Forums

North American

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
nooky
29 Aug 09 13:15
| Topic/replies: 70 | Blogger: nooky's blog
Love this game, last year one of the forumites (sorry, can't remember who) finished high in the top 1% of this competition, which was great going as there are usually over 100,000 entries worldwide.

For newbies, you get a budget and can choose any players you want any week.

Players values go up and down and you can s** players as much as you want as long as you stay under total budget.

Following is a blatant rip-off of runandskip's text:

Log onto espn.com (sign up if your not a member -- its free)
Go to 'fantasy and games' then 'gridiron challenge'

'create entry' ie your team name, 'my groups' , 'create or join'

in search type 'Betfair NFL Challenge' (make sure Access is set to private)

click on 'Betfair NFL Challenge' and password is 'fairbet'

see you all there :)

may the best Man/Woman win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 64
By:
-= coked up pansy =-
When: 29 Aug 09 16:24
Hello all :)

Thanks for setting this up nookie! I'm in, my seasons ambitions are to finish off the bottom.

Gl all
By:
nooky
When: 29 Aug 09 16:48
it was 'good value losers' who won last season finishing in the top 500 of 200, 000 entries...

I know this now because he kept a note of last year's thread and just put it to the top again

this year he sleeps with the fishes :)
By:
Tom Petty is God
When: 29 Aug 09 18:34
only about 5 were doing this after about 10 weeks (unless they were fecking useless and i couldn't tell)
By:
runandskip
When: 29 Aug 09 20:33
Not done this one before Nooky but the Clowns are in :)

hope you paid for the 'copyright' :p
By:
nooky
When: 29 Aug 09 22:42
The fee was a bit high but the cheque is in the post
By:
good value losers
When: 30 Aug 09 10:19
nooky 29 Aug 18:48
this year he sleeps with the fishes

lucky fishes :p
By:
runandskip
When: 30 Aug 09 23:28
^
By:
DoggyLFC
When: 31 Aug 09 13:07
Doggys Doers are in :)

I take it this is something like NFLUK's fantasy game then?
By:
DoggyLFC
When: 31 Aug 09 13:14
Line-up sorted.
By:
nooky
When: 31 Aug 09 14:46
@ Doggy, yip, except the values of the players change from week to week. So you might spot a bargain in the early weeks and then have the option drop him later if his value increased, using the profit to strengthen other parts of your team.

@ gv losers... Holy Mackerel!..."lucky fishes"?...On your pike - your victory last year was spawny. If you are angling for a battle....well....the sharks are circling...and plenny of guys will be ready to take you down....if you lose you arent going to carp are you?

Who will win? Runandskip? eel give it his best shot, I'm sure.

I'll stop there... been away from this plaice for a while and I can tell people are starting to grunt....I don't want knifejaw or someone to hook my minnow - better skate off and find that slimehead who owes me sick squid.
By:
runandskip
When: 01 Sep 09 20:55
^
By:
jacob_TA
When: 02 Sep 09 11:22
nooky? If you buy Manning for instance and lock him in at $6million, and his value goes up to $7million, if you release him, you don't get an additional $1million to spend. You always have a set amount for your whole team, just by locking someone up early it saves you money when he tears it up!
However, your gonna have to drop everyone once anyway, as they'll have a bye week, then you lose the saving
By:
nooky
When: 03 Sep 09 02:11
Hi jacob,

How goes things, hope you don't mind me setting this up, didn't see you had said you were going to do it until it was too late.

If as you say Manning goes up in value from $6 to $7 million

and my total current spend is, say, $49.6 million out of $50 million maximum ($0.4 million spare)

if I swap out Manning and use a QB who costs the same as Manning's original price (so taking the $1 million profit)

instead of having just $0.4 million to spend I'll have $1.4 million,
which I can invest in a better running back etc.

If my replacement QB costs less than than the original $6 million, then I'll have even more left to spend on the rest of the team if I want too.

The max spend always stays at $50 million.

Think that is correct, although wouldn't bet my life on it.
By:
Tom Petty is God
When: 03 Sep 09 11:19
no i wouldn't either
By:
Tom Petty is God
When: 03 Sep 09 11:22
infact reading it, you are totally wrong

the other poster has it right

if you take a player and he does well and so his price goes up, if you keep him he is locked in at the original price, you dont get extra money
By:
good value losers
When: 03 Sep 09 11:26
i don't think i ever used any 1 player in consecutive weeks anyway
By:
Tom Petty is God
When: 03 Sep 09 11:27
you mean you didn't have warner last year?
By:
good value losers
When: 03 Sep 09 11:28
not in consecutive weeks. or maybe, can't swear to it either way. it depends on the matchups.
By:
Tom Petty is God
When: 03 Sep 09 12:18
i'm in
By:
nooky
When: 03 Sep 09 13:53
ok, I'm confused more than usual

After Week1, before changing your team each week, you have the option to hit a button, I think it is called 'renegotiate salaries'' and that changes the money you have left to spend, taking account of the change in values of the players from when you signed them...how does that work again?

'cos i know for sure that I used it to somehow free up funds last year

And was just thinking... pretty sure the total 'bought' value of your squad cannot go over $50 million, but if the values rise over time then you can have a squad that is valued at over $50 million at market prices.
By:
Tom Petty is God
When: 03 Sep 09 14:31
IT ONLY CHANGES THE VALUES OF THOSE THAT HAVE GONE DOWN
By:
brentford
When: 03 Sep 09 15:02
no, goes up as well, played it last year until about mid season...you have to pick appropriate times to press the renegotiate salary button to maximise your benefit.
By:
Tom Petty is God
When: 03 Sep 09 15:03
NO IT DOESN'T
By:
brentford
When: 03 Sep 09 15:04
or if I worded it wrongly, you can certainly have a squad who's market value becomes way over the original cap.
By:
Tom Petty is God
When: 03 Sep 09 15:04
yes you can, a few people on here seem to not know the difference between up and down
By:
brentford
When: 03 Sep 09 15:20
well the fundamental is still that if you bought a cheap player who massively increases in value and you recalculate his value - you could then free up available funds by cashing in on his success to bring in someone else.

I'm not entirely following what the specific confusion is having re read the thread.
By:
ACE KICKER
When: 03 Sep 09 16:32
im in thats 11
By:
Tom Petty is God
When: 03 Sep 09 21:07
NO YOU CANNOT CASH IN ON HIS SUCCESS FFS

YOU CAN KEEP HIM AT THE ORIGINAL VALUE OR DITCH HIM AND FREE UP FUNDS (THE ORIGINAL VALUE YOU PAID)
By:
nooky
When: 03 Sep 09 22:56
still a bit hazy,

but I'm sure that after each week, some players have a red '-' symbol against their name and a figure beside it showing the amount their value has dropped

and some players have a green '+' symbol against their name and a figure beside it showing the amount their value has risen.

Either way, individual players' values definitely can go up or can go down each week.

If you can only trade out at the original buying price with no 'profit' I don't see the point of the individual values rising...if you are half way through the season and your squads market value has risen hugely (each player currently more expensive), why would u risk dropping a top player for one week, when it would cost you a fortune to buy him back the next week....the incentive would be to stick with the same squad for the rest of the season, which isn't really the point of the game as i see it.

I think it would make it more interesting if you had to s** a minimum 2 or 3 players each week. Anyway we will soon find out what the score is...Bengals 45 - Bears 3
By:
Tom Petty is God
When: 03 Sep 09 22:58
If you can only trade out at the original buying price with no 'profit' I don't see the point of the individual values rising..

THERE IS MORE THAN JUST YOU IN THE LEAGUE, IS EVERYONE ON HERE THICK?????
By:
nooky
When: 03 Sep 09 23:00
it would appear so...thankfully not long until the truth is revealed
By:
Tom Petty is God
When: 03 Sep 09 23:03
I HAVE TOLD YOU THE **ING TRUTH
By:
brentford
When: 04 Sep 09 14:29
think Tom must be correct,
nobody would be that agitated at it's misrepresentation if they weren't 100% certain... :D

apologies for adding to the confusion, must have mis remembered it or played a subtly different version elsewhere.
By:
nooky
When: 05 Sep 09 22:38
Up to 13 now, thanks all for joining...last year we did 19...

roll up, roll up all welcome
By:
lippy
When: 06 Sep 09 00:56
in
By:
runandskip
When: 07 Sep 09 09:39
^
By:
nooky
When: 08 Sep 09 21:00