Forums

North American

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
HowieTheRookie.
18 Jan 11 22:38
| Topic/replies: 38,834 | Blogger: HowieTheRookie.'s blog
My tickets came this morning Silly Can't stop staring at the them, 9.5 years of saving for what I hope will be one of the best events of my life. 
Sorry for this blatent boasting, I've told just about everyone I know (95% unimpressed) but at least I know a few of the NFL forum will be happy for me Laugh
Pause Switch to Standard View Superbowl XLV
Show More
Report theboymoore January 18, 2011 11:42 PM GMT
Nice work Howie, I'll be in a Detroit Bar watching, not quite the same, but still surrounded by Yanks makes it a little better!!
Report SteelCurtain January 19, 2011 3:29 PM GMT
congratulations howie hope u have great time, if the steelers get there can i have a ticket please pretty please [;)]
Report db1974 January 19, 2011 3:32 PM GMT
Congratulations Howie
Report grayhawk January 19, 2011 4:04 PM GMT
The experience of a lifetime......enjoy it Howie.

You can only imagine how jealous we all are Grin
Report Nilsson Schmilsson January 19, 2011 6:10 PM GMT
i'd have given my small bollock for a ticket to superbowl 42 Cool
Report horse9 January 19, 2011 7:27 PM GMT
Couldn't be happier for anyone who sets their mind on something, works towards their target, and eventually achieves it.
Good luck, have a fantastic trip
Report punkha1 January 19, 2011 7:50 PM GMT
9.5 years jeez thats dedication for you!Sounds like the trip of a lifetime hope you have a great time.
Report HowieTheRookie. January 19, 2011 8:00 PM GMT
Cheers guys, it was a 10 year savings plan I took out when I was 30 to go to the Superbowl directly after my 40th Birthday, however that would have been Indianapolis next year in the snow, so Its been brought forward to this one. 

I'd recommend it to anyone, it was only £25 per month and I've been buying dollars every pay day for the past five years (2.16 to the pound about 4 years ago!!).

It's taken a lot of organising and it's not cheap to do anything whilst the Superbowl is on (car hire, hotels etc).  Fortunatley our hotel is next door to an Irish bar which is the self appointed Texas HQ  for the New Orleans Saints fans (I'm a Saints fan).  They have been very helpful and will provide a safe haven for my parents and babysitters of our son whilst we're at the game.
Report The Gr81 January 19, 2011 8:15 PM GMT
Nice one mate :) enjoy the Packers and Jets game
Report horse9 January 19, 2011 8:19 PM GMT
So who does a Saints fan support in this superbowl ?
Any AFC team I guess ?
Report Hami January 19, 2011 8:59 PM GMT
delighted for you mate, how did you come about tickets ? and are they costly , been thinking of going for a few years now myself

enjoy every min of it , im sure it will be great
Report orioles January 19, 2011 9:06 PM GMT
Nice work, fella.

Have a great time Happy
Report SteelCurtain January 19, 2011 9:31 PM GMT
as a saints fan im sure u think its come 1 year 2 late but when its 10 years in the making u cant choose who will be playing, me & 'er indoors are planning 2 do the same in 2 years time in new orleans shes got friends there & i want 2 go 2 the superbowl, anyway enjoy your trip & watch the steelers lift there 7th superbowl WD again enjoy.
Report HowieTheRookie. January 19, 2011 10:14 PM GMT
Hami - It was a long term plan to use Sports Travel Tours from the UK and go on my own.  However my mate has a villa in Orlando so we've made it this years holiday (hence my parents getting in on the act). 
The price would have been £3200 with them but doing it myself we decided to do it cheaper and get my girlfriend a ticket too (a little wasted on her but she's been to all the wembley games and loved it, she had a great time in the Superdome when we went there 6 years ago). 

We have secured tickets through NFL on Location, they are hospitality, free beer and food for 3 hours before the game (I need to take it easy!).  Again this could have been done cheaper but we didn't want to risk no seats. 
I was told they are available for about $200 above face value on the day BUT i was warned a long time ago if Dallas got there, either of the New York teams or Green Bay, tickets would double/treble in value - I think I've made the right decision
Report HowieTheRookie. January 19, 2011 10:16 PM GMT
looks like I could have a nice holiday in Dallas, sell the tickets and go back next yearLaugh

Cheapest rates on the ticket websites I've been watching have gone up 20-30% already since last week
Report orioles January 19, 2011 10:18 PM GMT
You're taking your lady to Super Bowl weekend? Oh man, Howie, rookie mistake Silly
Report horse9 January 19, 2011 10:30 PM GMT
Howie - is that $3200 for a pair of hospitality tickets ?
How do you get them, is it a draw or just name down early enough and you're in ?

And I make Orioles right, bung her 500 bucks and send her shopping for the da, she'll have a better time and by christ so will you !
Report Ross8481 January 19, 2011 11:08 PM GMT
Congrats Howie, have a great time, and let us know how it goes Grin
Report good value losers January 19, 2011 11:38 PM GMT
i hope you have some cheerleaders lol
imagine that, save for 10 years and end up at a sb with no cheerleaders Sad
Report HowieTheRookie. January 19, 2011 11:47 PM GMT
£3200 was in pounds sterling for Sports travel tours inc. Hotel and flights.  I have paid $2599 for hospitality ticket (approx. £1675 GBP), got a couple of internal flights from Orlando to Dallas and Best Western in Fort Worth - nothing special but within driving distance to the stadium. 

The Thomson sports Holiday company which sponsors the Sky NFL games have a similar package to the one we have.
Report HowieTheRookie. January 19, 2011 11:47 PM GMT
Surely Dallas are providing their cheerleaders obviously not dressed in Blue and whiteConfused
Report good value losers January 20, 2011 1:15 AM GMT
hope so
Report The Prophet Of Profit January 20, 2011 2:38 AM GMT
I need to do this soon.  Dont fancy indy next year though...jesus, what a boring town to put a superbowl in!  Should always be in new orleans, miami, dallas, california or new york imo.  Indianapolis...what were they smoking!

Dont fancy doing it on my own though, and nfl friends of mine are all skint/tight b**tards...i might email milham and see if he fancies going..Laugh
Report HowieTheRookie. January 20, 2011 6:49 PM GMT
Now you say Shocked

count me in if you give it a few years to recover financially from this one
Report Hami January 20, 2011 9:00 PM GMT
are those the cheapest tickets you can get howie or are there other ways of getting them cheaper, im looking at going to NO in 2 years time and have no idea how i would get tickets
Report Hami January 20, 2011 9:05 PM GMT
actually dont mind what seats i would have , just to be there , any idea how soon and how cheap they go on sale pre superbowl
Report horse9 January 20, 2011 10:35 PM GMT
OK cheers Howie

Hami - there are cheaper tickets, you can go to NFL.com ticket exchange and pick up a ticket for around a thousand bucks, my guess is that Howie's ticket will be in a decent spot if he's in the stadium for 3 hours getting fed and watered, I would expect the hospitality boxes to be either be along the touchline or behind the endzone.
To be honest I'd climb up a 'fin ladder and sit on the roof if it meant seeing a superbowl.
£1675 sounds alot but think of it as an experience and the memories you get to keep forever.
Besides, I could do that in an hour at Cheltenham...
Report HowieTheRookie. January 20, 2011 11:38 PM GMT
We're in section 416, if you do a search for Dallas Cowboys Interactive Seating chart to can see where we are.  We could have been lower down but I wanted to be sideline (I don't like NOT seeing how far the line of scrimmage is to make a first down). 

If you're doing New Orleans, you will have an amazing time, the stadium is walking distance from most hotels.  Ticket touts are everywhere and we're told to pay about $1000 each ($200 above face) so long as really popular teams don't make the Superbowl.  I've been in 2 sections of the Louisiana Superdome both we're fantastic views and the people are really friendly (let the locals hear your accent and you'll be welcomed). 

GET SAVING
Report HowieTheRookie. January 21, 2011 1:08 AM GMT
Report anton_chigurh January 21, 2011 2:48 AM GMT
Oh my god, B********STARD!

;)
Report vol n. oven January 21, 2011 3:18 AM GMT
cheap tickets now available......200$ to stand outside the ground. good old jerry, somebody has to pay for the new stadium [;)]
Report good value losers January 21, 2011 11:28 AM GMT
cowboys cheerleaders doing halftime show Love
Report SteelCurtain January 21, 2011 4:46 PM GMT
wow just looking at your pics is making me jealous u lucky thing, cant wait 4 2 years tme definately doing new orleans now.
Report Fru T Bun January 23, 2011 6:15 PM GMT
Go Howie......hope its a belter for you mate and in probably the best stadium in the world!
Report HowieTheRookie. January 24, 2011 3:41 AM GMT
Prices of tickets have gone through the roof - our seats have almost doubled since last week - crazy.  Here's a cut & paste from stubhub

Price:   
$6,538.00 per ticket
Next
|
Back
Price set by the seller in U.S. dollars
Report HARRY22 January 24, 2011 3:41 AM GMT
how much did u pay?
Report HowieTheRookie. January 24, 2011 3:46 AM GMT
$2,599 (£1,678)
Report HARRY22 January 24, 2011 3:49 AM GMT
have u seen a pic of where u will be sat and what the view will be like?

you happy with the 2 teams who made it?
Report HowieTheRookie. January 24, 2011 3:50 AM GMT
Our tickets include entry to the Dallas Cowboys suite with free food & drink (3 hours before kick-off) + $50 voucher for merchandise and a program.  It's going to be mental in Texas with fans of those two teams, they are going to charge $200 to watch the game outside the stadium on HD Screens.
Hope I'm in the NFC side of the stadium, my GF loves the Steelers, I'll be cheering for the Cheeseheads
Report SteelCurtain January 24, 2011 3:51 AM GMT
any chance of u leaving the misses at home howie & letting me have a ticket [;)] have been looking at flights about £500.
Report SteelCurtain January 24, 2011 3:55 AM GMT
any chance of u leaving the misses at home & letting me have a tickrt howie [;)]
Report HARRY22 January 24, 2011 3:58 AM GMT
howie bring me back a cheesehead
Report SteelCurtain January 24, 2011 4:01 AM GMT
been looking at flights about £500 might be worth going just 4 the crac.
Report SatelliteFlight January 24, 2011 11:36 AM GMT
Fair play Howie, im so jealous Laugh it was a good plan and fair play for sticking with it. Hope you have the holiday of a lifetime [;)]
Report Nilsson Schmilsson January 24, 2011 1:10 PM GMT
i'd be seriously considering selling at that price and going to another in a few years Happy
Report CJ January 24, 2011 1:49 PM GMT
Pack Love v Steelers...you couldn't have wished for a bigger match up (if you're a neutral). Little wonder the prices have rocketed. So envious.
Report HARRY22 January 24, 2011 3:50 PM GMT
Why would u sell and go in a few years...perfect superbowl plus its in the best stadium
Report Hami January 24, 2011 7:31 PM GMT
Great results there for ya howie , couldn have asked for a better final

all the best mate and have a great time
Report Nilsson Schmilsson January 24, 2011 7:32 PM GMT
wouldn't mind a free trip to new orleans in 2 years

but then again with the tickets in my hand it would probably be too tough a decision to take.

also, there's every chance my fantasy winning by then would cover a trip there anyway BlushBlush
Report orioles January 24, 2011 8:58 PM GMT
And you could save on the airfare by riding on the back of a flying pig!

I'm shooting for the stars this fantasy baseball season ... top half Cool
Report horse9 January 24, 2011 10:18 PM GMT
Great game for you Howie, I was worried you might end up with Bears/Jets but I think the best outcome for you has materialised.
Have a great trip
Report Jebrusis January 24, 2011 10:20 PM GMT
Super stuff Howie going to be a great close game Packers for me will edge it - have such a balanced offence and defence.  Defence won it for them last night against Bears.  First poor game Rodgers had in the play-off.  Have a great time.
Report Nilsson Schmilsson January 24, 2011 11:21 PM GMT
orioles
Date Joined: 26 Feb 03
Blogger: orioles's blog
Add contact | Send message
When: 24 Jan 11 20:58
And you could save on the airfare by riding on the back of a flying pig!

I'm shooting for the stars this fantasy baseball season ... top half Cool

cheeky sod,

now i know more than half a dozen baseball players and more importantly, the rules, there will be no stopping me Cool
Report HowieTheRookie. January 24, 2011 11:29 PM GMT
Thanks guys for your regards.  Certainly got a marquee match-up for the Superbowl, we've seen some epic finale's for the past 5 or 6 years, I was afraid we were overdue a dud, just glad the Bears didn't make it, I really didn't think they would have justified their place in the big game. 
I'm a fan of both teams and really looking forward to seeing Polamolu, Clay Matthews, Greg Jennings, Randle El and Big Ben just to name a few.  Although with a bit of luck we may get to see a possible new superstar QB in Rodgers.  I'll give you a trip report afterwards and perhaps I've inspired a few of you lot to save your Betfair profits to do your own Superbowl trip in the future.
Report CJ January 25, 2011 11:49 PM GMT
Would love to do a Superbowl, but for me I have to make it to Lambeau first. It's my sporting must do above all others.
Report tiny dave January 26, 2011 12:38 PM GMT
fair play my lad fair play

and least you doing it in styleeeeeeeee

i did the sports travel tour to washington and ny the other year and was well worth the trip (for any others wanting to use them)

noticed you did it through yourself in terms booking flights and superbowl tickets

when did you purchase these? as i'd also like to save up for either next year or the year after. but would like to know roughly when you booked up

ta
Report anton_chigurh January 26, 2011 7:03 PM GMT
Ummm, don't bring the car eh Howie...

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6060856

$900 for a parking spot? WTMF?
Report HowieTheRookie. January 26, 2011 11:22 PM GMT
Tiny,
we booked in October, it was a bit daunting at first but the lady  I was in correspondence with in New York was very friendly and answered a lot of (dumb) questions I had via e-mail
eg.  Is the $2,599 the total amount, no taxes?
Also what is meant by "open bar"

We left it so late because I was considering going on my own using STT, then when my family decided to come with me I had to decide whether to leave it to buy tickets when we got there or buy on Stubhub / Ticketmaster Ticket Exchange (glad we didn't because the prices have gone mental).
Report HowieTheRookie. January 26, 2011 11:26 PM GMT
Anton - I've heard about the inflated parking charges, however the tickets we have allow us to pre-purchase a parking pass at $85 (snip!!).  However we're not hiring a car and hopefully going to organise some transport from one of the hotels where we are situated.  The location of the stadium is the big downside to the whole trip, very poor transport links.

Tiny - you should wait for New Orleans, it's walking distance to the amazing atmospheric Superdome, the people and bars (& food) in New Orleans are brilliant.
Report Hami January 27, 2011 1:42 AM GMT
howie, any chance you could give us the number or website you booked with just for future reference.

Im planning on seeing the saints this year no matter what , maybe they could help me with that ??

anyway again good luck pal
Report The Prophet Of Profit January 27, 2011 3:52 AM GMT
Go and see the jags instead, they need the help
Report HowieTheRookie. January 27, 2011 8:34 PM GMT
www.nflonlocation.com
Report HowieTheRookie. January 27, 2011 8:34 PM GMT
Saints tickets are easy to get hold of [;)]
Report sewter lives again January 28, 2011 8:24 PM GMT
have a great time howie you lucky sod!!
hopefully steelers will do the biz
Report Lifetaker January 28, 2011 11:21 PM GMT
Now that's great to hear : HowieTheRookie.  .. and the Way it should be, " Show women this knid of PASSION and your Bed will never be empty " [;)]

Should be a great game, with lot's here wishing they were You. ENJOY, ENJOY, ~ E N J O Y !
I showing a larger green on GB will I even out ?
Report San Quentin January 28, 2011 11:31 PM GMT
have a great trip howie,big ben for a great win for me.
Report HowieTheRookie. January 29, 2011 9:26 AM GMT
I showing a larger green on GB will I even out ?

Me too - I really fancied the Pack pre-season and would normally be at least £2k green on them by this stage, but I bailed some when their RB went out for the season and I haven't really managed to load back up.  +£720 Packers -£80 Steelers. 

I haven't fancied Pittsburgh at any stage this season but managed to get a -£450 to -£80
Report HowieTheRookie. January 29, 2011 9:30 AM GMT
And thanks again for the best wishes guys, It's nervous excitement in our house today. Just been quoted $190 return trip to the stadium (19 miles away!!!).  I think I need to practice my american accent a bit more.
Report HARRY22 January 29, 2011 1:51 PM GMT
LOL Lifetaker..mentalist
Report San Quentin January 29, 2011 4:31 PM GMT
do it yourself mate .it looks hard but it certainly wont be on superbowl weekend
Report HARRY22 February 3, 2011 4:56 PM GMT
Hope you have wrapped up well howie...its warmer here ffs Cool
Report tiny dave February 12, 2011 6:42 PM GMT
how was the game? everything run smoohtly for you?
Report horse9 February 14, 2011 10:28 PM GMT
Maybe he had such a good time he cashed in the return flight...
Report grayhawk February 17, 2011 11:49 AM GMT
Come on Howie....you MUST have returned by now...surely! Grin
Report tiny dave February 25, 2011 4:08 PM GMT
come on....

you cant boast without telling us the story! im guessing he want pick this up until nfl activity starts again! but would love to here how awesome his trip was....(presuming everything went smoothly)
Report HowieTheRookie. February 25, 2011 10:04 PM GMT
I'm backCry

It was absolutely fecking amazing, sorry about the late response we went to Orlando after Texas for a couple of weeks (did the Daytona 500 qualifying).  Thinking back the experience still fills me with butterflies it was just so good.  The whole time from landing on the Thursday afternoon to getting back to the hotel after the game was exciting.  My parents said it must have been what like VE day must have been like, they are not that old but it's just how the atmosphere was, both sets of fans respected each other and the camaraderie perhaps this was amplified because the Packers/Steelers fans had extra difficulties getting to North Texas because of the bad weather.
Report HowieTheRookie. February 25, 2011 10:14 PM GMT
We stayed at Fort Worth which itself is a great interesting place but you lot want to know about the Superbowl.  For an NFL fan, it's simply heaven on earth, entertainment all week long, lovely fans who were extra friendly towards us Brits.  From the minute we landed the airport was decorated in XLV logo's and info, everywhere you look it's Superbowl, Superbowl, Superbowl.

Hope this is making sense and I will post more soon (bit drunk at the moment, been at a family do -  cos' my uncle passed away whilst we were in the States - talk about highs and lows).
Report HowieTheRookie. February 25, 2011 10:19 PM GMT
Will sign off tonight by saying if anyone is seriously thinking about ever going to the game, it may take you years to plan, save up, no matter how long it takes (took me almost 10 years).  It's worth every penny and more, it was an experience I'll never forget, the best day of my life and I have no regrets about spending the cash.
Report grayhawk February 25, 2011 11:07 PM GMT
Good on yer Howie.....good to hear you enjoyed it as much as you did and weren't one of the unlucky hundreds who didn't get a seat.

Sorry to hear of your families loss Sad

Have you started saving up for next year yet [;)]
Report HARRY22 February 25, 2011 11:49 PM GMT
nice one howie...best team won as well Grin
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com