Forums

North American

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ClayDavis
20 Jan 14 02:27
| Topic/replies: 8,456 | Blogger: ClayDavis's blog
You can handle being outplayed or losing to the better team. But losing because the 'incompetence' of the zebras is hard to take.
The non-roughing the kicker call when it's one of the most basic rules in the sport - the Seahawks score a TD on the back of it.
Bowman fumble recovery was one of the most scandalous non-calls I have ever seen. How on earth none of them saw that is a mystery.
Let's not forget the personal foul in the first quarter when it was shoulder to shoulder contact.
But hey Swardean thinks the xebras were bad for both sides CryCryCryCry Enjoy your night Swardean but a little honesty would be nice. To say they were bad for both sides is misleading in the extreme

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 34
By:
startedOct2000stillgoingstrong
When: 20 Jan 14 05:14
you and your 49ers were unlucky with those calls Clay. Im trying hard to be sympathetic.
By:
northanlite
When: 20 Jan 14 07:15
maybe they were influenced by the "12th man" clay Laugh
By:
Swardean
When: 20 Jan 14 08:44
Come on Clay... I thought you were above this.  Beat fair and square.  49ers had decisions and bounce of the ball for 3 of the 4 qtrs
By:
ClayDavis
When: 20 Jan 14 08:57
Swardean - i thought u were above this. Which 'wrong' decisions did the 49ers get? And the Seahawks scored a TD off the back of a 'wrong' call so how was it 'fair and square'?
By:
northanlite
When: 20 Jan 14 09:05
Harbaugh is complaining less than you are clay.
By:
bigpoppapump
When: 20 Jan 14 11:01
I'm also disappointed for SF in a book-talking kind of a way  :( 

Thought they were v unlucky, but having said that they had their chances.  Throws interceptions on each of the last two drives at 20-17 then 23-17 and you're not going to win a tight one.
By:
ClayDavis
When: 20 Jan 14 11:05
The importance of the Lynch run at 10-3 to the 49ers can't be underestimated. While it should have been a first down to the 49ers and the momentum that could give them, it was ball to the Seahawks on the back of a shocking call from the zebras and a few plays later it was 10-10. The Seahawks hadn't looked like scoring before then and the pressure would have cranked up another notch
By:
db1974
When: 20 Jan 14 12:23
I thought the 49ers got the rough end of all the bad decisions last night but they still had a chance to get it done at the end of the game and didn't do it so they need to look in the mirror first before pointing the finger at the refs.
By:
northanlite
When: 20 Jan 14 12:59
No #1 rated D for a reason Cool
By:
Wallflower
When: 20 Jan 14 14:18
(1)  Bowman fumble recovery was a bad call, but had no impact on the match. 49ers got the ball on downs on the next play in a better position. Wrong call, but turns out had no impact on the match.
(2)  "Roughing" the kicker - I've no issue with that either as I didn't think there was anything "rough" about it
(3)  Though I thought the personal foul was a terrible call and was instrumental in Seahawks getting on the front foot after early 49ers dominance

Match could have gone any way, like many others.
By:
When: 20 Jan 14 15:05
Kaep throwing interceptions had a much bigger bearing on the outcome.
By:
Swardean
When: 20 Jan 14 15:58
Ok, I will give my view on the calls and the impact on the game:-

1) Personal Foul for unnecessary roughness was indeed a poor call.  I stated that at the time on the main thread.  Equally bad was the offensive holding call on the very next play that effectively ended the drive with a punt.  The guys in the sky studio discussed the calls and said both were incorrect.  Jeff, indeed said the second one was bogus to "even things up".   But in the end and no points gained from the drive.

2) Roughing the kicker was a 50-50 call.  I have seen them given and also not given.  The 49ers had had 3 attempts to move the ball and could not do it, so they punted.  As for Seattle "scored a TD on the back of this".  That is rubbish, they punted to deep in seattle have and seahawks had to go the length of the field.  All that happened was Seattle was given possession.  It is not as if they were given the ball in 49ers redzone.

3) The fumble recovery was wrong but as Wallflower stated nothing came of it.

Also you failed to mention the defensive holding call on the 49ers first TD drive.   It was 3rd down and 9 on their own 15 yard line.   And in a tug of war between sherman and crabtree, seattle were flagged and 49ers got a first down.  The ball was overthrown and uncatchable by crabtree.   They went on to score a TD instead of punting.

So overall, I cannot see how the officiating had a significant impact on the result.  Obviously other peoples opinion may be different.
By:
When: 20 Jan 14 16:37
a sensible balanced view on a Clay Davis thread ConfusedGrin
By:
ClayDavis
When: 20 Jan 14 16:51
Swardean - nice try but I'm sorry I think you are wrong. The 49ers punted and Seattle started their drive on their own 40 yard line I think - hardly deep....can u not see the difference between starting on their own 40 yard line and a first down for the 49ers? Massive difference. And yes a few plays later the Seahawks scored a touchdown
The holding call on Crabtree, believe it or not, was a holding call because, believe it or not, Sherman was grabbing Grabtree. He has been getting away with it all year long and got caught. Not sure what the problem with that call was?
By:
Kriskin
When: 20 Jan 14 17:00
Clay - ur right to say that the 49er's never got the decisions.  Apart from this the Kap never helped himself with those 2 poor throws.  The Hawks were very forunate to win.  If Denver's defense can stand-up they should win as Manning will not throw those interceptions
By:
Swagger
When: 20 Jan 14 17:12
The roughing the kicker was clear as day surely - he caught the kicker's ankle with a brainless attempt to block the ball even though they were going to get good field position. 49ers would have been around the half way line with a first down, a great chance to at least score 3 points given the momentum they would have got from that drive compared to the Seahawks starting from their 40 yard line! I agree with a few posters above that despite everything the 49ers still had the opportunity to get the job done but didn't which was their own fault, but the non award of the roughing the kicker clearly changed the momentum swing in a very tight game. Sherman may have been holding for the whole game as he has been all season so the call against him may have been awarded for a cumulative number of close calls. It wasn't a clear cut non penalty especially as we don't know what had happened before that was given.

I thought the last play call by the 49ers was pretty brainless, there was still plenty of time to use Kap's legs and get closer - he had scorched them throughout so I was surprised they didn't just get another 10 yards before going for the touchdown.
By:
Swardean
When: 20 Jan 14 17:15
Perhaps I am too close to the Seahawks to give an objective view, so we will just agree to differ on this one Clay.  However I take offence at your initial post suggesting I am being 'dishonest' and 'misleading'.  That is certainly not how I behave, ever!  People are allowed to have a different view from yourself, especially in an area as subjective as refereeing decisions.
By:
ClayDavis
When: 20 Jan 14 21:05
Swardean - I apologise for the use of my language. I still disagree with you. 1st and 10 at the around halfway for the 49ers or 1st and 10 for the Seahwks on their own 40 yard line - it's a massive shift.

Swagger - I thought the play call at the end was the right one. If they had waited and got closer the Seahawks knew they wouldn't run it as time was running out so the field would have got tighter and passing lanes non existent. He had one on one coverage on his best receiver with a clear shot at him. the ball was slightly underthrown. But he had to take that chance. It nearly paid off. Sherman made an outstanding play. You have to credit him
By:
db1974
When: 20 Jan 14 22:12
Another decision which didn't go the 49ers way was the pass to Davis which was ruled incomplete when he clearly had possession, fumbled, & recovered it. I mentioned this twice on the main thread yesterday and Bill Barnwell agreed with me in his a Grantland column today. That would have left 3rd-&-2 instead of 3rd-&-10 which SF couldn't complete. The roughing the kicker happened on the very next play after the 3rd-&-10 incompletion.

Also the roughing the kicker penalty was called incorrectly by the refs. There is no discretion allowed in this situation, apart from deciding if it is a penalty or not. If the ref decides it IS a penalty then whichever foot is hit determines the foul. It is not up to the ref to decide whether it is a running-into or roughing penalty.
By:
themightymac
When: 21 Jan 14 00:44
wallflower

(1)  Bowman fumble recovery was a bad call, but had no impact on the match. 49ers got the ball on downs on the next play in a better position. Wrong call, but turns out had no impact on the match.
(2)  "Roughing" the kicker - I've no issue with that either as I didn't think there was anything "rough" about it
(3)  Though I thought the personal foul was a terrible call and was instrumental in Seahawks getting on the front foot after early 49ers dominance

Right on all accounts:

1. Blatant wrong call but 49ers gained yds from it.

2. Kicker ran into him so they were lucky to get 5yd penalty.

3. Umpires don`t have the luxury of slow motion replays, they have to call in real time.

I bet the 49ers and they just weren`t good enough on the day. Kap couldn`t get it done when needed. Outstanding play by Sherman. Take off the blinkers and accept defeat like a man.

PS. I hope Denver stuff the *****
By:
TheVis
When: 21 Jan 14 07:59
SF were never that low in the betting either which suggested the market didn't have huge faith in them despite various leads.
By:
ClayDavis
When: 21 Jan 14 10:07
db1974 is absolutely spot on. The amount of people on this forum who don't know the rules is staggering. It's like helmet to helmet contact - sometimes we think it's unfair or was unavoidable. But it doesn't matter. It's an automatic penalty. It's the same with roughing the kicker. Once the refs decided it was a penalty then they had to decided was it his kicking leg or standing leg. Kicking leg is a 5 yard penalty and standing leg is a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down. He clearly rolled onto his standing leg. Was he pushed? No one was near him. As Jeff said in the Sky Sports studio it was actually an awful play by the guy trying to block the punt. You try and block away from the kick so that if u miss then make no contact with the kicker. He tried to block right in front of him meaning it was a cert he was going to make contact. The zebras got it wrong. Pure and simple.

And for people to say that 'oh well the 49ers lost nothing with the fumble call' misses the whole point. Bowman recovered a fumble, clearly seriously injured and lying on his back with clear possession of the ball, the zebras allowed players to jump on and roll all over a player in serious distress. It's an absolute scandal. These guys should never be allowed on a football field after that.
By:
themightymac
When: 21 Jan 14 16:08
Sure it was a terrible missed call, everybody on here would agree, but it didn`t have any direct influence on the result. I suppose if Jeff says it then it must be gospel. He`s such a great defensive coach he can`t get a job LaughLaugh
By:
Rico88
When: 21 Jan 14 16:35
With the majority of NFL games that are decided by a touchdown or less, you can hand-pick questionable calls and say the game should've or could've went the other way. Occasionally you can even make the case that one side got screwed. This is not one of those cases. This was not a screwjob. While the officials did blow several calls (the Bowman play was especially terrible), it's quite a stretch to claim that the officials effected the final outcome.

You know what certainly did effect the outcome? San Francisco turning the ball over on its final three possessions! Three times they had the ball in the final quarter, and each time they coughed it up. That's on Kaepernick, not the zebras.

First possession in fourth quarter, Kaepernick gets sacked and loses a fumble deep in his own territory. That can't happen. Somehow with Seattle having the ball at the SF 6, the Niners escape without allowing any points. So what does Kaep do with this second chance? Throws an atrocious interception to Kam Chancellor. Despite all this, SF gets one more chance to drive for the winning score and what happens....another INT. The final throw actually wasn't bad, and Sherman made a nice play to tip it up, but the decision itself wasn't good. They had successfully dink-and-dunked their way up the field with short throws the entire way. Why go for it all when you have first down in the red zone with nearly 30 seconds left and two timeouts still in your back pocket? Poor choice by Kaepernick.

In the end, poor execution on offense was San Francisco's downfall, not officiating.

All that said, I hope Denver wins the Super Bowl.
By:
themightymac
When: 21 Jan 14 16:40
I couldn`t agree more rico88, terrific post and comments.
By:
Roger De Bris
When: 21 Jan 14 19:52
If only we could replace the amount of Clay Davis threads with the same number of Rico88 threads, I think the North American forum would be onto a real winner.....
By:
Wallflower
When: 21 Jan 14 21:45
.... agree, very good post Rico88.

The game was there for them to win it.
By:
northanlite
When: 21 Jan 14 21:56
not much mention of the shocking delay of game pen just prior to the first turnover in the 2nd half. huge moment i thought, threw SF completely & got them in a panic.
i would blame the crowd noise but clay says that is all garbage so it can't have been that.
By:
incaseof
When: 21 Jan 14 22:23
The way Denver run pick play not called all game, even got holding call on Pats players when they run a pick play and then Pats got called for a ridiculous pick...that was one way officiating.

NFL got the SB they wanted Devil
By:
themightymac
When: 22 Jan 14 13:45
... mind you I might have ricco for plagiarism CrazyCrazy
By:
sideshowbob
When: 23 Jan 14 08:58
this year has been the worst i can remember, though the worst call ever has to be the seattle green bay balls up last season. you cant play anymore. no idea why anybody bothers running, 3 passes deep and youre all but guaranteed to get a flag on one of em. breathe and its pass interference. but then you get down to the game on the line and theres the most blatant penalty ever and half the time they dont get called. if youre calling ticky tacky nothings all the game, you cant then bottle calls just cos theyre in the last few plays, its madness.
By:
sideshowbob
When: 23 Jan 14 09:09
plus they dont help themselves. why in the world couldnt the fumble recovery be challenged in the 49ers game? i dont care if the rules say they cant challenge that, WHY do the rules say that? utter nonsense. if the point is its not worth challenging cos 99% of the time in situations like that you cant actually see who recovered it, well so what? that should be for the coach to decide. all the endless stoppages, timeouts and reviews but we cant take 2 minutes to make sure the right team has the fecking ball?? whoever decided that cant be reviewed is a moron.
By:
themightymac
When: 23 Jan 14 14:07
I agree
By:
rev ike
When: 23 Jan 14 16:02
great game -some dodgy calls-I thought 49ers had all the luck going early on in the game-every game has close calls........stop sounding like David Moyes...
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com