Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
RugbyMan
23 Mar 12 22:31
| Topic/replies: 25,636 | Blogger: RugbyMan's blog
New Zealand's Paddy O'Brien has been given the boot as head of the IRB referees.

The IRB is set to announce on Monday O'Brien will be appointed head of the IRB Sevens series.

The BBC's Alistair Eayken says there will be a big clear out at the IRB with New Zealand's Bryce Lawrence, and England's Dave Pearson and Wayne Barnes to be demoted from the tier one panel.

Bit harsh on Barnes I think, he's one of a number who have edged towards the negative over the past few years along with the likes of Owens, Clancy etc. Can't find any excuses for Lawrence and Pearson though - both get involved in too many farces.

I like the O'Brien news though. How he lasted so long I do not know.
Pause Switch to Standard View Paddy O'Brien sacked
Show More
Report pacficrc March 23, 2012 9:34 PM GMT
If what you wrote in italics is correct, it can only be good for the game.
Report RugbyMan March 23, 2012 9:40 PM GMT
only 1 link I can find

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=145269&fm=newsmain,nrhl

Just happened so should be more to come.
Report furrelli March 23, 2012 9:43 PM GMT
rumours earlier, will be a ? how it'll impact tbh
Report itcanbedone March 23, 2012 9:43 PM GMT
I have heard a whisper that Alain Rolland will be moving upstairs and taking over as Head Honcho with a mandate to overhaul the system.
Report furrelli March 23, 2012 9:44 PM GMT
Laugh fecking WUM feck arf
Report RugbyMan March 23, 2012 9:48 PM GMT
That wouldn't actually surprise me.

I can't even say I wouldn't consider it an improvement.
Report pacficrc March 23, 2012 9:53 PM GMT
God help Wales with their penchant for tip tackles !! Laugh
Report GPT March 24, 2012 9:53 AM GMT
Could spell trouble for the Irish gougersWink
Report ballaman68 March 24, 2012 11:38 AM GMT
Official line will be that he wasnt sacked but retired to take over the 7s programme.

personally im suprised that he wasnt retired earlier, way to outspoken and critical of the refs in public.

suprised that barnes was dropped, he may not be a favourite of the Irish but hes still a good ref.

will be interesting to see who is promoted.
Report mrtopnotch March 24, 2012 12:22 PM GMT
Committee of four people to take over from POB (two SH two NH)

Lyndon Bray, Tappe Henning (both SANZAR), Donal Courtney and Clayton Thomas (both 6 Nations), will now meet four times per year and make selections for the next international window with all performances reviewed as part of the next round of international selections.

The elite refs are George Clancy (Ireland), Jérôme Garcès (France), Craig Joubert (South Africa), Nigel Owens (Wales), Jaco Peyper (South Africa), Chris Pollock (New Zealand), Romain Poite (France), Alain Rolland (Ireland) and Steve Walsh (Australia).

Rumour has it Blind Dave took Barnes with him to tier two, with the spear assault on Ryan only getting a yellow Wink
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com