Forums

North American

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Roger De Bris
24 Sep 13 18:28
| Topic/replies: 14,924 | Blogger: Roger De Bris's blog
what the hell is going on?

not looking good. Way too many penalties every week too.
Show More
Report Swardean September 24, 2013 7:47 PM BST
Davis out, Smith going to be out, and they have all sussed Kaep and the read option.   Even more worrying their defensive line is getting manhandled.

Superbowl favs... hmmm.
Report DirkDiggler September 24, 2013 9:25 PM BST
Many teams flop after a SB defeat, the SB hangover is well known. Even taking into account the missing players, the team is flat, the o-line which was beastly last year is getting killed, the defensive line ditto. The play calling is awful, no creativity at all. Patrick who? Jason who? Navarro who? - never heard their names all game on Sunday.

Something isn't right, people under-estimate the emotional side of the game.

'Whose got it better than us?' - Looks like a lot of teams.
Report sideshowbob September 25, 2013 1:53 AM BST
well they arent superbowl favourites for a start, theyre about 15.0 and denver are about 5.0. if they were superbowl favourites it would be mad, but they arent. theyre a total shambles right now. the seattle game killed them mentally. theyre the flip side of the patriots. the patriots have all kinds of problems, but are winning games and thats building confidence. the 9ers need a win badly. they need to get back to basics with the offense and just look to gain a few yards here and there. its like they expect the qb (i cant spell his name lol) to just pull **** out the bag every play.
Report d13phe September 25, 2013 8:53 AM BST
I didn't think they were that good last year and up stepped EEl Kapaernick who took their play to the next level.

They are not a team to trust imo.

I would not rule them out though as they are a team that can get on a roll.
Report padlock September 25, 2013 9:05 AM BST
denver and seattle look different class to rest
Report db1974 September 25, 2013 12:47 PM BST
Broncos have had an easy slate so far (Ravens, Giants, Raiders) so I would like to see them against someone decent before making a judgement on them just yet. They have a very easy schedule this year and their price reflects the fact that the AFC is quite weak this year.

Seahawks should be favourites IMO although they struggled on their only road game this year and they have 4 road games from their next 5 so they will tell a lot.
Report Swardean September 25, 2013 9:33 PM BST
Sideshowbob they were favs at the start of the season and that is what I was referring to... how things change in 3 weeks.

But thats the NFL, we may all have different opinions in another 3.
Report Wallflower September 26, 2013 9:04 AM BST
db1974 25 Sep 13 12:47 
Broncos have had an easy slate so far (Ravens, Giants, Raiders) so I would like to see them against someone decent before making a judgement on them just yet. They have a very easy schedule this year and their price reflects the fact that the AFC is quite weak this year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure where this is coming from - had a bit of a go at Harry about this last week. It's being touted on threads here as fact, but just doesn't stack-up, quite the opposite in fact.

In inter-conference matches this year AFC leads the NFC 11-3!!!Shocked

Big NFC guns, Atlanta, Green Bay and San Francisco were beaten by Miami, Cincinnati and Indianapolis respectively last week.
Report db1974 September 26, 2013 2:30 PM BST
Yeah fair enough. Maybe it's just my pre-conceived notions that the AFC is a little bit weaker.
Report HARRY22 September 26, 2013 3:07 PM BST
That's because it is Wink.........Fair enough you can't really argue the h2h so far is in the AFC favour.  If the 49ers seattle packers and the saints play at 100% they are stronger than the main candidates from the afc.  Shocked So we have Denver, who wants to fill the next 3 spots in the Afc
Report Wallflower September 26, 2013 4:18 PM BST
Harry - you conceded last week the average standard was about the same....I believe that to be the case as well. So you're basing your view on a greater number of contenders, but I think you're basing this on performances in recent years, not what we are actually witnessing.

Two very impressive teams - Denver (AFC) and Seattle (NFC).

From the NFC your contenders:-
49ers - man-handled at home by the Colts last week, look to be in a slump, poor at receiver, expectation they will return to 2012 formConfused - this is not a given in my view, in fact I'm becoming increasingly dubious about this
Saints - just don't buy into them at all, good but very beatable
Packers - no run-game and problematic defense - its all about Aaron Rodgers
Falcons - you don't mention them but I think they may turn out to be more of a threat to Seattle than the 3 above.

However what is poor about the NFC this year, is that most of the so-called "contenders" look weaker than last year but more notably that there doesn't seem to any new contenders progressing from recent years to challenge:-

maybe, just maybe you could make a case for the Detriot Lions (I hope they do - because none of the above will threaten Seattle on current form),

AFC...
have their recent contenders Patriots, Texans too, who will prove difficult to beat, as will Baltimore (intriguing team)

but it looks like in the AFC some really talented teams are emerging.....one at least will surely come from
Miami, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Cincinnati......could be an exciting season in store for fans of these teams

Don't take any pleasure in it as my favourite division is the NFC East.......Eagles fan so biased but traditionally the toughest division in the NFL.
Report DirkDiggler September 26, 2013 4:31 PM BST
The league aside form 2 teams is totally average.

It won't shake itself out until the last 6 weeks of the season.

There's 4-5 awful teams, 2 really good ones all round, and the rest is much of a muchness really, their stars could rise or fall between now and December when the **** really hits the fan.

There's every chance there's going to be another Steelers, Ravens, Giants type SB winner who gets red hot with 4-6 weeks to go and romps home.

Harry is right about the Texans though, they are trash. Put them against any big dog in a big game and they run off with their tail between their legs. Very flattered by playing, until recently, 3 lousy teams 6 times a year. Colts will win that division in a hack canter.
Report db1974 September 26, 2013 4:59 PM BST
I agree with Dirk about the Colts - I don't understand how they are not at least jt-favs with the Texans for that division - 11/4 is a good bet IMO.
Report d13phe September 26, 2013 6:11 PM BST
its far too early in the season to make definitive comments

the Packers are 1-2 and they look stronger to me this year.

Once they get their secondary and Lacy back they will be very tough to beat.

usually have a better idea by weeks 6/7
Report DirkDiggler September 26, 2013 6:45 PM BST
To be fair though, no-one has any idea how Lacy will do. So although it's a plus him coming back, he's not a difference maker by any means yet.
Report d13phe September 26, 2013 6:46 PM BST
Lacy is going to be big for the Packers if he stays fit

he is a thoroughbred.
Report grayhawk September 26, 2013 6:57 PM BST
Wallflower...don't go to sleep on the Packers run game......

There are signs that it could be a different animal this year.....after not having a 100 yard rusher in three years they've now had them in back to back games,running for over 180yds against Cincinnati and that's with their number two and three backs.

Only three games in but positive early signs with Lacy also to add to the mix..... they just have to get them all healthy cos none of them were fit to finish the game on Sunday.
Report Roger De Bris September 26, 2013 7:38 PM BST
some great opinions here.

I thought 49ers were lucky to beat Falcons last year.

It looks like the SB has passed the Niners by after two heartbreeaking years in a row.

Hope I'm wrong though.
Report grayhawk September 26, 2013 7:48 PM BST
Rings aren't handed out after week three Roger.....keep the faith man Grin
Report d13phe September 26, 2013 7:57 PM BST
grayhawk is right

when was the last time a team at the top of a power ranking chart won a superbowl

Teams that have won recently have all faced some form of regular season adversity,
Report DirkDiggler September 26, 2013 8:34 PM BST
Lacy is going to be big for the Packers if he stays fit

he is a thoroughbred.

>>>Too early to say, plenty of 'bama backs have flopped. And I'm a 'bama fan. Tbh with 95% of back it's about the o-line, not the back, there's only one elite back in this league and we know who that is. As great as he is, he's averaging 2.9 a carry, is that AP? or is that the o-line/teams stacking the line because Ponder doesn't scare them?
Report HARRY22 September 26, 2013 10:01 PM BST
Wallflower.....forgot Atlanta,I purposely didn't mention the bears even with the perfect record,not convinced they are good enough but would still rank them higher than 3 of the top 4 afc teams so far. don't get sucked in by teams after 3 weeks,as d13 said too early but a few of you are mentioning the patriots on the back of 3-0 start along with Miami.  Dolphins Laugh do me a favour,I hope this team is not going to be the houston of last year.  So the top 3 are Denver,houston and the patriots.  Denver have been outstanding following the great run they were on last season, patriots 3-0 record is not as good as it looks(poor opposition), houston could easily be 0-3,found out by the ravens but they can stake a clain though if they knock off seattle on sunday  The chargers have done what they usually do and blow games they should win,they are the lions of the afc.  denver followed by the bengals in the afc imo.  great win for the colts in frisco but a loss at home to miami and a tight win v the raiders not that convincing,they will improve imo and win the division,nice running game now.  Unlike miami they have the QB to challenge for the conference.

49ers are not a bad team all of a sudden and despite packer being 1-2 they have impressed me the most.
Report Swardean September 26, 2013 10:17 PM BST
Carolina will make the playoffs IMO, and I think the Pats are only going to get better.  Defence playing great and young offence starting to gel, with big players to come back in, they are contenders for me.

Harry, massive game for 49ers this evening, and I think they are up against it
Report HARRY22 September 26, 2013 10:25 PM BST
which big player apart from gronk are to come back for the patriots? vereen was a big blow.

This is a weak patriots team for me,if they can win this weekend like houston I may change my mind.  Vernon davis should be back tonight,not sure how fit he is to go but they need him on the field,he opens up the offence just being on the field.  Must win for them,if they lose they will be handing out them T-Shirts in the seattle locker room sunday night,you know which ones I mean Grin
Report HARRY22 September 26, 2013 10:26 PM BST
You seem very convinced with this panthers team,is this because of the tight game v seattle? didn't they play a tight game with the hawks last season in carolina?
Report Swardean September 26, 2013 10:27 PM BST
Is Smith playing tonight harry?
Report HARRY22 September 26, 2013 10:30 PM BST
No,don't think he is playing,massive blow,he is a machine.
Report Swardean September 26, 2013 10:31 PM BST
I liked the Carolina defence from mid last season, and thought Newton and Smith could get the offence going with some nice additions.  So I backed them for the division and a few speculative outright bets.

So far they have been ok, kept it close with seattle, threw away a road win against the bills, and hammered giamts.  In a year that could be wide open I just want to keep an eye on them,
Report HARRY22 September 26, 2013 10:32 PM BST
Why not at the price,you will get a few surprise teams this year,look at washington last season.
Report Swagger September 26, 2013 10:50 PM BST
I agree with you Harry on the Packers. It was just a bit of brainlessness and sloppy play which cost them against the Bengals (whose luck will run out eventually). I've also been impressed with the Cowboys, I think as people hate them so much they don't give them any credit but Ware, Lee and Carter have all stayed healthy and been quality on the field this season. Their Defence is looking pretty good and they have a few weapons in offence. People could be right with the 49ers suffering a hangover from the SB, massively disappointing in recent weaks but then i was very impressed with their game against the Packers - surely too early to right them off at this stage.

Only team i disagree with most on is the Bengals. I don't think they will win their division. In my opinion it's a matter of time before Dalton will get exposed and bottle it.
Report Swagger September 26, 2013 10:53 PM BST
What do people think about the Saints?
Report Swardean September 26, 2013 11:04 PM BST
I know harry likes them swagger but I still need convincing, but (never thought I would say this), the D has looked good this year.  Schedule is not too bad either
Report Swagger September 26, 2013 11:15 PM BST
Hi Swardean. Thanks. Hope you are going well. Yes I like the Panthers too but they are in a tough division unfortunately.
Report d13phe September 27, 2013 8:43 AM BST
looks like the 49ers werent so bad after all.

I think the Aldon smith thing had an impact.
Report HARRY22 September 27, 2013 12:24 PM BST
No smith and no willis and still looked very comfortable handling the rams, cowboys did pretty much the same though so not sure you good the performance was.
Report DirkDiggler September 28, 2013 2:01 PM BST
What do people think about the Saints?

>>>Will win that division. We know all about Brees and co and the defense is getting better. Have beat Atl on the road, and are very very strong at home in the dome. One of the best home field advantages in the game. The sneaked a win in TB which wasn't impressive at all, but that game got held up for over an hour, Payton took 3 points off the board at HT. I can overlook one bad performance. TB are a disaster. Carolina on the way up, Atlanta on the way down.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com