Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Pablo23
14 Oct 13 18:30
| Topic/replies: 452 | Blogger: Pablo23's blog
relating to pot odds, betting.

If I have a flush draw after the flop, how do i approach the betting against one opponent with a big stack.
Assuming they go before me and bet, do I bet according to the odds on the next card hitting my flush (ie about 5/1) or on the odds of one of the two last cards getting my flush. I would assume it is the first being that if i do not hit the flush, the likelyhood is that i will be having to call an even bigger bet to see the last card. I have recently read a book hinting to do the latter which i find odd (unless they go all in with a small amount).

Cheers
Pause Switch to Standard View an embarrassingly easy question...
Show More
Report chipfire227 October 14, 2013 10:13 PM BST
Probably need more info if you want a sensible answer. Are you talking cash/stt/mtt ? How deep are the stacks in relation to the blinds ? Are you talking nut flush draw ? What level are you playing at/how good is your opponent ? What sort of flop is it/ did the board pair etc ?

Back in the day if all you had was a flush draw and your opponent made a continuation bet, assuming they gave you the right odds, standard practice was to just call, but no doubt these days you re-raise the living Bejasus out of them irrespective of whats flopped/ previous hands against same oppo/ stack sizes etc, what with any draw now seeming to be the nuts.
Report Ovalman. October 16, 2013 9:49 AM BST
It's not an easy question because as Chip says there's a lot of variables to take into consideration.

You've 9 outs for a flush draw but many times you've extra outs like an overpair or gutshot. You should only count your outs to the nuts in the hand (ie. the hand that will win at showdown) which is why you shouldn't play hands like J2s etc that look pretty but have no real post flop equity. You very rarely get odds (as you say) to call a 9 out flush draw so it's much better to fold but you can also take the initiative and bet into some draws. You really need to know your opponents to know what to do. You should be ranging your opponents all the time and if the flop doesn't hit his range then bet into your flush draw if you feel you can take the pot down.

And the book is maybe assuming a cash situation where many times you will be playing for stacks? If you both start with $100 and have $25 left in your stack come the turn then the pot is $150 and you then have $25 to call to win a $175 pot which gives you more than the 4/1 need to hit your flush draw. A tourney is different because you are playing for your tournament life, it's much wiser to not get into drawing situations.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com