Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sageform
09 Feb 20 08:45
| Topic/replies: 21,462 | Blogger: sageform's blog
If the three main parties got 22% each, what happened to the other 34%?
Pause Switch to Standard View Irish election
Show More
Report peckerdunne February 9, 2020 8:12 PM GMT
A He is to remain as leader of F/G

B He is a doctor

C He is a gay Indian with other priorities
Report thegiggilo February 9, 2020 10:16 PM GMT
Combined vote of Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil:

1977 - 81.1%
1989 - 73.5%
2007 - 68.9%
2020 - 44.6%

The right on the wain,you love to see it..
Report impossible123 February 9, 2020 10:31 PM GMT
To remain an opposition leader with little hope of being PM for a long while is not be his cup of tea after gaining and tasting the importance of a politician in highest office because of Brexit; many doctors have been known to give up a career in medicine for politics, and still doing so esp in British politics. And, I do not get why a gay politician of Indian origin could not be accepted in The EU.
Report politicspunter February 9, 2020 10:37 PM GMT
It's clear that the Irish electorate didn't give a hoot about Brexit. Only 3% said that was the most important issue when voting.
Report peckerdunne February 9, 2020 11:18 PM GMT
impossible123 09 Feb 20 22:31 Joined: 07 Sep 15 | Topic/replies: 14,385 | Blogger: impossible123's blog
To remain an opposition leader with little hope of being PM for a long while is not be his cup of tea after gaining and tasting the importance of a politician in highest office because of Brexit; many doctors have been known to give up a career in medicine for politics, and still doing so esp in British politics. And, I do not get why a gay politician of Indian origin could not be accepted in The EU.
Report peckerdunne February 9, 2020 11:19 PM GMT
perhaps you get what he said, i am staying on...

As for acceptance in the EU, i have no idea what you are on about.........
Report politicspunter February 9, 2020 11:21 PM GMT

Feb 9, 2020 -- 5:18PM, peckerdunne wrote:

impossible123 09 Feb 20 22:31 Joined: 07 Sep 15 | Topic/replies: 14,385 | Blogger: impossible123's blogTo remain an opposition leader with little hope of being PM for a long while is not be his cup of tea after gaining and tasting the importance of a politician in highest office because of Brexit; many doctors have been known to give up a career in medicine for politics, and still doing so esp in British politics. And, I do not get why a gay politician of Indian origin could not be accepted in The EU.

????

Report peckerdunne February 9, 2020 11:21 PM GMT
Nor was he ever PM............
Report peckerdunne February 9, 2020 11:22 PM GMT
pp

impossible trying to put words in my mouth
Report sageform February 10, 2020 7:45 AM GMT
"Others" seem to have more votes than any of the three "main" parties so what a shambles. Nobody is willing to form a coalition so Ireland will have to rejoin the UK to have any Government at allCry Never mind, the EU will install an interim administration with Juncker coming out of retirement to run it. He is used to running very small countries like Luxembourg.
Report politicspunter February 10, 2020 8:47 AM GMT

Feb 10, 2020 -- 1:45AM, sageform wrote:

"Others" seem to have more votes than any of the three "main" parties so what a shambles. Nobody is willing to form a coalition so Ireland will have to rejoin the UK to have any Government at all Never mind, the EU will install an interim administration with Juncker coming out of retirement to run it. He is used to running very small countries like Luxembourg.

?????

Report politicspunter February 10, 2020 8:50 AM GMT
As was mentioned up thread, just about the last thing the people of Ireland were interested in when casting their vote, was the EU.
Report politicspunter February 10, 2020 8:52 AM GMT
A "shambles" would have been a generous description of the UK Parliament post 2017 election until the 2019 one.
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 9:05 AM GMT
Now we have the ordinary people voting for IRA murderers and terrorists.
It is so disgraceful as to be almost unbelievable , but don’t be fooled that’s what you are dealing with .
Report 1st time poster February 10, 2020 10:01 AM GMT
that's what happens when you tell 65% of a country who voted remain you didn't no what you were voting for your to thick to understand,at least that's the argument used against remainers in this country Laugh,
even in irish terms the DUP were only mildly interested in supporting brexit could take it or leave it and they were labled fruitcakes and looonies long before brexit came along, Laugh
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 10:29 AM GMT
Ist poster blaming Brexiteers for calling remainers stupid and not knowing what they voted for
You really couldn’t make it up Laugh
Report Mikael D'Haguenet February 10, 2020 11:52 AM GMT
Course you could make it up. Just like you made up your 09:05 post.
Report 1st time poster February 10, 2020 12:42 PM GMT
its a bit to subtle for you lfc ,but you,ll get there by the end of the day,i,m sure, Wink
Report pa lapsy February 10, 2020 1:07 PM GMT
Don't put a dampner on this historic weekend lfc,

Can't you see the future?  Boris and the Taoiseach........ Mary Lou McDonald sitting down together sorting out the border,Boris handing over the keys?
Report themover February 10, 2020 2:20 PM GMT
any chance Ireland could pay back the 3.6 billion owed from the bail-out....might need to build a wall. Cheers
Report pa lapsy February 10, 2020 2:25 PM GMT
All paid back in March next year with the interest, cheers.
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 2:28 PM GMT
No connection between Mary Lou McDonnell and the IRA?
Forget about the department of justice and the PSNI’s determination that the IRA’s army council still exists and is active

The ordination of McDonnell to leader of Sinn Fein occurred over a period of time during which she was shown in the company of IRA army council stalwarts McGuinness and Adams . The very public laying on of hands was to reassure the party faithful that the IRA army council fully trusted that McDonnell ( and O’Neil)  would serve its interests

An early sign of McDonnell finding favour with the IRA army council was in 2003 when she spoke alongside former IRA chief of staff and quartermaster Brian Keenan
Keenan was offering an eulogy to the Second World War IRA Nazi sympathiser and collaborator the then IRA chief of staff Sean Russell in Fairview Park where Dublin City council placed a statue in honour of pro Nazi Russell
Russell ran a bombing campaign in England beginning 1939 at the request of Nazi intelligence

Mary Lou dutifully offered homage not only to Nazi agent Russell , as she was expected to do , but also to Keenan , as she choose to do
There are many of Keenan’s actions in support of the IRA’s bloody 1970s armed struggle but one of his actions stands out even today

Keenan worked at the Grundig factory and was later involved in 1973 in the kidnap and subsequent murder of the managing director of Grundig , Thomas Niedermayer

After ransom attempts and other deals failed , the IRA beat Niedermayer to death ( yes that’s right, they didn’t shoot him )
and dumped his body in a shallow grave in an illegal dump in Belfast. His body was not found until 1980

Niedermayer’s wife, Ingeborg, and his two daughters, Gabrielle and Renate, all committed suicide in later years .
The evil visited on this family by Brian Keenan and the IRA seems to have been forgotten.
By Mary Lou , and others .
Report 1st time poster February 10, 2020 2:28 PM GMT
that's why some people struggle with Brexit,you want to build a wall yet doris your hero wants to build a bridge,BUT THAR YA GO,it will reveal itself in a year or so
Report 1st time poster February 10, 2020 2:29 PM GMT
doris wants more migrants,brexiteers want less,but thar ya go
Report pa lapsy February 10, 2020 2:34 PM GMT
Lfc,you have the dup actually in Westminster,your parliament,double standards from ya.
Report Mikael D'Haguenet February 10, 2020 2:38 PM GMT
Her name is McDonald. If you can't get that tiny fact right, what are the chances of the rest of what you say, on this thread or any other, being accurate?
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 2:41 PM GMT
pl, the DUP have always quite rightly condemned any terrorist actions both loyalist and republican,
Sinn Fein have never done so. That is something they may never do being directly responsible as they were in committing those acts
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 2:43 PM GMT
mike , I suggest you read the words read them again, slowly.
Report pa lapsy February 10, 2020 2:44 PM GMT
Indeed lfc,condemn me hole,didn't Arlene after getting shafted by Boris go straight to the chief of staffs of loyalist terrorists?

Yes or no will do.
Report politicspunter February 10, 2020 2:48 PM GMT

Feb 10, 2020 -- 8:20AM, themover wrote:

any chance Ireland could pay back the 3.6 billion owed from the bail-out....might need to build a wall. Cheers

?????

Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 2:51 PM GMT
PL,Didn't Blair, and Major, and I don't know how many mps consult with IRA and Loyalist terrorists right back to I don't know Whitelaw and Thatcher

that's a necessity I am afraid, but they were not involved in terrorist murders. Arlene Fosters family were victims of the,IRA , they shot her father in front of her and her mother
She has and never would condone violence
Report pa lapsy February 10, 2020 3:01 PM GMT
It is move on time anyway,past is there but the future is as well, can it be a good future?, I hope so.
Report politicspunter February 10, 2020 3:04 PM GMT
Sadly, there will always be a bitter hard core who can't move on, as evident on this thread.
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 3:05 PM GMT
Mary Lou chaired a 'night of celebration' in the Gresham hotel in Dublins O Connell st for convicted on the run from Columbia IRA veteran Jimbo 'Mortar' Monaghan in November 2015
Mary Lou was untroubled by Monaghans long IRA service,nor was she troubled by the precise details of the IRA's army council's deal with FARC, was payment to made in cash from cocaine production or coke ?

Yes she's a beaut
Report Mikael D'Haguenet February 10, 2020 3:08 PM GMT
I understand words just fine, lfc. Rarely yours, though.
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 3:09 PM GMT
Mary Low was appointed, as leader of Sinn Fein by the IRA's army council.
she was appointed, not elected, other candidates were told to stand down
by the IRA army council
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 3:13 PM GMT
I know that, and I know where they found Thomas Neidermayer
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 3:15 PM GMT
* Niedermayer
Report impossible123 February 10, 2020 4:31 PM GMT
So who's the most likely Prime Minister? Varadkar? I understand Sinn Fein has made many gains.
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 4:34 PM GMT
hopefully the sensible moderate Irish people can come together and form a government, FG/FF coalition
Report 1st time poster February 10, 2020 4:50 PM GMT
after standing by ire for 4 years ,you,d have to laugh if any agreed trade deal was vetoed by ire because sein fein,greens,other leftie leaning mp,s in Ireland had the votes to veto it,they hated the deal cooked up by doris/leo as do most of ire
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 4:54 PM GMT
they don't hate the deal (not that there is one yet)
Report 1st time poster February 10, 2020 4:57 PM GMT
doris and his cabinet are on tv 24/7 telling us they,ve got a deal,oven ready in fact,glad your on board with those saying doris is talking a load of shoite,welcome aboard LaughLaugh
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 4:59 PM GMT
it was you that said there was a deal , not me
Report impossible123 February 10, 2020 4:59 PM GMT
Who'd have anticipated Sinn Fein making gains over the others? The electorate there must be as just as disillusioned as the genuine supporters of the Labour Party in The UK. Whatever, I sincerely hope the bad old days are truly behind the country and people - Brexit or not.

However, I do hope this result will wipe the smirk of Varadkar for a long while.
Report impossible123 February 10, 2020 5:00 PM GMT
'lfc1971', do not fall for that bait. A 'Remoron' yet to accept 2016 and 2019 results.
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 5:04 PM GMT
It can happen when there are two old established parties, especially when both are similar
just means the moderate middle ground vote is split.
Something similar happened in Scotland I suppose, unionist party vote split between tory, labour, liberal and SNP gaining all nationalist votes and some others beside
Its a false perspective really
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 5:05 PM GMT
ahha yes impossible, many are still bitter it clouds judgement

hence ist posters increasingly bizarre posts Grin
Report impossible123 February 10, 2020 5:22 PM GMT
When the Fun stops, STOP! I think this adage is just as applicable to any 'Remoron' still negatively affected by Brexit as Gambling.
Report peckerdunne February 10, 2020 6:29 PM GMT
lfc is sick as a parrot which is great

his posts are so bitter and full of shyte

but we dont care

Jimmy Magee  Michael O'Hehir Paki Bonner Micky Collins Dan Breen Dathi O' CONNELL Bobby  Sands Our beloved Martin up above Kevin Barry Seanie Lemass  Tom Barry Joe Mcann Brendan Behan HEFFOS ARMY  mick O connell  SEAMUS HEANEY

WERE HAVING A PARTY  A BIG ONE A LONG JOYOUS ONE

UNITED WE STAND AND LEFT WE LOOK    LaughLaughLaughLaugh

CoolCoolLoveLoveLoveLoveLaughLaugh
Report pa lapsy February 10, 2020 6:33 PM GMT
Report peckerdunne February 10, 2020 6:37 PM GMT
thats the colour PA and its awesome

best day of my life possibly Grin
Report akabula February 10, 2020 6:42 PM GMT
A sad day for the republic.
Thought they were better than this.
Still it has shown peckerdunne up for what he is.
Report pa lapsy February 10, 2020 6:44 PM GMT
Sad day for you unionists LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report pa lapsy February 10, 2020 6:45 PM GMT
Get back to your rangers thread.
Report 1st time poster February 10, 2020 6:47 PM GMT
in 5 years time will doris go to the country, and have indy reff 2 and a vote on a united Ireland on the same day, super Thursday, LaughLaugh
Report akabula February 10, 2020 6:53 PM GMT
With only 25% of the vote in both North and South Ireland SF don't have a mandate for calling for a united Ireland.
Report pa lapsy February 10, 2020 6:56 PM GMT
Thanks to the likes of ardent brexiteers such as yourself and Arlene,it will happen alright.You are playing a stormer, the other jigsaw pieces stacking up nicely.
Report thegiggilo February 10, 2020 6:57 PM GMT
A great start to 2020,could be a good year after all..
Report akabula February 10, 2020 7:10 PM GMT
I suppose you have to clutch at something giggy so why not straws. Grin
Report sageform February 10, 2020 7:15 PM GMT
Do you think that the Irish will agree on a Government before Dec 31 when the EU deal should be done? Can a country without a Government veto a deal? Plenty of stuff to keep us going.
Report politicspunter February 10, 2020 7:19 PM GMT
The way things are going in the seat count, perhaps FF and FG won't be part of the government.
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 10:30 PM GMT
Disgraceful day for the Irish republic , not that I am surprised
I warned you all what they were like .
Report MALAY February 10, 2020 11:14 PM GMT
What's ireland got to do with you lfc, go and wasp other forums like cricket and stuff you're not irish so **** off.
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 11:23 PM GMT
Laugh ah, there are millions of Irish living in England and the U.K. abd indeed the republic who like to stick their Irish noses in so it has a lot to do with me
Maybe they should **** off , what do you thInk , cheers
Report themover February 10, 2020 11:30 PM GMT
Congratulations to Fianna Fáil on winning the election with 38 seats Grin
Report lfc1971 February 10, 2020 11:33 PM GMT
Yes that’s the best possible result themover , bye bye Leo Happy
Report Kelly February 10, 2020 11:49 PM GMT
It's called democracy , lfc .

Brexit represented 3% only of issues addressed by the Irish electorate .

Bear in mind that now the south of Ireland is largely 2 countries , one , the affluent one lives and works within 10 miles of Dublin Bay .  Outside of Cork , Limerick , Galway conurbations , everyone else lives "in the country" .

The country people ( Donegal a prime example ) have been by passed recently ,almost  all the effort in economic recovery post 2008 has been concentrated in/ around Dublin . A bit like the London/ rest divide in England .

There is now a big disconnect between the younger generation and the older generations , politically as well as society based . The old guard of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have been shown the door , down from 85% combined of the vote to under 50% . 

The younger people feel entitled to housing access , biggest single issue in the vote , but the economics of the country do not allow such entitlement , much as though everyone shares the wish list . Sinn Fein tapped into that entitlement , younger voters flocked their direction , particularly as Fine Gael and Fianna Fail had their eyes fixed on a different ball .

I do not see any stability down south for a while , can't see any logical outcome in establishing a stable Government going forward .  Hope I am wrong , but if I was Mary Lou I would want another election where Sinn Fein would put up 60 candidates instead of 42 .  Whether that worked out would not be a foregone conclusion .

Leo , by the way , is still Taoiseach until a new Government is formed .
Report themover February 11, 2020 12:11 AM GMT
I agree with that Kelly, from the voters perspective, but it won't take Sinn Fein long to make it about a border referendum.
Report Wallflower February 11, 2020 3:15 AM GMT
My tuppence worth - in an Irish hotel tonight, was watching their tv / news media earlier after work, but was out and about this evening.

Number one. Feel a bit old Cry - in the bar asked young barmen/women (politely, but in an interested way) how did they vote?  Sinn Fein.  They had no idea whatsoever about the "troubles" in NI - they have never known violence, something their parents talked about. They get really annoyed, (dublin-based) - to hear about their great economy, top 5-6 in every "human development league" in the world - they and their friends cant afford a house in Dublin, city is too expensive. Not uncommon for friends to still be living with parents in their thirtiesShocked!!. Cost of living is too high. Main thing was - don't want to hear about how "great" Ireland is, very different being a young person living there, older generation have wealth (debt-free) lives they will struggle to achieve - said first generation since independence who will be poorer than previous. Decide to give Sinn Fein a chance  - if nothing changes, SF will be out on their ear - they have no loyalty whatsoever to Sinn Fein - classic case - tell us what we want to hear and we'll vote for you. "United Ireland" isn't even on their radar - it will happen eventually, no rush, whenever "they" want to happen, quite cool about it. I had some empathy with them - but tempered by a feeling that they have a serious sense of entitlementAngry.

Older people. Quite a bit different. Found them kind of embarrassed by whole thing, but still a bit sanguine. Viewed it as a "world thing" - populism - "just like US and UK" - "swallow any old sh1te" GrinGrin.  Bit pragmatic, let SF into government (they still less than 25% of vote, not a "wave" like media wants to present) - they'll mess-up, then "good night, thanks for coming". Though generally feel SF are there to stay, but "best way to get rid of them is to give them power".

Hard to get away from sense of shock though.
Report Wallflower February 11, 2020 3:29 AM GMT
As an aside - their electoral system is a blast, very excitingHappy - won eight quidGrin. Convoluted, but very fair.

(dont want it Scotland though, first past the post suits us just fine right nowCool) After independence we'll do PRGrin - but we should do it it like Ireland, their thing is "single transferable vote" PR.  Very very smart system indeed.
Report sageform February 11, 2020 9:31 AM GMT
Democracy is never disgraceful. Those who don't respect elections are not democrats at heart. One other point that has arisen from the Ireland/UK deal, Northern Ireland may lose their time zone alignment with the UK even if they are still nominally in the UK.
Report politicspunter February 11, 2020 9:36 AM GMT

Feb 10, 2020 -- 9:29PM, Wallflower wrote:

As an aside - their electoral system is a blast, very exciting - won eight quid. Convoluted, but very fair.(dont want it Scotland though, first past the post suits us just fine right now) After independence we'll do PR - but we should do it it like Ireland, their thing is "single transferable vote" PR.  Very very smart system indeed.

Definitely a far superior system than the outdated worthless system for Westminster.

Report lfc1971 February 11, 2020 9:52 AM GMT
PR is a bad system, it makes it very difficult to form a majority government. And it is unfair in that it gives greater power to minorities than the votes achieved. Smaller parties can exert power disproportionate meaning that the majority party must often give up on key issues
issues that the majority voted for
Of course these issues may be good or they may be bad, but at least we can see and vote accordingly in 4 years time
It is very difficult for progress to be made under a pr system, things tend to stagnate
Report Angoose February 11, 2020 11:01 AM GMT
40 of 43 European countries use PR.
The Scottish Parliament is elected under a PR system.

What could possibly be more democratic than to have a system where every vote countsConfused
Report Angoose February 11, 2020 11:02 AM GMT
lfc1971 is a superspreader, not of coronavirus but of bs Happy
Report Kelly February 11, 2020 12:14 PM GMT
PR encourages coalitions , which does not appeal to those with more extreme views . Means there is always compromise in political dealings , some people don't like compromise as it implies they have not always got their way .

Some countries have evolved politically to work coalition well , UK not ready for it yet , too many people still wedded to the "we have won" principle paramount in Westminster thinking , reminiscent of feudal times .

Not up to date with "economic " figures , hearing this morning that UK PLC has gone backwards again this last quarter . Just where is the money for HS2 , improved bus services , NHS boosts , Irish Sea bridges , Flybe subsidy , etc etc coming from ?  National Debt ?
Report politicspunter February 11, 2020 12:17 PM GMT

Feb 11, 2020 -- 6:14AM, Kelly wrote:

PR encourages coalitions , which does not appeal to those with more extreme views . Means there is always compromise in political dealings , some people don't like compromise as it implies they have not always got their way .Some countries have evolved politically to work coalition well , UK not ready for it yet , too many people still wedded to the "we have won" principle paramount in Westminster thinking , reminiscent of feudal times .Not up to date with "economic " figures , hearing this morning that UK PLC has gone backwards again this last quarter . Just where is the money for HS2 , improved bus services , NHS boosts , Irish Sea bridges , Flybe subsidy , etc etc coming from ?  National Debt ?

Forty new hospitals?

Report lfc1971 February 11, 2020 12:20 PM GMT
Kelly that doesn't make sense. When someone votes , first past the post system, there is no guarantee that they will win
They could lose, and have to wait 5 years to try again

So it has nothing to do with wanting things to always go your way.
Selfishness and an inability to accept democracy and always wanting your own way is the mentality  some people, most likely those who favour pr and of course the most glaring and disreputable of examples..remainers
Report lfc1971 February 11, 2020 12:28 PM GMT
you see there really is no point in having elections. If everyone has a say in what happens after the election now is there?
Report sageform February 11, 2020 1:12 PM GMT
The usual outcome of a coalition is that nobody is happy with the policy adopted but it also means that nobody has to take all of the blame for the failures.
Report Kelly February 11, 2020 1:22 PM GMT
lfc , the main problem with the first past the post system is that losing voters feel disenfranchised .  In a right -left "democracy" , traditionally split down the middle ideology wise , the 40% who vote for the "winners"control the fates of the 60% who did not vote for the "winners" .

In a coalition , there is a much wider spread of acceptance regarding decisions . But coalition implies compromise , and I am afraid that increasingly UK society has become increasingly intolerant regarding race and relationships with neighbours .  Taking a leaf from Donald's "America First" mantra .

Unfortunately we will have to wait for independent history to verify whether things go forward or backward . Boris and Dominic are experts in propaganda , and they know that delivery of these "long term " projects will take much longer than their political "responsibility" careers .
Report lfc1971 February 11, 2020 1:37 PM GMT
Kelly the 60% are not disenfranchised . 20% may believe is something , 5% may believe something else , 30!%  something 1% something else ...
And 60 % may well , give or take , believe and accept 95 % or more or less perhaps of the governments policies , which may be no more or less than the 40% agree with

That’s the reality , I know it’s subtle
Report lfc1971 February 11, 2020 1:40 PM GMT
An example ? Well I have just voted tory and I disagree with many of their policies
Many very important policies in fact .
But I can’t always get what I want , that’s life
Report peckerdunne February 11, 2020 2:44 PM GMT
lfc clearly you just don't understand how the system works or how the voter can make it work for them locally and at the same time nationally.
Report lfc1971 February 11, 2020 3:00 PM GMT
I’m pretty sure I do , you will have to give an example
Report 1st time poster February 11, 2020 3:47 PM GMT
not mentioned on news but surely it cant be a coincidence that 24 hrs after sein fein,s greatest result they suddenly out of the blue arrest 4 people for that journo,s murder, surely the establishment are just reminding people of their connection to the troubles,
just like right wing media now turning their fire on starmer as he looks like becoming labour leader and more electable than Corbyn,baily
Report aaronh February 11, 2020 4:44 PM GMT
Did like that one of the attacks on Starmer from I think The Sun was that he got paid (presumably well) for his work as a lawyer
Report thegiggilo February 11, 2020 7:02 PM GMT
Tory subterfuge everyday,one day it will end just a matter of how long people are willing tp pretend it'd not happening..
Report impossible123 February 11, 2020 8:12 PM GMT
So Varadkar looks increasingly likely hitting the buffers ie not wanted by electorate, and disquiet in his own Party. And, his Party has the least seats - lesser than Sinn Fein.

The chicken has come back to roost eg squeezing Bojo until he squeaked in Brexit. I wonder if his mates in the EU will "engineer" a position for him for old time sake.
Report pa lapsy February 11, 2020 8:36 PM GMT
Leo "squeezing Boris until he squeaked".  Heart to God
Report edy February 11, 2020 8:50 PM GMT
How much of the election result can be attributed to Varadkar squeezing Johnson until he squeaked? Like, would all the new Sinn Fein and Green Party voters change votes because they would have liked Varadkar to be more gentle with the British Premier?
Report edy February 11, 2020 8:51 PM GMT
*Like, did all the new
Report pa lapsy February 11, 2020 8:58 PM GMT
Boris went out of Dublin with a big smile,he got what he wanted.

Fine Gael haven't done too well domestically,people particulary the young want change and who is to say they aren't right.
Report Angoose February 11, 2020 9:08 PM GMT
Everybody wants change …..

Report Wallflower February 11, 2020 10:04 PM GMT
I'm over in Ireland working......ringside seat so to speak.

Varadkar and his government given credit for economic recovery and for Brexit (squeezing Johnson was a plus).  But Brexit is way down list of priorities -  1% !!!! view as important issue.  Once no border in Ireland their voters think job done (they are wrong btw).

It seems it mostly about housing issue and the expense for people under 35 getting affordable homes (especially Dublin).

UK not on their radar really, not all about us it seemsGrinGrin - not getting a mention!!
Report peckerdunne February 11, 2020 10:41 PM GMT
childcare 2 kids in Dublin 1600

insurance rising exponentially profitable small firms going out of business including nurseries etc and entertainment

Travel from counties towns in greater Dublin commuter belt a total mare

farmers skint, processor not

rural towns ghostly no investment depopulating 

700 a day on trollies

people going abroad for basic treatments

all sorts of deductions from salary

cost of living insane

ageing population, murder over pensions and age

endless other problems

pups usually empty or closed and on and on

but the recovery has been a huge success  Cry
Report sageform February 12, 2020 9:50 AM GMT
How much sea traffic is there between Ireland and the rest of the EU that does not pass through GB? I genuinely have no idea so it is not a loaded question. The nearest French ports in Normandy and Brittany are all quite small.
Report politicspunter February 12, 2020 10:02 AM GMT
https://www.freightlink.co.uk/knowledge/articles/five-reasons-use-direct-ferry-ireland-mainland-europe

Sageform, this is an advert but it gives a pretty good guide of what's available.
Report sageform February 12, 2020 2:10 PM GMT
Thanks pp. A long way from Dublin to Zeebrugge! There are opportunities though.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com