Forums

North American

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Roger De Bris
25 Jan 16 16:40
| Topic/replies: 14,924 | Blogger: Roger De Bris's blog
We know the teams now. Grin

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 15  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 15 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 573
By:
padlock
When: 25 Jan 16 19:00
Carolina on fire,will the denver defence be able to stop them ?
By:
jedi sophie
When: 25 Jan 16 19:10
have to say,I certainly hope not,Carolina get a break with injuries i think its more of the same in SB50..
By:
johnnythebull
When: 25 Jan 16 19:20
only one winner...SB XLVIII deja vu
btw great bets jedi & the rhino
have u laid off any or still holding the original stakes?
By:
jedi sophie
When: 25 Jan 16 19:36
JohnnyB was just askin Rhino on Panthers thread,ive not laid off mate,as i suggested in various threads was intending to let roll.in a quandary now obviously.Fancy Panthers strongly but layin at 1.55 no real hardship having seen some of the games we have this season.
By:
jedi sophie
When: 25 Jan 16 19:37
Injuries to big players my main concern,not Denver.Convinced Newton outscores Peyton.
By:
nugget
When: 26 Jan 16 02:29
nugget • October 26, 2015 3:58 AM GMT

Impressive stuff from Carolina. I thought they may struggle a bit for offense this season especially without Kelvin Benjamin.  However Cam Newton has continued his good play from last season and as others have mentioned seems to be getting better still.  Olson the TE is top shelf, RB Stewart is an absolute wrecking ball and the defense looks the real deal.  They're looking like a legitimate candidate for a place in the NFC championship game.

October seems like a long time ago now!
By:
therhino
When: 28 Jan 16 11:14
On Sunday, Carolina Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis broke a bone in his right forearm when he absorbed the impact of a leaping Arizona Cardinals tight end Darren Fells. Hours later, he was celebrating a conference championship, even appearing on the podium with his teammates with his arm wrapped in a protective bandage. And Davis was all smiles, not just because his team went on to beat the Cardinals after his injury, but because as he said, he'll do "everything in [his] power to be ready to go" for Super Bowl 50 vs. the Denver Broncos.

But how realistic is Davis' expectation?

Actually, it's not just possible he'll play -- it's probable.

Davis was somewhat fortunate -- if one can call it that -- in that he broke just one bone in his forearm (the ulna), not both, making it a less complex injury. The break was on the main shaft of the bone, where it did not involve the elbow or wrist joints. The location of the fracture does not require that the wrist or elbow be immobilized in a cast.

The break that Davis suffered usually results from a direct blow to the bone, the kind that is seen when someone is defending themselves from an attacker. In an effort to ward off a hit to the head, the arm instinctively comes up with the ulna exposed, making it vulnerable to a forceful blow. In medical circles this is often referred to as a nightstick fracture.

Davis underwent surgery Monday to insert a metal plate to stabilize the fracture. While the bone itself will require at least six weeks to heal, with some extra external protection on his forearm, Davis should be able to take the field. Panthers head athletic trainer and physical therapist Ryan Vermillion constructed a carbon graphite shell for former Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith's forearm when he returned to action after a similar injury. He will do so again for Davis, who has already initiated his post-operative rehabilitation.

Will he have discomfort? Probably. Will he have full strength in his arm? Probably not. Might he suffer another injury? He might. But this is not a player who should be underestimated when it comes to toughness. After all, he went through three consecutive ACL rehabilitation efforts before returning in 2012 and notching more than 100 tackles. And, oh, by the way, he has had at least 100 tackles in each of the three years since.

For Davis, who has already had his share of physical hurdles to overcome and has done so with flying colors, the reward of playing in two weeks no doubt exceeds the relative risk. This is, after all, the Super Bowl.
By:
therhino
When: 28 Jan 16 11:15
^^^ From ESPN ^^^

ExcitedExcited
By:
jedi sophie
When: 29 Jan 16 18:59
Get There TD.PleaseGrin
By:
Swagger
When: 03 Feb 16 11:51
I think it will be closer than people think assuming the Denver Broncos can get their secondary healthy enough to play. I'm surprised at the odds - Denver are generally 2/1 and the Panthers are generally 2/5, I would make the Panthers favourites but I would have it priced up more like Denver 11/8-6/4 and the Panthers 4/6-8/13. Denver limited the Steelers to 16 points which even without Brown and Bell was impressive as they have an excellent offense. They then limited the Patriots to 18 points, 6 of those points came with the last throw in regulation and the other Patriots touchdown came after Manning randomly threw it backwards around his own 30 yard line turning the ball over - both games were at home but the Denver defense is serious so I give them a shot against the Panthers. They have limited two future hall of fame Quarterbacks in Brady and Big Ben to under 20 points which takes some doing.

A lot depends on the first half for me - The Panthers have been exploding out the gates in recent games and if they get a big early lead then it's surely all over and even if the Panthers get a lead of over 7 points by half time then I think it's all but done. On the flip side if Denver have a lead or can stay in the game and are within say 4-5 points of the Panthers at half time I would fancy them to get it done as the Panthers have slowed down in the second half in a lot of games. Denver need to stay in the game in the first half and we could be in for another classic.

Most are picking the Panthers thinking Newton will just smash it which might obviously happen but I will go for Denver as I think they have the better defense and they have some quality receivers in Thomas and Sanders who just have to make a few plays to get enough done on offense.
By:
dlarssonf
When: 03 Feb 16 14:37
Swagger whilst I agree with you with regard the Denver defence ( I really rate it ) both the steelers and especially the patriots had no run game which makes it so much easier.  The Panthers have this in abundance.

Baltimore & Benegals both held the Steelers offence very comfortably the two weeks before that and they hardly blew Cleveland away either. Yes Bell was a huge huge loss but that been said without him that Steelers offence is massively over rated. They Broncos defence will not have that luxury against a Panthers team who will not be afraid to pound the ground.

And again I agree with you with regard Thomas and Sanders on their offence that isn't the problem. The problem is a qb who has been very poor all season behind an even poorer o - line.  The defence is the only way Denver win the game and as good as it is just don't think it's near enough
By:
jedi sophie
When: 03 Feb 16 19:22
Good Posts Lads.
By:
therhino
When: 04 Feb 16 19:27
Best defense in the league vs the best offense in the league. Classic matchup. Problem for the Broncos is the team with the best offense also have a great defense. The Broncos aren't great on both sides however, they struggled to score at home where they have a decisive advantage against the Steelers and Patriots, so on neutral ground against a far better defense than both of those teams you wonder where the points will come from. Miller and co. May be able to keep it close but you have to think at some some point the walls will break.

Broncos have to play out their skin to win this.
By:
Roger De Bris
When: 05 Feb 16 01:43
Peyton Manning is going to have to make some difficult throws for him to win this game.
Looks like he hasn't got the arm to do it anymore, off target way too much. Emmanuel Sanders has been bailing him out a few times lately.
Find Robert McClain & throw to whoever is against him will be his best bet.
Would be no surprise to see Osweiler in the game at some stage.
A stat I heard is 20 of manning's 24 deep passes (+20yards) have been thrown to his right, Josh Norman & Luke Keuchly territory....
Carolina have too many ways to attack.
I went through Carolina's last 22 drives starting from the opponents 11 yard line or less, and I came up with 21 touchdowns and 1 FG!! LaughLaugh
12 passing TD's to 5 different receivers, and 9 rushing TD's.
Carolina all the way.
By:
Jb23
When: 05 Feb 16 14:40
Good post lads, regular reader of you guys during the NFL season. More of a MLB fan personally. For a monumental price, Brock Osweiler 150/1 on the exchanges to be MVP. Just if in the not so unreasonable chance Manning gets knocked out with that horrible line, your sat on a 150/1 shot in a very QB friendly award. Your speculating but it looks far to big to me
By:
northanlite
When: 07 Feb 16 00:46
i've spent so long trying to make a case for denver i've almost convinced myself.
defence can win games but denver are a hard sell right now.
if they can somehow limit carolina to maybe 10 possessions max then they have half a chance.
By:
Back High Lay Low
When: 07 Feb 16 03:51
Victory will belong to the team that survived the gruelling bye week the best.
By:
bankit
When: 07 Feb 16 17:56
The wait is nearly over, few hours to k.o, what's your thoughts out there..? I'm on Carolina -4.5, I hope if I do my dough it's to a Denver win not Carolina not covering, seeing manning lift the trophy would ease the pain of my lighter wallet.
By:
misselephantstone
When: 07 Feb 16 18:05
Find it difficult to see Denver offence putting up more than 16 points while it still counts so imho the defence has to score,Happy with my 5.1 Carolina (aftertiming sorry) and 1.98 carolina halftime/fulltime.
By:
therhino
When: 07 Feb 16 18:09
Not a massive amount matched on the moneyline for such a big event.
By:
Somerset Sam
When: 07 Feb 16 18:51
Cam Newton is too mobile and throws too well to worry about the Denver defence. As good as they were against the banged up Patriots, a more mobile QB than Brady would have led their team to victory.

The Panthers have lost one game all season. I hope Rivera and his Co ordinators let the team do what's got them this far. They control the ball so well and put points on the board when they have the ball.

Go Panthers!
By:
Swagger
When: 07 Feb 16 19:01
Out of interest do people remember what price the Giants were when they beat the Patriots twice - Manning vs Brady?

I remember last year by the off Seattle were just about favourites, were they also favourites against Denver when they tore them apart?

I find it interesting as before the Championship games I think people were saying that they would be surprised if Denver would be priced much higher than 6/4 yet they are 2/1. I thought Denver were impressive in going about their business against New England, who although had no running game (but then have they had much of a strong running game in recent years) whereas the Panthers battered an Arizona Cardinals team who I think were on the brink after the team saw Carson Palmer play the way he did against the Pack. In my opinion Arizona were mentally broken after Seattle tore them apart in the last game of the regular season, Green Bay should have beaten them in their next game even with their 50th choice wide receivers, they didn't but the Panthers jumped all over that.

The prices just look too far apart for me. I actually fancy Denver to pull off the upset and am surprised that the odds are so far apart.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it's interesting as to me the odds seem to be based on just the post season not on the full season as if it were then surely the Panthers schedule vs the Broncos schedule would be taken into account, people seem to be talking as though Cam Newton is unplayable, invincible and that he can't be beaten etc, I don't question that he hasn't done exceptionally well this season (although for me I would have made Russell Wilson the MVP during the regular season) but then how did he do in the previous three seasons...good teams found a way to stop him, how many good teams has he faced this season? Also given the respective quality around them, was Cam Newton actually more impressive during this regular season than what RG3 produced in his rookie season? One hit to his knee and we have since seen what has happened to RG3.

The "good" teams I think the Panthers have played including both regular season and post season to date: - (subjective of course)

Green Bay Packers - Panthers ran into a big lead, got pegged back and by his standards, Aaron Rodgers missed a regulation throw which would have left a 2 point conversion attempt to take the game into overtime.
Seattle Seahawks x 2 - Both impressive wins, the first was a late winning drive which came at a time when Seattle lost a lot of games in the fourth quarter which I think was down to a team disfunction in terms of morale etc to a point but the win in the post season was exceptionally impressive especially in the first half. It confirmed to me what ClayDavis had previously said on here that Seattle aren't the same team they were 2-3 years ago.
Arizona Cardinals - For me they were a spent force after the destruction by Seattle in the last game of the regular season.
Cowboys - Didn't have a fit Romo from the start and he got injured, so for me I put a line through this game plus Dallas only won 4 games so they couldn't be considered a good team during the last regular season.

Whereas Denver beat several "good" teams and mostly in tight games: - (again subjective)

Minnesota Vikings
Kansas City Chiefs
Cincinnati Bengals
Green Bay Packers - proper beatdown
Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steelers established a run game of sorts, I think they rushed for over a hundred yards and whilst Brown was out, Martavis Bryant is an absolute beast, a proper gamechanger and the supporting cast weren't too shabby on offense. They didn't score a load of points versus either the Bengals or the Ravens but divisional games are different to other games, e.g. the Rams seem to have always played well against the Seahawks/49ers in recent years then lose against teams they should beat.
New England Patriots x 2

I think the fact that the Broncos have got used to beating good teams in closely fought affairs is an important factor and has been overlooked.

I would rather have the Denver defense (although I credit that the Panthers do have a very good defense but I think the Broncos have an elite defense), the Denver wide receivers and their running backs. I would take the Carolina Panthers QB, tight end and offensive line (although I don't think the Denver O-Line will play as badly as some think). I think Gary Kubiak has done a great job as coach of Denver and equally Riverboat Ron at the Panthers - I don't think there is much between the coaching although I would perhaps give the slight edge to Denver as Wade Phillips has worked wonders with the Denver defense.

So it does come down to Payton Manning. As for me, if Denver had Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Romo (of last season when fit), Wilson or even Eli Manning, I would personally make Denver the favourites, around 8/11. Yet they are 2/1 with Peyton Manning at QB - is he really that far gone!? Perhaps he is.

But Kubiak is a clever coach, he will surely have watched the film and seen guys like Romo (although he shouldn't have played as clearly still injured) and Wilson trying to force the issue by throwing dangerous balls down the middle of the field into double and at times triple coverage which were picked off by the insatiable Luke Kuechly. I expect Kubiak to try and turn Manning's weakness of lacking in his old arm power into a strength, especially early in the game by not asking to make any dangerous throws down the middle. Expect slants and screen passes and regulation 5-6 yard completions out wide - that will surely be obvious so it's imperative that Denver can establish the run to ensure so that they can set up those plays.

I understand that CJ Anderson said just before the post season that he had only felt 100% during the latter part of the regular season and that he had suffered from various physical setbacks earlier during the season which would support his disappointing start to the season. If my working out is correct, he averaged 2.68 yards in the first six games of the regular season and has subsequently averaged 5.65 yards a game.

The Denver defense will show up, their offense need to play smart and efficient football and not turn the ball over more than once, call the correct plays and they need to establish the run. I still think that if they can stay in the game by half time then it's very much game on.

Very few people give Denver any sort of chance, which based on the post season performances by Carolina in particular is understandable, but I still think Denver can pull off the upset Grin

Enjoy the game everyone!
By:
padlock
When: 07 Feb 16 19:02
Still think carolina have too much offense power , therefore carolina to win -5
By:
notwhatwho
When: 07 Feb 16 19:05
Good write up swagger

I've backed Denver too. Solid team.

Maybe low scoring game?
By:
therhino
When: 07 Feb 16 19:16
So many talked up Seattle and with fair reason. They were so fancied the Seahawks the Panthers were 3rd fave behind Arizona and New England heading into divisional weekend. When you go through that and Arizona so impressively I don't see the schedule argument having any legitimacy anymore - can only beat what gets put in front of you. Great write up though Swagger, agree about Denver playing that sort of offense. Does make for a long day for them though, 3rd and longs will be very interesting indeed. Manning can no doubt still manage a game even if the long ball has deserted him - California weather should perhaps help a little.

Still, Panthers just too strong, too many weapons.
By:
Somerset Sam
When: 07 Feb 16 19:34
Greg Olsen over 70.5 receiving yards, a decent bet to small stakes IMO. One of Cam Newton's favourite targets, has averaged 6 receptions in both post season games so far against very good defences in Arizona and Seattle, and Denver, as good as their defensive stats are, are not so good against opposition tight ends in terms of yards allowed.

All about opinions I suppose, enjoy the game.
By:
milla445
When: 07 Feb 16 21:09
We should have an over/under on how often Dara says "Alright".

Betting-wise, all in tails. I'll see how things are looking after that.
By:
GoBallistic
When: 07 Feb 16 21:18
Denver by 13
By:
a bitofinterest
When: 07 Feb 16 21:20
Crazy
By:
Forumite77
When: 07 Feb 16 21:21
Denver 24-17, von miller mvp
By:
TerryHurlock
When: 07 Feb 16 21:28
Olsen anytime TD and panthers to win for starters
By:
anxious
When: 07 Feb 16 21:40
great preview by some of the guys on here but a lot of money for Denver today why is that ?
By:
YDNA_got_it_right_now
When: 07 Feb 16 21:51
If you fancy Broncos to win backing Manning at 4/1 for mvp has to be the bet, if he gets them over the line he will be a shoo-in
By:
xmoneyx
When: 07 Feb 16 22:08
what time does game start?
By:
TerryHurlock
When: 07 Feb 16 22:10
11.30 gmt
By:
xmoneyx
When: 07 Feb 16 22:15
thx