Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
monarch
08 May 21 18:36
| Topic/replies: 286 | Blogger: monarch's blog
Anybody got any info on this person, who was champion NH owner here in 1982?

I see he owned the Irish National winner but i'm curious what other horses he may have owned, or how long he was on the scene. Was a bit before my time so it's not a name i'm familiar with, and standard searches on the web are not much help.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 5
By:
Eddie Batt
When: 09 May 21 18:16
Slightly before my time -I think Michael O Brien rode for him in the States.Was King Spruce the Irish National winner.
By:
alans
When: 10 May 21 22:54
Russell ("Rusty") Carrier owned King Spruce, the 1982 Irish Grand National winner, trained by Michael O'Brien.

Michael, who started out in racing with the Taaffe family, was a successful rider over jumps in the US until a life-changing fall which confined him to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. When he started to train back in Ireland, he was supported by several American owners, including Rusty, who rode here occasionally as an amateur.

Rusty's wife Joy was a granddaughter of Mrs Miles Valentine, whose pink with cherry hearts colours were well known in this part of the world, on horses such as the Mouse Morris-trained Cahervilalhow, and much earlier, the Phonsie O'Brien-trained Galway Plate winner Carraroe. Her husband had some decent horses with Vincent in the mid-60s.

Joy (under her maiden name Slater) became the first woman to ride the Maryland Hunt Cup winner on the Irish-bred Cancottage in 1981. The pair won it again in 1982.

Rusty trained jumpers in Virginia for a long time and was also involved as part-owner of Hardest Core who beat Aidan O'Brien's Magician in the 2014 Arlington Million. He would not be an old man, I guess mid-to-late 60s, because as far as I remember he was only in his 20s when he had King Spruce.
By:
alans
When: 10 May 21 22:59
Cahervillahow..another good horse for Mrs Valentine was 1968 Powers Gold Cup winner Bold Fencer (trained by Phonsie)
By:
punchestown
When: 11 May 21 08:50
I remember the jockey Mr R Carrier on the racecard back in the day.
By:
monarch
When: 11 May 21 10:14
Great stuff lads. Many thanks for the info.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com