in running and he has clearly backed maguire...a great night in prospect
Report thegiggilo April 26, 2017 7:48 PM BST
Ebdon dresses and talks like a banker,him and davis must be the most boring numbskulls to grace commentsry..
Report harry callaghan April 26, 2017 7:52 PM BST
listening to willie he made the trade at the end of the last frameGrin
Report moondan April 27, 2017 8:28 AM BST
Giggs
You missed out Parrot.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com